[Q] Reboots into recovery after 15 seconds

Search This thread

bigric_tx

Jun 11, 2014
My rooted 1st gen fire started rebooting itself into recovery this evening. It boots normally, but after ~15 seconds, whether I leave it on the lockscreen or am in an app, it goes through the normal Powering Off sequence and boots into TWRP. KFU reports boot status 4000, although it obviously switches to 5001 during the reboot.

No new apps have been installed in a while.

Thoughts?

Ixthusdan

May 14, 2012
Mishawaka, IN
My rooted 1st gen fire started rebooting itself into recovery this evening. It boots normally, but after ~15 seconds, whether I leave it on the lockscreen or am in an app, it goes through the normal Powering Off sequence and boots into TWRP. KFU reports boot status 4000, although it obviously switches to 5001 during the reboot.

No new apps have been installed in a while.

Thoughts?

When it is in recovery, does it reboot into recovery again after 15 seconds? If yes, I suspect a hardware failure. If no, then a reinstall is in order.

bigric_tx

Jun 11, 2014
When it is in recovery, does it reboot into recovery again after 15 seconds? If yes, I suspect a hardware failure. If no, then a reinstall is in order.

It behaves properly in recovery and I can reboot to system. Once up in system, the cycle repeats.

I found this post, and the second part looks like it might be a fix short of reinstalling: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=26229637&postcount=8

I'll report back once I've had some time to try it.

bigric_tx

Jun 11, 2014
I flashed the Amazon recovery per the other thread and it resolved the issue. It booted to the Amazon recovery, did some sort of repair, rebooted, and it's back to normal. I just need to re-root and reinstall FFF and TWRP.

Alternatively, you can download the Kindle Fire software update from Amazon, change the suffix to .zip, extract the contents of the zip file, get the recovery.img out of it, flash it in fastboot, and restart. That might fix whatever problem is causing the reboots into recovery. Make sure you have the FFF bootloader installed before you do that so you can flash TWRP back again if that doesn't help.