Crazy Touch Screen Not Responding Bugs with my G3

Search This thread

deedscreen

Nov 4, 2010
Connecticut
So most of us know about the System UI crash when using Chromecast, but this is even stranger. [Edit: an OTA update fixed this.] Some times, when I wake my phone up at the lockscreen or at times in the middle of a call - the touch screen stops responding. I can press and/or hold the volume buttons and there is a response on screen but I can not interact with the phone at that point. I can't continue to do battery pulls everytime. This is crazy. I'm on stock software. No crazy mods or anything. I've done a reset in the past and flashed the stock package again but this still happens every few hours. Only happens when the screen just wakes up...

Edit: This is a confirmed fix for me.

If you face the same issue, try:

open dialer
press 3845#* INSERT THREE DIGETS OF YOUR MODEL NUMBER THE PRESS #, for example, I am the F400K, so 3845#*400#
Hardware Device Test > Touch
update touch firmware
touch firmware version
wait 10 sec
reboot

Last edited:

Lennyuk

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 26, 2010
Suffolk, England
I would say there is a misbehaving app causing the phone to lag in wake (that is all the unresponsiveness will be, extreme lag).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Epix4G

Sep 14, 2011
phoenix
@Lennyuk - tried for over 30minutes after leaving it alone, I doubt it's a delay... Battery pulls work, but that's not the point.

That was not his point.....to Find the app that is causing it go one by one uninstalling until you find it.... Something probably to do with app and the screen

Sent from my SM-N900P using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

mikeythedude

May 14, 2012
That was not his point.....to Find the app that is causing it go one by one uninstalling until you find it.... Something probably to do with app and the screen

Sent from my SM-N900P using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Totally agree with @Epix4G on this one. I am assuming you had a korean variant? The SK Telecom stock image is pretty ugly. Took me 3 debloat attempts before I had it behaving the way I wanted it to, but before I debloated, I had some lag issues (SK Telecom... grrrhhh).

Historically, Korean carriers (much like AT&T and Verizon) love putting useless junk on the phones for "productivity" but really they are there to charge Korean users more for other services, etc.

If you haven't done so, I would root and debloat, and see how big of a difference it makes (absolutely amazing performance after debloating on my F400S).

Last edited:

deedscreen

Nov 4, 2010
Connecticut
^^^^ - Will take that into consideration.

This may be a possible fix for now, can't yet confirm

open dialer
press 3845#* INSERT THREE DIGETS OF YOUR MODEL NUMBER THE PRESS #, for example, I am the F400K, so 3845#*400#
update touch firmware
touch firmware version
wait 10 sec

reboot

It may or may not help

EDIT: It's been a few weeks and I haven't had this issue again. Usually every 4-6 hours it used to happen after powering on the screen, but so far so good.

Last edited:
Reactions: tprindle77

Daum Ex

Jan 24, 2009
Belgrade
Tried that with 855 version, it's not working. This is REALLY depressing as i just got a new phone and from day one i'm having this problem. I just can't believe LG screwed up like this, and there's no mention of this anywhere online other than this XDA thread. I hope i don't have to root and install custom rom as this really defeats the purpose of the phone.

Reactions: tidaboy9

xedahh

Nov 22, 2009
@deedscreen

I'm having exactly the same problem on an 850 and tried your firmware method. The version number of the firmware did not change after reboot.

ic_fw_version info
SYnaptics 5.5
PanelType 1
version: v1.22
IC_product_id[PLG313]
Touch IC : s3528(family_id = 1, fw_rev = 1)

What version is your firmware? Also, did you find out about the fix from somewhere?

deedscreen

Nov 4, 2010
Connecticut
I have the F400K, but just got a US T-Mobile edition, (I'll eventually switch my signature). I would honestly suggest waiting for an OTA update. Call LG so they can document this. If that touchscreen update method doesn't work, I'm not sure what to do. I found the method somewhere online, I don't recall where exactly. If someone can figure out how to side load the touch screen firmware from a working Korean model to others, that would be great. For now, keep calling LG. It won't do much at first, but at least they'll have reports of this issue.

I have (RAW) touch screen firmware version: 30 05 51 96

Last edited:

icon71

Apr 25, 2010
Same problem, but not only on lock screen

Since 5 days I have my G3 (855 Modell). I was happy the first two days, then I discovered the problem, that the device is always unlocking itself, when in my front pocket. It's because of the Knock on feature. I deactivated this now.

But since yesterday i have the same issue: three times, i was unable to unlock my phone. The touchscreen simply did not respond. I had to remove battery. Today, I read this post and tried the firmware update of the touch, but I have the impression it did not change something in the version.

After this, today I had again once time the non responding touch while unlocking and shortly after, I had the issue after ending a phone call! The touch did no longer respond and had to remove the battery again!

I hope this is not a hardware issue, otherwise I will hurry up to the seller to exchange the phone, because its only 5 days old.

icon71

Apr 25, 2010
You need to keep Knock feature on, someone already said this. That's why your screen is freezing.

Upps, yes, I just read this message now. To late: I was in the shop now and got mine exchanged. Anyway, that issue with the knock on feature should be solved also by LG: it's not acceptable, that the phone is always unlocking in my pocket.But then I wait with deactivating knock on for the moment.

So bad: such a good phone and such an annoying bug :(

Daum Ex

Jan 24, 2009
Belgrade
Upps, yes, I just read this message now. To late: I was in the shop now and got mine exchanged. Anyway, that issue with the knock on feature should be solved also by LG: it's not acceptable, that the phone is always unlocking in my pocket.But then I wait with deactivating knock on for the moment.

I sold mine after a few days, i was sick with it. I disabled the knock feature through the hidden menu only to have the screen freeze every day. What, i can't use the phone the way i like? I have to face the screen outwards in my pocket and risk damaging it? Screw that...

That, plus the overheating and horrible build quality (back got scratched in my pocket) was a deal breaker for me...

Reactions: icon71

icon71

Apr 25, 2010
I sold mine after a few days, i was sick with it. I disabled the knock feature through the hidden menu only to have the screen freeze every day. What, i can't use the phone the way i like? I have to face the screen outwards in my pocket and risk damaging it? Screw that...

That, plus the overheating and horrible build quality (back got scratched in my pocket) was a deal breaker for me...

Yes, indeed i also think about it. I got an official statement from support, regarding that the phone is unlocking all the time by itself in my pocket. They told me stuff like:

- this is a normal behaviour and can happen (!!)
- don't put your phone in the front pocket
- use the quick circle case to prevent...
- disable knock on (which is at least not possible over a standard setting, but only via the hidden menu).

I wrote back:
- that for me, this is not a normal behaviour
- that 90% of male users are wearing the phone in the front pocket
- that I don't like to buy a case only to prevent a bug of a premium telephone and
- finally, that they please could tell me, where and how to disable knock on ;)

I am curious about their answer...

Daum Ex

Jan 24, 2009
Belgrade
Good luck with that, disabling it through the settings doesn't change anything and they probably won't have a fix for months. They'll probably fix it though Android L update which will sadly come 6 months from official release at least.

Next time i purchase an Android phone i'm going with Nexus line...

OffDatGoGo

Oct 21, 2010
MD
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Hey everyone, I just wanted to report my results of this touchscreen bug.

Well, I've only had my D851 for a week now. Of course I rooted it the same day I received it.

I had no touch issues until after restoring apps with Titanium Backup. I'd restore all user apps, then very few system app via XML. Since I just upgraded from a Galaxy S3 T999 I limited the system apps greatly. So much in fact that I only restored 1 system app......Media Storage 4.4.4 (Playlist). THAT WAS MY SCREEN KILLER!

The media scan on my D851 would render my screen unresponsive. I could only hold the power button and click power off or restart or whatever else was on that power menu. Then the phone would reboot after minutes of of a dead screen.

I flashed back to stock and reproduced the same issue. So now I've been running this device for 3 days without any screen lockups. I just have to rebuild my playlist again LOL.

I hope this helps someone here.

jr12866

Nov 5, 2014
Knock

If you turn off the ability to wake by knocking the screen, it causes this issue where the screen locks. Turn it back on and the problem seems to go away.

I think LG really has to deal with this issue.

mrng

Jan 24, 2009
Hi guys, I have red a lot about this issue but I'm still confused with my LG G3 855.
First I realize problem with unlocking the phone using double click. Tried to upgrade touch software firmware using hidden menu and the screen became almost totally unresponsive. Tried to re-flash original 5.0 and 4.4.2, factory reset, battery removed, etc. but no luck.
I'm wonder if this is a software problem or became hardware. Should I consider replacing display or problem is in motherboard?
I really don't know what to do! Appreciate any comments or suggestions!!!
Thanks in advance!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So most of us know about the System UI crash when using Chromecast, but this is even stranger. [Edit: an OTA update fixed this.] Some times, when I wake my phone up at the lockscreen or at times in the middle of a call - the touch screen stops responding. I can press and/or hold the volume buttons and there is a response on screen but I can not interact with the phone at that point. I can't continue to do battery pulls everytime. This is crazy. I'm on stock software. No crazy mods or anything. I've done a reset in the past and flashed the stock package again but this still happens every few hours. Only happens when the screen just wakes up...

Edit: This is a confirmed fix for me.

If you face the same issue, try:

open dialer
    update touch firmware
    touch firmware version
    wait 10 sec
    reboot
    ^^^^ - Will take that into consideration.

This may be a possible fix for now, can't yet confirm

open dialer
    update touch firmware
    touch firmware version
    wait 10 sec

reboot

It may or may not help

EDIT: It's been a few weeks and I haven't had this issue again. Usually every 4-6 hours it used to happen after powering on the screen, but so far so good.
    Tried that with 855 version, it's not working. This is REALLY depressing as i just got a new phone and from day one i'm having this problem. I just can't believe LG screwed up like this, and there's no mention of this anywhere online other than this XDA thread. I hope i don't have to root and install custom rom as this really defeats the purpose of the phone.

lg g3 dead screen after touch firmware upgrade

I have a lg g3 d855, after going to the service menu and attempting a touch screen firmware upgrade my phone got stuck and now my touch screen is dead. I tried several solutions, flashing .kdz through lg flash tool, upgrading my firmware through lg mobile support tool etc. I am 100% sure it is not a hardware issue, since the touch screen was working before this. How can I get the service menu to the default settings or something like that. PLEASE share any advice about this issue.
    Thank you