M8 vs S5: For those on the fence, why I chose the S5 after a week with both devices.

Search This thread

crazeco

Oct 8, 2011
I bought the Samsung GS5 and HTC One M8. I purchased both phones to use simultaneously for at least a week.

Camera image quality on good shots: GS5.

Outside M8:

Outside GS5:

Auto settings. I upscaled the M8 image to 16MP. I think IMGUR might automatically downscale. My overall impression is that the M8 takes in too much light. It’s difficult to avoid, even when playing with exposure settings. Once you zoom, the GS5 16MP really comes into play. You can be the judge on which images are better, and by how much.

Camera consistency: M8. 50% my shots with the S5 end up a bit blurry. 75% of my M8 shots are in focus. That’s with still imagery.
Which is more important? Overall quality on excellent shots, or consistency?

The camera software on the M8 is better. There's an option to go 100% manual mode that lets you adjust color, exposure, ISO, shutter, and focus on the FLY. There's nothing like that on the S5, here's a pic:

htc-one-m8-Screenshot-1.jpg

Handfeel:

The S5 is easier to hold, especially when laying down in bed. The S5 is lighter and weighted in a way that feels like my hand is simply connected to the device. It doesn’t put strain on my wrist or make me feel concerned about dropping it at all. My confidence level holding the device without a case is extremely high. On the other hand, the S5 has a filmy/slimy feeling that makes it feel dirty. It always feels like the back of the S5 was rubbed on a slice of pizza. I feel confident holding it, but I don’t enjoy it. It’s very uninspiring.

The M8 feels amazing in the hand. I consistently want to pick it up for no other reason than to hold it. It has a nice cool temperature that is very welcoming. I don’t think the M8 is more slippery than the S5. I think it’s how the device is weighted. It’s harder to hold because it feels screen side heavy. When I’m holding it in bed, I always feel like the device is going to slip out of my hand and fall on my face. Not because the case is more slippery, but because of the weight. I am constantly reinforcing my grip on the phone out of fear of dropping it. It’s a strange mix of wanting to pick it up, and being afraid to pick it up.

I did use a GS4 and a Galaxy Nexus prior to these devices. I wonder how much of this is because I simply feel comfortable with a Samsung device? From a practical standpoint I feel the S5 is the better phone here. From an emotional standpoint I like how the HTC makes me feel.

Display:

I compared the displays VERY closely. The S5 wins on ALL fronts except one: Autobrightness. I had them side by side, the S5 shows much truer whites than the M8. The M8 at max brightness looks almost yellow. The S5 looks pure white. The screen is BIGGER on the S5 and isn't crowded with software buttons. I am simply not a fan of software buttons. I like tactile feel. The screen on the S5 can get VERY VERY dark, the M8 can't. The S5 AB is wonky, always a bit too dark. The M8 is always just a few steps brighter. This is always a plus except for at night.

Touchwiz vs Sense: No preference.

How long will I keep the device:

I feel that the M8 will be gone in a year, because the M9 will have a better camera that make it a worthwhile upgrade. I can see myself holding onto the S5 for two years, it really is maxed out with specs and just works. On the other hand, the uninspiring nature of the S5 will probably make me want to ditch it in 2015.

Basic inputs:

It actually takes longer to use the M8 for basic inputs, turning the device on, and turning it off. The Samsung turns on a bit faster with just pushing the home button. Fingerprint scanner unlocks more quickly. Side power button is far superior.

Double tap on the M8 is NOT perfect. Neither is holding the device in landscape and hitting the volume key to activate the camera (doesn't work on the first try about 30%). Double tap takes you to the first lock screen. Then you have to slide the icon of what you want to use and input your pin. This can be mitigated by utilizing swipes instead of double tap. It's still not faster.

Buttons:

I often found myself constantly hunting for the onscreen buttons on the M8. The empty HTC bezel throws you off. It's very hard to have muscle memory when you have a big empty row where you think the buttons are. It also takes a moment for the buttons to simply appear. S5 doesn't have this issue due to the hardware home button.

Am I the only one that thinks it makes sense to have the back button on the right side like Samsung does it? I use the back button with my thumb 95% more than the current apps button. I don’t enjoy reaching across the screen on the M8.

Screen Off:

However often we turn the screen on, a lot of us are also turning it off. It takes longer to turn the screen off on the M8 than it does the S5. Every time I turned the M8 off with one hand it required maneuvering the device in a way that made me fear dropping it because the power button is on top and the device is long. I generally used my other hand to hit the power button just for that reason. That's not necessary on the S5.

Screen on with Music:

I LOVE the M8 speakers. I love playing music on this device around the house, while I'm in the shower, etc. If I am playing music on the M8 and have the device on the counter, and I want to change a song, it's not designed to register a doubletap when laying flat. With the S5, I hit the home button and it brings the screen up. It takes significantly longer to either find a way to hit the top power button or repeatedly tap the screen until it registers on the M8.

Speed and Lag:

In day to day use, after disabling bloat on the S5, the devices are equally as snappy. In fact, the S5 is more accessible for the reasons mentioned above. That's all that matters, because all of us here are capable of tinkering and optimizing.

Disable S-Voice, My Magazine, transitions, and go into developer mode and reduce animations to .5x, and trash/disable all the bloat in apps. The S5 has no lag at all once you do that. I know it's a PITA, and you shouldn't have to do that from factory, but just do it. You're on XDA, it's easy for you.

Everyone wants to talk about microseconds worth of lag, what about basic functions, like turning the screen off. The S5 is faster from a basic INPUT perspective. I think that matters a lot. It's little things like that, things I do often, which should be taken into consideration when you talk about how long you have to wait for things between devices. If we are going to argue about tenths of a second, these things matter.

Development:

Compare the # of posts in the M8 forum vs. S5 forum. Twice as many here. There will be more development and a bigger community on this device. I personally don't care about this at all. :)

Features:

With the S5, I won't ever use the fitness stuff on the device. I won't ever buy a gear fit watch (that's technically a feature). The main feature is the fingerprint scanner. Train it with one hand and your thumb to the side. Do three prints of just your thumb. It's then easy to unlock with one hand 90% of the time on the first swipe. It's very fast.

The M8 has much, much better speakers. If you use your device as a music player on a desk, around the house, in the bathroom, this matters. You can also activate the camera by tilting the device and hitting the volume button, this is a nice feature on the M8.

S5 water resistance is nice to me because I have a daughter, I live in Oregon (it rains), and I use my device in the bathroom (I know, gross).

Ergonomics:

I'm going to differentiate this from "AESTHETICS" for my opinion here. The S5 is easier to hold and issue inputs into for almost all purposes. It's lighter and requires far less movement with your hand. It has a "thumb mode" available through software which can shrink the screen size down.

The M8 is too long and doesn't have a power button available to easily press. It's much easier to keep a firm grip on the S5 than the M8. I was constantly in fear of dropping the M8.

From an aesthetics perspective, the M8 wins. It looks much, much nicer and just screams to be held. From a practical perspective, the S5 has better ergonomics.

My Recommendation:

If you care about features and functionality and ergonomics, take the S5. If you care about how a phone looks and makes you feel when holding it and having a mini-boombox, take the M8. If the camera is your only consideration, take the S5.

Last edited:

msavic6

Jun 28, 2010
Vancouver
Thanks for the detailed comparison between the two!

A couple things I have seen mentioned regarding the S5 are horrible speaker loudness and quality as well as crap cell reception.

Can you comment on the above issues?

Also how was battery life between the two devices?
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

crazeco

Oct 8, 2011

A couple things I have seen mentioned regarding the S5 are horrible speaker loudness and quality as well as crap cell reception.

Speaker: The S5 has a horrible speaker. It's true. I hate listening to it. It actually makes me NOT want to watch videos on it without headphones.

Cell Reception: I haven't tested call quality, I've heard it's worse on the S5 and tend to believe that based on my GS4. I'm on a T-Mobile $30/mo plan with 100min of talk time. That tells you how often I use a cellphone for talking. :)

Battery: About the same. Both keep the same charge overnight. I'd tend to be up about 10% with the S5 vs. M8 at the end of the day. I would not base a purchase decision on this factor. If you need a removable battery you've already ruled the M8 out.

Reactions: msavic6

lordpelvis

Nov 12, 2011
In the development section you didn't mention much. Of course there's tumbleweeds in the S5 section and a lot in the M8 section. I can say that after converting from Sense to Google Play that its not only faster on my M8, but battery life is better. Not to mention 0 bloat. S5 is a great phone for people who are OK with stock. I chose the M8 for flexibility and being able to do with it as I choose. Great review though.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: naouris

crazeco

Oct 8, 2011
In the development section you didn't mention much. Of course there's tumbleweeds in the S5 section and a lot in the M8 section. I can say that after converting from Sense to Google Play that its not only faster on my M8, but battery life is better. Not to mention 0 bloat. S5 is a great phone for people who are OK with stock. I chose the M8 for flexibility and being able to do with it as I choose. Great review though.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using xda app-developers app

I prefer stock so I can keep the best camera software. That applies to both devices.

I suspect development will be equally strong on both.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

G

GuestK00431

You lost me reading when you said the S5 has less lag and better input than the M8 once you did all those things. M8 is smooth with doing no tweaks and the input is way better than the S5 's touch screen.

Been tempted to switch to the S5 for water proofing and battery door access but I'm finding it hard to part with my M8, its pretty much the perfect smartphone if you can see past the back camera. Its not a rubbish camera by any means but they can do better.

crazeco

Oct 8, 2011
You lost me reading when you said the S5 has less lag and better input than the M8 once you did all those things. M8 is smooth with doing no tweaks and the input is way better than the S5 's touch screen.

As far as input is concerned, I'm really talking about the overall speed and ease of doing two things: Turning the device on and off and accessing basic navigation buttons. Lag is mitigated on the S5 when you disable animations and bloat (I acknowledge you should not have to do this, and I chastise Samsung for it).

There are essentially three ways to turn the M8 on:

1) Double tap if you are holding the phone;
2) Swipe the screen if you are holding the phone;
3) Power button at the top.

#1 drives you to a widget lockscreen. You choose the widget you want and then have to input your pin, unless it's the camera.
#2 will generally drive you to the pin screen, depending on which way you swipe. I used this the most often.
#3 was ergonomically very difficult to access due to both the location of the button at the top of the device and the amount it's recessed. I avoided at all costs to prevent dropping the device.

There are two ways to turn the S5 on:

1) Power button at your thumb (if right handed);
2) Home button at your thumb (if right or left handed).

Either option is extremely efficient because both buttons are located in the perfect position. I personally use #2 because I can immediately swipe with my thumb on the fingerprint scanner at the same time. After spending a week with each phone, unlocking the S5 is consistently faster than unlocking the M8. I only have to access ONE lockscreen on the S5. Everyone likes to talk about how "fast" the M8 is compared to the S5. I think you are going to notice speed on basic entry into the device far more than you notice how many nanoseconds more quickly you load Angry Birds.

There are two ways to turn both the M8 and S5 off:

1) Hit the power button;
2) Wait for the screen to turn off.

This is very important to me, because I turn my screen off EVERY SINGLE TIME I use my device. It has become a major annoyance having to use two hands to turn the device off, because I'm paranoid about dropping it when trying to one-hand push the power button.

It is VERY difficult to press the power button on the M8 with one hand. Waiting for the screen to turn off is not an acceptable option. It is very EASY to turn the screen off on the S5 with my thumb. I don't need to move the device at all.

HTC needs to implement some additional method for turning the device off. Really, just moving the power button would fix this.

Navigation buttons:

The S5 has a built in home button that is always there. There are two capacitive buttons that are always there. This has the advantage of allowing both tactile feedback and muscle memory to prevail. I don't have to look at the device to know where the buttons are.

First, the M8 has a empty row with a logo. I don't care about how this makes the device look, I do care about how it affects my ability to issue inputs into the device. I was consistently pushing on that bezel and not the screen. Second, a number of programs I use HIDE the primary buttons. You have to tap the screen in a specific way to make those buttons re-appear. There's lag time between making the buttons appear and being able to push one. The S5 does not suffer from either one of these issues, and these both affect overall performance and speed just as much as perceived "lag" from Touchwiz.

Finally, my last gripe on inputs is the location of the back button. Samsung has it right. Making me reach across the screen to hit the back button, when I use it 95% more than the recent apps button, is not acceptable.

Last edited:

crazeco

Oct 8, 2011
The first two ways you list to turn on the M8 will seriously drain your battery as it means the touch screen is always on.

To the M8's credit, HTC gets around this by only activating that option when you are holding the device. This is why double tap doesn't work when the device is playing music and laying flat on the desk. I did not notice significant battery drain compared to the S5 with these features enabled.

msavic6

Jun 28, 2010
Vancouver
Speaker: The S5 has a horrible speaker. It's true. I hate listening to it. It actually makes me NOT want to watch videos on it without headphones.

Cell Reception: I haven't tested call quality, I've heard it's worse on the S5 and tend to believe that based on my GS4. I'm on a T-Mobile $30/mo plan with 100min of talk time. That tells you how often I use a cellphone for talking. :)

Battery: About the same. Both keep the same charge overnight. I'd tend to be up about 10% with the S5 vs. M8 at the end of the day. I would not base a purchase decision on this factor. If you need a removable battery you've already ruled the M8 out.

Damn that sucks, have you owned the S4, is the S5's speaker worse than that on the S4? This is a big concern for me as I need to be able to hear my phone ring during the day but I also like to listen to music with the phone speaker itself. Although I value a good camera more than the speaker, both are still quite important to me.

Regarding cell reception, did you notice the phone losing LTE where other phones were able to maintain LTE signal, this seems to be a common complaint from people. I don't talk too much on the phone but I use data quite a bit.

Thanks!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

BlueGoldAce

Jun 7, 2010
Damn that sucks, have you owned the S4, is the S5's speaker worse than that on the S4? This is a big concern for me as I need to be able to hear my phone ring during the day but I also like to listen to music with the phone speaker itself. Although I value a good camera more than the speaker, both are still quite important to me.

Regarding cell reception, did you notice the phone losing LTE where other phones were able to maintain LTE signal, this seems to be a common complaint from people. I don't talk too much on the phone but I use data quite a bit.

Thanks!

My s5 holds lte and signal in general better than my nexus 5 and my iphone 5s.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Reactions: simacca and msavic6

dk_iceman

Jan 24, 2009
Denmark - Sundby Mors

The s5 speaker clearly is not as god as m8, but not that bad, for watching youtube, netflix i find it loud and clear.. Yea not the Best but better than my note 3, lg g2 or my friends s4..

Call quality on s5 is clearly better than both m8 units i had.. Loud and clear, no creakling Sounds or hissing linke the m8..

Signal strengt I find pretty good on s5 i actually have lte and 3G signal where my girlfriends iphone 5 and friends Sony z1 signal are wors often only on edge. normally in my house we have poor 3G signal.. S5 is pretty good...

Wifi signal strengt is also better than previous Samsung models i've ovned..

I returned my frist m8 because of screen problems.. And sold the second m8 Unit a week after because it was unpleasent to hold in my hand.. And the display just seems Way to yellow toned even checked other units..

So wierd enough the model In the start hated the most is the one I stuck with and preffered over the m8 today

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: msavic6

crazeco

Oct 8, 2011

Thanks!

It's equivalent to the S4. It's usable, without question, but it's not a pleasant experience. I still use it when I take a shower, I still use it when I give my child a bath, etc. You'll hear it, it just doesn't have great fidelity compared to the M8.

The camera on the S5 is to the camera on the M8 like the speakers on the M8 are to the speaker on the S5.

I have no issues with cell/LTE reception.

anderszz

May 22, 2009
Thank you for the comparison/review of the phones - I really appreciate it!

I am right now on an older version of the iPhone and due for an upgrade and have long been thinking of the S5 but I wonder if you can comment on the sound quality and volume through the headphone jack?

I have used a galaxy Note phone before (2 months) and besides being too big for me I found both the in call volume as well as music volume via headphones to be too low compared to the iPhone. Do you have the same experience?

simacca

Apr 27, 2006
Kent, uk
This is my first Lte phone and I get I get a 4g signal indoors so am impressed with signal strength on this handset.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

G

GuestK00431

How's the signal strengh compared to the M8? Its really good on my M8 and generally does better than my 5S.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I bought the Samsung GS5 and HTC One M8. I purchased both phones to use simultaneously for at least a week.

Camera image quality on good shots: GS5.

Outside M8:

Outside GS5:

Auto settings. I upscaled the M8 image to 16MP. I think IMGUR might automatically downscale. My overall impression is that the M8 takes in too much light. It’s difficult to avoid, even when playing with exposure settings. Once you zoom, the GS5 16MP really comes into play. You can be the judge on which images are better, and by how much.

Camera consistency: M8. 50% my shots with the S5 end up a bit blurry. 75% of my M8 shots are in focus. That’s with still imagery.
    Which is more important? Overall quality on excellent shots, or consistency?

The camera software on the M8 is better. There's an option to go 100% manual mode that lets you adjust color, exposure, ISO, shutter, and focus on the FLY. There's nothing like that on the S5, here's a pic:

htc-one-m8-Screenshot-1.jpg

Handfeel:

The S5 is easier to hold, especially when laying down in bed. The S5 is lighter and weighted in a way that feels like my hand is simply connected to the device. It doesn’t put strain on my wrist or make me feel concerned about dropping it at all. My confidence level holding the device without a case is extremely high. On the other hand, the S5 has a filmy/slimy feeling that makes it feel dirty. It always feels like the back of the S5 was rubbed on a slice of pizza. I feel confident holding it, but I don’t enjoy it. It’s very uninspiring.

The M8 feels amazing in the hand. I consistently want to pick it up for no other reason than to hold it. It has a nice cool temperature that is very welcoming. I don’t think the M8 is more slippery than the S5. I think it’s how the device is weighted. It’s harder to hold because it feels screen side heavy. When I’m holding it in bed, I always feel like the device is going to slip out of my hand and fall on my face. Not because the case is more slippery, but because of the weight. I am constantly reinforcing my grip on the phone out of fear of dropping it. It’s a strange mix of wanting to pick it up, and being afraid to pick it up.

I did use a GS4 and a Galaxy Nexus prior to these devices. I wonder how much of this is because I simply feel comfortable with a Samsung device? From a practical standpoint I feel the S5 is the better phone here. From an emotional standpoint I like how the HTC makes me feel.

Display:

I compared the displays VERY closely. The S5 wins on ALL fronts except one: Autobrightness. I had them side by side, the S5 shows much truer whites than the M8. The M8 at max brightness looks almost yellow. The S5 looks pure white. The screen is BIGGER on the S5 and isn't crowded with software buttons. I am simply not a fan of software buttons. I like tactile feel. The screen on the S5 can get VERY VERY dark, the M8 can't. The S5 AB is wonky, always a bit too dark. The M8 is always just a few steps brighter. This is always a plus except for at night.

Touchwiz vs Sense: No preference.

How long will I keep the device:

I feel that the M8 will be gone in a year, because the M9 will have a better camera that make it a worthwhile upgrade. I can see myself holding onto the S5 for two years, it really is maxed out with specs and just works. On the other hand, the uninspiring nature of the S5 will probably make me want to ditch it in 2015.

Basic inputs:

It actually takes longer to use the M8 for basic inputs, turning the device on, and turning it off. The Samsung turns on a bit faster with just pushing the home button. Fingerprint scanner unlocks more quickly. Side power button is far superior.

Double tap on the M8 is NOT perfect. Neither is holding the device in landscape and hitting the volume key to activate the camera (doesn't work on the first try about 30%). Double tap takes you to the first lock screen. Then you have to slide the icon of what you want to use and input your pin. This can be mitigated by utilizing swipes instead of double tap. It's still not faster.

Buttons:

I often found myself constantly hunting for the onscreen buttons on the M8. The empty HTC bezel throws you off. It's very hard to have muscle memory when you have a big empty row where you think the buttons are. It also takes a moment for the buttons to simply appear. S5 doesn't have this issue due to the hardware home button.

Am I the only one that thinks it makes sense to have the back button on the right side like Samsung does it? I use the back button with my thumb 95% more than the current apps button. I don’t enjoy reaching across the screen on the M8.

Screen Off:

However often we turn the screen on, a lot of us are also turning it off. It takes longer to turn the screen off on the M8 than it does the S5. Every time I turned the M8 off with one hand it required maneuvering the device in a way that made me fear dropping it because the power button is on top and the device is long. I generally used my other hand to hit the power button just for that reason. That's not necessary on the S5.

Screen on with Music:

I LOVE the M8 speakers. I love playing music on this device around the house, while I'm in the shower, etc. If I am playing music on the M8 and have the device on the counter, and I want to change a song, it's not designed to register a doubletap when laying flat. With the S5, I hit the home button and it brings the screen up. It takes significantly longer to either find a way to hit the top power button or repeatedly tap the screen until it registers on the M8.

Speed and Lag:

In day to day use, after disabling bloat on the S5, the devices are equally as snappy. In fact, the S5 is more accessible for the reasons mentioned above. That's all that matters, because all of us here are capable of tinkering and optimizing.

Disable S-Voice, My Magazine, transitions, and go into developer mode and reduce animations to .5x, and trash/disable all the bloat in apps. The S5 has no lag at all once you do that. I know it's a PITA, and you shouldn't have to do that from factory, but just do it. You're on XDA, it's easy for you.

Everyone wants to talk about microseconds worth of lag, what about basic functions, like turning the screen off. The S5 is faster from a basic INPUT perspective. I think that matters a lot. It's little things like that, things I do often, which should be taken into consideration when you talk about how long you have to wait for things between devices. If we are going to argue about tenths of a second, these things matter.

Development:

Compare the # of posts in the M8 forum vs. S5 forum. Twice as many here. There will be more development and a bigger community on this device. I personally don't care about this at all. :)

Features:

With the S5, I won't ever use the fitness stuff on the device. I won't ever buy a gear fit watch (that's technically a feature). The main feature is the fingerprint scanner. Train it with one hand and your thumb to the side. Do three prints of just your thumb. It's then easy to unlock with one hand 90% of the time on the first swipe. It's very fast.

The M8 has much, much better speakers. If you use your device as a music player on a desk, around the house, in the bathroom, this matters. You can also activate the camera by tilting the device and hitting the volume button, this is a nice feature on the M8.

S5 water resistance is nice to me because I have a daughter, I live in Oregon (it rains), and I use my device in the bathroom (I know, gross).

Ergonomics:

I'm going to differentiate this from "AESTHETICS" for my opinion here. The S5 is easier to hold and issue inputs into for almost all purposes. It's lighter and requires far less movement with your hand. It has a "thumb mode" available through software which can shrink the screen size down.

The M8 is too long and doesn't have a power button available to easily press. It's much easier to keep a firm grip on the S5 than the M8. I was constantly in fear of dropping the M8.

From an aesthetics perspective, the M8 wins. It looks much, much nicer and just screams to be held. From a practical perspective, the S5 has better ergonomics.

My Recommendation:

If you care about features and functionality and ergonomics, take the S5. If you care about how a phone looks and makes you feel when holding it and having a mini-boombox, take the M8. If the camera is your only consideration, take the S5.

Thanks!

My s5 holds lte and signal in general better than my nexus 5 and my iphone 5s.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    Didn't u read the topic?
    He has just given his opinion on what made him chose S5 over M8.. And i feel it's useful cos many people including me are curious to know the advantages each phone has over the other!

Please reread his post. He is saying if you posted a similar topic in the M8 forums saying why you choose the M8 it would get closed.

Thanks!

It's equivalent to the S4. It's usable, without question, but it's not a pleasant experience. I still use it when I take a shower, I still use it when I give my child a bath, etc. You'll hear it, it just doesn't have great fidelity compared to the M8.

The camera on the S5 is to the camera on the M8 like the speakers on the M8 are to the speaker on the S5.

I have no issues with cell/LTE reception.