GT-I9300 Incorrect IMEI, No EFS Backup.

Search This thread

D4 BCK

Aug 5, 2014
Right I'm really sorry to have to burden all you lovely helpful people with this, as I know there's dozens of threads, of which I have sifted and sifted through for the past 2 days. Most of them have been helpful and I am now 95% fixed, but here is the down low:

Mid-last week, I finally decided to stick a custom rom on my old, laggy Galaxy S3. Up until this point I had been running on stock 4.1.2 Firmware, rooted, with things like Bloatfree cleaning the device up a bit.
I did some research and landed on the latest Paranoid Android build, based on 4.4.4. All was rosey for a little under a week with no problems whatsoever until this Monday afternoon. I was doing nothing other than opening Snapchat when my S3 turned itself off, only to get stuck on the bootscreen.
It took me all day yesterday just to get the thing to boot again, I must of tried 4 different stock roms, searching for ages to find CWM that would flash via Odin and any fix just to get it past boot. After finally getting it into Recovery it kindly let me know that "E:Failed to Mount /EFS".
Since that happened I have managed to get the phone booted up into a stock 4.3 rom, exited factory mode and got it rooted with busy box and terminal. It has become a WiFi-only Tablet, essentially.

I am at the last hurdle, where I have no network connectivity and my IMEI is wrong. I of course have my correct IMEI on the back of the phone which I wish to reintroduce to the phone. I do not have an EFS backup.

TL;DR
  • Phone on Stock 4.3 ROM SGS3INT-XXUGMK6-BTU-20131216, rooted with busy box, root explorer and terminal. Always had stock kernel.
  • IMEI incorrect, with no backup of EFS.

I have tried:
  • EFS Professional - EFS Format errors on mount read/write
  • NVitems_reader_writer, though I can not get my device to stay in RMNET + DM + MODEM mode to be able to connect via COM port as a serial device.
  • A few of the other simpler methods from the forums

Any help is much appreciated, and while I have read that modifying the IMEI number is frowned upon and illegal practice, I am simply trying to restore it to it's original state, no tom foolery here.

Regards

Dan

boomboomer

Jun 30, 2010
Take it to a repair centre, they can recode it for a small charge. Make sure it works on 4.3 before you pay them.

D4 BCK

Aug 5, 2014
Take it to a repair centre, they can recode it for a small charge. Make sure it works on 4.3 before you pay them.

Unfortunately I have tried that with every local shop, and they don't seem to think they can do anything about it, and there is no other official Samsung repair centres nearby! Seems like a problem that independents don't come across too often.

ZeeX

Jan 6, 2014
Kirkuk
www.android4iraq.net
On the methods you've tried you've stated this "A few of the other simpler methods from the forums",
Does this mean you tried flashing the latest modem.bin for your device through Odin or through the recovery?

D4 BCK

Aug 5, 2014
On the methods you've tried you've stated this "A few of the other simpler methods from the forums",
Does this mean you tried flashing the latest modem.bin for your device through Odin or through the recovery?

I have tried flashing an XXEMG4 modem onto it and unfortunately hasn't made any difference. My IMEI is currently posted as one of the generic 0049 numbers when *#06# is dialed.

As far as I can tell, my best bet would be finding a way to get the serial port working through NVitem_reader_writer, as I have generated my correct IMEI file to add to the phone, but it won't successfully switch to RMNET + DM + MODEM to be able to connect to my computer in that way!

Dan

D4 BCK

Aug 5, 2014
I have tried flashing an XXEMG4 modem onto it and unfortunately hasn't made any difference. My IMEI is currently posted as one of the generic 0049 numbers when *#06# is dialed.

As far as I can tell, my best bet would be finding a way to get the serial port working through NVitem_reader_writer, as I have generated my correct IMEI file to add to the phone, but it won't successfully switch to RMNET + DM + MODEM to be able to connect to my computer in that way!

Dan

Is there a driver I could be missing for it to connect as a USB modem instead of a serial port when trying this?

Dan

zlocko

Aug 7, 2014
I have a similar problem, efs restored, imei is showing right but cant get any signal, saying emergency calls only. After flashing stock.

D4 BCK

Aug 5, 2014
Well, after 3 different phone shops and 2 gruelling weeks, the phone is back in action.

I gave very detailed notes on everything I did to the 3rd guy and he eventually managed to get it working again for a nice £15.

I'm unsure if he did anything else, but for anyone who ends up with this problem in the future, rolling the latest stock ROM will not always work. My phone was successfully recovered by rolling back all the way to 4.0.4. I'm sorry I can't give more information as I've already rooted and stuck SlimROM on it to get it back to how I like it, though this time I have been clever enough to actually create a proper full nandroid backup. I had done a backup before, but in my relative noobness years ago it was not a full backup.

Darke5tShad0w

Nov 18, 2013
TheXboxCast
Well, after 3 different phone shops and 2 gruelling weeks, the phone is back in action.

I gave very detailed notes on everything I did to the 3rd guy and he eventually managed to get it working again for a nice £15.

I'm unsure if he did anything else, but for anyone who ends up with this problem in the future, rolling the latest stock ROM will not always work. My phone was successfully recovered by rolling back all the way to 4.0.4. I'm sorry I can't give more information as I've already rooted and stuck SlimROM on it to get it back to how I like it, though this time I have been clever enough to actually create a proper full nandroid backup. I had done a backup before, but in my relative noobness years ago it was not a full backup.

A nandroid does not back up the efs unless you are using philz or twrp and you specifically tell it to. There is no way in CWM.
Not sure if you new that or not since you said a full backup but just thought I would pipe in just incase so you don't have troubles next time.

Last edited:

risvegliare

Dec 4, 2014

hey, i have this similar problem right now. So, what i have to do is rolling back all the way to 4.0.4? will it work? but i haven't coded the right IMEI.. do i have to? btw when you have that failed to mount efs, did you use the tutorial that uses adb shell and mke2fs?

vuli111

Mar 3, 2015

Dan

Hi everybody,

I am trying the same, changing imei by using nv items reader. I have the problem that i got a phone from a friend that has a 0049 IMEI, I dont know what he or someone else did to that phone to kill the imei.

The phone: Galaxy S3 I9300
Buildnumber: JSS15J.I9300XXUGNG3 (Android 4.3)
Baseband: I9300XXUGNA8
Rooted with Odin using CF-Auto-Root-m0-m0xx-gti9300

I am stuck at the same part, i cant get the phone in rmnet + dm + modem mode. what I did is: *#0808# - tip "RMNET + DM + MODEM" - tip "OK" - it says "8 saved!" (but it is not saved, when i go into the *#0808# it switched back to MTP)

When i do this when the phone is connected to my computer there is an unplug sound and a plug sound. So I think the phone tries to get in RMNET + DM + MODEM mode but it does not get it. I can activate all other Modes shown in this menu, only the one i need does not get activated.

What can I do to access this mode?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Darke5tShad0w

Nov 18, 2013
TheXboxCast
Hi everybody,

I am trying the same, changing imei by using nv items reader. I have the problem that i got a phone from a friend that has a 0049 IMEI, I dont know what he or someone else did to that phone to kill the imei.

The phone: Galaxy S3 I9300
Buildnumber: JSS15J.I9300XXUGNG3 (Android 4.3)
Baseband: I9300XXUGNA8
Rooted with Odin using CF-Auto-Root-m0-m0xx-gti9300

I am stuck at the same part, i cant get the phone in rmnet + dm + modem mode. what I did is: *#0808# - tip "RMNET + DM + MODEM" - tip "OK" - it says "8 saved!" (but it is not saved, when i go into the *#0808# it switched back to MTP)

When i do this when the phone is connected to my computer there is an unplug sound and a plug sound. So I think the phone tries to get in RMNET + DM + MODEM mode but it does not get it. I can activate all other Modes shown in this menu, only the one i need does not get activated.

What can I do to access this mode?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Discussion is against the rules, and also illegal.

boomboomer

Jun 30, 2010
Changing imei, which what your post stated, is illegal -don't ask for help here.

Take it to a repair centre and pay them to restore your efs folder.

vuli111

Mar 3, 2015
I did not ask for help to change the imei.

I asked for help to get in the rmnet mode. Is this illegal too??