[Q] FireTV providing extra info?

Search This thread

jrgx19

May 21, 2010
I live in the UK and had been using the FTV since it came out. I have been using vyprVPN on my router loaded with DD-WRT. So I am able to access all of the US content. Since I rooted my FTV last night, everytime I go into Hulu (from the FTV) the IP address I use gets flagged by Hulu and I am not able to use that IP anymore. Has root enabled the FTV to provide some extra information to the Hulu server to flag those IP addresses? I did not have an issue before I rooted. I don't want to keep using different addresses until I figure out what's going on. So far only Hulu is flagging the addresses, Amazon, Netflix etc work fine. I checked the SU app, Hulu does not have root access. Any ideas?

Last edited:

kairnage

Aug 17, 2011
Unroot then reset and see what happens. It might just be a new measure from Hulu that started around the time you rooted.

roustabout

Feb 12, 2011
Try installing Root Cloak - Hulu's always been top drawer paranoid about content leakage, and it would not surprise me if they were asking the OS "hey, is there a copy of su in /system?" and reporting back to the mothership if one is seen.

Don't know if RC helps with Hulu.

jrgx19

May 21, 2010
Try installing Root Cloak - Hulu's always been top drawer paranoid about content leakage, and it would not surprise me if they were asking the OS "hey, is there a copy of su in /system?" and reporting back to the mothership if one is seen.

Don't know if RC helps with Hulu.

Thanks, Ill give this a try when i get home

UPDATE: it did not work, I tried it with a new IP address, I was able to watch about 15. It kicked me off and when I came back, the IP was flagged. The odd part is that this only happens with the rooted FTV. I use my rooted GS4 to watch hulu. I have not have an issue. I used it today just fine.

The part that sucks is that once the IP is flagged, It cannot be used to stream from hulu from any other device or browser. I removed root and the IP flagging stopped. I guess I will need to stay unrooted in order to use hulu....

Last edited:

jrgx19

May 21, 2010
Unroot then reset and see what happens. It might just be a new measure from Hulu that started around the time you rooted.

any idea on how to safely unroot?

UPDATE: I removed root and the IP flagging stopped. I guess I will need to stay unrooted in order to use hulu.... Thanks for the idea..!

Last edited:

kairnage

Aug 17, 2011
any idea on how to safely unroot?

UPDATE: I removed root and the IP flagging stopped. I guess I will need to stay unrooted in order to use hulu.... Thanks for the idea..!

You could try to use a tablet version Hulu instead of the Amazon's or get one of the Root Blocker tools and see if HUlu works with it enabled like OTA Rootkeeper. Could be they tied their HUlu app into their VOD.