[Dissapointed] Fingerprint Sensor

Search This thread

marcviado

Aug 7, 2010
Las Vegas
I'm new to the S5 literally got this phone 2 days ago. So far I'm loving it everything is good..until I get to the fingerprint sensor. Anybody else Dissapointed on how unacurate this thing is? I like the idea of having it, but they need to fix it or update It somehow. 9/10 times I have to put my password in instead.

LeKtRiCzzz

Jan 8, 2011
I get mine to work with one hand 98% of the time and I can use 4 fingers rather than 3

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Free mobile app

cjranucci

Nov 7, 2007
Dallas, TX
I wish I could be disappointed. My work disables fingerprint security to access their network. I have to use pin or password.

cstayton

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 5, 2011
Waite Park, MN.
I'm new to the S5 literally got this phone 2 days ago. So far I'm loving it everything is good..until I get to the fingerprint sensor. Anybody else Dissapointed on how unacurate this thing is? I like the idea of having it, but they need to fix it or update It somehow. 9/10 times I have to put my password in instead.

The quality of the fingerprint makes a huge difference. My wife works in a pretty caustic environment and her fingers get kinda mucked up, nothing we can do will make it work for her. However, it works flawlessly for me.

Another issues is the limited size of the actual scanner makes it dificult to read the fingerprint acurately

nicetucu

Mar 10, 2014
Salem, Oregon
For the life of me can't get the finger print scanner to work well at all. I tried three different times setting it up with very low success rate lol.

Finally just do a swipe pattern out of shear frustration. I would love to do it one handed with my left thumb and tried to set it up this way to no avail.

I have better success if I hold it with left hand and swipe with pointer on right hand. Swipe pattern is so much easier with a 100% success rate.

djmouse

Dec 12, 2012
atlantic city
Works for me every time, youhave 3 finger prints you can asign, use the thumb you unlock for all three doing them in different angles, even switch the angle up on every swipe when setting one print up, figure out the motion you would normally use to unlock it and try setting it up that way.I actually set my right thumb up for 2 of the the 3rd I used my left thumb just in case I'm holding the phone in my left hand, but you don't need to swipe your thumb vertically down, as long as your swiping the whole button it should be good, start with your thumb horizontal and move it a little counter clockwise each time till set up is done.works lawless for me unless I'm at work and my finger is dirty, witch is good because it knows, it's very accurate if set up properly., hope that helps

SENT FROM DJMOUSES SM-G900A

Last edited:

delawaredrew

Dec 13, 2010
Olympia, WA
Works for me every time, youhave 3 finger prints you can asign, use the thumb you unlock for all three doing them in different angles, even switch the angle up on every swipe when setting one print up, figure out the motion you would normally use to unlock it and try setting it up that way.I actually set my right thumb up for 2 of the the 3rd I used my left thumb just in case I'm holding the phone in my left hand, but you don't need to swipe your thumb vertically down, as long as your swiping the whole button it should be good, start with your thumb horizontal and move it a little counter clockwise each time till set up is done.works lawless for me unless I'm at work and my finger is dirty, witch is good because it knows, it's very accurate if set up properly., hope that helps

I've tried numerous times to set it up but it rarely works for me. I had to enter password so many times I disabled it all together. I'll admit that my fingers are frequently roughened or cut at work but even using fingers on my left (non-dominant) hand which are relatively unscathed only gets me success once in awhile.
Maybe it is just not usable for those who work with their hands, bummer as it seemed promising. I rarely had any lock on other devices and thought this might be a lock I could use.

djmouse

Dec 12, 2012
atlantic city
Try again it works , good too, 9 outa 10 times for me,I'm a union electrical so my fingers are always getting cuts and scratches, blisters from spinning wire nuts. Try setting it up like I suggested use your thumb horizontal to the phone or like 45 degree angle like you would if you were doing it one handed, then turn on your power key to lock your phone instantly so you can test it without waiting for screen to time out to lock.

delawaredrew

Dec 13, 2010
Olympia, WA
Try again it works , good too, 9 outa 10 times for me,I'm a union electrical so my fingers are always getting cuts and scratches, blisters from spinning wire nuts. Try setting it up like I suggested use your thumb horizontal to the phone or like 45 degree angle like you would if you were doing it one handed, then turn on your power key to lock your phone instantly so you can test it without waiting for screen to time out to lock.

Trying again. Results are better - if I swipe slowly it gets most attempts but not every time. I'll try it for a day and see if I improve, maybe it is more sensitive to angle and velocity than I am. That may improve as I repeat the movement enough to get used to it. However security isn't a large concern so I'm not too upset; it's primarily just the usual annoyance when something doesn't work for me.

Maybe I am just I am expecting too much, do you have to swipe pretty slowly?