Difficult to develop for GS4?

Search This thread

ken2802

Aug 29, 2010
sometimes its see as if the devs want all things handed to them...
but i cant talk since i dont know a thing about developing and i am just seeing it from a enduser point of view.

Livebyte

Jul 14, 2012
sometimes its see as if the devs want all things handed to them...
but i cant talk since i dont know a thing about developing and i am just seeing it from a enduser point of view.

Just like you want your ROMs handed to you with a silver spoon.
We want manufacturers to make it easy for us to develop, not take all the mambo jumbo reverse engineering wizardry to get everything working.

Becoming

Jun 11, 2010
You said it yourself, you dont know a thing.

Developers put a tremendous amount of work into this and deserve all the help they can get from the manufacturers.

Deserve? Ha!

This is as entitled and nonsensical as people demanding things from devs that put tons of time and effort to make awesome work for free.

In a perfect world they'd get more support from manufacturers, but they're businesses not charities and aren't obligated to support a damn thing beyond normal updates.

Reactions: Richdog

Livebyte

Jul 14, 2012
Deserve? Ha!

This is as entitled and nonsensical as people demanding things from devs that put tons of time and effort to make awesome work for free.

In a perfect world they'd get more support from manufacturers, but they're businesses not charities and aren't obligated to support a damn thing beyond normal updates.

Yeah, you're right.
So when there's no REAL development here, you have no right to complain.

No support from Samsung = no development = sad enthusiasts = brand image among enthusiasts destroyed
= no enthusiasts give a **** about Samsung devices = less recommendations to the average joe
= average joe look elsewhere = sales drop for Samsung

paravorheim

Mar 10, 2011
So which phone

So I understand the views most developers have towards Samsung. My questions are:
Which phone manufacturer do developers here like the most? Which phones will get the most support for the next year or so from both developers and manufacturers?
Also, I was under the assumption that Samsung released the source for most of their phones very soon after the phones themselves were released. Doesn't that mean they are trying to support development?

Reactions: Piaband

Goku80

Mar 18, 2012
Within the Matrix
So I understand the views most developers have towards Samsung. My questions are:
Which phone manufacturer do developers here like the most? Which phones will get the most support for the next year or so from both developers and manufacturers?
Also, I was under the assumption that Samsung released the source for most of their phones very soon after the phones themselves were released. Doesn't that mean they are trying to support development?

Sony at the moment the best for development mate

browy

Apr 1, 2012
Zürich

The Nexus brand has always been and will always be the most beloved of the devs, no phone can beat that. But it won't be on my must-have list because it lacks removable battery and a SD card slot, all my apps and apps data are backed up on a SD card. That's the only complain that I have against the Nexus.

Sony has been known for their effort to support third party development for example providing the tools to unlock the bootloader on a high-quality device and giving users the instructions to build the kernel source. No other manufacturer had done that, nor have any others to date. In fact they have won XDA's OEM of the year 2012

Piaband

May 18, 2011
Do people really think This forum or website will determine Samsung's financial fate when releasing new devices?

Out of everyone I know who has a Samsung phone (and other brands) I am the only one who even has it rooted! My wife only has her SGS 2 rooted because I did it. Otherwise most users by a huge margin could not care less about "development". They love their devices stock and buy them in the millions. With or without ASOP AKOP CM or unlocked boot loaders. The devices are getting so good, even Stock ROM developers have a hard time selling their wares. But there will as always be decent stock ROM developers.

A few thousand phones are represented here against tens of millions sold. Samsung doesn't care whether CM is developed or not. They will sell millions. They have all but buried HTC and Sony.

First of all, the point of this thread is to educate people who wish to purchase a device with ample dev support.

Secondly, your point is very short-sighted. Although our community is not the majority of users, we are by far the most vocal. When the average user goes to buy a smartphone, they have no idea which is better than the next. Word of mouth is very influential in this market.

Sent from my s-off Rezound

Reactions: Bjray and sigulda1

tbong777

Yeah, you're right.
So when there's no REAL development here, you have no right to complain.

No support from Samsung = no development = sad enthusiasts = brand image among enthusiasts destroyed
= no enthusiasts give a **** about Samsung devices = less recommendations to the average joe
= average joe look elsewhere = sales drop for Samsung

Some of us have lived on Stock Rom development for years and actually prefer it over the always non working this and that on CM and CM based ROMS. The only device I owned/own that benefits from CM is the Nexus. Other than that I prefer EVERYTHING to work and not wait for some nightly and have to flash a new ROM every week.

Cyanogen had their day. Manufacturers are making them obsolete with the hardware features they don't willingly release driver code for. Why should they? They WANT SAMSUNG stuff on Samsung phones. Stock developers do a great job of giving us a choice of WHICH Samsung apps we want and those of us who use the Pen on the Note like having it work as well.

We get it. No CM ROM...Buy another brand, Samsung doesn't care, nor should they for the relative handful of their newer devices running CM Roms.

Livebyte

Jul 14, 2012
Some of us have lived on Stock Rom development for years and actually prefer it over the always non working this and that on CM and CM based ROMS. The only device I owned/own that benefits from CM is the Nexus. Other than that I prefer EVERYTHING to work and not wait for some nightly and have to flash a new ROM every week.

Cyanogen had their day. Manufacturers are making them obsolete with the hardware features they don't willingly release driver code for. Why should they? They WANT SAMSUNG stuff on Samsung phones. Stock developers do a great job of giving us a choice of WHICH Samsung apps we want and those of us who use the Pen on the Note like having it work as well.

We get it. No CM ROM...Buy another brand, Samsung doesn't care, nor should they for the relative handful of their newer devices running CM Roms.

Let's say it's May. Android 5.0 came by in Google I/O.
6 months later, you're still on 4.2.2 because Samsung still hasn't updated their phones and sources.
Okay there might be AOSP-based ROMs a week later.
But none of them is fully working because the drivers from 4.2.2 is no longer working in 5.0
You're telling me you won't get mad?
What if Google came out with some super cool feature.
Last year was Project Butter & Google Now.
You're still telling me you won't get mad?
If you say Samsung don't care, why should we care about them then?
We're XDA because we develop amazing custom ROMs, not some themed **** with extra apps preloaded together with some build.prop edits

Last edited:

GeorgEveS

Dec 7, 2011
Veliko Tarnovo
You guys really got me into thinking... I thought Sammy to have unlocked phones and stuff but turns out they don't :/ I'm now really confused about what my next phone should be... I like the Nexus family but it's hardware limitations bug me. I dont know nothing about Sony... I'm so confused right now... :/ I guess I will wait to see if any good devices come out this year and if they have good CM support...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium

howtomen

Jan 10, 2011
Brea CA
You guys really got me into thinking... I thought Sammy to have unlocked phones and stuff but turns out they don't :/ I'm now really confused about what my next phone should be... I like the Nexus family but it's hardware limitations bug me. I dont know nothing about Sony... I'm so confused right now... :/ I guess I will wait to see if any good devices come out this year and if they have good CM support...

If ur in the US ur fine lol

trolol and awayyy!! Expect typos this is my phone.

Livebyte

Jul 14, 2012

I really suggest you to get anything other than a Samsung device if you want thorough and vibrant development
or if you are using an LTE Galaxy S 4, you'll be fine.

muhamet

Feb 8, 2011
Skopje
I really suggest you to get anything other than a Samsung device if you want thorough and vibrant development
or if you are using an LTE Galaxy S 4, you'll be fine.

Livebyte i think you working for Htc hahaa.Yea Samsung will update t Lime 5 after 6 but other smartphones after 2years.Samy whit 4.2.2 will work bether then Nexus whit lime5.So what is the point of lime5???CM is for older smartphones whit older procesors and ram.Beast like Sgs4 dhont need CM

Sent from my LG-P500 using xda app-developers app

Livebyte

Jul 14, 2012
Livebyte i think you working for Htc hahaa.Yea Samsung will update t Lime 5 after 6 but other smartphones after 2years.Samy whit 4.2.2 will work bether then Nexus whit lime5.So what is the point of lime5???CM is for older smartphones whit older procesors and ram.Beast like Sgs4 dhont need CM

I would love to work in a prestigious corporation like HTC.
Your sentence doesn't make any sense.
The purpose of CyanogenMod is to provide an alternative pure AOSP experience but with value-added features.
It is not what you think.

Reactions: sigulda1

muhamet

Feb 8, 2011
Skopje
You word is dhont buy SGS4 becose no CM suport.Devolpment isn t only CM litle respect t other Devs.TW devs like Omega,Jkay,Wanam,Turkbey,Dragon,Alliance.......

Last edited:

imtoomuch

Dec 28, 2011
Phoenixville

At this point, it's not really Android. Don't you understand that? All this fragmentation is what will kill Android.

IMO Samsung pretty much hinted at a plan for giving up Android for its own Tizen OS when they announced it would be installed on high end phones.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

muhamet

Feb 8, 2011
Skopje
At this point, it's not really Android. Don't you understand that? All this fragmentation is what will kill Android.

IMO Samsung pretty much hinted at a plan for giving up Android for its own Tizen OS when they announced it would be installed on high end phones.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Blame Samsung for perfection.Grove up samy is perfected whit samy roms dhont need Aosp.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nobody at team hacksung (the team behind galaxy s2, note, s3, note2, gtabs... official CM ports) plans to buy it, neither develop for it. There are two variants which will be a pain to maintain, the bugs we have on the s3 will probably be there on s4 too (camera), and we all know Samsung ability to release sources while staying in line with mainline. Yes qualcomm release sources, but exynos sources we had were far from actual galaxy products. I'm pretty sure the same will happen for this one.

That's a uniform "no" from us (hacksung).

EDIT: Don't get me wrong. There has been a huge flood of messages around the web about the support of CM and the SGS4. What I wrote above is JUST from my/hacksung opinion. CyanogenMod is a big organization with hundreds of contributors around the world. Even if me/codeworkx/entropy/... won't develop for it, other people can go ahead and do it. It's not the CyanogenMod project that decided that 'no' I expressed.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
    Explain?

Sent from my s-off Rezound

Most experienced developers are leaving Samsung for manufacturers that don't treat them like **** (see the Superbrick fiasco), leaving only the "me-too" smali-hack-kangs and a very small number of experienced competent developers like Andrei.

Quality, not quantity - most of the stuff in the I9100 and I9300 forums is crap, people who took a Touchwizz base, themed it, made some build.prop hacks, and called it a whole new firmware package. They're lucky in that Touchwizz is so bad that it's easy to improve upon it.

Compare to, for example, the Xperia T where there are 5-10 or more developers all contributing as a team to something that only has two threads (One for CM10, one for CM10.1) There aren't many people working with Sony stock firmwares because, honestly, it's REALLY hard to improve upon them because they're so good to begin with. Most of the few things that can be improved are achievable with simple TiBu freezes, no smali hacking required.
    The Exynos Octa is going to be an absolute deal breaker in terms of full AOSP support. The core architecture with it's firmware controlled CPU handover is where the problems will lie. No way are Samsung going to release the relevant documentation given their history and the unique capabilities of this SOC. While AOSP code will ultimately make it onto the device, expect a broken implementation of it.

Still. I never fully understood the major hate towards Samsung in regards to AOSP ROMs. Never have Samsung advertised the Galaxy S range as AOSP devices or AOSP friendly devices. You are ultimately hacking the device beyond it's advertised capabilities. You should be thankful they don't force you to legally sign away your warranty like HTC/Sony just so you can flash a ROM. I loved my S2, but ultimately missed the AOSP experience I had on my Nexus One and returned to Nexus range in the way of the Galaxy Nexus, a Samsung device, advertised and promoted as an AOSP device.

Regards.
    They publicized their donation of three devices to the CM team VERY heavily.

They promised they were "working hard" on Superbrick, and threw a grenade in our faces with XWLPM a month later with no warning.

They promised to release updated platform reference source for Exynos4 - and regurgitated the same almost-a-year-out-of-date crap (it's now on the order of 1 year 3 months outdated) that was an issue in the first place. Their BABBQ promise was clearly just a stunt to sell more Note2 units.

They lie on a regular basis... They say they care about the community to sell more devices, but their actions are the exact opposite of their words.

They update fast because their update is also crap.
    Its poor in quality and buggy at most

Free SGS2 to CM team was a publicity stunt.
    Yup. The only manufacturer who has donated FEWER devices to CM maintainers than Samsung is HTC and maybe Motorola.

Jerpelea has more Sony devices than he has the time to support. (For various reasons, Sony asks that these donations don't get publicized too much). Arcee has received every LG device marketed in Europe to my knowledge (again, that's kept semi-quiet, partly because manufacturers don't want users to go out and buy a device then get disappointed if the CM bringup falters for whatever reason.)

Let's say it's May. Android 5.0 came by in Google I/O.
    6 months later, you're still on 4.2.2 because Samsung still hasn't updated their phones and sources.
    Okay there might be AOSP-based ROMs a week later.
    But none of them is fully working because the drivers from 4.2.2 is no longer working in 5.0
    You're telling me you won't get mad?
    What if Google came out with some super cool feature.
    Last year was Project Butter & Google Now.
    You're still telling me you won't get mad?
    If you say Samsung don't care, why should we care about them then?
    We're XDA because we develop amazing custom ROMs, not some themed **** with extra apps preloaded together with some build.prop edits
    You guys do realise much of the work and bugfixes by CM are fed back to Samsung for improvement? Without the pool of highly talented developers to tinker with their product, there will be no talent to brainstorm with. Other than meaning Samsung doesn't care about the enthusiasts community, this also means Samsung doesn't care about the common user, because they are reluctant to hang on to the pool of talent they should work the most closely with for when fckups like the Brickbug occurs.
    Actually, we've tried to feed bugfixes back to Samsung for improvement, but they just sit and let things be broken for months on end. This is where a lot of our frustration comes from - we've tried as hard as we can to work WITH Samsung, and they treat their customers like crap. They absolutely refuse to take responsibility for any bug that gets discovered.

Look at the MAX17042 fuel_alerted wakelock bug - Discovered in October 2011, reported multiple times back to Samsung (and the fix was literally ONE CHARACTER, replacing an == with >= in a comparison), and it didn't get fixed until January 2013.

Compared to Sony, who have actively worked with developers here in terms of investigating bugs that are found. MANY of the issues we raised with ICS on the Xperia T were solved in Jellybean.

I got a question.

Is Steve Kondik a.k.a Cyanogen (founder of CyanogenMod) still working for Samsung?
    If so, I would like to know his toughts about the hate/love relationship of TeamHacksung with Samsung.

Enviado desde mi GT-N7100 usando Tapatalk 2
    He's working for Samsung USA... He pretty much stays out of it. He's in a very tough position due to working for Samsung... He's stuck between us and the Koreans.

There are a number of people at Samsung USA that care and want things to change, but upper management in Korea is 100% uncooperative.