[Q] Defy Plus No Recovery

Search This thread

deMangler

Dec 14, 2010
Hi,
I have had my motorola Defy Plus running cyanogen for a year or so. Various versions, 2nd init.
Recently I decided to upgrade to Cyanogen version http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2515036
Got it installed and running ok but there were some glitches (maybe) so I started from scratch to be sure.
The method I used to completely re-initialise the phone is as follows.

repartitioned SD, wiped and flashed
DEFYPLUS_U3_4.5.1-134_DFP-231_BLUR_SIGN_USADEFYEMARAB1B8RTGB005.0R_PDS03C_USAJRDNGIBRRTGB_P023_A025_M002_Service1FF.sbf.gz
booted into stock android. installed framaroot - rooted.
installed 2nd init
installed twrp
updated recovery
wipe/reset
install cyanogen

The first time I did this it worked (but with some gapps glitches so to trouble shoot I thought I would start again.

Now this is the problem.
the second time when I tried to flash the stock rom RSD lite hung with "please manually reboot the phone"
After this it is impossible to get into stock recovery from the android triangle screen. When pressing both volume buttons the only thing that happens is the screen brightness toggles between light and dim.
I can get the phone to connect to RSD lite and I can flash ROMS - I have tried a few but I cannot get recovery, Always after flashing RSD says please manually reboot phone. The automatic reboot does nothing but get to the motorola or triangle screen, or a black screen sometimes.

Just to clarify - I have googled and tried many solutions, the main problem is that there is no stock recovery from the triangle screen so no solution that relies on this is working,
Any help appreciated. Thanks.

pgreed

Jan 4, 2013
Stock recovery is included in the ... stock ROM (duh) so you need to install completely the stock ROM. But anyway at what serve stock recovery for you?

deMangler

Dec 14, 2010
Stock recovery is included in the ... stock ROM (duh) so you need to install completely the stock ROM. But anyway at what serve stock recovery for you?

The one that usually works is DEFYPLUS_U3_4.5.1-134_DFP-231_BLUR_SIGN_USADEFYEMARAB1B8RTGB005.0R_PDS03C_US AJRDNGIBRRTGB_P023_A025_M002_Service1FF.sbf.gz

Which is the retail UK version for my phone. However when I try to flash it now with RSD it gets to the reboot stage but I am not sure it completes.

deMangler

Dec 14, 2010
The one that usually works is DEFYPLUS_U3_4.5.1-134_DFP-231_BLUR_SIGN_USADEFYEMARAB1B8RTGB005.0R_PDS03C_US AJRDNGIBRRTGB_P023_A025_M002_Service1FF.sbf.gz

Which is the retail UK version for my phone. However when I try to flash it now with RSD it gets to the reboot stage but I am not sure it completes.

I think what would solve my problem would be a way of installing the above rom (which I believe includes the bootloader). I need to solve the problem of the flashing not progressing beyond the reboot stage.
I am using RSD Lite version 6.1.4
Any help appreciated. Thanks.

pgreed

Jan 4, 2013
Boot in recovery. Do a total wipe (factory reset). Reboot in bootloader. Flash the .sbf.

deMangler

Dec 14, 2010
Boot in recovery. Do a total wipe (factory reset). Reboot in bootloader. Flash the .sbf.

There is no functioning recovery, so it is impossible to do a wipe. It is possible to flash a stock ROM (which should restore the recovery) using RSD lite but the process does not get past the reboot stage.

pgreed

Jan 4, 2013
Thanks - good advice I have been trying that. Meanwhile I will be looking out for other ways of solving the problem. I will let this thread know if anything works.
Thanks everyone.

I am not supposed to be cynic. That was happened to me a few times and eventually I can managed to make a complete flash. Try again.

propov

Dec 2, 2008
Frankfurt am Main
Thanks - I will let you know if it works. :)
I had the same problem and solved.After flash with RSD lite it stusk on Moto logo and pulsing,pullsing...,So disconenct from cable and remove baterry.Then conect baterry and turn on fone with Volume + and power at the same time to go into recovery.Yes it show a warning in triangle and I thing IM FU**ED it have no recovery.But just pushing the butons wtih angry(not remember the order) and it come in stock recovery.Then wipe everything that can wiped and reboot.It works and phone go to work.

mephistofaustus

May 22, 2012
same here - but your report helped!

I had the same problem and did what you did... boot with vol+down and power and got to the triangle. then press UP+DOWN fast after another. what follows is the recovery!

I had the same problem and solved.After flash with RSD lite it stusk on Moto logo and pulsing,pullsing...,So disconenct from cable and remove baterry.Then conect baterry and turn on fone with Volume + and power at the same time to go into recovery.Yes it show a warning in triangle and I thing IM FU**ED it have no recovery.But just pushing the butons wtih angry(not remember the order) and it come in stock recovery.Then wipe everything that can wiped and reboot.It works and phone go to work.

Last edited: