[Q] soon to be s3 owner.

Search This thread

-Falco

Nov 10, 2012
I'm coming from a galaxy s2 t989 and I'm curious as to how development is on this device? Also if someone could link me to the easiest root method that would be great. And if someone would kind enough to tell me the “best roms/develops" are. Thanks!

~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~
Phone: Samsung Galaxy s2 T989 Hercules
Rom: Jedi Jelly 4
Kernel: Insecure Kernel
Radio: LB7 Blaze
I am going to try and make an app, if anyone wants help this beautiful talented celebrity in making it just message me! :p

TheLastSidekick

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 4, 2012
I'm coming from a galaxy s2 t989 and I'm curious as to how development is on this device? Also if someone could link me to the easiest root method that would be great. And if someone would kind enough to tell me the “best roms/develops" are. Thanks!

I am going to try and make an app, if anyone wants help this beautiful talented celebrity in making it just message me! :p

Few things.

1. The easiest root method, will trip your flash counter and void your warranty. The other method of remaining stock, rooted will not trip your counter, but you CANNOT flash custom binaries or it will trip. So it depends on which method you prefer to take.

2. Development on this device is great. Just got a new radio from Samsung today and everyone's reception increased. We have AOKP, CM, port from other ROMs, debloated stock ROMs, tons of themes, a mess of kernels to choose from. We have a TON of RD in this section. Not to mention, everyone in the forum is VERY helpful, and there isn't as much flaming going on as there was on t989 forums. (Which you and I are both from).

3. As with always, stating the best ROM is pointless for two reasons. Everyone has different usage. Kernels and ROMs work differently together for everyone's phones, so you'd need to try them all. But not only that, all dev's work should be appreciated because to be quite honest, the work they are putting out there is high-quality, it's just a matter of preference.

You have PLENTY of good ROMs, and to name a few (not saying others aren't just as good!) but these are the ones I have tested in no particular order..

1. DarthStalker v9 is great, a bit bulky but it's heavily featured, and still fast on it's feet, with good battery.

2. RLS by PureMotive is a nice aroma installer ROM. You can cherry pick what you want to add, or go with his recommended settings. Fast, beautiful, great battery.

3. WICKED v6 is SUPER smooth, with excellent battery life, lightly themed while not straying too far from the stock feel.

Like I said, there are others but as far as TouchWiz goes these are the ones I have used so far.

I DO NOT recommend AOKP 4.2.1 or CM10.1 for the moment, it's quite buggy but it is fairly new.

Reactions: rashidkn and -Falco

DigitalUnderground

Oct 4, 2012
There are 2 development sections. Browse and read.

And contrary to what guy above me said... 4.2.1 works nearly bug free (I've yet to notice a bug). Rootbox and illusion are very stable and customizable.

Before this thread gets locked and shut down, my $.02 is flash wicked v6 for a touchwiz ROM or Rootbox 3.6 official release for an aosp ROM.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

N3r0-666

Jul 30, 2011
Development here all seems pointless there is really no difference from any build and stock :/ tryed about 20 best so far is synergy cause of the multi window feature. Kernals really don't do anything that I notice and I do a lot with my phone

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

DigitalUnderground

Oct 4, 2012
Development here all seems pointless there is really no difference from any build and stock :/ tryed about 20 best so far is synergy cause of the multi window feature. Kernals really don't do anything that I notice and I do a lot with my phone

Lol yeah 4.2.1 looks just like 4.1.1 :rolleyes:

If its pointless u should probably have no point in coming here and posting in these forums

daxecutioner24

Jun 24, 2011
Most roms are pretty much similar after a while but what you expect? For the phone to bake you food with a certain rom lol. Seriously though just try them out. I would stick with base 4.1.1.
Please don't say CM10 is not buggy because it is, it has that home button glitch where it brings up the task manager instead of actually going back requiring reboot. It might not happen to you but other users are reporting. For your first few rom go base sir.

Last edited:

bikrame

Jun 10, 2010
New York City

Seriously !!!

Seems like you dont know meaning of development dude.
we have best roms and aosp roms are also getting better.
U just need themes dude not ROMs.

PainfulLover

Jun 15, 2011
In the van down by the river

Tried pretty much every major rom & kernel (except for touch jizz, I hate it. But that's just my opinion).

Check out my signature, highly recommend this setup! No issues whatsoever, knock on woody.

Last edited:

-Falco

Nov 10, 2012
There are 2 development sections. Browse and read.

And contrary to what guy above me said... 4.2.1 works nearly bug free (I've yet to notice a bug). Rootbox and illusion are very stable and customizable.

Before this thread gets locked and shut down, my $.02 is flash wicked v6 for a touchwiz ROM or Rootbox 3.6 official release for an aosp ROM.

Does the touchwiz Rom have multiwindow? I would love a Rom with multiwindow that actually works. (The t989 is almost there!)

DigitalUnderground

Oct 4, 2012
Only synergy has multi window.... But tbh... Its nothing special on our screen size

DigitalUnderground

Oct 4, 2012
Most roms are pretty much similar after a while but what you expect? For the phone to bake you food with a certain rom lol. Seriously though just try them out. I would stick with base 4.1.1.
Please don't say CM10 is not buggy because it is, it has that home button glitch where it brings up the task manager instead of actually going back requiring reboot. It might not happen to you but other users are reporting. For your first few rom go base sir.

Who said anything about cm10 not being buggy? I referenced rootbox and illusion. And are you calling the OP a sir? Do you read anything before you start blabbering?

Reactions: -Falco

-Falco

Nov 10, 2012
So many of you probably know ptmr3, who is the ptmr3 is this phone? Or is he here?

TheLastSidekick

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 4, 2012
So many of you probably know ptmr3, who is the ptmr3 is this phone? Or is he here?

What? PTMR3 and his team are here.

daxecutioner24

Jun 24, 2011
Who said anything about cm10 not being buggy? I referenced rootbox and illusion. And are you calling the OP a sir? Do you read anything before you start blabbering?

Relax is it that time of the month again?
Anyways my bad on the sir Arianna lol

-Falco

Nov 10, 2012
Could someone link me to latest twrp that is flashable via Odin?

-Falco

Nov 10, 2012
Another thing, if I backup my s2, apps using app2zip, can I flash them in twrp I this device?

Aerowinder

Aug 11, 2012
It's not necessarily good advice to tell someone to use stock for a while before using AOSP. I dove in head first. No problems. It depends on the person. Lots of variables. Like their experience with Android. Or if they know someone who knows a bit about it. Also depends on how the person learns and how tech savvy they are. But mostly what their device is to them, and what they want to make it do.

I have a tar of TWRP, will upload to Dropbox and edit this post with a link.
Edit: http://db.tt/JlnorIEn

And no to your apps2zip question.

Last edited:
Reactions: DigitalUnderground

DigitalUnderground

Oct 4, 2012
Another thing, if I backup my s2, apps using app2zip, can I flash them in twrp I this device?

I wouldn't... Could cause bugs.

-Falco

Nov 10, 2012
How else could I load/backup my app's to put in s3

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Few things.

1. The easiest root method, will trip your flash counter and void your warranty. The other method of remaining stock, rooted will not trip your counter, but you CANNOT flash custom binaries or it will trip. So it depends on which method you prefer to take.

2. Development on this device is great. Just got a new radio from Samsung today and everyone's reception increased. We have AOKP, CM, port from other ROMs, debloated stock ROMs, tons of themes, a mess of kernels to choose from. We have a TON of RD in this section. Not to mention, everyone in the forum is VERY helpful, and there isn't as much flaming going on as there was on t989 forums. (Which you and I are both from).

3. As with always, stating the best ROM is pointless for two reasons. Everyone has different usage. Kernels and ROMs work differently together for everyone's phones, so you'd need to try them all. But not only that, all dev's work should be appreciated because to be quite honest, the work they are putting out there is high-quality, it's just a matter of preference.

You have PLENTY of good ROMs, and to name a few (not saying others aren't just as good!) but these are the ones I have tested in no particular order..

1. DarthStalker v9 is great, a bit bulky but it's heavily featured, and still fast on it's feet, with good battery.

2. RLS by PureMotive is a nice aroma installer ROM. You can cherry pick what you want to add, or go with his recommended settings. Fast, beautiful, great battery.

3. WICKED v6 is SUPER smooth, with excellent battery life, lightly themed while not straying too far from the stock feel.

Like I said, there are others but as far as TouchWiz goes these are the ones I have used so far.

I DO NOT recommend AOKP 4.2.1 or CM10.1 for the moment, it's quite buggy but it is fairly new.

Lol yeah 4.2.1 looks just like 4.1.1 :rolleyes:

If its pointless u should probably have no point in coming here and posting in these forums

It's not necessarily good advice to tell someone to use stock for a while before using AOSP. I dove in head first. No problems. It depends on the person. Lots of variables. Like their experience with Android. Or if they know someone who knows a bit about it. Also depends on how the person learns and how tech savvy they are. But mostly what their device is to them, and what they want to make it do.

I have a tar of TWRP, will upload to Dropbox and edit this post with a link.
    Edit: http://db.tt/JlnorIEn

And no to your apps2zip question.