Locked Bootloader rooted with 3.1

Search This thread

Riztnack

Jun 7, 2010
I have just installed 3.1 and have gotten root on my white 16gb retail verison, I will post instructions hopefully tonight.

*bootloader is still locked =/

Please Hit me up on Gtalk if you need anything at all. I am almost always available. Riztnack@gmail.com

Update*
I found this work for me and these are the steps that I have taken.

First:
Go to this link
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1119492

Follow the instructions there, once you reboot your tab you will get alot of FC, it is because of the stock android keyboard dictionary. You can curb the FC by switching the keyboard to Samsung keyboard.

Once this step is complete, download this
Root exploit

Place in on the root of your SD card

Turn off your tab

-press and hold the power button
-once the samsung galaxy 10.1 comes up push the volume down button
-release the buttons, this will display two icons
-push the volume down once to select the left icon, then press volume up to enter
-this will load up the stock recovery
-select the option to install update from SD card
-install the root/SU file you just downloaded and put on your SD card
-reboot into android

once rebooted, you should have root. but you still have a little bit of system instability.
-download this
http://droidbasement.com/galaxy/sys-backup/hc_31/hc-3.1_ota-full_sam_tab_10.1.zip
-put it on the root of your SD card
-download the free verison of rom manager
-open it, select the top option, flash clockworkmod recovery, select samsung galaxy tab 10.1
-you should now have CWM flashed

Turn off your tab

-push the volume down once to select the left icon, then press volume up to enter
-this will load up the clockwork recovery

*******DONT WIPE*******

-install the hc-3.1_ota-full_sam_tab_10.1.zip

it will take a little while to install, give it a few.

-Reboot

it will take a while on the samsung screen, give it a few.

once the tab is booted back up, check the version. 3.1
you can go back to using the stock android keyboard as well now.

You also might notice that you have lost root now.

Just reflash the root/su file that we did through the stock. reboot and you have a locked 3.1 with root tab =)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/Riztnack/IMG_20110619_225807.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/Riztnack/IMG_20110619_225737.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/Riztnack/IMG_20110619_225646.jpg

credit
SS2006
pershoot
oxeneers
more people I am sure! Thanks

If you like the research I did please donate to Riztnack@gmail.com through www.paypal.com

Last edited:

klebs89

Jul 17, 2010
Worked perfectly on a 16 gb retail gray with locked boot loader.

I followed the instructions to the letter. For good measure, i then did a factory reset, followed by a re-root. Boot loader is still locked (as was expected) but considering the speed this was done in, I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

Looks like those two failed exchanges today looking for an unlocked tab were a big waste of time.

Only clarification I want to make is there is no need to check for the OTA (credit for this also to Riztnack)

Absolutely brilliant work.

Reactions: Riztnack

kirdroid

Feb 21, 2011
Seattle
How do you get into download mode for Odin? I'm trying Power + Vol down, then VOl up. I get a screen with Android icon saying downloading and it goes off immediately.
How do i make it stay on the downloading screen, so that i can flash the file thu Odin as per Step 1?

EDIT : Nevermind got into download mode...was doing it wrong :)

kirdroid

Feb 21, 2011
Seattle
Can someone please post a mirror or dropbox link for hc-3.1_ota-full_sam_tab_10.1.zip file?

I'm having trouble downloading the file from the server posted in the OP :confused:

kirdroid

Feb 21, 2011
Seattle
Can someone please post a mirror or dropbox link for hc-3.1_ota-full_sam_tab_10.1.zip file?

I'm having trouble downloading the file from the server posted in the OP :confused:

Never mind looks like the download link is down for the 3.1 update.
I will try that tomorrow morning, but im now rooted :)

Thanks a bunch OP.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Premium App

Lou2serious

Jun 9, 2009
Orange county
i take it this method would also work on a retail 10.1 with a unlocked bootloader ??
Does anyones's retail model show a lock on the bootscreen similar to the nexus phones? I picked mine up today and I was wondering did I have a happy accident.

here's a pic.

IMG_20110619_223419.jpg

klebs89

Jul 17, 2010
Does anyones's retail model show a lock on the bootscreen similar to the nexus phones? I picked mine up today and I was wondering did I have a happy accident.

here's a pic.

[picture]

Your boot loader is unlocked (many people's are). Check the other root thread for other people with your situation(even though apparently this method should work as well).

Framedtrash

how do you tell if your bootloader is unlocked? is it possible before buying?

you would have to boot the tab up to check if the bootloader is unlocked
at the moment it doesn't matter as we can get root on both the unlocked and locked bootloaders
you only need a unlocked bootloader for flashing new kernals and at the moment we dont have any
the guys got root access in only a few days im sure they will work out how to crack the bootloader soon enough

nagmier

Jun 5, 2010
Holiday
worked for me, i am getting a few fc(acore,gapps are a cpl processes i noticed) here and there but otherwise it seems good

droxid

Dec 20, 2010
Yay rooted! Kinda Painless....

although when I was flashing cwm it didnt ask for su permissions and it forceclosed. I needed a reboot and that did it :)

Thanks bud you're the best.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have just installed 3.1 and have gotten root on my white 16gb retail verison, I will post instructions hopefully tonight.

*bootloader is still locked =/

Please Hit me up on Gtalk if you need anything at all. I am almost always available. Riztnack@gmail.com

Update*
    I found this work for me and these are the steps that I have taken.

First:
    Go to this link
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1119492

Follow the instructions there, once you reboot your tab you will get alot of FC, it is because of the stock android keyboard dictionary. You can curb the FC by switching the keyboard to Samsung keyboard.

Once this step is complete, download this
    Root exploit

Place in on the root of your SD card

Turn off your tab

-this will load up the stock recovery
    -install the root/SU file you just downloaded and put on your SD card
    -reboot into android

once rebooted, you should have root. but you still have a little bit of system instability.
    -download this
    http://droidbasement.com/galaxy/sys-backup/hc_31/hc-3.1_ota-full_sam_tab_10.1.zip
    -put it on the root of your SD card
    -download the free verison of rom manager
    -open it, select the top option, flash clockworkmod recovery, select samsung galaxy tab 10.1
    -you should now have CWM flashed

Turn off your tab

-this will load up the clockwork recovery

*******DONT WIPE*******

-install the hc-3.1_ota-full_sam_tab_10.1.zip

it will take a little while to install, give it a few.

-Reboot

it will take a while on the samsung screen, give it a few.

once the tab is booted back up, check the version. 3.1
    you can go back to using the stock android keyboard as well now.

You also might notice that you have lost root now.

Just reflash the root/su file that we did through the stock. reboot and you have a locked 3.1 with root tab =)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/Riztnack/IMG_20110619_225807.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/Riztnack/IMG_20110619_225737.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/Riztnack/IMG_20110619_225646.jpg

credit
    SS2006
    pershoot
    oxeneers
    more people I am sure! Thanks

If you like the research I did please donate to Riztnack@gmail.com through www.paypal.com
    Worked Perfect!

It took me 3 hours to get it rooted but worked perfect!
    You have to actually go through all the steps, I have a retail white 16GB from BestBuy.

I took a video while I did it:

THANKS, I've got a stable Tab 10.1 rooted!
    Worked perfectly on a 16 gb retail gray with locked boot loader.

I followed the instructions to the letter. For good measure, i then did a factory reset, followed by a re-root. Boot loader is still locked (as was expected) but considering the speed this was done in, I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

Looks like those two failed exchanges today looking for an unlocked tab were a big waste of time.

Only clarification I want to make is there is no need to check for the OTA (credit for this also to Riztnack)

Absolutely brilliant work.
    EDIT: Ignore this, there was something wrong with my USB port. It worked fine after restarting my laptop

I had to exchange my tab and i'm trying to root on my new tab and getting an error on the first step in Odin. I tried with both USB debugging disabled and enabled, but still same. Anyone know why I get this error?

<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
    <OSM> Please wait..
    <OSM> PDA_SIGNED_P7105.tar.md5 is valid.
    <OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
    <OSM> Leave CS..
    <ID:0/007> Odin v.3 engine (ID:7)..
    <ID:0/007> File analysis..
    <ID:0/007> SetupConnection..
    <ID:0/007> Can't open the serial(COM) port.

<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Two things, are you in download mode or still powered on when you are trying? Flashing with ODIN requires to be in download mode.

Second, are you plugged straight into the computer or using a hub? Always plug directly into a USB port on the motherboard if you are getting issues.
    So, if you have the locked bootloader, you can ROOT but not flash custom kernels/roms etc?

I found this talking about Nexus One and explains locked bootloaders. I don't know if this is necessarily true for tablet but it should explain whats going on.

http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile...-bootloader-on-android-phones-complete-guide/