How's everyone's battery life?

Search This thread

dumon

Aug 23, 2010
NYC
The battery drain may be due to the software which needs to be optimized, or perhaps due to the LTE modem.

I forgot to mention, I have it unlocked and using it on T-Mobile network. So no LTE for me at all.
It gets T-Mobile 4G speeds though fine. There is not much can be done to fully optimize it without root.
I've disabled all att bloat ware that I could, but the phone is still crippled - can't even switch between 3G or 2G in the settings.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

MagicXB

May 24, 2009
I'm led to believe that the LTE modem never actually shuts off, even in an area where an LTE signal cannot be obtained. There ate no real settings controls to control/turn off that particular radio. Also, with the Snapdragon S4 the LTE modem is actually on the same 32nm chip (along with Wifi and Bluetooth).

Perhaps Qualcomm could further help Motorola in optimizing energy usage seeing as they custom designed the chip.

Sent from my Motorola ATRIX HD

dumon

Aug 23, 2010
NYC
I'm led to believe that the LTE modem never actually shuts off, even in an area where an LTE signal cannot be obtained. There ate no real settings controls to control/turn off that particular radio. Also, with the Snapdragon S4 the LTE modem is actually on the same 32nm chip (along with Wifi and Bluetooth).

Perhaps Qualcomm could further help Motorola in optimizing energy usage seeing as they custom designed the chip.

Sent from my Motorola ATRIX HD

I've just bumped into this post here http://www.qualcomm.com/media/blog/2012/06/20/what-integrating-4g-lte-modem-means-snapdragon-s4-processor-and-battery-life. It says: " The modem is also multimode, meaning it can fall back to 3G when LTE isn’t available."
In any case the very first thing is to get it rooted. This thing alone should be enough to tweak it for a better battery life.

MagicXB

May 24, 2009
Reactions: tiguy99

seth_dare

Dec 13, 2010
EB40 Battery Mod

I did the mod a while back with a promise of pics but never got around to it, as has already been stated though:
-Simply removed the thin outer housing with a guitar pick run along the edges
-Use a T5 i believe driver to remove the screws around the midframe
-I then used a razor to removed about 1/4 inch or so from the inner top part of the internal plastic frame to allow the battery to sit in proper.
-Seal it back up

ALSO!!! The newest update calibrated my battery perfectly, I would assume its because it will also be what is run on the new atrix hd maxx to be released. I can easily go 30 hours without a charge. FANTASTIC!!! Highly recommended mod

Diff 1-10 = 3
Awesomeness 1-10 = 10

Sonicmax2k2

Apr 22, 2011
Can anyone else speak to battery life improvements since the new update? I was holding off on suggesting this phone to people on AT&T until Moto got a chance to roll out an improvement update. What's the difference you're seeing between the old and new update? Do you use any other tweaks or mods to improve battery life?

MagicXB

May 24, 2009
Can anyone else speak to battery life improvements since the new update? I was holding off on suggesting this phone to people on AT&T until Moto got a chance to roll out an improvement update. What's the difference you're seeing between the old and new update? Do you use any other tweaks or mods to improve battery life?

I have noticed some improved battery life. It's not quite what I would like the battery life to be on this phone, but it's certainly better. Currently, I only use Smart Actions to save battery life. I also used to use JuiceDefender Ultimate.

ML417

Jul 26, 2012
Long Island, NY
I have seen a slight improvement on battery life, especially when I'm not on the near side of signal loss (huge battery drainage because of that). I don't use any battery improvement apps, I haven't seen any signal improvements, but wi-fi still loves to randomly disconnect and reconnect.

mandrsn1

Jun 20, 2009
I did the mod a while back with a promise of pics but never got around to it, as has already been stated though:
-I then used a razor to removed about 1/4 inch or so from the inner top part of the internal plastic frame to allow the battery to sit in proper.
-Seal it back up

ALSO!!! The newest update calibrated my battery perfectly, I would assume its because it will also be what is run on the new atrix hd maxx to be released. I can easily go 30 hours without a charge. FANTASTIC!!! Highly recommended mod

Diff 1-10 = 3
Awesomeness 1-10 = 10

How does it look now that it is sealed back up? Can you get picture of the end product?

reddog

Jan 29, 2006
Atlanta
EB40 Mod

How does it look now that it is sealed back up? Can you get picture of the end product?

I have attached a picture of the MOD that I did on my phone. It is not difficult and I can tell you after the recent firmware upgrade my phone is now truly usable.

Take a look at the recent screen shot of my battery life. Yes that's right six days on a single charge. I love it..

Attachments

• IMG_20120914_031820.jpg
    IMG_20120914_031820.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 8,325
  • Screenshot_2012-09-21-02-09-19.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-09-21-02-09-19.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 6,954

souljaboy

Apr 30, 2009
Next guy to do it, please post the disassembly video here, there aren't any on youtube!! :eek:

smogtdi

Jul 16, 2012
Montreal
ITake a look at the recent screen shot of my battery life. Yes that's right six days on a single charge. I love it..

just made mine. The EB40 battery is just slightly thicker.

I only removed the flexible back cover with a guitar pick (that I got with an iphone repair kit)

then I opened the battery space just a bit using a high speed mini drill (dremel type)

I didn't have to remove anything other than the kevlar cover and the battery.

once the battery is out, it's easy to cut open the little part on top. (plenty of space between the part to be cut and the electronic parts.)

no need for a super DIY article to do it.

mandrsn1

Jun 20, 2009
I have attached a picture of the MOD that I did on my phone. It is not difficult and I can tell you after the recent firmware upgrade my phone is now truly usable.

Take a look at the recent screen shot of my battery life. Yes that's right six days on a single charge. I love it..

Awesome. do you have a picture with the phone closed back up?

heifeif

Sep 8, 2012
Hello. Great mod!:good:

Can you pls post sharper pics from the side and back?

Thx.

h078

Nov 18, 2007

I only removed the flexible back cover with a guitar pick (that I got with an iphone repair kit)

then I opened the battery space just a bit using a high speed mini drill (dremel type)

once the battery is out, it's easy to cut open the little part on top. (plenty of space between the part to be cut and the electronic parts.)

What part on the top you had to cut down ? Can you maybe use pic from post #74 and just add arrows designating where you need to cut?
Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Agreed. I'd love to see some pics as well. :cool:

Ok..so I didn't do a good XDA job by taking pictures of the work done inside the phone and I don't want to risk popping one of my corner snaps on the flexible back cover by reopening. I honestly didn't think anyone would want to try this...but I have posted some pictures of the after mod side profile of the phone.

So I will try and explain what I did...note DO NOT BLAME ME if you cut yourself, damage your screen, phone, desk or anything else. Do this at your own risk..

If you decide to do this upgrade I can tell you it is very simple if you take your time.

The base back cover is holding the speaker and antenna. It has about 2 cm of plastic where they stick on the speaker baffle..white sticker that you see after removing the flexible back cover.

Once you remove the 8-9 screws to remove the base back cover from the front LCD,motherboard etc you simply cut down the left and right side of this area by about .5 cm then with a sharp box cutter or blade cut a line that joins your left and right cuts..scribe this line a couple of times so that when you pull it back it will snap the extra plastic in a clean straight line.

By removing this extra .5 cm of plastic you will allow EB40 to fit into the phone better and allow for the base back cover to reinstall cleaner. Also the EB40 is shorter than the EB20 so once you installed the screws for the power connector of the battery push it down so that you have more space across the top of the battery box in the phone.

Carefully snap back in your base back cover securing the top screws by the speaker, flash camera first..do not over tighten..you are putting screws into plastic and can strip out the holes..

Once you got the base back cover back in test your phone speaker, flash, camera, power button and volume up down..once you know everything is good. reinstall the flexible back cover again starting from the top of the phone. This will allow it snap back into place and secure the battery inside the phone...

You are now done...again you can see from my pictures you can not tell it has a 3200 mAh battery installed..but can feel the additional weight.

The phone is now running and hold a charge like it should have been from day one..again I only need to figure out how to get the battery meter calibrated correctly to map the voltage to percentage...if someone to help me with this I would be grateful.
    EB40 Mod

ITake a look at the recent screen shot of my battery life. Yes that's right six days on a single charge. I love it..

Hopefully you do not have to do too much "surgery".

No time for all of the details but the battery was installed without to much trouble. Had to adjust some connections under the top of the housing (speaker, antenna and headphone jack) but its on just fine*. The main issues so far is that it doesnt show the correct battery level. When i get more time ill look into that but so far so good. Also, i pray this battery is worth a damn...never had good luck with ebay batteries but who knows.

*the battery is thicker which made these unable to make a pressure connections so i basically bent the pins up a bit and they worked great. On the speaker i took a piece of rubber to lift it a but to make it because the connections could not be manipulated.

Ill try to get some pics monday at work when i have more time...but for now its off to the zoo with the fam!!! :victory:

Seth
    EB40 Battery Mod

-Seal it back up

Diff 1-10 = 3
    Awesomeness 1-10 = 10