[Q] Black screen

Search This thread

thebguard

Oct 19, 2008
Hi,

I am using the FatToad custom rom. Whenever I turn on my phone via power button the screen stays black. It doesn't look like the backlight is on. However, the menu button and back button light up. I tried using the volume rockers and home button to power on the screen but it's the same.

The screen does turn on after a couple tries. I have to press power button on (lights turn on), turn off, then back on. The number of tries varies. If I turn it off and back on immediately- then it comes back right away. Whenever I am done with a call, the screen stays off and I have to press the power button to get the screen back. I tried setting the phone to turn the screen on when plugging in charger cable but screen doesn't turn on right away. The auto-brightness seems to be working properly.

I didn't have this issue running the stock relay 4g rom. I have also tried the CarbonMod rom and OmniToad roms to see if it helped but would rather not have to go back to stock unless I need to.
I can live it with it but if anyone has a resolution it would be super awesome. Hopefully it's something simple that I messed up and not the phone itself!

Thanks,
-Alan

REV3NT3CH

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 30, 2012
Crescent City
Hi,

I am using the FatToad custom rom. Whenever I turn on my phone via power button the screen stays black. It doesn't look like the backlight is on. However, the menu button and back button light up. I tried using the volume rockers and home button to power on the screen but it's the same.

The screen does turn on after a couple tries. I have to press power button on (lights turn on), turn off, then back on. The number of tries varies. If I turn it off and back on immediately- then it comes back right away. Whenever I am done with a call, the screen stays off and I have to press the power button to get the screen back. I tried setting the phone to turn the screen on when plugging in charger cable but screen doesn't turn on right away. The auto-brightness seems to be working properly.

I didn't have this issue running the stock relay 4g rom. I have also tried the CarbonMod rom and OmniToad roms to see if it helped but would rather not have to go back to stock unless I need to.
I can live it with it but if anyone has a resolution it would be super awesome. Hopefully it's something simple that I messed up and not the phone itself!

Thanks,
-Alan

are you having this issue on all above mentioned roms....i have seen this issue before on other devices and is a deep sleep issue...i know the only rom you may be able to fix this on is my CarbonRom and done so by changing min frequency up a notch...if that doesnt work go down a notch....all other roms besides carbon have this feature force locked as far as i know so you cant do it on those roms

thebguard

Oct 19, 2008
are you having this issue on all above mentioned roms....i have seen this issue before on other devices and is a deep sleep issue...i know the only rom you may be able to fix this on is my CarbonRom and done so by changing min frequency up a notch...if that doesnt work go down a notch....all other roms besides carbon have this feature force locked as far as i know so you cant do it on those roms

I see. I will retry CarbonRom and up the min cpu and see if this issue goes away. Appreciate your feedback sir!

orange808

May 9, 2011

I've got "FatToad" (nice rom, bad name) and the Trickster Mod app provides plenty of tuning options. Since the trouble manifests itself when the screen is off, I would look at mpdecision before I went raising the min frequency. Then again, I don't have many issues with getting my device to wake...

Anyhow, the app has options to tweak.

Reactions: thebguard

REV3NT3CH

Dec 30, 2012
Crescent City
I've got "FatToad" (nice rom, bad name) and the Trickster Mod app provides plenty of tuning options. Since the trouble manifests itself when the screen is off, I would look at mpdecision before I went raising the min frequency. Then again, I don't have many issues with getting my device to wake...

my Carbon rom is built differently than fattoad, cm, or omni...doesnt have lbcoders mpdecision touchboost amongst many other differences in its kernel

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 PM ----------

I see. I will retry CarbonRom and up the min cpu and see if this issue goes away. Appreciate your feedback sir!

if its at 192mhz go to 384mhz....if at 384mhz try 192mhz...if either dont work bump it up to the next highest mhz

Reactions: thebguard

Magamo

Oct 20, 2012
New York, NY
Does this issue manifest itself when you have the phone plugged in? Can you get a logcat of the issue? Throwing things at the wall and seeing what sticks may not be the best resolution here. There are ways of finding out the underlying cause.

mpdecision is not the cause here (That only affects the secondary core) nor is min frequency (You can override it in the HypnoToad images too, just set another governor (like say 'conservative). In FatToad it may look like it resets because Cyanogenmod doesn't display the second core in the performance settings, but changing it is sufficient for testing. The official CM 11 builds do not have the touch boost (which only affects things after the phone is awake, and merely sets the secondary core's frequency up to 1184 Mhz when you are touching the screen, but the affect on the percieved performance of the phone due to this is immense)

Deep sleep is likely closer to the main cause because that affects both cores, and if the system isn't receiving the proper signals to wake back up, this can happen. Throughout development on apexqtmo, we've run into similar problems, and it's always helped by getting proper documentation from those who are experiencing the issues.

TL;DR: Trying random things likely won't solve this issue. Getting all the information you can will help.

thebguard

Oct 19, 2008
Thanks again for all the help. I don't usually ask for any but I could not find much on my issue (or maybe I wasn't searching correctly).

I think I did the logcat correctly. See attached.

The thing that popped was:
D/SurfaceControl( 791): Excessive delay in unblankDisplay() while turning screen on: 269ms

When I would hit the power button and screen would not turn on, this would be there. I'm not really good with understanding this stuff. Hopefully this leads us in right direction though!

Edit: sorry forgot to answer your first question Magamo. This issue happens no matter if it's plugged in or not.

Edit 2: I watched the logcat from adb for awhile and I guess the above happens no matter what. I don't see any differences between if the screen turns on or not. :(

Attachments

• thebguard-03052014.txt
    17.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
N

Nardholio

It looks like you have a hardware rev we're not supporting in our current kernel (which is why it works on stock). PM me if you want to mail your phone to me for analysis

dillalade

Sep 28, 2009
Richmond
This happened to a new device i purchased. After lbcoder and nard trailed through my logs, I was prescribed to resell the device. Your symptoms sounds identical to what I was experiencing. JB stock kernal works. But custom roms which since delved into the new edited kernel doesnt work on such devices. Since re-sold the device. Be interested to know if yours gets fixed where mine didn't. Good luck

sorgo

Jun 18, 2010
Hi guys. I have a strange issue, that might be related to what's described in this thread.

Almost always when I open or close the keyboard, the screen goes blank for few seconds. One thing (that I think) helps is to press power button several times until the lockscreen comes up.

I am currently running LiquidSmooth 4.4.3, tried it with 4.4.4 and also some old backup 4.4.2 and the phones does it always. The critical position when it goes blank is just a millimiter when opening the keyboard from closed position.

Does any of you have the same experience? Can you please help me to determine either it's a ROM issue (deep sleep etc) or hardware issue?

I tried it also with the logos, boot animations and the screen goes blank too. So I fear it's hardware related - maybe a flex cable contact, but it would not come back so easily after few seconds. Another clue is that the keyboard lights and back+home stay on, but the screen goes blank.

I wish it's something that can be fixed by flashing or setting something as I waited few weeks to deliver my relay to Europe... Thanks for any help in advance!

REV3NT3CH

Dec 30, 2012
Crescent City
Hi guys. I have a strange issue, that might be related to what's described in this thread.

Almost always when I open or close the keyboard, the screen goes blank for few seconds. One thing (that I think) helps is to press power button several times until the lockscreen comes up.

I am currently running LiquidSmooth 4.4.3, tried it with 4.4.4 and also some old backup 4.4.2 and the phones does it always. The critical position when it goes blank is just a millimiter when opening the keyboard from closed position.

Does any of you have the same experience? Can you please help me to determine either it's a ROM issue (deep sleep etc) or hardware issue?

I tried it also with the logos, boot animations and the screen goes blank too. So I fear it's hardware related - maybe a flex cable contact, but it would not come back so easily after few seconds. Another clue is that the keyboard lights and back+home stay on, but the screen goes blank.

I wish it's something that can be fixed by flashing or setting something as I waited few weeks to deliver my relay to Europe... Thanks for any help in advance!

if its doing it an more than one rom it may be hardware...especially if its doing it at startup logo and bootani...does it do it on cm11 as well as omni?

sorgo

Jun 18, 2010
if its doing it an more than one rom it may be hardware...especially if its doing it at startup logo and bootani...does it do it on cm11 as well as omni?

Thanks for the reply. Yes the bootanimation and initial logo is telling enough about the cause of it. I must admit it's a hw problem. I tried to open/close the keyboard quicky instead of moving it slowly, but it occurs too. I'll try completely different rom with different kernel as the last chance
to hope for a sw issue.

sorgo

Jun 18, 2010
I tried Omnirom with same result, but now I did a clean flash of the latest liquid and my impression is that this happens a lot fewer times than before. Maybe I just got the right velocity and force needed to open it gently :) I also installed just a few critical apps. Before I messed with Ultimate screen rotate etc.

But it now happens more when closing the keyboard. However, I'll rather buy new one, just ot have a backup of this great phone just in case.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

my Carbon rom is built differently than fattoad, cm, or omni...doesnt have lbcoders mpdecision touchboost amongst many other differences in its kernel

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 PM ----------

if its at 192mhz go to 384mhz....if at 384mhz try 192mhz...if either dont work bump it up to the next highest mhz
    :( I don't think changing the min cpu helped. Went up from 384 to 486. Then tried 594.

did you go to the lowest...also whats your method of flashing.....dirty flash? clean wipe?
    Sent you a zip to try via pm. Just let me know if it works.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk 4