[Q] TWRP Not Installing

Search This thread

Tubifex

Jun 14, 2012
Utah
I have bootloaders unlocked, S-off, root and TWRP 2.7.0.0 installed. I am trying to install 2.7.1.0 but can't get it to install. TWPR manager says it did but really didn't. Any suggestions?

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Thanks that did the trick.

Glad you found the fix. In the future, I would avoid any apps that install recovery. They aren't necessary, and tend to cause more issues than they solve.

And as you have found, as long as you have adb setup (and if you are modding the phone, you should), installing recovery is as simple as putting the file in your fastboot folder and typing a single command.

And while not the issue in the particular case, its sometimes useful to wipe cache before flashing custom recovery. I have seen quite a few instances where flashing recovery fails repeatedly and was easily resolved simply by wiping cache:

fastboot erase cache

johnhazelwood

Oct 7, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5
New to the One M8, came from Galaxy S3, and feeling a little lost. I'm bootloader unlocked, s-off'd, custom recovery'd, and rooted but have a question. Can someone confirm the correct TWRP verison I should be using is for the M8 (GSM)? I flashed an older version of TWRP because it was referenced in an exact AT&T HTC One thread, but wanted to updated to 2.7.1.

Just want to confirm this is it: http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/225

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
New to the One M8, came from Galaxy S3, and feeling a little lost. I'm bootloader unlocked, s-off'd, custom recovery'd, and rooted but have a question. Can someone confirm the correct TWRP verison I should be using is for the M8 (GSM)? I flashed an older version of TWRP because it was referenced in an exact AT&T HTC One thread, but wanted to updated to 2.7.1.

That's correct. And you're not too lost if you did all that!

Reactions: johnhazelwood

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
Thanks! True, but was used to Odin. The terms here s-off (still not sure what that is) and RUU's (I believe factory images) are new to me.

Every manufacturer has its own idiosyncrasies; and in fact even every device (from the same manufacturer) is often different when rooting. For instance, I used HTC devices for years before getting a Sammy tablet, and had little or no idea what Odin was! So every device is going to have its learning curve (and even more so if switching brands).

S-on/off is an HTC specific flag. S-off means "security off" which is a mode intended for HTC engineers which in theory turns off all protections and safety checks on the device (and the reason its so valuable to modders).

RUU is "ROM Update Utility" which is an program that (as you surmised) installs or restores a complete device image including bootloader, radio, ROM, and other modules. Again, its an HTC specific thing.

Reactions: bugga214

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have bootloaders unlocked, S-off, root and TWRP 2.7.0.0 installed. I am trying to install 2.7.1.0 but can't get it to install. TWPR manager says it did but really didn't. Any suggestions?
    fastboot. Search (in the HTC One (M8) sections) for "fastboot flash recovery"

That's correct. And you're not too lost if you did all that!
    Thanks! True, but was used to Odin. The terms here s-off (still not sure what that is) and RUU's (I believe factory images) are new to me.

Every manufacturer has its own idiosyncrasies; and in fact even every device (from the same manufacturer) is often different when rooting. For instance, I used HTC devices for years before getting a Sammy tablet, and had little or no idea what Odin was! So every device is going to have its learning curve (and even more so if switching brands).

S-on/off is an HTC specific flag. S-off means "security off" which is a mode intended for HTC engineers which in theory turns off all protections and safety checks on the device (and the reason its so valuable to modders).

RUU is "ROM Update Utility" which is an program that (as you surmised) installs or restores a complete device image including bootloader, radio, ROM, and other modules. Again, its an HTC specific thing.