[DIY][Tutorial] Get rid of the Led bleed on your photos !

Search This thread

profyler

Oct 5, 2012
Sâo Paulo
Im dissapointed that Sony didnt pay atention on building up the Z1 Compact and put a plastic cover in the back and not a glass one, witch might have saved the Z1C of having a annoying flashlight bleed. I cant believe Sony didnt notice this, and the bad part is, that i dont think at all that they will have a solution with a sw update since they dont even have knowledge on this problem and said its the users fault
You can learn more about the bleed here: http://www.inside-handy.de/news/305...itz-bug-bei-farbigen-modellen-noch-deutlicher

Problem: the z1c has a problem with flash bleeding under certain circumstance; If you set your Z1C on superior auto, with led flash on you will probably have a led bleed picture IF you're taking the photo at night, specially on long distance objects but also on near objects. For a very close picture or macro, I dont have bleed at all, so dont judge if you have the bleed by taking just one or two pictures...

Cause: The light of the Led pass through the plastic cover until it reaches the sensor. this is also caused by the depth difference between the sensor and the plastic cover back. i had the same issue using a bumper in my LG Optimus 4x hd, and i fixed it the same way.

Solution: Buy youself a "undeletable black pen". Those pen that you use for writing on a CD and doesnt vanished. You can find it everywhere.
Now you have to be carefull, and paint the part that causes the interference on the sensor, like the picture wich is atached here:
Try to paint that little elevation of the plastic cover just above the chrome ring.
Ok thats it.
Dont worry if you have painted the chrome ring a little bit. Those "undeletable pen" arent exactly undeletable. you can erease it with alcoohol anytime, but it wont go out only by brushing it with your hand or water wich is exactly what we want. I also painted a little of the cromed ring and i vanished it with a toothpick with little alcohol.
In fact, if you dont like the modification, you can erease everything with a piece of cloth and little alcohol... not a big deal.
Ps: may worked for the colored Z1c too, but you will have to live with a small black scratch near the lense.

The pic atached (left) is my Z1c after I made the fix, and you can see its all fine and not note that i made a black track with the pen.

Also, if Sony manages to fix it with a software update, you can easyli ereased it back, but dont expect that...

Last edited:

profyler

Oct 5, 2012
Sâo Paulo
Veredict: The Z1c still makes bad night pictures with noise, but at least the bleed is removed with the fix, because the light will be blocked by the black paint from reaching the sensor. The pics will even look better, with correct colors and looking more natural.

Samples: The first pic is in darkness with the only light beeing from the street and from those apartments.
The second pic is in my living room with absolutely no light and complete dark.

You can clearly see the light bleed on the lower part of the first two pics that doesnt have the fix.
You can clearly see that there is no more light bleed after the fix.

Those below are without the bleed fix. (superior auto + led on)

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0053.jpg

Now the same with the fix I made , and same camera settings:

DSC_0062.jpg

DSC_0076.jpg

Last edited:

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
:D I did this like 4 days ago... Although not the same as yours hahaha! I covered the whole sides of the camera with a dirty toy clay and so far no bleeds! Hahaha

Yeah BTW

for black phones I recommend a black pen like the thread starter did.
for white phones I recommend a white out
for pink and lime I recommend toy clays. They have pink and lime colors and enough to block the bleed that matches the case color. And of course very easy to remove.

Reactions: pathaniya

profyler

Oct 5, 2012
Sâo Paulo
:D I did this like 4 days ago... Although not the same as yours hahaha! I covered the whole sides of the camera with a dirty toy clay and so far no bleeds! Hahaha

Yeah BTW

for black phones I recommend a black pen like the thread starter did.
for white phones I recommend a white out
for pink and lime I recommend toy clays. They have pink and lime colors and enough to block the bleed that matches the case color. And of course very easy to remove.

Yeah, there might be other solutions like the one you did, but i think the more discrete one is the one i did.
Anyway, the results are more than pleasant.

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
Yeah, there might be other solutions like the one you did, but i think the more discrete one is the one i did.
Anyway, the results are more than pleasant.

Anyways I tried something new just now... I removed the clay and colored the silver lining with a black pen. Now it's dark silver colored and guess what. The light bleed is non existent also. I am assuming that when the LED flashes the back case glow and some of the diffused light bounces on the silver lining of the lens and amplifying it to the glass which causes the bleed.

vetko

Sep 6, 2012
Try to paint that little elevation of the plastic cover just above the chrome ring.

Does this mean that removing the ASF (the plastic protector) from the back should prevent the bleeding? Because it is the side of the ASF that you apply the paint on, right?

Last edited:
Reactions: _katho_

aigaming

Oct 29, 2011
Belgrade
Yeah,it would fix bleeding problem or maybe someone will make rubber cover that covers the flashpoint part and viola-problem fixed :)

profyler

Oct 5, 2012
Sâo Paulo
Anyways I tried something new just now... I removed the clay and colored the silver lining with a black pen. Now it's dark silver colored and guess what. The light bleed is non existent also. I am assuming that when the LED flashes the back case glow and some of the diffused light bounces on the silver lining of the lens and amplifying it to the glass which causes the bleed.

yeah the flash pass trough the plastic and also reachers the silver ring. But i didnt want a black ring so i painted only the plastic..

profyler

Oct 5, 2012
Sâo Paulo
Does this mean that removing the ASF (the plastic protector) from the back should prevent the bleeding? Because it is the side of the ASF that you apply the paint on, right?

no, theres no asf on the back. you have to paint the little elevation of the plastic like im showing in ther first post. only that and just that little part.

brocnical

Oct 9, 2011
Ulster
Excellent fix! Have you posted that this issue can be fixed very easily on Sony's forums? Since it is a simple design fault with the back cover, we should surely be within our rights to demand a replacement back cover under warranty? I think many of us should get together and pressurise them to offer such replacements, as I don't want to take a pen to my brand new phone just yet!

Last edited:

profyler

Oct 5, 2012
Sâo Paulo
Excellent fix! Have you posted that issue can be fixed very easily on Sony's forums? Since it is a simple design fault with the back cover, we should surely be within our rights to demand a replacement back cover under warranty? I think many of us should get together and pressurise them to offer such replacements, as I don't want to take a pen to my balance new phone just yet!

yeah, I also didnt want to take a pen to my new device, but see in the pic, that there is absolutely no aesthetic modification. If you could compare mine, to yours, you would see absolutely any diference.

if sony is smart, they would change the plastic cover to a more slimmer one, by doing that, the bleed will not pass to this little elevation it has till the sensor, in other word, there would be no more depth difference from the round sensor and the back plastic cover.

yeah, i also gave the tip to the sony forum.

brocnical

Oct 9, 2011
Ulster
Excellent fix! Have you posted that this issue can be fixed very easily on Sony's forums? Since it is a simple design fault with the back cover, we should surely be within our rights to demand a replacement back cover under warranty? I think many of us should get together and pressurise them to offer such replacements, as I don't want to take a pen to my brand new phone just yet!

yeah, I also didnt want to take a pen to my new device, but see in the pic, that there is absolutely no aesthetic modification. If you could compare mine, to yours, you would see absolutely any diference.

if sony is smart, they would change the plastic cover to a more slimmer one, by doing that, the bleed will not pass to this little elevation it has till the sensor, in other word, there would be no more depth difference from the round sensor and the back plastic cover.

yeah, i also gave the tip to the sony forum.

Well, mine is white so not so sure about that ;)

On a slimmer cover, you probably want a difference in depth to prevent the lens from being scratched when the phone is set down. No?

Sony have also made replacements in the past for other issues on other phones such as a popping noise in Xperia (mini) Pro video recording so don't see why there wouldn't be an official fix for this too.

Last edited:

profyler

Oct 5, 2012
Sâo Paulo
Well, mine is white so not so sure about that ;)

On a slimmer cover, you probably want a difference in depth to prevent the lens from being scratched when the phone is set down. No?

Sony have also made replacements in the past for other issues on other phones such as a popping noise in Xperia (mini) Pro video recording so don't see why there wouldn't be an official fix for this too.

Yeah, may be you can try with a white pen, but i dont know if such thing exist =/
Usually, the lens are from mineral cristal or saphire. I pretty sure our is also scratch proof. There could be a deph difference but not so high like sonny did.

May be sonny could fix this issue with a newer back cover on the production line, but i doubt they will replace those who already have this issur.
They could make an software uodate that could may be correct this bleed by having a special algorithm correcting the light balance from the botom of the pics, still I think that is very very hard to do, because of the difficulties of producing the bleed only on some ocasions.
I wouldnt expect a software fix at all from sony. They already said its user fault, too.

brocnical

Oct 9, 2011
Ulster
May be sonny could fix this issue with a newer back cover on the production line, but i doubt they will replace those who already have this issur.
They could make an software uodate that could may be correct this bleed by having a special algorithm correcting the light balance from the botom of the pics, still I think that is very very hard to do, because of the difficulties of producing the bleed only on some ocasions.
I wouldnt expect a software fix at all from sony. They already said its user fault, too.

Except this thread is evidence that it's a hardware issue. As I've said, they've fixed minor hardware issues in the past for those who wanted it. A bit of plastic on the back isn't exactly going to be the most expensive of parts either.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Im dissapointed that Sony didnt pay atention on building up the Z1 Compact and put a plastic cover in the back and not a glass one, witch might have saved the Z1C of having a annoying flashlight bleed. I cant believe Sony didnt notice this, and the bad part is, that i dont think at all that they will have a solution with a sw update since they dont even have knowledge on this problem and said its the users fault
    You can learn more about the bleed here: http://www.inside-handy.de/news/305...itz-bug-bei-farbigen-modellen-noch-deutlicher

Problem: the z1c has a problem with flash bleeding under certain circumstance; If you set your Z1C on superior auto, with led flash on you will probably have a led bleed picture IF you're taking the photo at night, specially on long distance objects but also on near objects. For a very close picture or macro, I dont have bleed at all, so dont judge if you have the bleed by taking just one or two pictures...

Cause: The light of the Led pass through the plastic cover until it reaches the sensor. this is also caused by the depth difference between the sensor and the plastic cover back. i had the same issue using a bumper in my LG Optimus 4x hd, and i fixed it the same way.

Solution: Buy youself a "undeletable black pen". Those pen that you use for writing on a CD and doesnt vanished. You can find it everywhere.
    Now you have to be carefull, and paint the part that causes the interference on the sensor, like the picture wich is atached here:
    Ok thats it.
    Dont worry if you have painted the chrome ring a little bit. Those "undeletable pen" arent exactly undeletable. you can erease it with alcoohol anytime, but it wont go out only by brushing it with your hand or water wich is exactly what we want. I also painted a little of the cromed ring and i vanished it with a toothpick with little alcohol.
    In fact, if you dont like the modification, you can erease everything with a piece of cloth and little alcohol... not a big deal.
    Ps: may worked for the colored Z1c too, but you will have to live with a small black scratch near the lense.

The pic atached (left) is my Z1c after I made the fix, and you can see its all fine and not note that i made a black track with the pen.

Also, if Sony manages to fix it with a software update, you can easyli ereased it back, but dont expect that...
    Veredict: The Z1c still makes bad night pictures with noise, but at least the bleed is removed with the fix, because the light will be blocked by the black paint from reaching the sensor. The pics will even look better, with correct colors and looking more natural.

Samples: The first pic is in darkness with the only light beeing from the street and from those apartments.
    The second pic is in my living room with absolutely no light and complete dark.

You can clearly see the light bleed on the lower part of the first two pics that doesnt have the fix.
    You can clearly see that there is no more light bleed after the fix.

Those below are without the bleed fix. (superior auto + led on)

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0053.jpg

Now the same with the fix I made , and same camera settings:

DSC_0062.jpg

DSC_0076.jpg
    pu2e8ymu.jpg

y5araru5.jpg

heres some pix (back) of the unit, later batches i guess, in my country sony just release this about couple days ago. Seems the same physically, altho i dunno for internal parts update though.

Hoping this pix are ok to you guys im using a tablet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ujyzaren.jpg

8e5yparu.jpg

mysa2ady.jpg

Hoping it will be much better than previous,it was captured by daytime now, also by a tablet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Saw the z1 today. There is no depth difference from the lenses to the back cover, thats surely why the z1 doesnt have the bleed.