Detecting NFC Tag removal hacking [Powerd with Xposed, Broadcast Intent to Tasker]

Search This thread

manite

Oct 25, 2013
Seems the LG Volt doesn't work with this either. Set it all up and enabled the module but at lockscreen it is unresponsive to nfc tags.

superflyman

Jun 21, 2007
Hello, do you know how used this trigger with Automagic? I use only Automagic (very simply application), tasker is not intuitive.
I try use trigger "Activity Started", but nothing doing with this.

Last edited:

Etnoy

Mar 14, 2015
Okay, good news. I am running a SM-G900F (Galaxy S5) on Cyanogenmod 12 and am using Xposed alpha2 for Lollipop. I have installed NfcLockScreenEnabler in xposed, and when using the plugin's sound effects I hear the system detecting the presence and removal of the tag. However, I am unable to do anything else. I get an error message similar to the following:

Code:
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: com.android.nfc.VNfcService#checkScreenState()#bestmatch
	at de.robv.android.xposed.XposedHelpers.findMethodBestMatch(XposedHelpers.java:233)
	at de.robv.android.xposed.XposedHelpers.findMethodBestMatch(XposedHelpers.java:284)
	at de.robv.android.xposed.XposedHelpers.callMethod(XposedHelpers.java:947)
	at pk.qwerty12.nfclockscreenoffenabler.NFCLockScreenOffEnabler$PresenceCheckWatchdogRunHook.beforeHookedMethod(NFCLockScreenOffEnabler.java:397)
	at de.robv.android.xposed.XposedBridge.handleHookedMethod(XposedBridge.java:636)
	at com.android.nfc.dhimpl.NativeNfcTag$PresenceCheckWatchdog.run(Native Method)

It all worked great in CM11 (KitKat), here's to hoping there is a quick and easy fix for my problem above :)

XlAfbk

Aug 11, 2010
the fix - as discussed on the last 2-3 pages that you chose to ignore - is to update this module for lollipop

noraef

Jul 18, 2013
Well, it'd sure be nice if this could work on Lollipop. I haven't installed Xposed yet, but Etnoy, you say NFC removal is detected, so what is it that doesn't work? Can't intercept the intent in Tasker?

XlAfbk

Aug 11, 2010
Well, it'd sure be nice if this could work on Lollipop. I haven't installed Xposed yet, but Etnoy, you say NFC removal is detected, so what is it that doesn't work? Can't intercept the intent in Tasker?
In 5.0 the module didn't enable screenoff-reading. That was fixed by my .apk mod so using mod+xposed you get the full functionality.
In 5.1 the module doesn't work at all, so you only get screenoff-reading from my .apk

See this thread for more up-to-date information: http://xdaforums.com/xposed/modules/mod-nfc-unlocking-based-t2478163

Reactions: noraef

vnwo

May 19, 2015
Is it possible to make the NFC mod work in LG G Pro 2?

Attachments

• LgNfc.apk
    673.6 KB · Views: 24
  • xposed_error_20150526_173215.log
    1.9 KB · Views: 12
  • LgNfc.odex.7z
    175.4 KB · Views: 15

MaXi32

Apr 3, 2014
Cyberjaya
Thanks

I'm using this with Tasker:
Intent Received, Action=android.nfc.action.TAG_CHANGED
Variable Set: %NFCTAGID to %tag_uuid if %tag_present ~ true
Variable Clear: %NFCTAGID if %tag_present ~ false

And then in my tasks I just listen for %NFCTAGID set/cleared

Scrolling through #300+ posts and you are the want who provide this solution.. I'm wondering, what happen to the OP? The first post is outdated. Documentation is suck.

jazic

Apr 1, 2011
I can't seem to get this working with my Nex 6. I'm on 5.1.1 (LMY48I).

I have Xposed and other modules working perfectly but this one doesn't want to work...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

XlAfbk

Aug 11, 2010
Thanks for the link! I'm giving it a whirl now but I seem to be stuck on step 5. I can't find "classes.dex" in the NfcNci.apk that I pulled off of my Nexus 6.
Are you using the official Google ROM? If so you might be lucky and someone in the thread might have posted a modded apk already (though you'll have to go to all pages after my post to look for it :().
If there's no classes.dex in the apk you'll probably have a .odex file next to the apk? If so you'll have to deodex that file first to get the classes.dex (http://www.xda-developers.com/deodex-all-the-things-with-universal-deodexer/), then afterwards delete the .odex and have only the modded apk. Remember to make backup first! :)

jazic

Apr 1, 2011
Are you using the official Google ROM? If so you might be lucky and someone in the thread might have posted a modded apk already (though you'll have to go to all pages after my post to look for it :().
If there's no classes.dex in the apk you'll probably have a .odex file next to the apk? If so you'll have to deodex that file first to get the classes.dex (http://www.xda-developers.com/deodex-all-the-things-with-universal-deodexer/), then afterwards delete the .odex and have only the modded apk. Remember to make backup first! :)

I'm on stock 5.1.1 but rooted with a handful of xposed modules. Modded but nothing crazy.

This is what I have when I extract it from the .apk using 7zip:
WbRU6Mi.png

As for the .odex next to the NfcNci.apk, this is what I have:
XfYoMhX.png

Last edited:

stephn666

Dec 17, 2011
apk modified for Galaxy S6, but i don't test because i have only a tag NXP MIFARE Classic 1K - not supported (hardware or software limitation ?)
i'm a limited user, link by private message, sorry

froopie

Jan 19, 2016
Hi, I am relatively new to this, so if somebody could answer some basic questions that would be great.

I have a Moto X (2013) with Android 5.1 and not rooted.
I want to detect when the phone is removed from an NFC tag.
  • Is any of the .apks in this thread working for my phone?
  • When I download one it says that it will change an existing server on my phone. I didn't do it in order not to break something entirely. Can I revert the installation of an .apk?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [2014-03-13] back to Nfc.apk mod again( since xposed won't work under KitKat ART mode)
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51047371&postcount=404

No more hacking, no more mod(nfc mod, still need AnyTag mod), with Xposed(you can download XposedInstaller.apk in that thread), you just need to install a plugin :
    [2014-02-10, compatiable with AOKP kitkat 4.4.2]
    (I've modified this plugin to support tag removal detecting, so you don't need nfc.apk mod any more)
    [2013-10-25 updated, Add Intent broadcast to support "Tasker Intent receiver", pk.qwerty12.nfclockscreenoffenabler.TAG_EVENT, Extras: state=discovered/lost, uid=XXXXXXXX(HEX of tag id), Tasker variables: %state, %uid]
    [2013-10-24 updated, Add Intent broadcast to support "Tasker Intent receiver", pk.qwerty12.nfclockscreenoffenabler.TAG_DISCOVERED_XXXX, pk.qwerty12.nfclockscreenoffenabler.TAG_LOST_XXXX(where XXXX is the HEX of specified tag id). Don't need AnyTag anymore, with tasker you can receive Intent when tag discovered or tag lost]
    [2013-10-22 updated, Add support for LG G2 (D802 - internationnal version), merged with MohammadAG's code]
    [2013-10-09 updated, NOW ALSO compatible with android 4.1 and before. The Apk version is still v1.4 ]
    [2013-09-20 updated, add tag presence check timeout setting, this can help for battery saving.]
    [2013-09-05 updated, modified by MohammadAG, added taglost sound option]

View attachment NFCLockScreenOffEnabler19.apk
    View attachment NFCLockScreenOffEnabler1.9-src.zip

the testing for battery consumption effected by tag presence check timeout setting(GalaxyNexus JB4.3 stock ROM)
    timeout stock setting: 125ms
    wifi off, put phone on tag all night
    begin time: 01:36 battery: 97%
    end time : 10:26 battery: 34%
    battery consumption per hour: 7.134%

timeout custom setting: 20 seconds
    begin time: 23:27 battery: 98%
    end time : 08:03 battery: 56%
    battery consumption per hour: 4.884%

timeout custom setting: 4 seconds
    begin time: 00:11 battery: 97%
    end time : 08:12 battery: 54%
    battery consumption per hour: 5.364%

Battery consumption without nfc tag(Galaxy Nexus JB4.3 Stock ROM)
    reboot, wifi off, Disable Nfc
    begin time 23:56 battery: 98%
    end time 07:30 battery: 90%
    battery consumption per hour: 1.056%

reboot, wifi off, Nfc on, Disable nfc when screen off
    begin time 23:03 battery: 96%
    end time 07:30 battery: 86%
    battery consumption per hour: 1.182%

reboot, wifi off, Nfc on, Enable nfc when screen off
    begin time 23:10 battery: 100%
    end time 07:30 battery: 86%
    battery consumption per hour: 1.68%

Thanks to rovo89 for his great work - Xposed!
    and thanks to Neuer_User for his suggestion.
    The code of the plugin module NFCLockscreenoffEnabler.apk is based on the Xposed mod of NFC lock screen: https://github.com/qwerty12/NFCLockscreenoffEnabler/, thanks to the author of it.

1. install Xposed
    2. install NFCLockScreenOffEnabler
    3. Checked NFCLockScreenOffEnabler in Xposed
    4. set options you want.
    5. reboot
    5. still need AnyTag mod version, or you can install new version of ReTag, it supports tag lost message now!!

What this mod can do?

after did this mod, with AnyTag(mod) + tasker + secure settings plugin + secure settings helper, you can:
    1. put your phone on the "Bedside tag", your phone turn to silence mod, take the phone off the tag, your phone auto turn off silence mod
    2. put your phone on the "CarDock tag", your phone auto unlock, turn to CarHome mode, run some special apps, take the phone off the tag, your phone auto kill some special apps, exit carhome mode, lock screen ...
    3. Other things you can image....

How to receive tag discovered Intent with Tasker?
    Tasker->profiles->add->Event->System->Intent Received->Action=pk.qwerty12.nfclockscreenoffenabler.TAG_DISCOVERED_XXXXXXXX
    where XXXXXXXX = HEX string of your tag id, like: 00AABBCC

How to receive tag lost Intent with Tasker?
    Tasker->profiles->add->Event->System->Intent Received->Action=pk.qwerty12.nfclockscreenoffenabler.TAG_LOST_XXXXXXXX
    where XXXXXXXX = HEX string of your tag id, like: 00AABBCC

How to use tasker to auto unlock your phone and run some apps?

tasker + secure settings plugin + secure settings helper
    Create task, add actions:
    1. Secure Settings, Screen & Keyboard Lights On 5 seconds
    2. Wait 60ms
    3. Secure Settins, Keyguard Enabled
    4. Wait 100ms
    5. Secure Settings, Keyguard Disabled/BG
    6. run apps ....
    7. do things you want ...
    8. Secure Settings, Screen & Keyboard Light On 10 Seconds

How to do that
    1. Download the mod AnyTag.apk from attachments. Install it.
    2. Download the mod Nfc.apk (device dependence) from attachments, copy it to /system/app/Nfc.apk, reboot

download modified anytag.apk: View attachment AnyTAG1.2.6-mod.apk

=====================obsolete =============================

#download modified Nfc.apk:
    #AOKP ROMs
    #Galaxy Nexus 4.1.2 AOKP: View attachment 1700757
    #Galaxy Nexus 4.2.1 AOKP: View attachment 1767293
    #Galaxy Nexus 4.2.2 AOKP: View attachment Nfc4.2.2-mod.apk
    #
    #InsertCoin
    #HOX InsertCoinV17 4.1.1(not test): View attachment Nfc-HOX-InsertCoinV17-4.1.1.apk
    #
    #Stock ROMs
    #Galaxy Nexus 4.2.1 (thanks for LoveNFC): View attachment Nfc-mod-combine-GN4.2.1.apk
    #Galaxy Nexus 4.2.1 Tag lost with no sound: View attachment 1781195
    #Galaxy Nexus 4.2.2 : View attachment Nfc-GN-stock422-combine-mod.apk
    #Google Nexus4 4.2.2 (thanks for LoveNFC): View attachment NfcNci-mod-combine-N4-4.2.2.apk
    #Google Nexus4 4.2.2 Tag lost with no sound: View attachment 1781196
    #Galaxy Note2 N719 4.1.1 : View attachment Nfc-Note2-4.1.1(N719).apk
    #Galaxy Note2 N7100 4.1.2 : View attachment 1783180
    #Galaxy Note2 Sprint 4.1.2 : View attachment Nfc-Sprint-note2-4.1.2-mod.apk
    #Galaxy Note2 LTE(N7105 XXDMB2) 4.1.2 : View attachment Nfc-Note2LTE-N7105XXDMB2-4.1.2-mod.apk
    #Galaxy S3 i747 4.1.1 (thanks for klau1): View attachment Nfc-mod-combine.apk
    #Galaxy S3 4.1.2 (tested by fruitloopy) : View attachment Nfc-GS3-4.1.2-mod.apk
    #
    #Others
    #4.1.2-N7100UBDMB1-CRISKELO-v14--->same as----
    #---->AmnoSferum_9.0.1_Mescaline_XXDMD2: View attachment Nfc-N7100UBDMB1-CRISKELO-v14-mod.apk
    #Nexus4 PurityV5.5: View attachment NfcNci-mod-ScreenOn-Signed.apk
    #
    #3. Download tasker, Secure settings plugin for tasker, Secure Settings Helper
    #
    #Video demo
    #

#

"Bedside Tag": http://youtu.be/_c9Lo-jwErg
    galaxy note2(china telecom N719): http://youtu.be/UlbxGoGjysI
    TouchStone& "Carmode Tag": http://youtu.be/zeJZ_Cy7_mM
    ES Ftp Tag with PC react: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1oN2vmHwtY

Mod Details:

1. mod nfc.apk(mod android source code and rebuild), when tag lost, broadcast intent with action "android.nfc.action.TAG_LOST"

Screenshot_2013-02-01-17-21-36.jpg

2. mod AnyTag NFC Launcher apk, play a trick with TagId, when intent action is "TAG_LOST", Tagid=Tagid + "_TAG_LOST", otherwise, Tagid = Tagid + "_TAG_DISCOVERED"

=====================obsolete =============================
    apk mod --------------------Step by Step(Note2, Windows)---------------------------------

1. tools needed
    baksmali and smali
    apktool (1.5.1)
    WinRAR
    2. copy /system/framework from phone to PC folder like D:\qlg\Dev\android\note2(N719)\framework\
    3. copy /system/app/Nfc.apk, Nfc.odex to d:\temp\mod\
    4. cmd box, cd d:\temp\mod\
    5. java -jar D:\tools\android\baksmali1.4.1\baksmali-1.4.1.jar -d D:\qlg\Dev\android\note2(N719)\framework -x -b Nfc.odex
    this will decompile Nfc.odex to d:\temp\mod\out\
    6. d:\tools\android\apktool\apktool1.5.1\apktool.bat d -f --frame-path D:\qlg\Dev\android\note2(N719)\framework Nfc.apk
    this will decompile Nfc.apk to d:\temp\mod\Nfc\
    7. copy taglost.ogg to d:\temp\mod\Nfc\res\raw\
    8. edit d:\temp\mod\Nfc\res\values\public.xml add
    <public type="raw" name="taglost" id="0x7f040006" />
    9. cd d:\tools\android\apktool\apktool1.5.1\
    apktool.bat b d:\temp\mod\Nfc\ d:\temp\mod\Nfc-mod.apk
    10. modify smali files in path d:\temp\mod\out\
    files need to modify:
    NativeNfcManager.smali
    NativeNfcTag$PresenceCheckWatchdog.smali
    NativeNfcTag.smali
    DeviceHost$DeviceHostListener.smali
    DeviceHost$TagEndpoint.smali
    DeviceHost.smali
    NfcDispatcher$DispatchInfo.smali
    NfcDispatcher.smali
    NfcService$NfcServiceHandler.smali
    NfcService.smali
    R$raw.smali

you can use BeyondCompare to help you do the modification.
    This is the original smali files and modified smali files of N7100 v4.1.2, compare it with your Nfc smali files, and you will know which place need to modify.
    View attachment note2(N7100)-smali.rar
    be aware with lines contain something like "access$xxxx", make sure the number xxx matching your actual number.

11. cd d:\temp\mod
    12. java -jar D:\tools\android\baksmali1.4.1\smali-1.4.1.jar -o classes.dex out
    this will compile smali files in d:\temp\mod\out , and generate d:\temp\mod\classes.dex
    13. rename stock apk, d:\temp\mod\Nfc.apk--> Nfc.apk.zip,open it with WinRAR,
    rename d:\temp\mod\Nfc-mod.apk -->Nfc-mod.apk.zip,open it with WinRAR
    14. drag resources.arsc and res\raw\taglost.ogg from Nfc-mod.apk.zip into Nfc.apk.zip, drag d:\temp\mod\classes.dex into Nfc.apk.zip, when WinRAR popup the options window, choose the compression mode as Store
    15、rename Nfc.apk.zip to Nfc.apk, copy it to your phone /system/app, delete /system/app/Nfc.odex, change Nfc.apk permission rw-r--r--
    16、reboot

OK, as Orphee said, we should not abandon old things, maybe they would be useful when it's the time you need them.
    Here, I've found another way to mod nfc.apk, we touch less files this time - only 4 files:
    NativeNfcTag$PresenceCheckWatchdog.smali
    NativeNfcTag.smali
    DeviceHost$TagEndpoint.smali
    NfcService$NfcServiceHandler.smali
    Details : View attachment Nfc-taglost-mod-doc.rar
    I'm a bit stucked here too.
    First ID TAG is longer than the op, and rather looks like AABBCCDDEEFFGG. It can be easily found when adding the tag in "autorized" list

Applying tag on my phone, enable screen when locked ... I guessed it's the general purpose/behavior and module is correctly installed

But intents doesn't seem to work : "discovered" and "lost" ones doesn't launch the basic tasks created (toast notification only for debug)
    I didn't match any revelent information within logcat, even so I enabled the debug option.
    Checked the intent spellcheck... I may be blind.

Anyone got a working tasker export I can adapt ?

you're probably using the wrong intents, see http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=47213074&postcount=351
    I'm using this with Tasker:
    Intent Received, Action=android.nfc.action.TAG_CHANGED
    Variable Set: %NFCTAGID to %tag_uuid if %tag_present ~ true
    Variable Clear: %NFCTAGID if %tag_present ~ false

And then in my tasks I just listen for %NFCTAGID set/cleared
    Hello Mohammad,

i hope this log is better? :)

Code:
    10-04 18:05:38.017: W/System.err(1143): java.lang.NullPointerException
    10-04 18:05:38.017: W/System.err(1143): at pk.qwerty12.nfclockscreenoffenabler.NFCLockScreenOffEnabler$PresenceCheckWatchdogRunHook.afterHookedMethod(NFCLockScreenOffEnabler.java:146)
    10-04 18:05:38.017: W/System.err(1143): at de.robv.android.xposed.XposedBridge.handleHookedMethod(XposedBridge.java:483)
    10-04 18:05:38.017: W/System.err(1143): at com.android.nfc.nxp.NativeNfcTag$PresenceCheckWatchdog.run(Native Method)

greets,
    marcel

The log is better, but I can't make out which line the bug's at, are you running the latest APK?

@madfish73 in addition to presence checking, I've added NFC unlocking to the mod for 4.2+ devices, ala Moto X's $20 Skip. The APK is available here, <Link removed, future fork will be available> with the source on my github as usual.

Also, I think the OP needs a rewrite, it's a bit untidy (no centralized changelog, etc).

Explanation on the unlock feature:
    The unlocking is done by hooking into the Android keyguard features, when a correct NFC tag is detected, a correct code is simulated and the device is unlocked.
    Due to technical limitations in Xposed, I have to use an intent to unlock the device.
    The intent is "pk.qwerty12.nfclockscreenoffenabler.UNLOCK_DEVICE"

Leaving the implementation as described above leaves any devices vulnerable to attack, as anyone that knows the APK is installed can use adb shell, or even an app, to bypass the lockscreen.
    A day or two of thinking, I decided to overcome this by intercepting the sendBroadcast() method. Any app that decides to use the intent except the Nfc.apk package, will be denied and a notification posted to the user, if you get this notification, then some app tried to use the intent and was caught.
    Therefore, this mod is very secure. You may skim over the source code if you have any doubts.

Screenshot for reference:
    hGw3Vzul.png

And here's a failed attempt using adb:
    Code:
    mohammad@mohammad-i5desktop:~$ adb shell am broadcast -a pk.qwerty12.nfclockscreenoffenabler.UNLOCK_DEVICE
    Broadcasting: Intent { act=pk.qwerty12.nfclockscreenoffenabler.UNLOCK_ATTEMPT_INTERCEPTED }
    Broadcast completed: result=0