Unlock your SD card(tested on HD2) after WP7 or Mango installation :)

Search This thread

NYSEAN1

Oct 9, 2010
I am a flash addict and I am sure most of you are. I can't stand a smooth running phone that works flawlessly. If it does, then I must do something to it to destroy it's stability. Well, it's not easy to brick HD2 unless you are a real dummy or like to live very dangerously lolll....even that can be fixed...but it was more difficult for me to find a way to unlock my SD card back to normal after WP7 installation. Some suggested in this forum that some of the cameras and nokia phones will do the trick...I was frustrated when I screwed up my 16GB sd card and could not find that camera or phone...as it won't make sense to buy them to restore a $15 card.....so I gave up on that card until today....I decided to play with WP mango again with the same sd card...resulted in locking it again...my challenge was to succeed unlocking it this time.....followed the same old procedures with no success...I tried and exhausted all options again!!! Then I decided to pop my sd card on my second hd2 which is running android with 4ext recovery installed and try to format it or something....and it worked!!!!! Just repartitioned the card and reformatted and it automatically unlocked it during the process....No step by step by step by step installation of software or reading pages or running codes.....nothing else was needed!
Life is meant to be simple after all :)
Anyone who is having the same issue with sd card after Windows Phone 7 or 7.5 installation just repartition and reformat your card via 4ext recovery and it will work...nothing else needed :} Good Luck!
All credits to 4ext recovery developer....and the developer must be proud to find this info.

Here is Step by Step process-

If you are running Android NAND and have 4ext recovery installed....then
1. Turn off your device
2. Take out the SD card(if there is any in it) and insert the one you want to unlock/fix
3. Turn on your device HOLD red power button until you get to aMAGLDR v1.13 menu
4. Go to option 8. AD Recovery hit green button for it load
5. Now you should have 4ext recovery(mine is version 2.2.7) menu
6. Scroll down to Advanced
7. Choose> Partition SD Card
8. Choose whatever size you want to first one, second one to be and the rest goes to fat. If you want all in one partition, just choose '0' for the first two and '0' as swap.
9. Follow on screen instruction you may see.....and it will delete all previous partition and create new one
8. NOW go back to main 4ext recovery menu....and format you SD card...AND there it it! Your SD card it back to normal...enjoy :)
NOTE: I use 4ext recovery that you flash via usb flasher thru magldr NOT the one from market. You can find the flashable one in here. I will try to find the link and post it. BUT it is not and will not be my work!

Here is a link I found....but this NOT what I used. I used this recovery that I found in one ROM link I have tried in the past which I can't think of but I have been using the same recovery since then because it is the BEST with the option of EXT4 file system....the one I have you can directly flash it like any other recovery you normally would to partition NAND to flash NAND Android roms. Nand partition size has nothing to do with sd recovery steps.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1297587

Since I did not use the above option....I won't be much of help. But from my understanding you can use this option to update your current recovery to 4ext recovery and then follow my steps. The app from the market would require to update your current recovery as well to be able to use my method to restore your SD card after WP7 installation Good Luck! Although it is a very simple process to undertake, I am not responsible if you damage your phone or the sd card even more!!!
If someone who has the usb flashable version of 4ext recovery(for HD2) could attach it or provide link that would be great for everyone. Mine is installed in the phone and I don't seem to have that file....too many files I download everyday and must delete them all at some point :)

Last edited:

hjhjhj

Jul 7, 2010
If you've found a solution to a problem...please go ahead and include a link or something so people can find the tool you used without having to spend time searching through threads and forums, instead of just writing that you found a solution.

Whatdoyaknow

Jun 25, 2010
GoldenSandsUtopia
please provide more detail. I downloaded free app from Android "Play Store" market but cannot see where to partition card.

Please provide more detail. i.e. is it free or paid version.

which menu to use etc

NYSEAN1

Oct 9, 2010
I will post detailed step by step soon
SEE Post#1
Sent from my HTC HD2 using xda premium

Last edited:
Reactions: whombeartoe

NYSEAN1

Oct 9, 2010
please provide more detail. I downloaded free app from Android "Play Store" market but cannot see where to partition card.

which menu to use etc

I did not install that way(read post) but I think you have to update your recovery to 4ext after you install that app. And after that you can easily try my steps. It will work :)

Reactions: Whatdoyaknow

Whatdoyaknow

Jun 25, 2010
GoldenSandsUtopia
I did not install that way(read post) but I think you have to update your recovery to 4ext after you install that app. And after that you can easily try my steps. It will work :)

Ok thanks for all your efforts.

It seems to m that you can install 4ext from "android market", load it then choose the first menu option "Online install..." and download the additional 4ext recovery file from there.

But I'm still having problems getting it to load at boot up

Update: No joy. I have Clockworkmod recovery on mine. Installed 4ext but overwrote boot stuff and would not load 4ex. So I need help how to replace Clockworkmod with 4ext or whatever I need to do (I have more expertise in WP7 than Android)

Last edited:

Sneakyghost

Jul 24, 2008
InMyHead
For the HD2 the 4EXT Recovery was originally ported by Dansta34 and i have also seen a variant on Coredroid which looks like it's the same. The Sensation 4EXT from Madmaxx will not work on the HD2.
The HD2 4EXT Recovery can be taken from either Dan's thread (TBD ROM) or from Coredroid, whereas i recommend taking it from Dan as he also took the workload of porting it to the HD2 as far as i know. So he should deserve the Download stats and the credits :D
I've also got it mirrored in my Signature. Feel free to take it from there. I've got both the CoreDroid and the TBD variant, yet the only difference i can see is the background image. Not sure though.

Once you downloaded that Recovery you can put your HD2 into USB Flasher Mode in Magloader and then flash the Recovery via the included DAF.exe, then proceed with the Steps the OP recommends. Notice: if you flash it for the sole purpose of unlocking your SD-Card, setting the partition sizes in flash.cfg is irrelevant. Just leave them as they are since the Recovery and the partitions will be deleted and set up different from the WP7 flash afterwards.

Since the Threadstarter has contacted me for a link to the files (?? Why is that) i'd like to point out that this Recovery is not a hidden gem but a normal Download for at least two Android ROM's and can be taken in exchange for a THANKS.
I recommened NYSEAN1 to reproduce and verify his findings, as i find it rather strange that noone else has noticed this "function" of the Recovery before. There is quite a large number of people who mess with both android and wp7 and noone has ever noticed that the HD2 can, by means of the 4EXT Recovery, unlock DRM encrypted SD-Cards? Very odd.
Well, if it does actually work, the better it is for us. So, we have to say THANKS to NYSEAN1 for finding out this wonderful trick that saves us from finding an old Nokia phone.

I'd still recommend to post this Info on the SD-Card unlocking threads as this seems the most independent and hassle-free solution to me. But please only after this procedure has been verified by more than just one person to be working as expected.

Last edited:

Whatdoyaknow

Jun 25, 2010
GoldenSandsUtopia
The HD2 4EXT Recovery can be taken from either Dan's thread (TBD ROM) or from Coredroid, whereas i recommend taking it from Dan as he also took the workload of porting it to the HD2 as far as i know. So he should deserve the Download stats and the credits.

Many thanks Sneakyghost, this will save others the problems that I have had.

Would you mind providing a link Dan's thread or advise as to which to download from your great site – it seems to have a few Xt4 files. Not being an expert, I’m not sure which to use.

Last edited:

NYSEAN1

Oct 9, 2010
For the HD2 the 4EXT Recovery was originally ported by Dansta34 and i have also seen a variant on Coredroid which looks like it's the same. The Sensation 4EXT from Madmaxx will not work on the HD2.
The HD2 4EXT Recovery can be taken from either Dan's thread (TBD ROM) or from Coredroid, whereas i recommend taking it from Dan as he also took the workload of porting it to the HD2 as far as i know. So he should deserve the Download stats and the credits :D
I've also got it mirrored in my Signature. Feel free to take it from there. I've got both the CoreDroid and the TBD variant, yet the only difference i can see is the background image. Not sure though.

Once you downloaded that Recovery you can put your HD2 into USB Flasher Mode in Magloader and then flash the Recovery via the included DAF.exe, then proceed with the Steps the OP recommends. Notice: if you flash it for the sole purpose of unlocking your SD-Card, setting the partition sizes in flash.cfg is irrelevant. Just leave them as they are since the Recovery and the partitions will be deleted and set up different from the WP7 flash afterwards.

Since the Threadstarter has contacted me for a link to the files (?? Why is that) i'd like to point out that this Recovery is not a hidden gem but a normal Download for at least two Android ROM's and can be taken in exchange for a THANKS.
I recommened NYSEAN1 to reproduce and verify his findings, as i find it rather strange that noone else has noticed this "function" of the Recovery before. There is quite a large number of people who mess with both android and wp7 and noone has ever noticed that the HD2 can, by means of the 4EXT Recovery, unlock DRM encrypted SD-Cards? Very odd.
Well, if it does actually work, the better it is for us. So, we have to say THANKS to NYSEAN1 for finding out this wonderful trick that saves us from finding an old Nokia phone.

I'd still recommend to post this Info on the SD-Card unlocking threads as this seems the most independent and hassle-free solution to me. But please only after this procedure has been verified by more than just one person to be working as expected.
Thanks Sneaky.....I was not sure where I found it and who created it. But I remember seeing your name around it....thanks again! I hope this really works for others.

NYSEAN1

Oct 9, 2010
Many thanks Sneakyghost, this will save others the problems that I have had.

Would you mind providing a link Dan's thread or advise as to which to download from your great site – it seems to have a few Xt4 files. Not being an expert, I’m not sure which to use.

I used TMobile version....but it doesn't matter anyway..nand partition or size does not really have anything to do with it...any size is fine...just pick any 4ext recovery and flash it through usb flasher...all we are looking for is the 4ext recovery menu to re-partition and format the card.
Please report back it worked for you...very eager to know :)

Last edited:

Whatdoyaknow

Jun 25, 2010
GoldenSandsUtopia
I used TMobile version....but it doesn't matter anyway..nand partition or size does not really have anything to do with it...any size is fine...just pick any 4ext recovery and flash it through usb flasher...all we are looking for is the 4ext recovery menu to re-partition and format the card.
Please report back it worked for you...very eager to know :)

Sorry, but it's not that simple. I have had to start all over and rebuild the O/S as loading the wrong 4ext on messed it up - would no boot past "go go go". Hence we need to know precisely which 4ext to load.

Whilst your instructions are great and will be/are a big help, we must calrify this to ensure the project is a success for others.

So one last vital piece of information needed, if you can help clarify.

Many thanks for your help

BTW. Are we talking about a completely bricked SD-Card or one that just need some fixing. i.e. has a small fat partition?

Last edited:

Sneakyghost

Jul 24, 2008
InMyHead
Sorry, but it's not that simple. I have had to start all over and rebuild the O/S as loading the wrong 4ext on messed it up - would no boot past "go go go". Hence we need to know precisely which 4ext to load.

Whilst your instructions are great and will be/are a big help, we must calrify this to ensure the project is a success for others.

So one last vital piece of information needed, if you can help clarify.

Many thanks for your help

BTW. Are we talking about a completely bricked SD-Card or one that just need some fixing. i.e. has a small fat partition?

If you flash any recovery your WP7 will be gone. No matter what partition size you set. Sorry. That's exactly why it doesn't matter which 4EXT you take.

Regarding your second question: I was suspecting that Nysean1 only fixed a card with a small FAT partition. But he recons that he also fixed the DRM encrypted card from e.g. a Yuki or xboxmod ROM.

Sent from my multi talented HD2 ;)

Whatdoyaknow

Jun 25, 2010
GoldenSandsUtopia
If you flash any recovery your WP7 will be gone. No matter what partition size you set. Sorry. That's exactly why it doesn't matter which 4EXT you take.

Regarding your second question: I was suspecting that Nysean1 only fixed a card with a small FAT partition. But he recons that he also fixed the DRM encrypted card from e.g. a Yuki or xboxmod ROM.

Yes I realize that things will be wiped. But I grabbed 4EXT from the Market which jammed at GoGoGo. So best we warn folk about that.

I downloaded and installed EXT4_CoreDroid_10_180_10 from your site thanks very much - seems all OK. Have Android NAND back running again

I have now tried it on a fully bricked SD Card, but no luck at all for me. Tried about 10 times will different options. So it seems it is not an unlock for a fully bricked card (unless I've done something wrong - you say any of the Ext4 from your site should work the same)

Tried it on a card with a small FAT partition, and that's worked, but I can do that using partition program on my PC, so no added value from my perspective

(unless Nysean1 can throw some more light on this)

Last edited:

NYSEAN1

Oct 9, 2010
Yes I realize that things will be wiped. But I grabbed 4EXT from the Market which jammed at GoGoGo. So best we warn folk about that.

I downloaded and installed EXT4_CoreDroid_10_180_10 from your site thanks very much - seems all OK. Have Android NAND back running again

I have now tried it on a fully bricked SD Card, but no luck at all for me. Tried about 10 times will different options. So it seems it is not an unlock for a fully bricked card (unless I've done something wrong - you say any of the Ext4 from your site should work the same)

Tried it on a card with a small FAT partition, and that's worked, but I can do that using partition program on my PC, so no added value from my perspective

(unless Nysean1 can throw some more light on this)

Sorry it did not work for you. I am not hundred percent sure what kinda lock my card had. I wanted to run WP7 and android...so I installed WP7....did not quite partition the card for android as per the instructions.....this is the second time I failed to do that....WP7 without the option of android sd is lame....anyways therefore I wanted my card back...could not format it in anyways...via my camera...was not even recognized by my computer and mini tool....send usb unlock code....all failed for me....this happened to my last card also...i was never able to revive it...and did not work out any method I could find in xda and outside....but this time and with this diff. card 4ext was able to partition and format it back to normal. I can't even find that one anymore to try my new finding as I am aslo skeptic to try and take another chance with my current card as I use it everday....that I know for sure had Yuki rom installed when it first came out ...I am still searching for that card...and if I do find it I will certainly give feed back.
However....those who have installed ext4 will certainly appreciate it...since it is (I think) the best recovery you can have for you android...only thing is that some roms don't support ext4...so be aware of that.

Last edited:

Whatdoyaknow

Jun 25, 2010
GoldenSandsUtopia
Thanks for your explanation NYSEAN1

Thus your title/heading is fully correct - to unlock from Yuki rom.
I guess I got excited thinking that meant unlock a "bricked" SD card, which has been bricked through an error installing a WP7 rom such as Yuki rom. The two issues are different. However, you have not claimed the later case, but the first, and that is fair enough.

I have always hoped that an Android system might resurrect a fully bricked card- I still hope, but not their yet.

Thanks again

Edit 1: BTW thanks for putting me on to ext4. I do like it!!!

Edit 2:
Seems like the only way for a bricked card is for a Nokia device (or similar), which I don't have. See
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1242071

Last edited:

Sneakyghost

Jul 24, 2008
InMyHead
Sorry it did not work for you. I am not hundred percent sure what kinda lock my card had. I wanted to run WP7 and android...so I installed WP7....did not quite partition the card for android as per the instructions.....this is the second time I failed to do that....WP7 without the option of android sd is lame....anyways therefore I wanted my card back...could not format it in anyways...via my camera...was not even recognized by my computer and mini tool....send usb unlock code....all failed for me....this happened to my last card also...i was never able to revive it...and did not work out any method I could find in xda and outside....but this time and with this diff. card 4ext was able to partition and format it back to normal. I can't even find that one anymore to try my new finding as I am aslo skeptic to try and take another chance with my current card as I use it everday....that I know for sure had Yuki rom installed when it first came out ...I am still searching for that card...and if I do find it I will certainly give feed back.
However....those who have installed ext4 will certainly appreciate it...since it is (I think) the best recovery you can have for you android...only thing is that some roms don't support ext4...so be aware of that.

If you couldn't reset the card by sending unlock cab, it simply means you did not suffer from the WP7 DRM encryption. That means your method is up until now nothing more than a faint hope. Someone has to really verify.

My theory:
It is from my perspective and experience much more likely that the file system, boot record or both had been damaged in a random way. since every partitioning tool pursues a different way of doing it's job, some might fail at your particular issue and some might get the job done. This time, it worked out for you with the 4EXT while all others failed.
Tools to try before giving up:
- windows format
- SD formatter from SD-association
- mini Tool
- EASEUS Partition Master
- Acronis
- 4EXT

To overcome the WP7 DRM encryption you would need a tool that forcefully ignores some SD-specific parameters and commands, which where originally invented to lock down these cards. As with all these systems, they only work if both content provider and content reader agree to stick you the specifications. If one doesn't, the encryption doesn't work. So far, only a certain edition of Nokias symbian does ignore the encryption command. BUT: I was hoping that also the 4EXT would maybe ignore it...

Sent from my multi talented HD2 ;)

Mr.Oug

Dec 5, 2011
Pune
Thanks a lot mt8 had a 8 gb card and when i installed android on nand the card was preety much dead 0 Kb space and formated using various formating tools but no luck and saw this thread and gave it a shot and i have my card with 8 gb in it. i am using cwm 3.0

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am a flash addict and I am sure most of you are. I can't stand a smooth running phone that works flawlessly. If it does, then I must do something to it to destroy it's stability. Well, it's not easy to brick HD2 unless you are a real dummy or like to live very dangerously lolll....even that can be fixed...but it was more difficult for me to find a way to unlock my SD card back to normal after WP7 installation. Some suggested in this forum that some of the cameras and nokia phones will do the trick...I was frustrated when I screwed up my 16GB sd card and could not find that camera or phone...as it won't make sense to buy them to restore a $15 card.....so I gave up on that card until today....I decided to play with WP mango again with the same sd card...resulted in locking it again...my challenge was to succeed unlocking it this time.....followed the same old procedures with no success...I tried and exhausted all options again!!! Then I decided to pop my sd card on my second hd2 which is running android with 4ext recovery installed and try to format it or something....and it worked!!!!! Just repartitioned the card and reformatted and it automatically unlocked it during the process....No step by step by step by step installation of software or reading pages or running codes.....nothing else was needed!
    Life is meant to be simple after all :)
    Anyone who is having the same issue with sd card after Windows Phone 7 or 7.5 installation just repartition and reformat your card via 4ext recovery and it will work...nothing else needed :} Good Luck!
    All credits to 4ext recovery developer....and the developer must be proud to find this info.

Here is Step by Step process-

If you are running Android NAND and have 4ext recovery installed....then
    1. Turn off your device
    2. Take out the SD card(if there is any in it) and insert the one you want to unlock/fix
    3. Turn on your device HOLD red power button until you get to aMAGLDR v1.13 menu
    4. Go to option 8. AD Recovery hit green button for it load
    5. Now you should have 4ext recovery(mine is version 2.2.7) menu
    6. Scroll down to Advanced
    7. Choose> Partition SD Card
    8. Choose whatever size you want to first one, second one to be and the rest goes to fat. If you want all in one partition, just choose '0' for the first two and '0' as swap.
    9. Follow on screen instruction you may see.....and it will delete all previous partition and create new one
    8. NOW go back to main 4ext recovery menu....and format you SD card...AND there it it! Your SD card it back to normal...enjoy :)
    NOTE: I use 4ext recovery that you flash via usb flasher thru magldr NOT the one from market. You can find the flashable one in here. I will try to find the link and post it. BUT it is not and will not be my work!

Here is a link I found....but this NOT what I used. I used this recovery that I found in one ROM link I have tried in the past which I can't think of but I have been using the same recovery since then because it is the BEST with the option of EXT4 file system....the one I have you can directly flash it like any other recovery you normally would to partition NAND to flash NAND Android roms. Nand partition size has nothing to do with sd recovery steps.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1297587

Since I did not use the above option....I won't be much of help. But from my understanding you can use this option to update your current recovery to 4ext recovery and then follow my steps. The app from the market would require to update your current recovery as well to be able to use my method to restore your SD card after WP7 installation Good Luck! Although it is a very simple process to undertake, I am not responsible if you damage your phone or the sd card even more!!!
    If someone who has the usb flashable version of 4ext recovery(for HD2) could attach it or provide link that would be great for everyone. Mine is installed in the phone and I don't seem to have that file....too many files I download everyday and must delete them all at some point :)

I will post detailed step by step soon
    SEE Post#1

which menu to use etc

Cotulla has indicated that the next version of MAGDLR for LEO will include the ability to unlock SD cards that have been locked by WP7.