[Q] How to Unroot Galaxy S2 i-777 ATT outside of USA ?

Search This thread

MaddieHad

May 10, 2014
Hi all

I have a galaxy s2 i777 ATT - I can't find its own place on this forum so please forgive me if this in the wrong section

My S2 was unrooted and then I loaded omni kitkatt on it which locked my sim . big noob mistake I feel really dumb believe me.
Now I had unrooted it in the with odin and loaded Siyah ics to finally root it because the sim got locked. I live outside of the USA and nowhere near an ATT network. It has the CWM recovery on it

So all was well until someone ( my nephew ) decided to load omni again and then he loaded Carbon on it
The strange thing that is happening right now is that I do see Superuser in the settings but my sim is still locked I tried to use galaxys2 unlock but it doesnt do anything.
No biggie right but now it turns out my USB port is not working.

So here are my questions :

- How do i get my phone back to stock without a pc and root it (I live outside of the usa thats why I believe my sim gets locked ) so we can use the phone again to call

or

- Can I use mobile odin to load the stock version of android back on it and then unroot it again so I can unlock my phone ?

- Can I try to use frama root to check if my phone is really rooted and if so can it help root my phone ?

For now I'd just like to get it back to stock and root it ( so I can unlock my sim)
I need your help .

Thanks
Maddie

SteveMurphy

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 22, 2012
Atlanta
The good news is that you're in the right place, so welcome!

Next, I'm guessing you're still on Carbon? If so please look in System Settings >About Phone and please tell us the rom, kernel and modem version currently installed on your device. It's always good for us to know your full setup.

Regarding the sim issue I have virtually no experience with it, but I do know you can simply call AT&T and they should supply the unlock code (if you have a working phone, of course). You may have to supply your serial and IMEI #, both of which can be found on the battery, so probably best to have that handy if you call them.

You don't have to be on bone stock to unlock your phone, you just need the unlock code... and hang onto it for as long as you own your i777!

Last edited:

creepyncrawly

Sep 3, 2010
Have you tried the GalaxSim Unlock application? Here is a link to download the free version. You may find that you can unlock your rooted phone without flashing back to stock. I have limited experience with this application. I recently sold an AT&T SGH-I897 Captivate which I unlocked successfully with this app while it was rooted on stock Gingerbread. The purchaser wanted KitKat so I loaded CyanogenMod 11 onto it, and checked that the unlock was still present.

To answer your other questions:

I'm not sure why you are asking to "unroot" the phone after returning to stock. As far as I know, you need to be rooted to unlock the phone unless you have the unlock code from AT&T.

You can flash stock firmware with mobile odin. The stock package does not contain root, so your phone will automatically be "unrooted." If you go this route, I would suggest you use the I777UCMD8 stock tar from the Download Repository.

From stock UCMD8, you can successfully root the phone with Framaroot using the Aragorn exploit.

MaddieHad

May 10, 2014

Next, I'm guessing you're still on Carbon? If so please look in System Settings >About Phone and please tell us the rom, kernel and modem version currently installed on your device. It's always good for us to know your full setup.

Regarding the sim issue I have virtually no experience with it, but I do know you can simply call AT&T and they should supply the unlock code (if you have a working phone, of course). You may have to supply your serial and IMEI #, both of which can be found on the battery, so probably best to have that handy if you call them.

You don't have to be on bone stock to unlock your phone, you just need the unlock code... and hang onto it for as long as you own your i777!

Hi thanks for helping out this is what I got:

CARBON-JB-NIGHTLY-20130929-0603-i777.zip
Kernel version
3.0.64-CM-gbc8f4c9derek@carbon#1sunsep2906:36:49 edt 2013

ROM: CWM based recovery v6.0.3.8
I cant find modem version

I'm in south America and I had bought the phone from the usa unlocked.
When Omni was loaded on the phone it locked my sim and I never had received an unlock code.
So when I went back to stock my sim still stayed locked so I rooted it again with Siyah ICS via odin so I could use galaxy unlock to get my sim working again.
How would I go about getting that unlock code for my sim from Att ?
Do you think I could email att ? I did find my serial number and imei #

The reason I wanted to go back to stock and than unroot it with the siyah ics kernel is because that seems to be stable for my phone.

Yes I have tried using galaxy unlock but it doesn't work it doesn't read the Imei nr and the sim stays locked
Honestly it looks like my phone is half rooted now

BTW the the sim being locked is more like a carrier locked I can't use the sim with my local telecommunnications company.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Have you tried the GalaxSim Unlock application? Here is a link to download the free version. You may find that you can unlock your rooted phone without flashing back to stock. I have limited experience with this application. I recently sold an AT&T SGH-I897 Captivate which I unlocked successfully with this app while it was rooted on stock Gingerbread. The purchaser wanted KitKat so I loaded CyanogenMod 11 onto it, and checked that the unlock was still present.

To answer your other questions:

I'm not sure why you are asking to "unroot" the phone after returning to stock. As far as I know, you need to be rooted to unlock the phone unless you have the unlock code from AT&T.

You can flash stock firmware with mobile odin. The stock package does not contain root, so your phone will automatically be "unrooted." If you go this route, I would suggest you use the I777UCMD8 stock tar from the Download Repository.

From stock UCMD8, you can successfully root the phone with Framaroot using the Aragorn exploit.