[Q] Install ROM without installing root

Search This thread

IonAphis

Jan 31, 2011
Buenos Aires
So I have an unlockable bootloader XT1058. Currently running 4.4.2 I wanted to root, but have read rooting includes downgrading and doing things I'm not too comfortable in doing (image flashing has claimed one of my phones before). So I was thinking, installing CWM or TWRP looks actually simpler than rooting the phone. I really don't care about losing data on the phone, but would like to do a nandroid before installing a custom ROM. So the question is: can I Install custom recovery, do a nandroid and flash custom ROM without first rooting?

flashallthetime

May 27, 2012
Stouffville
So I have an unlockable bootloader XT1058. Currently running 4.4.2 I wanted to root, but have read rooting includes downgrading and doing things I'm not too comfortable in doing (image flashing has claimed one of my phones before). So I was thinking, installing CWM or TWRP looks actually simpler than rooting the phone. I really don't care about losing data on the phone, but would like to do a nandroid before installing a custom ROM. So the question is: can I Install custom recovery, do a nandroid and flash custom ROM without first rooting?

Return it for a developer edition moto , cause you're never ever going to be able the flash custom recovery with a locked boot loader

Sent on my Gummy running Lenoto X

D

Darth

Did you read at all?? I have an UNLOCKABLE bootloader.. Not locked...

Nice temper ya got there.

Technically ...an unlockable boot loader would mean you have the only Moto x in existence that has a boot loader incapable of being locked. Ever. Lol

Also....did you read at all? If you mean to say your boot loader is unlocked, then flashing a custom recovery and rooting is the easiest thing in the world to do. And the info on doing it is all over the Moto x forums.......but.....you'd have to read. ;) it's no different than doing it on a nexus. Just a hint.

Sent from my Moto X cellular telephone...

flashallthetime

May 27, 2012
Stouffville
Did you read at all?? I have an UNLOCKABLE bootloader.. Not locked...

You change it from locked to unlocked, so unlock it flash recovery and you can do what ever you want from there
Rooting is up to you but most people root , you don't need to
Yes I would suggest doing a nandroid prior to rooting of the stock system img

Sent on my Gummy running Lenoto X

IonAphis

Jan 31, 2011
Buenos Aires
Nice temper ya got there.

Technically ...an unlockable boot loader would mean you have the only Moto x in existence that has boot loader incapable of being locked.

Also....did you read at all? If you mean to say your boot loader is unlocked, then flashing a custom recovery and rooting is the easiest thing in the world to do. And the info on doing it is all over the Moto x forums.......but.....you'd have to read. ;)

Sorry for the response, I'm on the phone and didn't really measure my response.. The thing I wanted to know is if my bootloader is unlocked, can I install custom recovery and do a nandroid without first having root or is root necessary to install custom recovery and backup?

gokart2

Sep 21, 2011
Detroit
Moto Z2 Force
Google Pixel 6
Sorry for the response, I'm on the phone and didn't really measure my response.. The thing I wanted to know is if my bootloader is unlocked, can I install custom recovery and do a nandroid without first having root or is root necessary to install custom recovery and backup?

Root is not required. Unlock bootloader, mfastboot flash recovery, boot into recovery and you can nondroid back up.

D

Darth

Never have I flashed a custom recovery and not immediately rooted after. So try it. It'll work or it won't. LOL

Why not root? Its simple. Twrp will do it for you even.

IonAphis

Jan 31, 2011
Buenos Aires
Root is not required. Unlock bootloader, mfastboot flash recovery, boot into recovery and you can nondroid back up.

OK thanks. I just read somewhere that to do the nandroid you had to have root since you could not access certain directories... I've had Nexus phones for the last 3 phones so I'm not used to all this knieving and shady proceedings to install root and ROMs

D

Darth

OK thanks. I just read somewhere that to do the nandroid you had to have root since you could not access certain directories... I've had Nexus phones for the last 3 phones so I'm not used to all this knieving and shady proceedings to install root and ROMs

An unlocked Moto x is no different than a nexus at all. As far as rooting and installing roms.

Except maybe backward compatibility. My N7 today I flashed the 4.2.2 bootloader....from kit kat and flashed a 4.2.2 rom after. That won't work on an x.

But as long as you're not trying to go back in versions....the procedure for the x and a nexus are nearly identical. Unlocked bootloader x's of course.

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

So the slapmymoto thing is just for those people with locked bootloader???

Yes

aranruth

Feb 19, 2014
plus.google.com

SM-N9000Q cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi