[Q] No VPN api

Search This thread

CaptHatch

Apr 16, 2012
Got my prefered VPN installed. Attempted to activate. Pop-up with "No VPN api".Sigh... With no api, this isn't going to be solved until root/custom rom, right?

tarvoke

Mar 8, 2011
Slightly Outside America
Got my prefered VPN installed. Attempted to activate. Pop-up with "No VPN api".Sigh... With no api, this isn't going to be solved until root/custom rom, right?

it's possible the VPN api is even there, just that our user doesn't have enough privilege to access it...

so, yeah probably. something like Cisco AnyConnect Root or other flavors of rooted ones. or if Amazon gets enough requests/complaints or somehow finds the motivation to support vpn.

if that guy making xbmconfire has success getting amazon to accept his launcher screen, it's possible they would accept other developers submitting vpn support (or, usb mass storage support, lol) - I'd definitely pay money for stuff like that.

only other stuff I found was from p[oking around in the sideloaded Settings.apk, I can open VPN under the wireless "More..."

but it immediately says "You must set a lock screen PIN or password before you can use credential storage"

if I try a numeric PIN, it crashes back a screen, as soon as I enter the 4th digit

if I try a password, it crashes, as soon as I enter the 4th character or digit.

if I try a pattern, it crashes as soon as I press "Next"

tarvoke

Mar 8, 2011
Slightly Outside America
router tunnel?

had an idea that should have occurred to me long ago :)

a place I used to work, we used to set up permanent site-to-site VPN tunnels between offices all over the world. and it worked really well. this was with business class switch/router hardware of course.

but routers with ddrwt/openwrt/tomato/etc. are now capable of a lot of the same functions - between/amongst each other, mostly (plus in my experience, tunnels behave better if you have the exact same device on each end anyway). and support all sorts of common flavors - l2tp/ipsec, pptp, openvpn...

I have never tried any of the paid public/popular VPN host services, so I don't know if they only support direct VPN clients from single devices, or if they support site-to-site tunnels too. I imagine if some did, they would advertise so on their website.

if tunnel connection is supported by providers, that might be a workaround. (possible annoyance: all traffic from behind your router would also be on VPN, unless maybe some fancy routing glue code is applied)

another way is if someone in UK has ddwrt router and has a friend in US with ddwrt router, you could totally set up site-to-site -- this is existing functionality. of course there still probably needs routing glue on both ends (mainly, knowing most/all of the amazon services IPs used by firetv apps)

probably too much time/work/testing, but...