Nook Tablet and GPS. Solution for me.

Search This thread

Kuzma30

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 20, 2011
Vinnitsa
kuzma30.wordpress.com
I am a owner of Sierra Wireless W801 Mobile Hotspot. This device become popular in my country (Ukraine) for 3G Internet.
When I buy it I don't knew that it have buildin GPS receiver. I even not access to admin web-interface :) It really plug and play device.
Two days ago I login to 192.198.1.1 (admin webinterface) and saw that there is GPS menu here. Made some research. Results - enable GPS receiver.
By default you can map only with web-interface. This situation not very useful.
After googling I found you can access NMEA data of GPS receiver on "192.168.1.1:5502".
Next step - research for software on Android, that can read NMEA data from TCP server. I found it. This is 2$ cost GPSBridge software. You can buy it from Google Play.
After setup correct TCP IP and port (192.168.1.1 and 5502 port) I can see my real GPS data in main window of program.
Google Maps also show my location.

Now late, to walk down the street and check how often and with what accuracy data are updated.
Therefore, all further experiments we will put off.

P.S. Infromation is presented for acquaintance and doesn't apply for the ultimate truth.

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
Wireless service-providers use hotspot's built-in GPS for location address validation, network access optimization, etc.

But I didn't know that these units have self-contained map data.

Last edited:

Kir6y

Jan 7, 2013
Windsor, NC
I am a owner of Sierra Wireless W801 Mobile Hotspot. This device become popular in my country (Ukraine) for 3G Internet.
When I buy it I don't knew that it have buildin GPS receiver. I even not access to admin web-interface :) It really plug and play device.
Two days ago I login to 192.198.1.1 (admin webinterface) and saw that there is GPS menu here. Made some research. Results - enable GPS receiver.
After googling I found you can access NMEA data of GPS receiver on "192.168.1.1:5502".
Next step - research for software on Android, that can read NMEA data from TCP server. I found it. This is 2$ cost GPSBridge software. You can buy it from Google Play.
After setup correct TCP IP and port (192.168.1.1 and 5502 port) I can see my real GPS data in main window of program.

Now late, to walk down the street and check how often and with what accuracy data are updated.

P.S. Infromation is presented for acquaintance and doesn't apply for the ultimate truth.

Sorry I read it incorrectly. You had mobile internet. I thought you could Accurately read your position with just the GPS reciever.

kostic2006

Apr 4, 2012
GPSBridge apk

Привет, ты когда то писал что скрестил нук с 801, я сейчас пробую заставить работать GPS в compass 597 модеме, не мог бы ты сбросить мне APK той проги что ты покупал, она по TCP или UDP слушает? Просто она 15 баксов теперь стоит, мне как студенту жалковато, тем более вдруг не заработает... Спасибо

Kuzma30

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 20, 2011
Vinnitsa
kuzma30.wordpress.com
Привет, ты когда то писал что скрестил нук с 801, я сейчас пробую заставить работать GPS в compass 597 модеме, не мог бы ты сбросить мне APK той проги что ты покупал, она по TCP или UDP слушает? Просто она 15 баксов теперь стоит, мне как студенту жалковато, тем более вдруг не заработает... Спасибо

I answer you at PM

itman2000my

Aug 16, 2010
Hi, i'm trying to download the SAME apk from Google Store, but not found anymore. Is there a possibility for you to backup the app and let me download it? TQ

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.