HTC DROID DNA Dock / Car Dock

Search This thread

tehknics

Sep 17, 2010
Has there been any word about docks for this phone? With the charging port being on bottom of the phone as well as being covered I could see it being a bit more troublesome. Does anyone know if the charge port cover is fully removable or on a hinge?

I would love to see a quality car dock produced.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

treadwayj

Nov 7, 2009
Pike Road
Has there been any word about docks for this phone? With the charging port being on bottom of the phone as well as being covered I could see it being a bit more troublesome. Does anyone know if the charge port cover is fully removable or on a hinge?

I would love to see a quality car dock produced.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

i am sure it is removable, but it might not go back on :)

flaring afro

Jul 11, 2011
The official dock will undoubtably use wireless charging - which should make it easier to put on and off. The dock will probably be expensive though.

treadwayj

Nov 7, 2009
Pike Road
i just picked up a wireless charging pad today from one of my local vzw stores so i am excited that i dont have to deal with that cover over the microusb port anymore to charge it

geoff5093

Jun 13, 2011
I was wondering the same thing, I can't imagine how much a wireless charging car dock would go for, the regular ones from Verizon are expensive enough!

flaring afro

Jul 11, 2011
I was wondering the same thing, I can't imagine how much a wireless charging car dock would go for, the regular ones from Verizon are expensive enough!

I'm guessing it will be around $80 at verizon, if it is indeed wireless charging. At that point, I'd probably look into putting a Nexus 7 in my dash where the radio was.

RunNgun42

Jul 14, 2010
I'm guessing it will be around $80 at verizon, if it is indeed wireless charging. At that point, I'd probably look into putting a Nexus 7 in my dash where the radio was.

BPjP8.jpg

Exactly what I did. Aside from the wow factor, I simply got tired of having to delicately insert/remove my phone from the cradle worrying each time I was going to snap off the charger, scratch something, and just weaken its lifespan overall. I'm going to get the DNA however just so that I can finally slap a phone into the dock without even thinking about it. After I sell my car of course.

Last edited:

flaring afro

Jul 11, 2011
Exactly what I did. Aside from the wow factor, I simply got tired of having to delicately insert/remove my phone from the cradle worrying each time I was going to snap off the charger, scratch something, and just weaken its lifespan overall. I'm going to get the DNA however just so that I can finally slap a phone into the dock without even thinking about it. After I sell my car of course.

Looks good. I'll definitely be doing something like this in a year, which is why I wouldn't pay much for a phone dock. Hopefully the Nexus 7 (or a newer version) will have LTE by then. I'd pay $10 a month to have the car a mobile hotspot and it would be nice that it had its own internet.

MikaelPe

Jun 8, 2012
Stony Brook
Car Dock for DNA coming

We at IBOLT will announce the DNA car-dock in the next week. It will work with all cases (even Otterbox Defender type) and you can turn it horizontal or vertical position with a very little of the Dock visible. The microUSB charging plug will trigger the HTC default car-mode (great app!) or anyone can download their favorite after-market app, type CarHome Ultra. Will post images within one week and link to availability.

JTNiggle

Jun 6, 2010
Pac NW
We at IBOLT will announce the DNA car-dock in the next week. It will work with all cases (even Otterbox Defender type) and you can turn it horizontal or vertical position with a very little of the Dock visible. The microUSB charging plug will trigger the HTC default car-mode (great app!) or anyone can download their favorite after-market app, type CarHome Ultra. Will post images within one week and link to availability.

Will it have wireless charging built in? Cause it doesn't sound like it when you mention usb. That would be a major fail for this product, imo anyway.

Edit: okay, I just saw in the other thread you mentioned wireless charging being built in, great news, get that thing out asap and I'll order at least 2.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda premium

Last edited:

davpel

Had the iBolt for my GS3 and loved it, so I'm very excited by this news. My only hope is that it is set up so that the phone goes in with the volume rocker on top rather than in the dock. This was the only problem with the GS3 version.

geoff5093

Jun 13, 2011
That would be a major PITA if it's just USB, as we would have to uncover our USB port every time we wanted to use the dock.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Will it have wireless charging built in? Cause it doesn't sound like it when you mention usb. That would be a major fail for this product, imo anyway.

Edit: okay, I just saw in the other thread you mentioned wireless charging being built in, great news, get that thing out asap and I'll order at least 2.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda premium
    HTC DNA with Otterbox Defender

All, here's some new pictures showing the new iBOLT xProDock with the Otterbox Defender case, which should be about the thickest case available. It works really well and as you can see on the pictures the Dock can be used as horizontal or vertical position, whatever your preferences are. The power cords are not shown in the images. You can can also see that the camera is completely exposes so for those of you that like to use the xProDock as a "dash cam" there's no interference from the holder itself.
    That would be a major PITA if it's just USB, as we would have to uncover our USB port every time we wanted to use the dock.

I would just buy a generic dock if it didn't have wireless charging, not worth the extra money otherwise.

No, but you can have a cable that you just plug in instead. This is designed to be a semi-generic dock with wireless charging built in. If that doesn't work, it wont be any different than other generic docks

Agree

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda premium

Over here, http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=34620722&postcount=85
    he said that they were testing the dock with wireless charging this week, let hope it works out, but it will still likely be over a month before we see them in our cars.
    iBOLT DNA car-dock available for pre-order

The new HTC car-dock is now in production and here is a link to the page where it can be per-ordered. When the wireless charging dock comes we'll send a nice discount coupon to anyone that has purchased this one (although wireless charging is slow when using a case). After much internal discussions (and reading all comments in XDA and Android Central about car-docks) we decided to go with a microUSB steel enforced arm on the side instead of doing a vertical microUSB "slide on" solution. The reason is that we felt a strong customer demand to make this new Dock compatible with Otterbox Defender, Ballistic, Trident type cases, which is very challenging otherwise. the rest of the features are: (with comment)

1. Spring loaded latch. Users told us they don't want to insert the phone and have to "fold down" the latch. This makes is a smooth 1-step motion to insert the phone. The opening supports phones up to 92 mm (essentially a Note II with a thick case).

2. Expandable feet to fit phones up to 18 mm thick. Adding an Otterbox Defender to an HTC DNA makes it twice as thick!

3. 17 mm ball joint mount on the back of the Dock. Turn any direction with one hand. The Dock also works with any mounting solution compatible with Garmin, type a dashboard mount etc. For anyone preferring a ProClip vent mount or KUDA leather mount type solution you can just add an AMPS mounting adapter and they will play nicely together.

4. Automatically triggering car-mode. The microUSB arm starts the HTC driving app (see pictures) but on Google Play there's several good apps, including CarHome Ultra, that can be used as a replacement "default" car-home screen.

5. A 9ft (2.7meter) USB charging cord is also in the box. This makes it possible to place the Dock on the left side of the steering wheel, where it is out of the way and within easy reach. This position is also "legal" in California. The other end of the cable plugs in to the USB port on the car. If you don't have one in your car, plug into a 12 Volt car charger featuring a USB port (which most people probably already have?).

6. Open back so the Dock can function as a "dash cam" without any blockage. We're amazed how many people seems to use this feature.

7. Compact and pretty stylish size. Much smaller footprint then even a medium size HTC phone. Users like you guys have told us that when the phone is not in the Dock you don't want a big "blob" of plastic obstruction the view.

Well, that's it folks! Price is $44.95 but a $5 off coupon code is 5OFF2012 until end of December. Feel free to comment and we'll do our best to answer any questions or suggestions.
    Looks great! Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but how do you run power to it from the ac to micro usb car charger? Where is the plug in on the dock? I'm going to buy one :)

The 9 ft cord (or any microUSB car charger if your prefer a short cord) plugs directly into the back of the Dock. Working on a video that should be ready next week where you will be able to see exactly how this works but the concept is to plug it in once and be done with it. The steel enforced microUSB arm on the side "stays in place" and doesn't fall down so it's easy to insert. With the HTC DNA there's also a little cover plate "dangling" over the microUSB so this kind of solution will make it convenient to insert the charging.