[APP] WebSharing 2.0: view/transfer files/media via browser/WiFi

Search This thread

MAX_G

upgrade from full version to v2

hi fantastic app about to buy the paid version but wanted to confirm if paid customers will be able to access the v2 features when the not beta v2 full is released or will this be a different product ?

max

Reactions: tliebeck

tliebeck

Sep 15, 2010
Southern California
I tried it in Chrome version 30.0.1599.66 no extentions loaded (I also tried disabling the popup blokker but that didn't work also)
I tried it in IE version 10.0.9200.16686 no extentions loaded
My PC is using windows 7

Thanks, this is really quite odd. I have a Win7 test machine with identical versions (well, Chrome is within .03). You're seeing this same crash in both browsers?

This error is the web framework crashing at startup. Is there any antivirus/firewall software that could be filtering JavaScript?

tliebeck

Sep 15, 2010
Southern California
New release available, r2010 / 2.0.0.b10. Very minor changes:

• Fixed bug where selection was cleared on context-click if Ctrl-key was not still held down.
  • Trivial UI cleanups.
  • Wi-Fi connectivity monitor is now disabled-by-default (can be re-enabled by settings).

This should be available in the Play Store shortly and is also available via direct download (Lite Version). See second post in thread.

pappaman

Nov 8, 2008
Thanks, this is really quite odd. I have a Win7 test machine with identical versions (well, Chrome is within .03). You're seeing this same crash in both browsers?

This error is the web framework crashing at startup. Is there any antivirus/firewall software that could be filtering JavaScript?

Same crash at exactly the same point in both browsers.
I disabled my router firewall (very crude one)
I disabled Windows firewall
I disabled ESET antivirus
I disabled Malware Bytes
and tried again.. same result, javascript error in consoles and no login dialog.

I'll go downstairs now to fetch my tablet and try again.

pappaman

Nov 8, 2008

I tried it on my TF101 tablet and everything worked fine.
So I started eliminating possibilities and after trying all sorts of settings I decided to replace my loved dorimanx kernel with phil's touch kernel.
After doing a reboot of my phone with phil's installed everything worked fine, so the problem seems to be the dorimanx kernel.
However, I love this kernel because of the speed and battery power it gives me.
I'll reinstall the dorimanx kernel an try a liitle bit of fiddling with the settings, but for now your great app does not work with my setup. :crying:

pappaman

Nov 8, 2008
I decided to try wifiDroid and that runs fine with my dorimanx kernel.
Although the interface on WebSharing 2.0 is better looking and Websharing 2.0 has a lot more features like webDav, Drag and Drop, Guest access, Satus page, Monitor function, etc.
For now I'll stick with wifiDroid until this one works with my kernel.

tliebeck

Sep 15, 2010
Southern California
I tried it on my TF101 tablet and everything worked fine.
So I started eliminating possibilities and after trying all sorts of settings I decided to replace my loved dorimanx kernel with phil's touch kernel.
After doing a reboot of my phone with phil's installed everything worked fine, so the problem seems to be the dorimanx kernel.
However, I love this kernel because of the speed and battery power it gives me.
I'll reinstall the dorimanx kernel an try a liitle bit of fiddling with the settings, but for now your great app does not work with my setup. :crying:

Very strange that a kernel would cause this type of behavior. At the point the crash occurs, WebSharing is just trying to serve static text documents from its built-in webserver, and it appears something comes through corrupt.

pappaman

Nov 8, 2008
Very strange that a kernel would cause this type of behavior. At the point the crash occurs, WebSharing is just trying to serve static text documents from its built-in webserver, and it appears something comes through corrupt.

I believe you on your word if you say a kernel should not affect something like this.
Fact is it seems to be the cause of my problems with the app.
Maybe you could contact the maker of the dorimanx kernel (also here on xda) and asked him what his views are on this.
If I get the time, i'll try some other kernels and see if there are side-effects.

Skeese

May 8, 2007
OP, do you have plans to increase the price of WebSharing after the release of 2.0?

xchatter

Access via 3g

That's be the 1.x version, 2.0 doesn't have the e-mail feature any more.

That said, the mobile network behavior will likely be the same with 2.0. I've left mobile network support in place in case anyone can use it, but generally speaking, most carriers block it, at least in the US.

Does that mean that this feature will not be developed ? My carrier does not block such traffic(Bulgaria).
I think this option is a big PLUS for people with unlimited data plans and further development would be appreciated.
Thnak you for the response anyways. :)

tliebeck

Sep 15, 2010
Southern California
Does that mean that this feature will not be developed ? My carrier does not block such traffic(Bulgaria).
I think this option is a big PLUS for people with unlimited data plans and further development would be appreciated.
Thnak you for the response anyways. :)

The feature isn't being removed, it should still work in 2.0 where carriers support it.

Calvat

Jul 20, 2013
I love the concept of this, too many times the USB cable is a small hassle.

A stupid question but does the PC need to be running through WiFi itself, too?
Can it go from the phone (via Wifi) then to a computer that uses ethernet? 'Cause I don't know anyone who uses Wifi for their computer.

Just trying to diagnose my own problem. I can launch 'im up and everything, but when I try transfer a file across (There isn't a limitation to the size is there?), it just stops at some random interval (usually very early on before any transfer actually occurs), claims it to be done and then 'scanning media', then the network for the computer crashes - and only the computer, forcing the connection to be severed; Also requiring a fix of the network options for the computer (Troubleshoot) or a restart.

, Thanks.

Edit: I intend to use this app mostly at my friends since I download stuff there but never use a cable, but the above message was written when using his computer.
I'm at home now and tried it with my computer and nothing loaded, it didn't even connect to the phone - however turning off Wifi then back on again solved that issue and, at least for my computer I can transfer the data between Computer to Phone - at a remarkable rate at that. This is pretty great, I thought the speeds would be worse.
So there's a simple tip for anyone... Try restarting your phone's Wifi via setting lol.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WebSharing is an app that lets you view/transfer files and media between your Android device and a computer using a Web browser over a Wi-Fi network. The 1.x version line has been out for an age (since '09), this thread is about 2.0 and future development.

The 2.0 beta is currently available, I'd greatly appreciate any help testing it. See next post for info on obtaining it via Google Play Store beta channel and/or direct download.

The most significant improvements in 2.0 (vs 1.x) are:
    • Drag-and-drop file/folder uploading (included in the free version, without any limitations).
    • Holo UI in the Android app, and in the web browser.
    • Flash is no longer required for advanced features (they're all implemented in HTML5 with Flash fallback).
    • Still no ads.

To start using WebSharing, make sure you're connected to Wi-Fi, then open the app and tap the "Start" button. You'll see a screen like the one below:

App.png

Follow the directions on the screen, pointing your computer's Web browser at the address shown. You'll then see a WebSharing welcome screen that looks like this:

Welcome.png

Enter the random generated password and click "Continue". (You can set a permanent custom password in the settings, if you prefer.)

Once you're logged in, you can browse around the filesystem. Double-click to open or download items. Single click to select them. Ctrl+Click to select multiple items. Use the pulldown menu in the upper left corner perform file operations, or just right-click on files.

Files_List.png

WebSharing 2 has an all-new HTML5-based file upload system:

• Files can be uploaded by dragging them into the browser window.
    • You can drag multiple files in at once.
    • If you use Google Chrome, you can upload entire folder hierarchies by dragging them into the browser.
    • You can drag in more files while files are uploading, they'll be added to the queue.
    • You can navigate to other folders while files are uploading, and then drag files into those locations. They'll be added to the queue as well.
    • You can also use the "File" menu to upload files if you'd prefer not to use drag-and-drop.
    • Older browsers can still use legacy file upload controls.
    • You can click anywhere in the upload progress area to see a detailed view of upload progress.
    • In 2.0, the multiple file upload system is now a free feature (in 1.x, only the paid version allowed multiple file upload via a Flash-based control).
    • All of this is provided in the free version, without any limitations.

When files are dragged in (or uploaded using the File menu), the progress bar will appear at the bottom of the screen:

Files_Upload.png

All the features shown up to this point are completely free. Like FX File Explorer and WebSharing 1.x, the paid version of WebSharing adds media support, i.e., direct access to music, photos, and videos.

In the full version, you can click the music tab to browse/play music. Double-click on a track to start streaming music from the phone to the web browser. You can listen to streamed music while performing other tasks.

Music_Tracks.png

You can browse music by track, artist, album, or playlist. The screenshot below shows the by-album view. Music can be directly uploaded by dragging files into the music view. Files uploaded here will be placed in a folder that you configure in the app's settings (the default is the "Music" folder on your device's primary storage/SD Card).

Music_Albums_Upload.png

Clicking the photos tab allows you to browse all images stored on the device. The new "Thumbnail Size" slider can be used to zoom in/out.

Photos_Small.png

WebSharing uses my usual free/paid model:

* Free version is free, paid version is cheaper than dirt.
    * No ads in either version.
    * Free version is not a watered down trial with a bunch of limitations. It's very usable and many users will only need it.
    * The paid version adds more stuff.
    * Neither version phones home, collects personal information, or does any other "doubleplusungood" things.
    Getting WebSharing 2.0 BETA

2.0 beta can be downloaded by joining this Google+ community:
    https://plus.google.com/communities/117280636679203185116

Then visit one of the following links to "opt-in" to the beta program:

For WebSharing Lite (the free version):
    https://play.google.com/apps/testing/nextapp.websharing

For WebSharing (the paid version):
    https://play.google.com/apps/testing/nextapp.websharing.r1

Once you've opted in, visit the Play Store and install it, you'll get 2.0 beta.

DIRECT DOWNLOAD: Alternatively you can download the Lite version APK directly here: http://android.nextapp.com/websharing/r2014/WebSharingLite_r2014.apk
    New Beta version is now available, 2.0.0.12.

A new BETA release, 2.0.0.12 is now available. I've dropped the "b" designation from the release as these are release candidates and one will eventually be pushed to the production channel. There are quite a number of additional features I'd like to see in 2.0, but will be adding them in the 2.x line rather than forcing 2.0 to wait them.

Changes in this release:
    • Automatic start and automatic stop. Both of these features are on by default but can be disabled. Auto stop should not occur when uploads/downloads are processing, or when videos/music are playing.
    • Fixed bug in album listing where incorrect album would be opened after upload.
    • Fixed Android UI layout issues and enlarged password text.

Sorry for the long delay on this version, have been distributing time between FX, SystemPanel, and WebSharing.
    2.0.1 is now available from the Play Store.

This fixes issues with both Chrome 32 and IE 11 (corrected annoying "you have IE6" warning). Thanks again all for the reports!

Much better than wifidroid in my opinion. :good: