Custom Roms

Search This thread

jsuch2002

Jan 22, 2011
With an unlocked bootloader I thought we would have alot more roms by now than what we do.....maybe im wrong. Im not criticizing anyone or any developer's. Just thought there would be a wider variety by now. Thoughts???

Sent from my most awesome phone EVER!!!!

pocketbook

Feb 5, 2010
For one, the phone has only been out for a month and a half for Verizon. I'm not familiar development processes are from carrier versions but I'd imagine you have to specially make a rom based on the device you're using it on. Although, with it being such a popular device around the world that it's only a matter of time before more developers move over to the CDMA version.

Does Verizon and Sprint use the same version of the phone?

tfly212

Dec 1, 2011
New York
I think considering the late year release date (devs enjoy the holidays too) plus the additional bootloader lockdown issue that development is coming along nicely. We have 2 great roms that are daily drivers now and from what I see on the other threads another slew in alpha now. This is a flagship phone for sure, which I think makes for a bright future.

Reactions: Shaffer678

eraursls1984

Sep 8, 2010
Tallahassee, Florida
thats how all newer phones start out... was same way for my galaxy nexus when it came out...

It hasn't been the case with any of my Motorola phones even with a locked bootloader. There was always more roms within about 3 days of getting cwm via bootstrap, than there has been on this device. I think a big reason is that not many people have the Verizon variant. I didn't get a GNex, but I did look at the development after a few weeks when I was still considering it, and there was a lot of roms, and mods.

Grant Barker

Apr 14, 2008
www.thecomputermouse.com
It takes time for all devices. For those of us in Japan using the Japanese Galaxy Note 2, we have only just had root this week! :good:
(Thanks for the help of a few here at XDA). So in time I'm sure more ROMS will be available for the Verizon Note 2 also.

Reactions: Shaffer678

eraursls1984

Sep 8, 2010
Tallahassee, Florida
ive owned a few android phones, starting with the droid.... and with as many carriers with so many devices im shocked we have as many as we do.

and lets be honest, how many versions of cmod do we really need.

We are getting a lot more devices, which is probably diluting how many users are running each device. My first Android phone was the Droid X, and it had a ton of development at the beginning and lasted for about 7-8 months before it started to slow down. My other devices had a lot of development right away (but not as much as the X) but start to slow down after just 3 months or so.

uberjon

Aug 7, 2010
Honestly with how awesome this device is, stock. The desire for mods is probably reduced significantly..

I've owned a Samsung captivate and droid x2. This device is so smooth and fluid I am willing to pay postpaid plan prices to have it.. (Was using page plus 55$/month with dx20

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

rdubb76

Mar 26, 2009
Interestingly enough I was thinking the same thing. Coming from Sprint where there are soo many more roms then there are here with Verizon I was surprised to see there was such a difference. The roms developed already are great but there just doesn't seem to be the variety as on Sprint...In my opinion only...Why?

Last edited:

adrynalyne

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 13, 2008
Interestingly enough I was thinking the same thing. Coming from Sprint where there are soo many more roms then there are here with Verizon I was surprised to see there was such a difference. The roms developed already are great but there just doesn't seem to be the variety as on Sprint...In my opinion only...

Huh.

Sprint released in October.
Sprint didn't have a locked bootloader.
Sprint has 12334234123 roms that are mostly the same with different kitchen devs running them (this is the main reason).

The reason I think we aren't seeing as much activity is because:

1. People are still recovering from the holiday season and the Note II released during the holiday season.
2. There are some of us that simply don't have time, and have no desire to release a zip rom that is more of the same. Like for me, I only have time to do mods and advise others.
3. Verizon has scared off a lot of talent.

So if anyone has a problem with this, I recommend they jump ship and change to Sprint. Personally, I feel that those who complain about this should suck it up and learn how to do this stuff. They can then proactively help fix the problem.

Last edited:

rdubb76

Mar 26, 2009
Huh.

Sprint has 12334234123 roms that are mostly the same with different kitchen devs running them (this is the main reason).

1. People are still recovering from the holiday season and the Note II released during the holiday season.
2. There are some of us that simply don't have time, and have no desire to release a zip rom that is more of the same. Like for me, I only have time to do mods and advise others.

So if anyone has a problem with this, I recommend they jump ship and change to Sprint. Personally, I feel that those who complain about this should suck it up and learn how to do this stuff. They can then proactively help fix the problem.

Wow, observations don't necessarily equate to complaining. People are soo sensitive these days. The truth is, if you are developing this stuff, I couldn't respect you more for doing it. It is something I don't have the knowledge to do. But that doesn't mean that someone who is new to Verizon and used to flashing roms weekly can't question why there is a difference in the participation between the two. You are correct, there are two or three base roms and many variations of them but there "appears" to be more.

I think answer # 3 you gave is what I was expecting to hear and with all the limitations Verizon puts on the phones it doesn't surprise.

So personally I feel....if you don't care to ask why the question is being asked...dont' answer it either...with all due respect.

Reactions: jsuch2002

LBJM

Feb 3, 2011
Keep in mind Vzw took their merry time releasing this phone that those that had to have it first went to other carriers.

Reactions: blackbass595

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I think considering the late year release date (devs enjoy the holidays too) plus the additional bootloader lockdown issue that development is coming along nicely. We have 2 great roms that are daily drivers now and from what I see on the other threads another slew in alpha now. This is a flagship phone for sure, which I think makes for a bright future.
    It takes time for all devices. For those of us in Japan using the Japanese Galaxy Note 2, we have only just had root this week! :good:
    (Thanks for the help of a few here at XDA). So in time I'm sure more ROMS will be available for the Verizon Note 2 also.

ive owned a few android phones, starting with the droid.... and with as many carriers with so many devices im shocked we have as many as we do.

and lets be honest, how many versions of cmod do we really need.
    Huh.

Wow, observations don't necessarily equate to complaining. People are soo sensitive these days. The truth is, if you are developing this stuff, I couldn't respect you more for doing it. It is something I don't have the knowledge to do. But that doesn't mean that someone who is new to Verizon and used to flashing roms weekly can't question why there is a difference in the participation between the two. You are correct, there are two or three base roms and many variations of them but there "appears" to be more.

I think answer # 3 you gave is what I was expecting to hear and with all the limitations Verizon puts on the phones it doesn't surprise.

So personally I feel....if you don't care to ask why the question is being asked...dont' answer it either...with all due respect.
    Keep in mind Vzw took their merry time releasing this phone that those that had to have it first went to other carriers.