"The Galaxy S5 Has The Best Smartphone Display Ever!"

Search This thread

puremind

Feb 24, 2008
Frankfurt
It really shows that Samsung wasn't joking when they said they were going back to the basics. They have improved the Camera tremondously, the display is in a whole new realm and battery life has been tested and shown to be better than the Note 3's. Add to that mix the solid build quality and the speedy performance of touchwiz and Samsung has a true winner on there hands.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Last year I was the first one to criticize the screen for ist lack of brightness and color inaccuracies, in particular the greenish whites for web browsing.

I also said that last year, DisplayMate's Review was misleading and I spent a lot of time raising awareness about the true bightness levels for different content types.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2268937

I am happy I that I did make a lot of noise with that, because it seems I have been heard! Tthe DisplayMate article and my own testing confirms that the white balance is more neutral now and chromaticty is excellent - you can tell Samsung have worked on this by the type of wallpapers they have chosen to include on the S5, a few of which show primary colors instead of the blue dominated ones previously.

I will post my own results later because the Displaymate test doesn't reveal the grey balance at each intensity Level and also it is not clear in the test whether the 600cd/m² Level is reached at any average picture Level or only at 1% white content. Probably the latter.

Still, even at higher APL, it looks like there are brightness gains vs. the S4. I will analyse that and show comparative graphs between S4 and S5.

This will probably be the first AMOLED Display that I will enjoy.

Now if only they could make the lag disappear...

Last edited:

omersak

Oct 15, 2010
Last year I was the first one to criticize the screen for ist lack of brightness and color inaccuracies, in particular the greenish whites for web browsing.

I also said that last year, DisplayMate's Review was misleading and I spent a lot of time raising awareness about the true bightness levels for different content types.

I am happy I that I did make a lot of noise with that, because it seems I have been heard! Tthe DisplayMate article and my own testing confirms that the white balance is more neutral now and chromaticty is excellent - you can tell Samsung have worked on this by the type of wallpapers they have chosen to include on the S5, a few of which show primary colors instead of the blue dominated ones previously.

I will post my own results later because the Displaymate test doesn't reveal the grey balance at each intensity Level and also it is not clear in the test whether the 600cd/m² Level is reached at any average picture Level or only at 1% white content. Probably the latter.

Still, even at higher APL, it looks like there are brightness gains vs. the S4. I will analyse that and show comparative graphs between S4 and S5.

Top post!

Do the whites start becoming tinged with green at a very short angle, like the S4? And lag? Please elaborate.

sachinaik

Jun 6, 2011
Bangalore
The screen is touted to have very less reflectivity and very high brightness level in auto mode. I mean 680 nits is monstrous brightness...

But only thing is how much ram is available for multitasking ?

N3 4.4.2 memory bug :
After freezing and removing super headache apps like Magazine, s voice, My N3 during first boot has 1.5GB available. Quickly it gets down to 900MB after 1 day.
After 4 days it's at 700MB. I don't have any ways to claim back mem. If I clear all applications from Recents and from Task Manager then also its still 700MB.
If I look at applications manager I don't see who is using all those 800MB which I lost.

So I feel it's still risky to trust samsung software with 2GB ram.

Other trivial looking but imp bugs or annoying features :
1. The feature rich KB does pathetic autocorrections. If I want to change it i have to click on the word. It's super annoying for me.
2. The blinkfeed clone is super memory consumer. It consumes 300MB on an average. Doesn't work well.
3. The s voice doesn't work well but stays in memory and consumes ram.

Hopefully samsung fixes these issues. I'm gonna wait for review.

But the screen is super awesome though.

Sent from my SM-N900 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

SolarTrans

Feb 7, 2014
Portland, OR
It's running a revamped TouchWiz, so I have no doubt it will be fine. There's a slight chance something will be iffy, but I doubt it at this point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BoneXDA

Oct 9, 2012
The screen is touted to have very less reflectivity and very high brightness level in auto mode. I mean 680 nits is monstrous brightness...

But only thing is how much ram is available for multitasking ?

N3 4.4.2 memory bug :
After freezing and removing super headache apps like Magazine, s voice, My N3 during first boot has 1.5GB available. Quickly it gets down to 900MB after 1 day.
After 4 days it's at 700MB. I don't have any ways to claim back mem. If I clear all applications from Recents and from Task Manager then also its still 700MB.
If I look at applications manager I don't see who is using all those 800MB which I lost.

So I feel it's still risky to trust samsung software with 2GB ram.

Other trivial looking but imp bugs or annoying features :
1. The feature rich KB does pathetic autocorrections. If I want to change it i have to click on the word. It's super annoying for me.
2. The blinkfeed clone is super memory consumer. It consumes 300MB on an average. Doesn't work well.
3. The s voice doesn't work well but stays in memory and consumes ram.

Hopefully samsung fixes these issues. I'm gonna wait for review.

But the screen is super awesome though.

The free RAM myth... System allocating lots of RAM is actually a good thing for the user, you'll have recent apps and processes cached so they'll return faster from memory. I myself don't like my Nexus 4 always leaving like 800MB memory free, use the goddamn RAM for caching, that's why it's there! LOL. So I have 800 free and I open a 2nd or 3rd heave game and the 1st one is killed, makes no sense. I'm yet to see the N4 hitting 1,5gigs no matter of the heavy use, it'll just start freeing cache...

hung2900

Apr 3, 2012

Not misleading, but lacking explanation. I know it from the beginning. If with the rate of manual brightness, auto brightness with 50% APL is about 570 nits, with 100% APL is about 530 nits. Anyway it's at least equal or over 500 nits.

sachinaik

Jun 6, 2011
Bangalore
The free RAM myth... System allocating lots of RAM is actually a good thing for the user, you'll have recent apps and processes cached so they'll return faster from memory. I myself don't like my Nexus 4 always leaving like 800MB memory free, use the goddamn RAM for caching, that's why it's there! LOL. So I have 800 free and I open a 2nd or 3rd heave game and the 1st one is killed, makes no sense. I'm yet to see the N4 hitting 1,5gigs no matter of the heavy use, it'll just start freeing cache...

Buddy,

You are not getting it. You didn't read my msg properly.

Now my phone is at 400MB free. Opened UC Browser (10 tabs from IMDB) and IMDB app itself. When I jugle between the two, the tabs in UC have gone blank cause the memory available is 232MB.

Then I came out, quit both apps, clear Recents, clear in task manager, kill all in Android Tuner, and mem free is 400MB. That means m gonna be in the same position as earlier even if I have the SO CALLED 3GB RAM. Where is my 2.6GB RAM ?

Why it is not claimed back when I open more and more tabs from UC ?

If I look at Running/Cached apps from settings I don't see it.

If I look at AT task manager I don't see any app using 2.6GB.

So where did it go ?

BoneXDA

Oct 9, 2012
Buddy,

Now my phone is at 400MB free. Opened UC Browser (10 tabs from IMDB) and IMDB app itself. When I jugle between the two, the tabs in UC have gone blank cause the memory available is 232MB.

Then I came out, quit both apps, clear Recents, clear in task manager, kill all in Android Tuner, and mem free is 400MB. That means m gonna be in the same position as earlier even if I have the SO CALLED 3GB RAM. Where is my 2.6GB RAM ?

So where did it go ?

'Buddy', task killers and free RAM hunt is a thing of the past since JB/2GB+. Let Android manage RAM, when a task requires a large chunk, the system will make it available, otherwise it's using it all for the various things RAM is for. What's the point of my Nex4 having 2 gigs when foreground/background processes, running apps and cached data only uses 1.2? Free RAM is a waste.

dragon135

Jan 23, 2011
'Buddy', task killers and free RAM hunt is a thing of the past since JB/2GB+. Let Android manage RAM, when a task requires a large chunk, the system will make it available, otherwise it's using it all for the various things RAM is for. What's the point of my Nex4 having 2 gigs when foreground/background processes, running apps and cached data only uses 1.2? Free RAM is a waste.

He wants to say there is memory leak bug in note3.. if u kill all process, the use memory should be down to at max like after booting.

Sent from my GT-I9500

BoneXDA

Oct 9, 2012
He wants to say there is memory leak bug in note3.. if u kill all process, the use memory should be down to at max like after booting.

Sent from my GT-I9500
Can't comment on a memory leak, however normally you shouldn't worry about free RAM or task killing or anything like that.

puremind

Feb 24, 2008
Frankfurt
Not misleading, but lacking explanation. I know it from the beginning. If with the rate of manual brightness, auto brightness with 50% APL is about 570 nits, with 100% APL is about 530 nits. Anyway it's at least equal or over 500 nits.

Display mate reviews are always misleading. If you read their article as a consumer you would think the S5 hast the brightest screen for Web browsing in direct sun light. As usual they provide the correct measurements but the text they put around the figures is often misleading.

Regarding the brightness levels you quote in direct sunlight for 100% white I doubt them because this is much more than the 25% announced by Samsung and it would kill the battery. Did you conduct the measures yourself? I was going to look into this (out of curiosity more than need since I think +25% should be sufficient for sunlight viewing). Unlike last year where the throttled whites were too dim.

As usual with the AM OLED there is a bigger trade-off between battery life and screen brightness, so hopefully hours of battery will not suffer too much as a result of the +25% jump in brightness and 2% larger screen. They already have battery smaller than Z2 so even though they have increased battery size, all of it and more will be eaten up by the brightness jump (but the chip is more efficient so should still see a decent increase overall). Battery tests are not conducted at maximum levels or in outdoor conditions so this is something to be aware of when interpreting the results.

Last edited:

puremind

Feb 24, 2008
Frankfurt
The S5 white balance is a tad cooler than the M8. Did the tester say what the brightness setting was? Auto or Maximum?

Both seem to be excellent displays with the Samsung a tad bluer and the M8 a tad less accurate in terms of chromaticity.

The M8 is known to come with different white balance calibrations depending on the factory and so far there is a neutral one and a cooler one. Since the S5 is supposed to be only a bit too cool, it seems like the M8 model has the warmer version calibration. The version tested on Anandtech I think is less neutral.

I can't wait to do my own testing. The display mate test is not very precise as it gives color temperature but not the color composition at each point of the greyscale. But the average Delta E of the greyscale is very good, which confirms my imression that the green-blue push is much less than on the S4. In the store I tried viewing at different angles and the whites remained pretty clean. Still not as neutral as LCD but much improved. It is the first AMOLED screen I see on a smartphone that could pass as an LCD.

Anyone wanting yo watch the GS5 pimp slap the display on the HTC M8. Watch this video at about the 3 minute mark.

http://htc.hdblog.it/2014/04/02/htc-one-m8-vs-samsung-galaxy-s5-video-confronto-da-hdblog-it/

Notice the the excellent white balance on the S5.

I find it very interesting that as soon as the diplay mate article came out, Samsung-supporting students as well as a couple of web pages immediately published articles quoting the Displaymate paper and spreading the same incorrect rumors about the screen brightness of 698cd/m².

I understand that after the bad publicity because of the dim screen last year, they are anxious to Show they have improved but again using foul tactics...

Look at this:
http://allaboutsamsung.de/2014/03/s...display-neuer-helligkeitsrekord-mit-698-cdm²/
http://www.extremetech.com/electron...has-the-best-smartphone-display-on-the-market
http://www.androidnext.de/news/samsung-galaxy-s5-display-test-displaymate/

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Display Mate has done there testing on the display of the S5 and have crowned the S5 with the title of "Best Smartphone Display"

The S5 improves over the S4 in pretty much every single way, brightness is vastly improved allowing the S5 to reach a brightness of 650+ Nits on auto brightness while screen reflectance has been reduced. Color accuracy is also vastly improved.

Even more impressive is that when Automatic Brightness is turned On, the Galaxy S5 hits an incredible 698 cd/m2 in high Ambient Light, where high Screen Brightness is really needed, which is 47 percent brighter than the Galaxy S4 and 6 percent brighter than the Note 3 with Automatic Brightness turned On – it’s the brightest mobile display that we have ever tested.

The Galaxy S5 display delivers 22 percent higher Brightness than the Galaxy S4 with the same display power. Taking into account its 4 percent larger screen area, the Galaxy S5 has an impressive 27 percent improvement in display power efficiency over the Galaxy S4. Turning this around, for the same screen Brightness the Galaxy S5 uses 18 percent less display power than the Galaxy S4, which helps improve the running time on battery.
    http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S5_ShootOut_1.htm

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Buddy,

So where did it go ?

It really shows that Samsung wasn't joking when they said they were going back to the basics. They have improved the Camera tremondously, the display is in a whole new realm and battery life has been tested and shown to be better than the Note 3's. Add to that mix the solid build quality and the speedy performance of touchwiz and Samsung has a true winner on there hands.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I think the real problem with the S5 and to some extent the HTC M8 is not the phones themselves, its the messaging/marketing around them.

Think about when Apple comes up with something new in the display, or the camera, or anything else. It may be incremental but they make it seem like its the greatest thing that has ever occurred on the planet ever. I mean how much time did they spend in the 5S release just talking about the improvements to the camera. Nobody really thought the 5S was a huge disapointment, i mean i aside from the obvious (small screen, etc).

The Asian phone companies have simply terrible product release keynotes, i mean just awful. Samsung's was bad, but HTC's was the most boring release i have ever seen. Why wouldnt Samsung talk up the things they really improved? If for no other reason, at least the echo chamber reviews will mention the differences. I mean, i am a phone junky and have been for the better part of a decade, and i had no idea the display was improved so dramatically. In fact, one of the primary reasons i skipped the S4 was due to the AMOLED that was completely invisible outdoors on the S3.

If i were one of the CEOs of HTC, Samsung, etc, id swallow my pride and change the format of the releases. I might come out introduce the phone, then get of the way and hire a professional presenter to come out and present all the features in a more compelling and detailed manner.
    First thing I noticed about the S5 was it's immaculate display. The first AMOLED display DisplayMate tested ranked at the very bottom of their list, (about 4 years ago) and now it's at the top. I'm impressed.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk