[EMU] Sega CD

Is Sega CD support worth it

• Total voters
Search This thread

tekken179

Dec 14, 2010
Banbridge
Yeah, it's no big deal, just hoped they would work without waiting, as my mega cd doesn't work on my plasma, and we threw the last crt telly out a month or two ago, so fancied playing them again..

Got a good deal on the mega cd, with silpheed, batman returns and snatcher, so can't grumble at the cost of the emulator, and waiting time..still got plenty others to play.

A Jaguar emu, now that would rock, Tempest was ace.

The Sega 5in1 you mention, was that the one with Streets of Rage, and others..the one that came with the megacd? and it also came with sol feaces.:eek:

Yea heres a screenie ;)

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 186
Reactions: RottenFoxBreath

Mysticales

Oct 30, 2007
www.darkmystics.com
Ok to chime in.
ORIG (Not censored) Night Trap was fun. HOWEVER Double Switch was better. (Was easier to track the story and still capture things, while Night trap you had to play over and over cause you couldnt watch the story and capture enough to win. Also access colors sucked lol.

Sewer Sharked, Hated it at 1st then once you get the hang of it, its cool. Plus its the same actor from Terminator 1, so that was cool.

Now what kids today need to remember is this. Snes, Sega, that was the era. Sega cd came out. OMG VIDEO AND VOICE! Not even PC had this really well yet. Willy Beamish on Sega cd was the only one with voice. The reason Sega cd wasnt big back "then"? Ill quote you from the review "People dont want to pay 50$ for a vhs tape they play" I chuckle now.. to think people pay 60$ for a POS game on a high def system. =p

Oh yes, btw if you havent, play Power Rangers on Sega Cd. It was interactive but least it goes through the season 1 well enough. =D

Rogue Leader

Apr 4, 2011
New York
OMG VIDEO AND VOICE!

You summed up the first 5 years (at least) of PC-CDROM Gaming in 1 sentence. VERY VERY few games added any real gaming element with this newfound format. There were loads of "games" that basically had the player do a task, watch a clip, do another task, watch another clip, etc. Sometiems they had good compilations of floppy disc games, or floppy games with FMV cutscenes added in between levels/missions. Lots of shooters with 2D sprites overlayed on FMV, and fake "first person" games. Sega CD and TG CD had a bit of a benefit in that the companies making the primary games for them were mostly companies that made real games first, whereas on the PC side you had a lot of "game developers" come up out of the woodwork because in reality anyone can make a PC game with a minimum of investment and a lot of talent, back then anyway. But Sega and NEC too fell prey to these types of lame "games". 3DO came out and furthered this trend but once Playstation came out it got games back on track. PCs had already started to follow suit.

Wake me up when we have a tg16 cd emu. I want to play sherlock holmes

That would be awesome...... still have my TG-16 but never got around to getting the CD attachment, have seen it, its $$$$ but for the collector in me I will get it some day... :D:D:D

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

You summed up the first 5 years (at least) of PC-CDROM Gaming in 1 sentence. VERY VERY few games added any real gaming element with this newfound format. There were loads of "games" that basically had the player do a task, watch a clip, do another task, watch another clip, etc. Sometiems they had good compilations of floppy disc games, or floppy games with FMV cutscenes added in between levels/missions. Lots of shooters with 2D sprites overlayed on FMV, and fake "first person" games. Sega CD and TG CD had a bit of a benefit in that the companies making the primary games for them were mostly companies that made real games first, whereas on the PC side you had a lot of "game developers" come up out of the woodwork because in reality anyone can make a PC game with a minimum of investment and a lot of talent, back then anyway. But Sega and NEC too fell prey to these types of lame "games". 3DO came out and furthered this trend but once Playstation came out it got games back on track. PCs had already started to follow suit.

I would agree to this statement... however 3DO did have some good games that had FMV. Super Wing Commander, Wing Commander 3, Shockwave Assault 1&2 were all good games that had FMV without the typical crap of FMV games.... those were games in my opnion where the FMV was done right, and I am mostly looking at WC3...

Mysticales

Oct 30, 2007
www.darkmystics.com
WC3 of course was good, it had the budget of Origin. Lets not talk about the high budget games. =p

Lets talk about what Sega Cd did offer better. Richer music and voice. I mean graphics were same as everyone else, FMV was limited. The ability for the game to have better music and voice was good. Good ol Cd-Roms.
Snatcher and Lunar 2 were perfect examples of what Sega Cd could do. As for Music. Ecco the Dolphin won this battle. I mean that on a stereo setup was WOW.

Rogue Leader

Apr 4, 2011
New York
I would agree to this statement... however 3DO did have some good games that had FMV. Super Wing Commander, Wing Commander 3, Shockwave Assault 1&2 were all good games that had FMV without the typical crap of FMV games.... those were games in my opnion where the FMV was done right, and I am mostly looking at WC3...

Yeah I'm definitely not referring to games like SWC and WC3 or Shockwave. (BTW WC3 was a PC game first :) ). But there were a lot of games out there like 7th Guest and Critical Path that weren't much more than a string of poorly acted video clips strung together.

Xperia4life

Apr 2, 2012
Hitchin
I bought this and then relised that every time I launch it its not Optimized for my play.
Even tho it says it I cant play with the gamepad. Sega CD is good but when Im playing sherlock Holmes the MD.EMU force closes like a *****

RottenFoxBreath

Oct 22, 2010
what kind of file format do i need for the backup? i ripped my shinig force cd as iso
At the moment, ISO/mp3, as BIN/Cue aren't fully supported yet.

---------- Post added at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------
I bought this and then relised that every time I launch it its not Optimized for my play.
Even tho it says it I cant play with the gamepad. Sega CD is good but when Im playing sherlock Holmes the MD.EMU force closes like a *****
Send a message to the dev, that's the only way it will improve is if people let him know/complain about things.

Hey guys, this is Robert, the developer of the various *.emu and Snes9x EX apps. Sorry for jumping in this thread a bit late but I'll go through a couple questions you guys had.

I've also one question: I don't know when it's arrived but I can't load any states in .ss0 .ss1.... I've tried to rename her but still no result. Can I convert her in .0A.gp 01.gp.... ?

Nope, the save states are specific to this emulator so you can't interchange them with any others. The SRAM will work with Gens at least if you enable the Big-endian option (only affects cart-based games, CD saves are always in big-endian).

Snatcher crashed when you get into the police car, to go to your first destination, and Batman Returns seems to just freeze on the Sega logo...was looking forward to those two as well..

Snatcher at least should get past that part in the latest update (1.4.25).

Can you be more specific? There's a default control layout for Xperia Play users and you can also define your own buttons under Options -> Input -> Key Config

Mael5trom

Jun 15, 2010
Nice to have you with us Robert, not sure if you remember, I requested you to enable the volume buttons to be bound keys on the Milestone a long time ago on Snes9x EX haha.

Just wondering, do you have any plans on doing a GBA emulator at some stage? I'm really not a fan of Gameboid (or its blurry linear filtering). thanks.

Mysticales

Oct 30, 2007
www.darkmystics.com
Can you be more specific? There's a default control layout for Xperia Play users and you can also define your own buttons under Options -> Input -> Key Config

Thats something I emailed you too about. Its due to your app doesnt read "Back + Alt" So even tho we can change O key to be mapped what we want, the app still treats it as back. So one thought could be is to either have it read as back + alt or disable the back button useage in the app itself, cept for Menu commands.

Cause till that is fixed.. cant really use the app much. =/

Just wondering, do you have any plans on doing a GBA emulator at some stage? I'm really not a fan of Gameboid (or its blurry linear filtering). thanks.

Yep, one of the next apps I'm looking into :)

Thats something I emailed you too about. Its due to your app doesnt read "Back + Alt" So even tho we can change O key to be mapped what we want, the app still treats it as back. So one thought could be is to either have it read as back + alt or disable the back button useage in the app itself, cept for Menu commands.

Cause till that is fixed.. cant really use the app much. =/

That strange, I thought you were talking about binding Back and O to different actions (you can't for now since only the key code is used to identify them). The Back/O buttons should not act as "back" (i.e. quitting the app) in game under the default setup. Check under Options -> Input -> Key Config -> In-Game Actions, and make sure Back isn't on the right-hand side for any of the actions.

poo-tang

Nov 21, 2011
www.xperiagamer.com
Thanks for your work Robert and nice to have you here. Love the Emu series being able to play donkey Kong country while sitting on the bog is one of the great things in life. Any thoughts on an Atari jaguar or something along them lines. The GBA will be great but would be nice for some great emu devs to think outside the box and come up with an android first. So far we are able to have around 22 or so different consoles in our pocket. Would be nice to have as many as we can. Anyway prob get this a lot so good luck and can't wait for your next project.

Sent from my LT26i using XDA

Mysticales

Oct 30, 2007
www.darkmystics.com
That strange, I thought you were talking about binding Back and O to different actions (you can't for now since only the key code is used to identify them). The Back/O buttons should not act as "back" (i.e. quitting the app) in game under the default setup. Check under Options -> Input -> Key Config -> In-Game Actions, and make sure Back isn't on the right-hand side for any of the actions.

Thanks. That fixed it. The In-Game Actions binding. Once unbind, now I can use the O key again.

Ok the key that O is, key 305 BACK ALT WAKE DROPPED if that helps any? Key 305 basically we could edit in the keypad-zeus file, while some roms have key 305 set as Button_B, everyone for the most part is set to BACK ALT for it.

Is there something you could check on that with? Cause if we could still keep "back" for the exit and just be able to use key 305 for button O for mapping separate, could be nifty. =)

Thanks. That fixed it. The In-Game Actions binding. Once unbind, now I can use the O key again.

Ok the key that O is, key 305 BACK ALT WAKE DROPPED if that helps any? Key 305 basically we could edit in the keypad-zeus file, while some roms have key 305 set as Button_B, everyone for the most part is set to BACK ALT for it.

Is there something you could check on that with? Cause if we could still keep "back" for the exit and just be able to use key 305 for button O for mapping separate, could be nifty. =)

Yes, it's something I can fix in an update. Right now the input system only checks the key-code, so I'll have to detect the alternate BACK button and give it a unique value in the code so it acts as a separate button.

TheVicious

May 31, 2010
Could someone check Hearth of The Alien? Is it works with music? Thanks in advance!

Wysyłane z mojego R800i za pomocą Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys, this is Robert, the developer of the various *.emu and Snes9x EX apps. Sorry for jumping in this thread a bit late but I'll go through a couple questions you guys had.

I've also one question: I don't know when it's arrived but I can't load any states in .ss0 .ss1.... I've tried to rename her but still no result. Can I convert her in .0A.gp 01.gp.... ?

Nope, the save states are specific to this emulator so you can't interchange them with any others. The SRAM will work with Gens at least if you enable the Big-endian option (only affects cart-based games, CD saves are always in big-endian).

Snatcher crashed when you get into the police car, to go to your first destination, and Batman Returns seems to just freeze on the Sega logo...was looking forward to those two as well..

Snatcher at least should get past that part in the latest update (1.4.25).

MD.emu gets Sega CD support in update!!!

HUEAhP7uxgUbYAZxmoMosFpDrYMddkgT8w-a_-oVxag4FH6EvKpit19GVncOnEEMvms=w124

Google Market link

attachment.php

Is it worth it?! ...is it worth it?!

SHINING ************* FORCE CD is shocked and appalled that you'd even ask.
    retroarch has two genesis emus. one has 32x support. worked great for me with darxide
    http://libretro.com/pages/platforms/android

There you go Ozzman. I used the r22 ( ARM) apk
    Be warned, installed it takes up over 100mb internal storage :S

Sent from my R800i using xda premium