T-Mobile new plan. No more unlimited data on mobile

Search This thread

louforgiveno

Jun 24, 2010
I see you catch on pretty quick!!

Yeah I'm good at interpreting back assward posts

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:57 PM ----------

Also I'll refer you to the OP and the posts following. ...the debate was formed around the idea that we current $70 unlimited peeps would be bumped down to limited data Unless we paid the extra $10 .....so your post was nothing more than added confusion.

Towle

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 26, 2010
The Wild
I'm not sure why everyone is still arguing. There is a picture a few posts back that explains everything. The new $70 tier will include 5gb of data and 5gb of tethering. If you're on the current unlimited $70 tier, you will be grandfathered, unless you decide to switch.

louforgiveno

Jun 24, 2010
I'm not sure why everyone is still arguing. There is a picture a few posts back that explains everything. The new $70 tier will include 5gb of data and 5gb of tethering. If you're on the current unlimited $70 tier, you will be grandfathered, unless you decide to switch.

If you retain your current, your unlimited on mobile will cut to 5gb and they will bump your 2.5 to 5gb.

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

No where have I read where existing unlimited users are grandfathered in ($20 add in per month)

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda app-developers app

Yes with one big exception, the $70 dollar plan is now just 5GB vs. unlimited.

This quote is from T-Mobile's chief marketing officer:

...."Data usage is going through the roof because.......

This thread has been filled with confusion since post #1........I think it's pretty clear to most but not all. People have been the targets of cell providers before and I understand the Stockholm syndrome associated with it....they expect and prepare to accept the wrath.
Btw if at&t had been allowed to purchase t-mo years back we'd all still be f*#@$d, so keep in mind the more mergers the smaller the playing field the higher the prices

chipworkz

Dec 28, 2011
That is why I posted it, I thought it would make it pretty clear for anyone that hadn't seen it. The only thing it doesn't show is the grandfathered part for people who are currently on the Unlimited plan.

But something that is a bit confusing is I just looked at their website and it contradicts the diagram of the price plans. If the statement seen on their website is true, us grandfathered plans are going to get 5GB of tethering also but still pay the same price, Any NEW people signing up after the 23rd would have to pay $10 more to get the same thing.

Take a look at the 2X statement. It specifically states that the tethering will go from 2.5 to 5 GB on the 23rd. It does not say that this Unlimited plan will drop to a 5 GB plan at the same time however.

If you want to read the press release, here is the link. It specifically states "Customers currently with unlimited 4G LTE data will continue to get unlimited 4G LTE data with no change in price, or they can opt for the new unlimited 4G LTE option with twice the tethering."
http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=251624&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1907334&highlight=

So the 2X statement seen below and the last part or the quote above seem to contradict each other. The 2X statement says sign up today and you will get 5GB of tethering as of the 23rd. The quote from the press release says we can opt in to the new higher price plan to get 5GB of tethering. So which is it?
Unlimited%20Plan.JPG

Last edited:

louforgiveno

Jun 24, 2010
If the statement seen on their website was true, us grandfathered plans are going to get 5GB of tethering also but still pay the same price, Any NEW people signing up after the 23rd would have to pay $10 more to get the same thing.

Sounds like they're boosting their quarterly sales figure.....If that is correct what it's saying I might have a bunch of referral rewards heading my way !

And then add the whole etf pay-off program....they can watch sales climb as others retention falls.......impressive on paper for sure

Last edited:

brsingr

May 12, 2011
Alta Loma
my dad is thinking of switching us over from Verizon when our contracts end later this month....these changes just enforce that going to t-mobile would be good for us.....and we are rarely, if ever, out side of their coverage map...and hen we are, we are on vacation lol

jdidtht

Sep 23, 2012
minneapolis
42762_jpg__534%C3%97367_.png

Not sure why people are so confused about this when it is shown pretty clearly. Our existing Unlimited plan will no longer be available. After the start date, you will need to pay $10 more than the current plan if you want Unlimited data. We are grandfather in to the existing plan as long as we don't choose to switch to the new plan.

Because people here love to over complicate everything even when it's the most simple cut in dry kinda thing. And as for 10 extra dollars a month big deal ya know. I just won't buy a pack a gum once a week.

porkandbeans

Feb 21, 2011
T-Mobile Is Not Ending Unlimited Data

The title of this discussion is not labeled correctly. T-Mobile is not ending unlimited data. Their plans just offer more data to those not already unlimited, at no extra cost. And for those who are unlimited, they are increasing your tethering from 2.5gb per month, to 5gb per month, at no additional charge. This is pretty sweet and is a great deal. Yet so many people aren't reading things correctly. T-mobile rocks!

Last edited:
Reactions: louforgiveno

Limeybastard

The title of this discussion is not labeled correctly. T-Mobile is not ending unlimited data. Their plans just offer more data to those not already unlimited, at no extra cost. And for those who are unlimited, they are increasing your tethering from 2.5gb per month, to 5gb per month, at no additional charge. This is pretty sweet and is a great deal. Yet so many people aren't reading things correctly. T-mobile rocks!

So where does the 10 dollars extra come in? For new clients?

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007

That's exactly what I gathered.
ytyqe4e4.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 03:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 AM ----------

Here are the other 2 plans
qydyju7e.jpg

eguvyzy4.jpg

ihidbehindmusic

Mar 19, 2010
Undisclosed
The new unlimited plan will be $80 it will discontinue the $70 unlimited plan, but will give you an additional 2.5gb of tethering.

Customers with the existing $70 plan will be able to keep their plan with no penalty (grandfathered).

Limeybastard

The new unlimited plan will be $80 it will discontinue the $70 unlimited plan, but will give you an additional 2.5gb of tethering.

Customers with the existing $70 plan will be able to keep their plan with no penalty (grandfathered).

My plan when I joined on 1/22/14 was 80 already. plus three lines.

kindrich

Hi all, I work for T-Mobile and flipping through 4 pages, I still haven't seen a completely correct statement regarding this change.

T-Mobile has several tiers for high speed data plan. The scheme currently looks like this:

48LomF5l.png

The new pricing scheme will streamline the choices and raise the price of truly Unlimited high speed. It's easier to understand once you compare the current vs. new scheme (effective 03/23) tier by tier. The amount listed is the additional charge on top of your Simple Choice plan.
  1. +$0, i.e. included with the Simple Choice talk & text
    • Old: 500MB, use however you please (data on device, tethering, hotspot, etc)
    • New: 1GB, use however you please.
  2. +$10
    • Old: 2.5GB, use however you please.
    • New: 3GB, use however you please.
  3. +$20:
    • Old: you have two choices here:
      • 4.5G, use however you please
      • Unlimited data on device + 2.5G tethering/hotspot
    • New: 5GB, use however you please.
  4. +$30:
    • Old: you also have two choices currently:
      • 6.5G, use however you please
      • Unlimited data on device + 4.5G tethering/hotspot
    • New: Unlimited data on device + 5GB tethering/hotspot
  5. +$40
    • Old: Unlimited data on device + 6.5G tethering/hotspot
    • New: No longer available officially. However, just like before, higher tethering/hotspot cap (8.5G to 20G) is available at substantial premium upon request by calling T-Mobile directly.

I think most people on here are currently at Tier 3. If you don't do anything, you will remain at Tier 3 - nothing will change: you'll still pay $20 a month and your tethering/hotspot limit will still be 2.5G until you cancel your service. If you want, you could upgrade to Tier 4 by paying $30 and double your tethering/hotspot limit to 5GB.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: trim81

Top Liked Posts