[Q] Only getting 1.5mb internet speeds on 12mb

Search This thread

foxguard

Jul 14, 2011
Suffolk
www.fox-guard.co.uk
Hi,

This is an odd one.
I get 12mb download speeds on my home wifi if i do a test from my laptop or girlfriends iphone. If I do the test on my Nexus i only get about 1.5mb.
If I reboot the router (Draytek) I get the full 12mb again for a few hours then it drops right back down to 1.5mb.
Now I know you are all thinking straight away its the router but I have recently changed this from a Linksy router to the draytek and had the same problem with that one, so it would appear it is my Nexus.

I am running PA with the latest Kernal for it.

Any ideas or help?

sidnoit22

Sep 22, 2011
Gwalior
www.kickedface.blogspot.com
Hi,

This is an odd one.
I get 12mb download speeds on my home wifi if i do a test from my laptop or girlfriends iphone. If I do the test on my Nexus i only get about 1.5mb.
If I reboot the router (Draytek) I get the full 12mb again for a few hours then it drops right back down to 1.5mb.
Now I know you are all thinking straight away its the router but I have recently changed this from a Linksy router to the draytek and had the same problem with that one, so it would appear it is my Nexus.

Any ideas or help?

Try changing your Radio. Which Radio you are on? Latest is .98

Reactions: foxguard

taodan

Nov 27, 2011
LineageOS
Thanks for the reply mate. Im new to this, how do I tell which Radio is installed and how do I update it if needs be?
In "About Phone" look for baseband (a.k.a. radio) version. But be careful, if you are using Jelly Bean ROM, your radio should be 0.84. If KitKat ROM, then the radio should be .97 or .98. Don't flash 97 or 98 on Jelly Bean ROM !!!

Last edited:
Reactions: foxguard

taodan

Nov 27, 2011
LineageOS
Have now done this and will see what happens :eek:)

Not sure I understand the second part though as im talking about my home wifi and not my 3g coverage.
I found this information on Google's support forum:

I can hereby confirm that flashing back the radio from M9615A-CEFWMAZM-2.0.1700.84 (default for 4.3) to M9615A-CEFWMAZM-2.0.1700.48 (default for 4.2.2), whilst keeping the rest of 4.3, did NOT fix the wifi speed and connectivity problems on my phone.

I then proceeded to downgrade completely to 4.2.2 using the Google-supplied factory images, and I'm now getting 44 Mbit/s down and 5 Mbit/s up via 802.11n, where on 4.3 with either of the two radios, I couldn't even reliably finish the test (it would stop halfway, with the download speed estimated at 7 Mbit/s). Besides that, I've now been able to update tons of apps from Play, where with 4.3 this was not possible with either of the radios.

Just in case someone finds this, the version of Android on this Nexus 4 causing endless wifi problems is:
* Android 4.3
* baseband M9615A-CEFWMAZM-2.0.1700.84
* kernel 3.4.0-perf-gf43c3d9, 2013-06-17
* build number JWR66V

The version working well is:
* Android 4.2.2
* baseband M9615A-CEFWMAZM-2.0.1700.48
* kernel 3.4.0-perf-g7ce11cd, 2013-01-29
* build number JDQ39

CellPhish

Feb 5, 2011
You should use a different radio. I'd recommend the hybrid radios 33/84. Uses .33 radio for connections such as WiFi and data, whereas .84 radio is used for calls.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Ajaykumar21066

Dec 6, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S21+
Hi,

This is an odd one.

Any ideas or help?
i had the same issue, its not the radio , there is a zip file that you can flash which was ported from an LG phone, and you Wifi will be fine for sure.
Check this link out, i know you will hit thanks after this for sure , lol
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2300873

bladebuddy

Dec 31, 2011
Where do I get these from and do I just flash I'm recovery please?

I am going to give you the best info you're likely going to get as I suffer the same problem.
Don't reset you're rooter switch wifi on and off on the phone as it achieves the same results.
After a while of doing this it will improve the duration it locks on to fast wifi.
Also I think relocking the bootloader helps WHY I haven't a clue.
All I know is I have the same problem with the newest and fastest wifi available in my area and after trying everything flashable, settings in wifi and even patching my wifi from roms with my wifi working the results are.
1 go back to a stock 4.3 rom.
2 try what I suggested.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 01:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 AM ----------

I am going to give you the best info you're likely going to get as I suffer the same problem.
Don't reset you're rooter switch wifi on and off on the phone as it achieves the same results.
After a while of doing this it will improve the duration it locks on to fast wifi.
Also I think relocking the bootloader helps WHY I haven't a clue.
All I know is I have the same problem with the newest and fastest wifi available in my area and after trying everything flashable, settings in wifi and even patching my wifi from roms with my wifi working the results are.
1 go back to a stock 4.3 rom.
2 try what I suggested.

To add to the above I don't know if its 4g capabilities being added to roms as I have tried everything but thats what I am looking at now even though I have flashed multiple radios.

Nuu~

Nov 19, 2012
Just asking, but are you sure you didn't confuse MByte/s with Mbit/s? (Notice the lower and upper case B )
It would make sense as 12Mbit/s are 1.5MByte/s.

Last edited:

prembox

Oct 12, 2010
Hyd
Ok guys, just so you know, Radio/Baseband has nothing to do with your WiFi connectivity or the transfers speeds you are getting on WiFi. All WiFi modules, drivers are present in the Kernel and NOT the modem/baseband. Hope this gives you clarity and prevent waste of your time fiddling with the modem to solve WiFi issues!!

bladebuddy

Dec 31, 2011
Ok guys, just so you know, Radio/Baseband has nothing to do with your WiFi connectivity or the transfers speeds you are getting on WiFi. All WiFi modules, drivers are present in the Kernel and NOT the modem/baseband. Hope this gives you clarity and prevent waste of your time fiddling with the modem to solve WiFi issues!!

Flashed enough radio basebands and pulled enough files from the system to know where both live. I am talking about interference something causing the wifi to drop suddenly as if the network is strangled (but its not) there's a few phones that suffer the same problems as I have read all there posts.
It's something causing it to drop turning it on and off helps for a short time in my case about 3mins tops.
It could be anything I just find it a little strange that on a custom rom any soap ,cm and custom stocks this happens but not on a Google image. So something strange is happening who knows. Just wish I did.

RASTAVIPER

May 2, 2011
Is Nexus 4 getting wireless speed over 2.4mb/s?
This is the maximum that I can see at transferring of files to PC on same network.
I can't have it locked over 54mbps at settings of wireless.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk 4

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

This is an odd one.

Any ideas or help?

Try changing your Radio. Which Radio you are on? Latest is .98
    Thanks for the reply mate. Im new to this, how do I tell which Radio is installed and how do I update it if needs be?
    In "About Phone" look for baseband (a.k.a. radio) version. But be careful, if you are using Jelly Bean ROM, your radio should be 0.84. If KitKat ROM, then the radio should be .97 or .98. Don't flash 97 or 98 on Jelly Bean ROM !!!
    Thanks for that,
    im on PA which is still Jelly Bean isn't it?
    But the radio is 0/84, is that what it should be?
    In "About Phone" look for "Android Version" if it's below 4.4 then you are on Jelly Bean (e.g., 4.3 or 4.2). I don't use PA ROM so I don't know which version currently for PA.
    Is Nexus 4 getting wireless speed over 2.4mb/s?
    This is the maximum that I can see at transferring of files to PC on same network.
    I can't have it locked over 54mbps at settings of wireless.

An update on my nexus Speeds.
    By testing different channels at my router, I managed to get finally an impressive 35 mbps download speed at speedtest, resulting in almost 4.4mb/s.