Build.prop faster data speeds [Solved]

Search This thread

mikeschevelle

Dec 27, 2007
whats the path to follow in root explorer?

Also as you mentioned in the OP, camera, ect wasnt working, is this the case if I just adust the settings through root exp??

MentalDeath

Apr 6, 2010
Ontario
I noticed a large increase ~6Mbps to ~10Mbps. However I noticed a change in the servers that the app selected (it chose a closer server after the build.prop was edited). So then I selected the same one that was chosen for the first trials before any changes. After the same servers were used there was little to no increase since the slight increases in speed could be caused by the network signal strength. The avg download speed stayed relatively the same, and the avg upload speed dropped. I only did 5 before and 5 after trials.

asesino

Jun 13, 2010
I did some like this when I had a mytouch and the speeds improved significantly will give this a shot.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk

codey895

Mar 2, 2011
hull
Anyone want to explain what each category does.. is like to play around with these numbers myself.

Sent from my HTC Ruby using XDA App

G

glacierguy

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1329608010124.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1329608010124.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 692

Jms122589

Jun 3, 2011
Elk river MN
I feel that these settings should be stickied or.something I started doing this whenever I.flash a tom and my data speeds have gone up significantly. I'm on 4g a whole lot more getting actual 4g speeds

Sent from my HTC Amaze 4G using xda premium

Ashcunak

ya, wow, i dont think wind's network in canada is up to par yet with anyone else, i get no real difference when i did these sorta changes on my amaze or back on my N1 before this phone i never had any changes either.... random peaks of around 4.0 down and max peaks of 0.36 up. before and after the changes. Mostly it appears to be a peering issue, any speed test sites near me (in calgary).. while the american ones and the one in edmonton are decent and randomly vancouver is good..

oh well the change is made for future updates to winds network incase they happen..

i get 18mbs with stock. i dont know why you would do this.

Yeah, 18-20 is about max In Arizona. I got 22 a couple times. Average is probably 15 stock.
wow good for you guys, but obviously not everyone is on the same network all the time, and probably there are a lot of people who don't live in AZ that might find this useful... just because something isn't useful to you, doesn't mean it's useless...

smh

Feb 1, 2011
Arizona
wow good for you guys, but obviously not everyone is on the same network all the time, and probably there are a lot of people who don't live in AZ that might find this useful... just because something isn't useful to you, doesn't mean it's useless...

smh

Well just a corroboration on my part. Never used the word useless. Especially not in bold.

Mafioso

Nov 13, 2007
Pune
Ok, I changed the settings on my phone through root explorer and fixed permissions from CWM lateron.

I got roughly about 0.5mbps speed increase, from 5mpbs to 5.5mpbs for download. This is in Boston, MA. Also the test were done at same place and same server and within 4-5 minutes of each other to minimize the chance of speed varying due to signal variation.

I can't say for sure though, if the speed increase is because of settings or just random, its not big increase either..

Nshih422

Jul 24, 2010
Arizona
Ok, I changed the settings on my phone through root explorer and fixed permissions from CWM lateron.

I got roughly about 0.5mbps speed increase, from 5mpbs to 5.5mpbs for download. This is in Boston, MA. Also the test were done at same place and same server and within 4-5 minutes of each other to minimize the chance of speed varying due to signal variation.

I can't say for sure though, if the speed increase is because of settings or just random, its not big increase either..

Typically what you want to do is run multiple tests before and after applying the tweak, and take averages and/or max and min speeds for best results. Just for future reference :)

Mafioso

Nov 13, 2007
Pune
Typically what you want to do is run multiple tests before and after applying the tweak, and take averages and/or max and min speeds for best results. Just for future reference :)

Ok did the test multiple times before and after the tweak with multiple servers from my workplace, the speed average is about the same..
Also for me, I was getting problem with area of low coverage, like in the train the signal is usually less (it still 4g though) but still Pandora play's fine with more load time normally...however yesterday and today morning when I had the tweak on, it was really struggling, I don't know if it was because of the tweak or just random..

LNKNPRKFN

Dec 16, 2010
BRAMPTON
can someone please post the actual permmision settings ijust want to make sure my permissions are correct after "fixing permissions"

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Some clarification on why this may or may not work for you.

Essentially what you are doing is telling the phone to connect to networks using a certain class. Our device the Amaze has a maximum of speed of 42.2 Mbps on HSPA+. However this does not mean you will get those speeds. Your network itself has to be capable and allow high speed connections. These are categorized as "category". For example Mobilicity's network has a theoretical maximum of 21.1, this a category 14 HSDPA connection. Oddly enough OP is recommending setting this to category 28, even though the Amaze can only support up to 24.

As for the other settings, there is a lack of information whether or not they are accurate, but I highly doubt that the HSUPA category should be set to 7, it is likely a 5, or a very slim chance at a 6. The GPRS setting is useless for users on AWS networks like T-Mobile, Wind and Mobilicity.

Also, to explain why speed test can be inconsistent and the random server selections.
    Most if not all networks APN settings enforce the usage of a proxy. On certain carriers, such as mobilicty this is not required and can be manually removed. What happens is that when you use your data, it proxies the connection to wherever the proxy is located. For example on Mobilicity the proxy server is located in Ontario. So in practice, with the proxy enabled, a speedtest to a server in Ontario is faster than one to a server in my present location. However if I remove the proxy from the APN settings, I get lowered latency (ping) and higher speeds to a local server. Of course when removing something things can happen and on Mobilicity, the payment.mobilicity.ca site is broken.

Your mileage may very.

tl:dr OP is making our phones connect on unsupported connection standards giving us a 50/50 chance on improvement.
    Hello, I make some changes in the build.prop file for the HTC Amaze 4G.

I get faster data speeds, the changes was:

ro.ril.gprsclass=12
    ro.ril.hsdpa.category=28
    ro.ril.hsupa.category=7
    ro.ril.hsxpa=4

Extract build.prop with droid explorer for windows, modify the values above and then:

"ADB remount"

"ADB push c:\build.prop /system/"

finish with:

"ADB reboot" (twice)

But after that modification, programs like skype and oovoo doesn´t work the video conference, no camera was detected.

Any ideas, to resolve the camera problems?? :mad:

Problem Solved:

I put it the new build.prop inside the folder system from the original rom *.zip and then flash the rom. Speed changes acording the network signal and place, there are no constants.
    can i just got to root explorer back up the original one and then edit this on it and then fix permissions and reboot?
    Anyone want to explain what each category does.. is like to play around with these numbers myself.

Sent from my HTC Ruby using XDA App

+1 would like this too to mess with my phone as well