Is there a ROOT/HOTSPOT mod for s5?

Search This thread

photonsnake

Jan 19, 2012
Thanks, but I already have the native app unlocked thanks to a custom rom. I must have been flagged due to torrents. I will try to use foxfi and its proxy along with a user agent switcher. Sprint does offer unlimited data, just not through tethering. Unless you pay an extra $20 a month, and I believe it has a cap. I may have to go that route if this happens again. I will try to keep usage under 15gig.

Last edited:

miked63017

Jan 30, 2011
St Louis
Thanks, but I already have the native app unlocked thanks to a custom rom. I must have been flagged due to torrents. I will try to use foxfi and its proxy along with a user agent switcher. Sprint does offer unlimited data, just not through tethering. Unless you pay an extra $20 a month, and I believe it has a cap. I may have to go that route if this happens again. I will try to keep usage under 15gig.

Sorry I mis-read, thought you were using WiFi tether router. What exactly did the text from Sprint say out of curiosity?

Also, what version of the hotspot mod is in use? If it is just changing the APN this could be why you got the notice, I long suspected the first hack would be noticeable by the carrier but the modified services.jar would be a lot harder to notice without snooping on all your traffic.

Last edited:

photonsnake

Jan 19, 2012
Hotspot Tether

The text said the following: SprintFreeMsg: Recently we noticed usage on your account that is not allowed by our terms and conditions. Please call 855-235-8851 for more details. Also got a letter saying the same thing. Anyway to modify the APN?

miked63017

Jan 30, 2011
St Louis
The text said the following: SprintFreeMsg: Recently we noticed usage on your account that is not allowed by our terms and conditions. Please call 855-235-8851 for more details. Also got a letter saying the same thing. Anyway to modify the APN?

If you used the first version of the hotspot mod it would have made changes to your APN, but it had to be reflashed every time a PRL update happenings. I suspect that they could have caught on to the way the first version worked, which version did you use?

I suspect that the first version may have made tethering traffic look different from their side because of the way it worked and the default iptables rules on your device. If you did not use the first version of the mod then it may be just because of the torrents you mentioned. When I was on Verizon torrents would start to download and then just stop, so I do think carriers can notice torrent traffic. That message wasn't very descriptive, so it very well could be sprints version of an MPAA warning, meaning you pulled something that was a trap. But also it could just be because it was torrent traffic in general.

You don't seem too concerned about having to switch carriers if necessary, maybe use the latest hotspot mod for your phone and skip the torrents for a while to see what happens.

Last edited:

photonsnake

Jan 19, 2012
I noticed that on my data usage on my phone, that tethering pops up, and shows tether data and my account shows data but only shows phone data not total. This even after proxy, is there anyway or a rom that can hide it? Thanks.

Peterson74

Dec 29, 2014
SM-G900P NK4 And. ver. 4.4.4

Im rooted with NK4 and tried this app out. It looks good. simple structure. But its not working on my rooted NK4 GS5 sprint.

When I go to check system settings its telling me sqlite is failing. Possibly because there isnt one installed as you mentioned above. I however did not see any mention of support for ANK4 with sqlite.

I am using a rooted version of ANK4 with busy box and twrp installed. Super user is also installed and has granted your app superuser permissions.

Last edited:

miked63017

Jan 30, 2011
St Louis
I noticed that on my data usage on my phone, that tethering pops up, and shows tether data and my account shows data but only shows phone data not total. This even after proxy, is there anyway or a rom that can hide it? Thanks.

Its a firewall rule that counts the tether data, try running this from a terminal emulator

su
iptables -Z

Then check usages again

Im rooted with NK4 and tried this app out. It looks good. simple structure. But its not working on my rooted NK4 GS5 sprint.

When I go to check system settings its telling me sqlite is failing. Possibly because there isnt one installed as you mentioned above. I however did not see any mention of support for ANK4 with sqlite.

I am using a rooted version of ANK4 with busy box and twrp installed. Super user is also installed and has granted your app superuser permissions.

There are some problems with nk4, I am working on them in the other thread.

Samsungmobile

Jan 4, 2008
I know this is old but I need help I have a sprint S5 and it's rooted but non of the wifi tether apps work or seem to work at all.

Jul 15, 2015
Wifi Tether Router 6.0.9 works but disconnects after a few minutes

These exact settings worked for me. I'm typing on my connection now. Thanks :good:

Hi Guys,
I have Sprint Samsung S5 on Android 5 Lollipop. With the settings that it has on FAQ for my phone, it works. The problem is, after a few minutes, 2-3, the Wifi connection to my laptop or Tablet drops. When I look at the phone, the app is still running and all looks good, Wifi connection appears to be active. However from laptop or tablet, it no longer sees any Wifi from Wifi Tether Router. I have to constantly "Disable" then again "Enable" Wifi Router every few minutes for this to work.

Doesn't matter if it's plugged in or not. I have read Faq and already tried all of his suggestions except for last one, which I don't know what he is referring to:

a. Wifi Settings -> Advanced -> Keep Wifi on during sleep (Always On)
b. Wifi Settings -> Advanced -> Smart network switch = OFF
c. More Networks – Mobile Networks -> Connection Optimizer = OFF
d. Power saving modes are all disabled.

Faq says “uncheck "Sleep Mode" – Exactly where is this set?

Here is settings, per his web site FAQ:
For Samsung Galaxy S5 and Android 5 / Lollipop
Interface wlan0
Method 3 - HostApd
Encryption wpa2-psk
Channel 1
Drivers nl80211
HostApd Patch <- CHECKED
No Firmware Reload <- UNCHECKED
WIFI Mode: WIFI - N
Prevents Stand-By <- CHECKED
Auto Disconnect WIFI When Star Tethering <- CHECKED
No Disable WIFI <- CHECKED

Thx,
Bob

barfoot1

Aug 1, 2009
Hi Guys,
I have Sprint Samsung S5 on Android 5 Lollipop. With the settings that it has on FAQ for my phone, it works.....

I am experiencing the exact same problem (Sprint, G5, Lollipop). I've used Titanium backup to uninstall connections optimizer and have all the same settings otherwise. I have tried working with Fabio, but he is still insisting connection optimizer is resetting the WIFI connection, which causes tethering to drop out.

I have used the android app "SysLog" to capture android logs to try and figure out what is going on, but have not found any other applications that could be interfering with the WIFI connection.

Is there someone that might be able to analyze my logs further and create a patch to try and remedy this problem? Please PM me.
Thanks!
-J

Jul 15, 2015
Any luck with Wifi Tether Router?

I am experiencing the exact same problem (Sprint, G5, Lollipop). I've used Titanium backup to uninstall connections optimizer and have all the same settings otherwise. I have tried working with Fabio, but he is still insisting connection optimizer is resetting the WIFI connection, which causes tethering to drop out.

I have used the android app "SysLog" to capture android logs to try and figure out what is going on, but have not found any other applications that could be interfering with the WIFI connection.

Is there someone that might be able to analyze my logs further and create a patch to try and remedy this problem? Please PM me.
Thanks!
-J

Hi Barfoot1,
Any luck finding culrpit? I also used Titanium backup to freeze Connections Optimizer and it did not solve issue. I also cannot use the ##3283# method to activate hotspot due to all methods to recover MSL that I have seen (like getprop ril.MSL) no longer work on S5 Lollipop.

If anyone also knows how to get MSL code for SM-G900P on Lollipop, please let me know. Yes, I've already tried calling/chatting with SPRINT, but they are on to this method and will not give out MSL anymore.

Thx,
B

superbluepsd

Apr 2, 2014
Sprint didnt have any problem giving me the MSL for my phone via chat today. I just told them I needed to disable band 26 because it was overrun. They happily gave me the MSL.

Hi Barfoot1,
Any luck finding culrpit? I also used Titanium backup to freeze Connections Optimizer and it did not solve issue. I also cannot use the ##3283# method to activate hotspot due to all methods to recover MSL that I have seen (like getprop ril.MSL) no longer work on S5 Lollipop.

If anyone also knows how to get MSL code for SM-G900P on Lollipop, please let me know. Yes, I've already tried calling/chatting with SPRINT, but they are on to this method and will not give out MSL anymore.

Thx,
B

joe.stay

Oct 26, 2011
I got my msl easily through chat. I just ask for it and they give it right away. So easy. Then I went to use it and couldn't change what I needed for hotspot. So I had to go into telephony.db to change it there. I'm on NK4 still.

jerry43812

Feb 27, 2010
www.market4android.com
Lets iron this issue out, guys. Did anyone ever figure out any way to keep the Wifi connection from dropping using Wifi Tether Router? I went back and forth with Fabio via several emails and the short story is he can't/won't help. I have my MSL, but I don't want to use the native hotspot for fear of getting attention drawn to me. I am happy with my unlimited data and wish to keep it.

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
Lets iron this issue out, guys. Did anyone ever figure out any way to keep the Wifi connection from dropping using Wifi Tether Router? I went back and forth with Fabio via several emails and the short story is he can't/won't help. I have my MSL, but I don't want to use the native hotspot for fear of getting attention drawn to me. I am happy with my unlimited data and wish to keep it.

What does "WiFi Tether Router" do that "hides" how you are using your data? From my experience, absolutely nothing. I highly recommend the Native Hotspot tether enabler app. I use it and have zero issues. IMHO, that app "WiFi Tether Router" is garbage.

jerry43812

Feb 27, 2010
www.market4android.com
What does "WiFi Tether Router" do that "hides" how you are using your data? From my experience, absolutely nothing. I highly recommend the Native Hotspot tether enabler app. I use it and have zero issues. IMHO, that app "WiFi Tether Router" is garbage.

and you're entitled to your opinion. I want the application I am using to work rather than mess with having to re-set the codes to make the native app work every time I do a PRL update. I use the PRL update to kick LTE back on when I know LTE is in my area but I am stuck on 3g...

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
and you're entitled to your opinion. I want the application I am using to work rather than mess with having to re-set the codes to make the native app work every time I do a PRL update. I use the PRL update to kick LTE back on when I know LTE is in my area but I am stuck on 3g...

What do you mean "reset the codes"? I can go in and do a PRL update via settings and immediately use my tethering without "resetting" any codes... The application you are using is no better then the native hotspot option.

Robalboa

Jun 27, 2011
myrtle beach
Hi Barfoot1,

Thx,
B
call sprint and tell them band 41 is disabled and you can see that from an app called lte discovery. ask them how to enable it.
they will send you to advanced support who will give you your msl to enable band 41. just go along with him and get the msl. (Dont ask for your msl he'll provide it band 41 is sprint spark you pay for it so they will turn it on and thats the only way)
next once you have the msl follow these steps: ( takes about 2 mins tops)
http://xdaforums.com/sprint-galaxy-s5/general/how-to-enable-native-hotspot-version-tw-t3196917
it doesnt work on airrave but works flawlessly besides that . works even if your not rooted

Last edited:

Sir Porthos

Dec 20, 2015
Wifi Tether Router Resolution?

Hi Guys,
I have Sprint Samsung S5 on Android 5 Lollipop. With the settings that it has on FAQ for my phone, it works. The problem is, after a few minutes, 2-3, the Wifi connection to my laptop or Tablet drops. When I look at the phone, the app is still running and all looks good, Wifi connection appears to be active. However from laptop or tablet, it no longer sees any Wifi from Wifi Tether Router. I have to constantly "Disable" then again "Enable" Wifi Router every few minutes for this to work.

Doesn't matter if it's plugged in or not. I have read Faq and already tried all of his suggestions except for last one, which I don't know what he is referring to:

a. Wifi Settings -> Advanced -> Keep Wifi on during sleep (Always On)
b. Wifi Settings -> Advanced -> Smart network switch = OFF
c. More Networks – Mobile Networks -> Connection Optimizer = OFF
d. Power saving modes are all disabled.

Faq says “uncheck "Sleep Mode" – Exactly where is this set?

Here is settings, per his web site FAQ:
For Samsung Galaxy S5 and Android 5 / Lollipop
Interface wlan0
Method 3 - HostApd
Encryption wpa2-psk
Channel 1
Drivers nl80211
HostApd Patch <- CHECKED
No Firmware Reload <- UNCHECKED
WIFI Mode: WIFI - N
Prevents Stand-By <- CHECKED
Auto Disconnect WIFI When Star Tethering <- CHECKED
No Disable WIFI <- CHECKED

Thx,
Bob

Hi Bob,

Did you ever get a resolution to the drops on the Wifi Tether Router. I just purchased a Samsung Galaxy S5 w/ 5.0 Lollipop and am having the same issue.

Thank you!

Brent

---------- Post added at 04:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 AM ----------

Thanks!
-J

Hello -J,

I am just trying to see if you resolved the Wifi Tether Router issue of being dropped after several minutes? You and a couple others described my problem exactly and I would love to resolve it without using a flashed mod of some kind.

Thank you!

Brent

Sir Porthos

Dec 20, 2015

Thanks!
-J

Hello -J,

I am just trying to see if you resolved the Wifi Tether Router issue of being dropped after several minutes? You and a couple others described my problem exactly and I would love to resolve it without using a flashed mod of some kind.

Thank you!

Brent

---------- Post added at 04:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 AM ----------

Jerry,
Did you by chance get the Wifi Tether Router issue of being dropped figured out? I'm also having the same issue on a newly purchased Samsung S5 w/ 5.0 Lollipop.
Thank you!
Brent

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    thanks, just rooted! WoOt!

do you think i could use a hotspot mod from a different phone? say the s4? just throwing ideas out

Not sure what OP means by "hotspot mod" but there is a hotspot app that folks (like me) have had good luck with - WiFi Tether Router by Fabio Grasso. It is a $2.5 paid app (worth it IMO, but YMMV), and seems to work well for most on the GS5.
    I tried the setting for fabio's from his website...
    not working,
    I sent him an email.
    Might you share potentially different settings?
    I have the Sprint variant, it is rooted.
    thanx

Wifi Tether Router worked for me with a sprint S5 with the following settings.

For Samsung Galaxy S5 using this config
    Interface wlan0
    Method 3 - HostApd
    Encryption wpa2-psk
    Channel 1
    Drivers nl80211
    "HostApd Patch" <- UNCHECKED
    "No Firmware Reload" <- UNCHECKED
    Cleaned up detailed wifi tether router instructions...

1st thanx to Fabio Grasso's app 'Wifi Tether Router', dart27, Vwracer69, booey24, powerlifter450, xSLAYERx, CaddyPaddy.

Wifi Tether Router worked for me with a sprint S5 with the following settings.

For Samsung Galaxy S5 using this config
    Interface wlan0
    Method 3 - HostApd
    Encryption wpa2-psk
    Channel 1
    Drivers nl80211
    "HostApd Patch" <- UNCHECKED
    "No Firmware Reload" <- UNCHECKED

For me,
    if a Wifi network is connected it wouldnt work.
    If LTE is the only data connection available it worked great.

Just my 2 cents.

It seems the key might be
    WIFI ON but NOT CONNECTED to a wifi network at start of wifi tether...
    Had my S4 rooted with hotspot mod and worked amazing! just got the new s5 and im looking to see if its rootable.... is it to soon? thanks for the help in advance.
    I hate to zombie this thread, but I've come up with a solution and I figured I'd share.

I've got Marshmallow, and so no visibility to a setting for Connection Optimizer. I thought that was long gone, but it turns out it lived on, in the ItsOn service.

ItsOn is part of Sprint's software package (a technology pulled from ItsOn corporation, which makes software to help manage wireless networks) and originally was billed as part of their drive to help personalize their PrePaid services. It lives in the application: NetworkSystemProvider which may show up twice in one's application list. You can see its availability by using the ##3282# dialer command (##DATA#), and going to "NetworkSystemProvider" and tapping on it, to reveal "ItsOn" and an On/Off radio button. If you have your MSL you can choose "off" in there. However, I didn't want to get my MSL, or call Sprint for it, so I found an easier way.

This thread: http://xdaforums.com/sprint-galaxy-s5/help/wifi-disable-hotspot-pop-t3100303/page2 - talked about deleting a bunch of files in /carrier/ and /system/ related to ItsOn. But I found an easier and less heavy solution.

In /carrier/ on the root of the phone, should be located a file titled "itson_enabled" -- on a whim, I renamed it to "itson_disabled", using a Root File Explorer. I then rebooted my phone.

After doing so, ItsOn in the ##DATA# screen showed "Off".

And to my delight, WiFi Tether Router remained stable!

This solution is easily reversible by renaming _disabled back to _enabled.

Hope this helps!