DON'T ACCEPT OTA UPDATES

Search This thread

Craked

Apr 29, 2010
NYC
Either use Titanium Backup or just search for it with a file explorer and rename it. One thing, after you freeze it when you 'check for updates' out will force close.

OK koool.. now if I can get this wifi tether to work now .. now I'm seeing errors when I start it up ... is there an updated one fore MJ9 ?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Free mobile app

delaneybob

Jan 23, 2013
Been a While- Wondering on OTA/4G Driver update

Hi- have a Samsung Note II Verizon on 4.1.2, baseband version I605VRAMC3. , Build JZ054K.I605VRAMC3.. Stock ROM and rooted

I have had OTA off for over a year but have noticed that the 4G is having alot of signal issues (when compared to an S4 side- by side) in term of signal strength.

Wondering if:
1. there were known fixes in a later build and can get root back
2. if there are any known radio patches to avoid a full build upgrade

Thanks in advance

wooddale

Nov 5, 2010
New Lisbon
Hi- have a Samsung Note II Verizon on 4.1.2, baseband version I605VRAMC3. , Build JZ054K.I605VRAMC3.. Stock ROM and rooted

I have had OTA off for over a year but have noticed that the 4G is having alot of signal issues (when compared to an S4 side- by side) in term of signal strength.

Wondering if:
1. there were known fixes in a later build and can get root back
2. if there are any known radio patches to avoid a full build upgrade

Thanks in advance

Samsung is good with radios you should be able to find a thread with all the radios listed. Just pick the one that works best I think they are flashable google it.

delaneybob

Jan 23, 2013
Samsung is good with radios you should be able to find a thread with all the radios listed. Just pick the one that works best I think they are flashable google it.

Hi Woodale- I goggled around a but and did not see it (looked under Samsung GII and the build number- qq- I would assume the drivers are phone specific and related to the HW.

I will keep looking and report when i find something

delaneybob

Jan 23, 2013
Ok Will do late tomorrow when back at home. Much appreciated

Home- backing up phone- any special instructions? i assume I simply execute the .zip on the phone

---------- Post added at 04:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 PM ----------

Home- backing up phone- any special instructions? i assume I simply execute the .zip on the phone

Ok went to recovery and flashed it- looks like it worked- anyway to verify?

tsotne90

Feb 22, 2011
Hello, I have verizon note 2, it has stock 4.1.2 android installed. I want to update it to kitkat, what can you suggest how can I update it ?

legendsplus

Dec 18, 2014
I am trying to just get my Note 2 working (I don't care rooted, stock or what).
I just pushed root66_VZW_stock_system.tar.md5 to it with Odin 3.09. All went well. When it restarted, its stuck on the dreaded "System software not authorized by Verizon Wireless" message.
I have tried to follow several threads but no matter what I push to the phone, I eventually end up back at this spot again.
When I do the volume up / home / power button boot, it just comes up with this Verizon warning again. I can do the volume and push something else though.
Can someone assist me? What's my next step?

mr5mil

Mar 14, 2012
I am trying to just get my Note 2 working (I don't care rooted, stock or what).
I just pushed root66_VZW_stock_system.tar.md5 to it with Odin 3.09. All went well. When it restarted, its stuck on the dreaded "System software not authorized by Verizon Wireless" message.
I have tried to follow several threads but no matter what I push to the phone, I eventually end up back at this spot again.
When I do the volume up / home / power button boot, it just comes up with this Verizon warning again. I can do the volume and push something else though.
Can someone assist me? What's my next step?

I've had to completely wipe my phone with Odin and then flash the newest firmware I could find, along with the "16gb.pit" image in days past when I would soft brick my note 2. Maybe that will help you. (I took the ota shortly after Christmas hoping to get my Bluetooth etc. To work, unfortunately with no such luck, and after installing EVERY ota Verizon had I used the latest nd7.tar firmware I could find when I continued to have issues. All of the files I used however I found on the how to root/unroot thread in android development.)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE: New Jailbreak here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2118348

Ci0gY.png

Here's the bottom line up-front
    Samsung has inserted code to blacklist our baseline and mitigate our exploits in the bootloader patch they began pushing out last night. You will need to flash the updated bootloader baseline and stock pit in order to restore your device to operational status. The How-To Unlock your Bootloader thread is invalid at this time.

Going Forward
    I need your help with CASUAL. In order to mitigate this problem, I began working on a CASUAL update system on January 13. If you feel inconvienced now, contribute to the Casual Update System beta by testing it. Currently, CASUAL is dumb. If there is a problem you won't know until after you flash. The idea behind the Update System is to either update the CASUAL to work again, or kill-switch it and automatically bring you to a thread like this one. Obviously it's infinitely more helpful than a simple failure and I need testing on Windows, Linux, Mac and firewalls.

The CASUAL Unlock method will be updated when we figure it out and it will be possible to auto-update or do a helpful kill-switch in the next version.

Addressing Security Patches:
    Recognized Developer Ralekdev has began work on a new exploit. It's not going to be as simple as it was before.

Bootloader Blacklisting
    You can view the updated code here: http://pastie.org/private/zzfhwlrgeeuzweiccjdpvg#22
    Previously, Odin Mode would accept any SBOOT with the proper signature. Samsung has implemented a blacklist which causes properly signed flashes to fail if they are contained in the blacklist.
    Code:
          bytes_to_hexstr(BL1_blacklist_str, base_addr + 0x1BF0, 16);
          if ( !strcmp(BL1_blacklist_str, BL1_blacklists[i]) )
          {
            sub_43E03A00("BL1 of the blacklist - %s\n", BL1_blacklists[i]);
            return -1;
          }
    The old bootloader contained random ARM hex data "CD D2 04 85 63 83 52 7C C9 8A 97 1A CD 30 78 FB".. The new one contains an identifier "EXYNOS_4412 1220". The new bootloader is also programmed to not be able to flash itself.

Non-Header Code Execution
    You can view the updated code here: http://pastie.org/private/ryxaraypnnhbmtt6nswvq
    Previously, if the ANDROID header was missing from the kernel, SBOOT would execute the partition as raw ARM code. This allowed Ralekdev's exploit to jump into the SBOOT.bin and execute download mode without security checks. However the code has been replaced..
    Code:
      if ( !memcmp(v5, "ANDROID!", 8) )
      {
        *** DO NORMAL SECURE BOOT ****
      }
      else
      {
        dprintf("Could not do normal boot. (invalid magic)\n");// this is where we exploited it last time to load my code
        s5p_start_download_mode(v9);
      }
      return 0;
    }
    So obviously, this execution of arbitrary code exploit has been patched.

Conclusion
    We are working to bring a new exploit and make it easier that the last one. Ralekdev will be analyzing and working on a new exploit. I will work on deployment techniques. For now if youre having problems, flash back to stock and root your device.
    You answered your own question.

That was funny!

Here is the part about the OTA that is being left out.

If you look at the OTA it wont execute the updater portion of bootloader until the end.

The first thing the OTA does is examine the partitions, files, etc to see if they have been altered... If the checks fail the OTA just quits with error 7 (or 8 I forget). When it quits nothing flashes. This will occur on pretty much any custom ROM unless you edit the OTA to bypass the checks (see next line)...

I'm not saying be stupid and TRY to flash the OTA on a custom ROM but I built an L4 base last night with the OTA so you really dont need to anyways. To do this I had to remove those checks I just mentioned.

This thread should be sticked in two forums, this and general, because people thinking about rooting and on the edge need to do so now before the stock ROM forces the OTA!

But as far as a custom ROM accepting and succesfully flashing the OTA? Pretty much zero to none. Trust me on this ;c)

-Scott
    SOB.... I took it today hoping it was 4.2 and it ended up being:

Android Version 4.1.2
    Build number jzo54k.i605vramc3
    Harware version i605.06

I'm gonna wait till Beans release a 4.2 rom and then root and flash.

Ya but by taking that ota u probably just lost the ability to unlock.. Will do a build of new ota when I get home from work about 45 mins

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    Just a heads up for everyone - after many attempts, I was finally able to boot my phone. I had to take the .pit file from Adam's post, and then download this stock image - http://androidjinn.com/root-verizon-galaxy-note-2-i605.html/2 & follow the directions. It was the ONLY stock rom that successfully restored me in ODIN. Everything else prior, such as imnuts stock rom, would result in a FAIL after attempting to load the sbin.boot files.

Hope this may be of help to anyone, because I know I sure struggled! Through struggle comes growth - HUZZAH!
    I warned people not to flash it. I warned, and it was brushed aside because someone thought you could re-unlock (without 100% confirmation).

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2106158

Thanks for more information on the issue.