[Q] Asus TF101 Soft Brick Re-loop HELP!

Search This thread

roniinn

Jan 12, 2012
Hi everyone,
after days of researching this issue I'm finally at wits end. After installing the Playstore version of ROM Manager, my Asus has been stuck in CWM recovery mode with the inability to mount any drives. When I re-boot the tablet gets stuck on the load screen. I have tried several methods to flash the tablet using:

- NVFLASH
- EASY FLASHER
- FASTBOOT
- ONE CLICK RECOVERY
- ADB PUSH

The recurring issue that I seem to be encountering using these methods is that my PC recognizes the tablet in APX mode (I have tried both naked & usbpcdrivers) but the utility software does not. When I boot into recovery mode ADB recognizes my device but does not in APX mode. When I run NVFLASH while in APX mode my tablet gets disconnected from the PC and I receive a USB write error from NVFLASH.
Prior to the failure I successfully rooted my device using Baidu Root. At this point I don't even know how to power off the device as the only way to exit the loop is to boot into recovery or APX mode.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as my experience with these matters are limited.

Thanks

sidneyk

Nov 16, 2011
Bonner Springs, KS
Hi everyone,
after days of researching this issue I'm finally at wits end. After installing the Playstore version of ROM Manager, my Asus has been stuck in CWM recovery mode with the inability to mount any drives. When I re-boot the tablet gets stuck on the load screen. I have tried several methods to flash the tablet using:

- NVFLASH
- EASY FLASHER
- FASTBOOT
- ONE CLICK RECOVERY
- ADB PUSH

The recurring issue that I seem to be encountering using these methods is that my PC recognizes the tablet in APX mode (I have tried both naked & usbpcdrivers) but the utility software does not. When I boot into recovery mode ADB recognizes my device but does not in APX mode. When I run NVFLASH while in APX mode my tablet gets disconnected from the PC and I receive a USB write error from NVFLASH.
Prior to the failure I successfully rooted my device using Baidu Root. At this point I don't even know how to power off the device as the only way to exit the loop is to boot into recovery or APX mode.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as my experience with these matters are limited.

Thanks

First recommendation, stay away from ROM Manager, our device doesn't like it. You need to try and uninstall all usb drivers associated with tf101 and start over. I used the drivers from BRK's v.8 Tool Kit. You may need to find some newer adb files to swap out with his, but try first. To clean all the drivers may require connecting the tab to pc in different modes to even see some of the drivers, but see what's in Programs & Features - Remove function in Windows. You will also need the stock ROM downloaded from Asus site before you start. If you can get into recovery, then you should have an option in there to power off the device. If you get that far, then his tool has the nvflash pieces to start from scratch and get rooted and install an older custom recovery. Go with the CWM version there and, ultimately, change it out to the latest TWRP as soon as possible. Getting the drivers for Windows working is the hardest part, assuming everything else works. Conflicting USB drivers will be nothing but headaches, as you've found out.

Last edited:
Reactions: roniinn

roniinn

Jan 12, 2012
Hi,
just to be clear, when the tablet is in APX mode, is ADB supposed to be able to detect it when the adb devices command is used?

sidneyk

Nov 16, 2011
Bonner Springs, KS
Hi,
just to be clear, when the tablet is in APX mode, is ADB supposed to be able to detect it when the adb devices command is used?

I don't think so. It's like download mode on other Android devices. You should be able to access via adb in Android, with USB debugging enabled, or in some custom recoveries, my TWRP builds for one. I believe nvflash is the only method to communicate with APX mode.

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium HD app

Last edited:

roniinn

Jan 12, 2012
Hi,
I have re-installed drivers, but the PC still disconnects my tablet when running NVFLASH, I have read that a utility named WHEELIE might assist in unlocking the bootloader on my device allowing NVFLASH to run successfully. The problem is I can not locate the windows version of this file anywhere. All of the links point to a website named AndroidRoots, but the file seems to have been removed from the site.

Any Ideas where I can locate this program?

Thanks again.

sidneyk

Nov 16, 2011
Bonner Springs, KS
Hi,
I have re-installed drivers, but the PC still disconnects my tablet when running NVFLASH, I have read that a utility named WHEELIE might assist in unlocking the bootloader on my device allowing NVFLASH to run successfully. The problem is I can not locate the windows version of this file anywhere. All of the links point to a website named AndroidRoots, but the file seems to have been removed from the site.

Thanks again.

BRK's version 8 tool I referenced uses wheelie to cover all possible skus of tf101 and works well for me. As far as drivers, you have to make sure there's only one set installed for tf101.

roniinn

Jan 12, 2012
Does the wheelie script run automatically when I invoke the rootkit app, or do I have to manually run it from a CMD window?
Thanks for all your help,

sidneyk

Nov 16, 2011
Bonner Springs, KS
Does the wheelie script run automatically when I invoke the rootkit app, or do I have to manually run it from a CMD window?
Thanks for all your help,

It runs it where needed within a windows app interface, completely transparent once you start the program executable by double clicking it. You'll see a command window, but it just shows you the progress.

roniinn

Jan 12, 2012
Thanks for your help,
I have finally got my device up and running again.
My next step is to flash the new KatKiss ROM, can I do this using BRK's toolkit by substituting my stock rom file with the new one, or is it to better to install the new rom from recovery and external SD card?

sidneyk

Nov 16, 2011
Bonner Springs, KS
Thanks for your help,
My next step is to flash the new KatKiss ROM, can I do this using BRK's toolkit by substituting my stock rom file with the new one, or is it to better to install the new rom from recovery and external SD card?

I would just install it from recovery and ext sdcard, easier if you've already cleaned and repartitioned, etc with a stock rom.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everyone,

- NVFLASH
    - EASY FLASHER
    - FASTBOOT
    - ONE CLICK RECOVERY
    - ADB PUSH

Thanks

First recommendation, stay away from ROM Manager, our device doesn't like it. You need to try and uninstall all usb drivers associated with tf101 and start over. I used the drivers from BRK's v.8 Tool Kit. You may need to find some newer adb files to swap out with his, but try first. To clean all the drivers may require connecting the tab to pc in different modes to even see some of the drivers, but see what's in Programs & Features - Remove function in Windows. You will also need the stock ROM downloaded from Asus site before you start. If you can get into recovery, then you should have an option in there to power off the device. If you get that far, then his tool has the nvflash pieces to start from scratch and get rooted and install an older custom recovery. Go with the CWM version there and, ultimately, change it out to the latest TWRP as soon as possible. Getting the drivers for Windows working is the hardest part, assuming everything else works. Conflicting USB drivers will be nothing but headaches, as you've found out.
    Hi,

I don't think so. It's like download mode on other Android devices. You should be able to access via adb in Android, with USB debugging enabled, or in some custom recoveries, my TWRP builds for one. I believe nvflash is the only method to communicate with APX mode.

Hi,

Thanks again.

BRK's version 8 tool I referenced uses wheelie to cover all possible skus of tf101 and works well for me. As far as drivers, you have to make sure there's only one set installed for tf101.

Thanks for your help,

I would just install it from recovery and ext sdcard, easier if you've already cleaned and repartitioned, etc with a stock rom.