[Q] hltetmo vs hltecan. Also question about bootloaders.

Search This thread

jtl999

Sep 7, 2012
What is the difference between devices hltetmo and hltecan? I have a hltecan. Will we need CyanogenMod compiled for hltecan? I notice that recoveries have different versions for both devices. Also I am wondering about downgrading for 4.4 (when it comes) to 4.3. Is there a surefire way to upgrade and downgrade between 4.4 TW 4.4 CM and 4.3TW? I would not mind voiding my Knox counter. Just worried about being stuck or getting a brick for another 21 months on contract :silly:

jaythenut

Sep 6, 2012
What is the difference between devices hltetmo and hltecan? I have a hltecan. Will we need CyanogenMod compiled for hltecan? I notice that recoveries have different versions for both devices. Also I am wondering about downgrading for 4.4 (when it comes) to 4.3. Is there a surefire way to upgrade and downgrade between 4.4 TW 4.4 CM and 4.3TW? I would not mind voiding my Knox counter. Just worried about being stuck or getting a brick for another 21 months on contract :silly:

you cant downgrade if you want cm you have to stay on 4.3 for now

radicalisto

Nov 13, 2013
York
Sigh. I would do anything to be able to upgrade and downgrade between versions. Even Knox counter. If anyone finds something let me know :)

I played around a bit earlier... The only firmware you can upgrade to 4.4.2 and downgrade back to 4.3 is the mexican telco one for the n900w8, however I had some issues but will play some more tomorrow when I get time. As for KNOX, it's just one of them things we have to live with I'm afraid..

EDIT: I'm gonna mess with the bootloader and see, doubt it can be matched/mixed to work with the N9005 but what's the harm in trying.

Last edited:

jtl999

Sep 7, 2012
I played around a bit earlier... The only firmware you can upgrade to 4.4.2 and downgrade back is the mexican telco one for the n900w8, however I had some issues but will play some more tomorrow when I get time. As for KNOX, it's just one of them things we have to live with I'm afraid..

Please try with Telus firmware please. Currently on MJ1

jtl999

Sep 7, 2012
I played around a bit earlier... The only firmware you can upgrade to 4.4.2 and downgrade back to 4.3 is the mexican telco one for the n900w8, however I had some issues but will play some more tomorrow when I get time. As for KNOX, it's just one of them things we have to live with I'm afraid..

EDIT: I'm gonna mess with the bootloader and see, doubt it can be matched/mixed to work with the N9005 but what's the harm in trying.

The harm in trying is a hardbrick.

radicalisto

Nov 13, 2013
York
Well yes there is that, however I am not overly fussed about it, as most HB's can be revived. I am aware of all the risks, so will be my fault 100% if I brick myself.

Rajito

May 16, 2012
I upgraded my note 3 yesterday to android 4.4 with cm 11, using the probam rom.
I noticed that it lacked the s pen features, so i downgraded back to stock rom.
Download a stock rom and flash it trough twrp

Sent from the Android beast: Galaxy Note 3

jtl999

Sep 7, 2012

Flash a tar.md5 through twrp? What version of the stock rom?

Did you have the new bootloader?

radicalisto

Nov 13, 2013
York

CM is based on MJ/MK Bootloader. You could run Android 9.6 and it'd make no difference. It's all about the bootloader :cowboy:

radicalisto

Nov 13, 2013
York
MJ7 is the bootloader that powers CM currently. You need a bootloader to be able to boot into the operating system. Like a key into the phone.

If you upgrade your bootloader to a newer version aka NA6 it locks the phone. Therefore anything that runs lower than NA6 aka MJ7 won't work.

Think of it like, you broke your door, you got a new door and tried to use the old key. It no long works.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

jtl999

Sep 7, 2012
MJ7 is the bootloader that powers CM currently. You need a bootloader to be able to boot into the operating system. Like a key into the phone.

If you upgrade your bootloader to a newer version aka NA6 it locks the phone. Therefore anything that runs lower than NA6 aka MJ7 won't work.

Think of it like, you broke your door, you got a new door and tried to use the old key. It no long works.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I know how bootloaders work. Isn't there a way to omit bootloaders from Odin tar.md5 updates? Once I/Someone figures that out I'm golden staying with my old bootloader. Currently on MJ1.

G

GuestK00445

you cant downgrade if you want cm you have to stay on 4.3 for now

hi, can you elaborate?

i always thought samsung doesn't let you downgrade to an older bootloader. but if you install CM (not samsung official updates) the bootloader doesn't get updated so you can downgrade in the future.

unless you upgrade to 4.4.2 official samsung ROM and update the bootloader, then you'll never be able to downgrade again?

Rajito

May 16, 2012
Flash a tar.md5 through twrp? What version of the stock rom?

Did you have the new bootloader?

No, if you want to try out kitkat i recommend you to use a cyanogenmod based 4.4 like probam, it doesn't update your bootloader and you can just downgrade back to jellybean