Unable to transfer music to Nexus 5

Search This thread

coolshanth

Jan 18, 2014
So I've googled till my face went blue and for 2 days I have yet to find a free, reliable way to transfer music from my Macbook Air to my Nexus 5.

Google Music: Not supported in my location. I used a VPN to access the page, but even Standard Access asks for $0 purchase from a US credit card to activate the account (it greys out my foreign-issued VISA as "unsupported payment method", even though the card works for everything else on Play Store). If things get really desperate I guess I'll try using a virtual credit card (which requires a small payment), but I want to hold that off for now, since I'm worried Google might have other location-banning tricks up their sleeve, and registering with a fake shipping address might come back and bite me later.

DoubleTwist: Cable sync doesn't work, and I don't want to pay for a wireless solution which will be undoubtedly slow.

Winamp: This ugly piece of crap instantaneously crashes whenever I click the sync button.

AFT: Tired of looking for a sync solution, I gave up and figured I'd just drag and drop. Hits me with "Could not create folder try reconnecting or restarting your device.", which doesn't work either. I read online that changing USB connection mode to PTP instead of MTP solves the issue, but that didn't work either.

Right now, I'm considering FTP'ing into my phone.

I'd really appreciate alternate solutions or recommendations for free FTP apps, preferably with sync feature.

Thank you

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Macs are notoriously bad with mtp unfortunately.

Ftp cafe is a good free FTP client for android. Works like any pc client such as filezilla. Can't help with making your mac an ftp server though

Foldersync can also sync via ftp....

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit

Reactions: xBeerdroiDx

tangosierra_

Jul 1, 2012
Singapore
www.sgtrains.com
Can you transfer via ADB?

Actually if I was in your situation although its a bit crude I'd dump everything onto dropbox and download it onto my phone. My collection is in the range of ~200MB only though. Slow but it works...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

dcxgod

Nov 7, 2008
I have no problems pushing mp3 files from my Air to the N5.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

coolshanth

Jan 18, 2014
Can you transfer via ADB?

Actually if I was in your situation although its a bit crude I'd dump everything onto dropbox and download it onto my phone. My collection is in the range of ~200MB only though. Slow but it works...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I haven't tried ADB, I"ll give that a shot. My music collection is ~8GB, I tried using Google Drive but that was taking forever.

So Macbook Air has no USB ports? I hate Apple.

I'll presume you're kidding. Older androids with USB mass storage mode used to work straightforward, MTP is buggy on Mac and PTP only works for photos.

I tried, but there's a 5mb file limit.

Why not use something like an otg usb drive or card reader?

Unless you're trying to pull from iTunes. Does Media Monkey have a Mac version? I've found it to work well in the past (now I just manage all music manually).

Excreted from my Nexus 5
[Guide] Headphone/Earphone Buying

OTG sounds good but I see no need to buy an additional storage device when I have enough storage, I'll remember that for later should I run out. Nope, Media Monkey is Windows-only.

Wireless. I use Es File Explorer but there are many others.

Oh, I just downloaded it, didn't know about the WLAN feature, thanks

coolshanth

Jan 18, 2014
So finally what worked easiest for me was ES file explorer, with FileZilla client, 8 GB of songs moved in about 20 mins is great for me, considering the fact that it's wireless.

I guess I'll live without playlists and syncing, thanks for the help guys

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
So finally what worked easiest for me was ES file explorer, with FileZilla client, 8 GB of songs moved in about 20 mins is great for me, considering the fact that it's wireless.

I guess I'll live without playlists and syncing, thanks for the help guys

Glad it worked out and nice network speeds there. ES file explorer really is a must download for everyone rooted or not. :good:

I could imagine setting up a folder sync with it using Tasker however this I have not tried.

andretan

Jan 6, 2014
Singapore
I'm using iSyncr for Mac (paid app) for wireless syncing.

Another alternative I use is AirDroid, which also supports wireless syncing.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Macs are notoriously bad with mtp unfortunately.

Ftp cafe is a good free FTP client for android. Works like any pc client such as filezilla. Can't help with making your mac an ftp server though

Foldersync can also sync via ftp....

-----------------------
    Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit
    Wireless. I use Es File Explorer but there are many others.