How to replace custom kernel?

Search This thread

Renecek

Oct 31, 2012
Hello, using Purity ROM + Semaphore kernel and I want to try another kernel. Maybe matr1x. What are steps? I need to flash stock kernel, than custom or I can flash custom kernel without stock?

Thank you

Mr_JMM

Aug 9, 2008
Camulodunum UK / Midwest U.S.
You don't have to flash stock first.

Just flash custom over custom...no need to flash stock

Use caution. There are cases where flashing one kernel over another has proven to cause stability issues. Whilst for the majority of cases it's not necessary to flash stock kernel first, be prepared to do so. In other words, have a stock kernel downloaded as a back up in case you do have issues with the phone after the kernel exchange.

Reactions: Tech2Yantra

Mashed_Potatoes

Oct 26, 2012
Xiaomi 11T Pro
Use caution. There are cases where flashing one kernel over another has proven to cause stability issues. Whilst for the majority of cases it's not necessary to flash stock kernel first, be prepared to do so. In other words, have a stock kernel downloaded as a back up in case you do have issues with the phone after the kernel exchange.

I've been flashing custom over custom on my ex-Note II and everything was fine. And of course, always wipe cache

Mr_JMM

Aug 9, 2008
Camulodunum UK / Midwest U.S.
I've been flashing custom over custom on my ex-Note II and everything was fine. And of course, always wipe cache

Good for you. Still doesn't mean the best advice we can give someone here is to "don't worry about it, just do it, it'll be fine". You don't know what ROM / Kernel people are coming from / going to and you certainly don't know how future ROMs / Kernels will behave. Again, there ARE examples on this forum where some kernels don't like being flashed over other non-stock kernels, problems have arisen and the only option was to flash a stock kernel first.

The best advice we can give someone on this forum is to be prepared for something to not go 100%. Like you I've never had a bad flash be-it ROM, radio or kernel but I still make sure I have a nandroid of the previous working state, stock ROM, radio and Kernel downloaded and know how to flash them before I do anything. That way, should it go wrong I'm covered.

I can not stress enough how wrong it is to just say "yeah, nothing will go wrong". It DOES go wrong and it goes wrong every day. For someone.

Mashed_Potatoes

Oct 26, 2012
Xiaomi 11T Pro
Good for you. Still doesn't mean the best advice we can give someone here is to "don't worry about it, just do it, it'll be fine". You don't know what ROM / Kernel people are coming from / going to and you certainly don't know how future ROMs / Kernels will behave. Again, there ARE examples on this forum where some kernels don't like being flashed over other non-stock kernels, problems have arisen and the only option was to flash a stock kernel first.

The best advice we can give someone on this forum is to be prepared for something to not go 100%. Like you I've never had a bad flash be-it ROM, radio or kernel but I still make sure I have a nandroid of the previous working state, stock ROM, radio and Kernel downloaded and know how to flash them before I do anything. That way, should it go wrong I'm covered.

I can not stress enough how wrong it is to just say "yeah, nothing will go wrong". It DOES go wrong and it goes wrong every day. For someone.

Umm, a recovery backup is something everyone should have. A backup of everything, including EFS for the clumsy ones that lose their IMEI's.

If you have a full backup of your system, it is okay to say "don't worry everything will be alright". If something goes wrong, you just do a system restore.

But that's just me, i can't be bothered with flashing stock kernels and roms all the time.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You don't have to flash stock first.

Umm, a recovery backup is something everyone should have. A backup of everything, including EFS for the clumsy ones that lose their IMEI's.

If you have a full backup of your system, it is okay to say "don't worry everything will be alright". If something goes wrong, you just do a system restore.

But that's just me, i can't be bothered with flashing stock kernels and roms all the time.