[Q] How do you upgrade to 4.4.2 VRUFNC5 without erasing Data or Unrooting?

Search This thread

JacobNWolf

Apr 4, 2014
New York
Hey everyone,

So I Saw Surge1223's post about upgrading to 4.4.2 (which I think is awesome as my brother has an non-rooted S4 with base KitKat) and retaining root; however, what I noticed about his method is, you have to erase your data when you're in Safestrap. So here's my current build, and I was planning on porting over to CyanogenMod, but to be honest, I enjoy the Samsung software as long as I have SuperUser and all the other root apps, which at the current moment I do.

Device Name: SCH-1545
Android Version: 4.3
Baseband Version: VRUEMK2
Rooted: Yes

I would use Surge's method but I'd like to keep my app data & contacts, etc. that I've had with this phone since I got it in November. Any ideas on where to go from this? Maybe an update .zip like we use to have and use on other devices through ClockWordMod?

decaturbob

Mar 30, 2011
Decatur
Unless you have a mdk phone...cm is out...Also you lose root when you go thru the process and must reroot...Also so because u r changing from one Andriod base to another...Really difficult to keep data...of course you can move pictures...video...Music to extsd card.

sent by safestrap enabled bajarom

JacobNWolf

Apr 4, 2014
New York
Unless you have a mdk phone...cm is out...Also you lose root when you go thru the process and must reroot...Also so because u r changing from one Andriod base to another...Really difficult to keep data...of course you can move pictures...video...Music to extsd card.

sent by safestrap enabled bajarom

That's dissapointing. To think, I use to have an LG Revo (probably amongst the worst of the Android phones) and we were able to easily upgrade version to version with CWM. Sad to see the dev for the S4 can't do the same :rolleyes:

decaturbob

Mar 30, 2011
Decatur
That's dissapointing. To think, I use to have an LG Revo (probably amongst the worst of the Android phones) and we were able to easily upgrade version to version with CWM. Sad to see the dev for the S4 can't do the same :rolleyes:

the level of security and money spent to lock down phones really didn't give xda devs much of a chance.....the security of cellphones is #1 priority of enterprise customers who are largest segment of the market vs the phone modders.

people can still buy dev phones

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
Hey everyone,

So I Saw Surge1223's post about upgrading to 4.4.2 (which I think is awesome as my brother has an non-rooted S4 with base KitKat) and retaining root; however, what I noticed about his method is, you have to erase your data when you're in Safestrap. So here's my current build, and I was planning on porting over to CyanogenMod, but to be honest, I enjoy the Samsung software as long as I have SuperUser and all the other root apps, which at the current moment I do.

Device Name: SCH-1545
Android Version: 4.3
Baseband Version: VRUEMK2
Rooted: Yes

I would use Surge's method but I'd like to keep my app data & contacts, etc. that I've had with this phone since I got it in November. Any ideas on where to go from this? Maybe an update .zip like we use to have and use on other devices through ClockWordMod?

Yes, see here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2749660