Verizon Moto X on T-mobile

Search This thread

themogul

Mar 26, 2010
Hi,

Currently with Big Red but will switch to "someone" once contract is up 3rd qtr next year. Most probably because of the the price and I am sick of VZ dropping back to 3G most of the time where I am.

If I get a Verizon Moto X can I later use that on TMobile. And/rather, a Verizon Moto X can be used on which carriers - all or none :confused:

much appreciated.

supr2nr

Apr 1, 2010
If it's a developer edition then "I believe" you could use it on sprint. T-Mobile is a GSM carrier and since the only option on the CDMA phones is for global GSM for international travel that you will likely not get it to work. They don't have the radios in it to work on T-mobile. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

mawells787

Feb 27, 2011
New York
Hi,

Currently with Big Red but will switch to "someone" once contract is up 3rd qtr next year. Most probably because of the the price and I am sick of VZ dropping back to 3G most of the time where I am.

If I get a Verizon Moto X can I later use that on TMobile. And/rather, a Verizon Moto X can be used on which carriers - all or none :confused:

much appreciated.

This has been covered before yes it will. Verizon moto x is ( might be wrong) the only phone that is Sim unlocked besides T-Mobile and gsm developer edition. Tmobile Sim should work just fine.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2442735

Sent from my XT1060 using xda app-developers app

nethead25

Dec 25, 2010
I put a prepaid T-Mobile sim into my Dev Verizon Moto X, and I get good LTE speeds.

Just seconding that I put a T-Mobile SIM in to my VZW dev edition Moto X (4.4), and it was SIM unlocked as expected, but also had good LTE signal, indicating that Band 4 is definitely enabled on these phones, contrary to published specs. Good news!

scottjb

Sep 11, 2010
Greensboro, NC
Can you make phone calls and send text messages with a T-Mo SIM in a VZW phone? Seems as if a CDMA phone would not work on a GSM network for calls and texts.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

SupaSwag

Feb 13, 2012
Can you make phone calls and send text messages with a T-Mo SIM in a VZW phone? Seems as if a CDMA phone would not work on a GSM network for calls and texts.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Yes. I haven't done it with the Moto X yet, but I did it without issue previously with both the Verizon S4 and LG G2. It's part of an FCC agreement when Verizon got LTE. It's basically GSM unlocked. Data, text, and calls work.

Sent from my XT1060

folsom68

Jul 14, 2010
I made a call to verify it works, and I received text messages from T-Mobile.

I also didn't have to add APNs, it seemed to figure them out.

Last edited:

Kittiesoncrack

Aug 11, 2012
Chicago
Sprint won't work. Cause most of the CDMA bands and LTE bands are different.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 08:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 PM ----------

But I'm pretty sure T-Mobile will cause it is Sim unlocked

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
If it's a developer edition then "I believe" you could use it on sprint. T-Mobile is a GSM carrier and since the only option on the CDMA phones is for global GSM for international travel that you will likely not get it to work. They don't have the radios in it to work on T-mobile. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes, you are wrong. It does work with either a "retail" Verizon phone, or developer edition.

The big misconception is that since Verizon uses CDMA for voice and sms, that their phones only work on CDMA. This is NOT True.

Because Verizon's 4G LTE phones are "global" they support the same GSM/GPRS/Edge bands as ATT and T-Mobile for voice and data so they can be used globally on GSM carrier networks. Another little plus is that due to the FCC rules around their 700Mhz spectrum, they are SIM unlocked, so they happen to work with ATT and T-Mobile sim inserted. Since ATT uses the same bands for HSPA and HSPA+ as they do for EDGE, you can get HSPA speeds. In areas where T-Mobile's "network modernization" has refarmed their 1900Mhz edge to HSPA, you'll get HSPA speeds. In Tmobile areas that HSPA is still over AWS, you'll fall back to Edge when trying Verizon branded devices.

Using both developer and "retail" variants of the Verizon Moto X, I have inserted my T-Mobile SIM and had it work after setting the phones to "global". I've done the same with my iPhone 5, iPhone 5S, Blackberry Z10, Q10, Nokia Lumia 928, and Samsung Galaxy S4 and Note 3. Some of the phones, like the Z10 and 928 only gave me EDGE speeds the last time I tried them. The X and S4 have given me HSPA. T-Mobile recently rolled out LTE here, as putting the T-Mo Sim in my VZW iPhne 5S last week gave me T-Mo LTE for the first time. When i get time I'll have to go back and test my other devices again to see what they do.

With recent firmware updates on my X, note 3 and Galaxy S4, I have had to manually enter T-Mobile APN settings to get them to work.
Yes it does work as long as the APN settings come down automatically to your phone, or you manually enter the correct APN settings.

On a side note... some have asked if you can do the same with a Sprint phone (since they are cdma based too). The answer is..I don't know for sure, but it really depends. I haven't looked into the sprint phones to know their "global roaming" capabilities, and what radios and frequencies their devices support. I guess as long as their phones support the quad band GSM frequencies and are (or can be) SIM Unlocked, then you can do the same with Sprint phones to get at least Edge speeds. HSPA and LTE would again depend on the frequencies the sprint phones support, and the target carrier network uses.

Last edited:
Reactions: hugh a and dhoppy

themogul

Mar 26, 2010
Thank you everybody!!!

This is excellent info and more importantly very good details. I am very grateful...

Time to the Moto X with orange accents now :D

SOMFW

Mar 30, 2010
Hi,

much appreciated.

I put a T-mobile SIM in my stock 16GB Verizon Moto x. Here is what works and doesn't.

First off, 4G works! in the South Jersey area and it is Blistering fast, I have exceeded 40MB speed test downloads twice, Several in the high 30s and I am avg in mid 20s. Uploads are averaging 20+/- . Compared to Verizon this is like comparing Fios to 1999 era dial up. the best I ever got on Verizon 4G was 14 download but average between 4 and 9 !
The Network notification switches a lot between 4G, "H" mode, whatever that is, just bars and another which I didn't catch quick enough to read ?
Battery has been amazing compared to my galaxy Nexus, I got 7.5 hours of Actual "Screen on Time" which included some GPS use and an hour of music streaming total phone up time was 34+ hours. How long it will perform like this is anyone's guess, today i got about 6.5 of Screen on time. I hope this inst a trend

Now for the bad news - Using it as a Phone. Incoming calls are fine but, making outgoing is a Pain in the A$$.
When I dial a number, (which is a hassle on this KitKat dialer) it often goes to the home screen or back to the dialer. The Call Fails. I am not sure if my dialer is buggy or its a compatibility problem. the KitKat Dialer on the Moto X is an exorcise in futility. Google are you listening? Why reinvent the wheel. All I want in my Dialer is a Number Pad! and a phone book.

When I Open dialer I see Recent calls up top, the whole middle section says all contacts and is otherwise blank, the bottom has the number pad icon, History and settings dots.
Clicking the number pad icon enlarges the bottom section, which then goes all white and removes the three icons. I have to then click the back arrow and re-click the number pad icon to bring it up the actual dialer. .
At this time I can dial. and then the call always fails on the first attempt. Sometimes it takes several attempts to go through.
When I click send on the dialer the 4G disappears and I am left with just the bars. they come back when call is done but sometimes take a few minutes to do so.
If you Kill the dialer app or swipe it away, coming back to it you will have the same issues when trying to get the number pad (two attempts) if you dont, the number pad will open on first attempt. but the calls will still fail on the first try.

I also cant use the internet when in a call, whether WiFi is on or off. Is this a T-mobile problem? I could use the net in Verizon when in a call when on 4G or WiFi

The Data is set to global mode but I have tried both the other settings. On boot up I get a warning saying the SIM is not recognized which I just swipe away.
I am also having this problem. After making a call, the music player and the phones "volume" aspects cease to work., Meaning, I get no sound out of the phone, Music, notifications alarms etc.. This happens almost every time and the only fix is a reboot

I disabled all Verizon Bloat and a lot of Moto Bloat as well This could be causing some of the bugs? But i have tested several different configurations all with the same outcomes.

Hope this helps and puts an end to the - Will it work or not questions. There seem to be a lot of Net Know it all's that flat out say a Verizon Moto x wont work with a T-Mobile SIM or some other undocumented "fact"

nethead25

Dec 25, 2010
I have the same issues as SOMFW. Disabling LTE resolves all these problems, so it seems like it's an issue with the LTE-to-2G/3G fallback for phone calls.

When I force it into HSPA+, I have both simultaneous voice and data and no dialing issues.

SOMFW

Mar 30, 2010
I have the same issues as SOMFW. Disabling LTE resolves all these problems, so it seems like it's an issue with the LTE-to-2G/3G fallback for phone calls.

When I force it into HSPA+, I have both simultaneous voice and data and no dialing issues.

How did you disable 4G? or Force it into HSPA+? Is there a setting I am missing?

Somebody else mentioned Manually adding T-Mobile APN is this something you did?
On My Moto,x when using the Vz SIM there is an APN labeled Verizon that appears on its own, On the TM SIM it was blank
Also, while on the TM SIM under About Phone / Status My phone number doesn't show, On the Vz SIM it is there and the Dialer works fine. But I still get the Dialer Bug, which is, When I click the Keypad icon the bottom area goes blank and I have to hit the back button and repeat it. This only happens if I swipe the dialer out of running apps list, Force close it or haven't used it for several hours.
Any Ideas?

nethead25

Dec 25, 2010
How did you disable 4G? or Force it into HSPA+? Is there a setting I am missing?

Somebody else mentioned Manually adding T-Mobile APN is this something you did?
On My Moto,x when using the Vz SIM there is an APN labeled Verizon that appears on its own, On the TM SIM it was blank
Also, while on the TM SIM under About Phone / Status My phone number doesn't show, On the Vz SIM it is there and the Dialer works fine. But I still get the Dialer Bug, which is, When I click the Keypad icon the bottom area goes blank and I have to hit the back button and repeat it. This only happens if I swipe the dialer out of running apps list, Force close it or haven't used it for several hours.
Any Ideas?

These are the steps I used to turn off LTE and enable HSPA:

1) Download/install the app LTE OnOff
2) Change Mobile Network type in Settings to LTE / GSM / UMTS
3) On LTE OnOff, hit the Three-Dot menu in the top right, and select "Select radio band"
4) Select USA Band
5) Hit the Turn Off Radio button
6) Select GSM auto (PRL) under Preferred Network Type
7) Turn On Radio

The phone should show no data for a second, then 3G, then eventually an H for HSPA will be displayed.

You can also try GSM only or WCDMA preferred if GSM auto doesn't work.

Still trying to figure out how to get LTE to play nice with it.

Gtech145

May 18, 2010
Delaware
There is a known LTE bug that causes this issue in 4.4. Check aracanexvi's thread in the Droid Ultra section. Basically we will need to leave LTE off of you want to make calls reliably.

Sent from my XT1080 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 10:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 AM ----------

Would be easier if I just shared the thread
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2591954

4.4 and Non-VZW carriers
Sent from my XT1080 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

mailxd

Aug 3, 2012
Using Verizon Moto X (locked Verizon retail) on ATT should be as good as using it on Tmobile, assuming I don't need LTE ?

Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yes, you are wrong. It does work with either a "retail" Verizon phone, or developer edition.

The big misconception is that since Verizon uses CDMA for voice and sms, that their phones only work on CDMA. This is NOT True.

Because Verizon's 4G LTE phones are "global" they support the same GSM/GPRS/Edge bands as ATT and T-Mobile for voice and data so they can be used globally on GSM carrier networks. Another little plus is that due to the FCC rules around their 700Mhz spectrum, they are SIM unlocked, so they happen to work with ATT and T-Mobile sim inserted. Since ATT uses the same bands for HSPA and HSPA+ as they do for EDGE, you can get HSPA speeds. In areas where T-Mobile's "network modernization" has refarmed their 1900Mhz edge to HSPA, you'll get HSPA speeds. In Tmobile areas that HSPA is still over AWS, you'll fall back to Edge when trying Verizon branded devices.

Using both developer and "retail" variants of the Verizon Moto X, I have inserted my T-Mobile SIM and had it work after setting the phones to "global". I've done the same with my iPhone 5, iPhone 5S, Blackberry Z10, Q10, Nokia Lumia 928, and Samsung Galaxy S4 and Note 3. Some of the phones, like the Z10 and 928 only gave me EDGE speeds the last time I tried them. The X and S4 have given me HSPA. T-Mobile recently rolled out LTE here, as putting the T-Mo Sim in my VZW iPhne 5S last week gave me T-Mo LTE for the first time. When i get time I'll have to go back and test my other devices again to see what they do.

With recent firmware updates on my X, note 3 and Galaxy S4, I have had to manually enter T-Mobile APN settings to get them to work.
    Yes it does work as long as the APN settings come down automatically to your phone, or you manually enter the correct APN settings.

On a side note... some have asked if you can do the same with a Sprint phone (since they are cdma based too). The answer is..I don't know for sure, but it really depends. I haven't looked into the sprint phones to know their "global roaming" capabilities, and what radios and frequencies their devices support. I guess as long as their phones support the quad band GSM frequencies and are (or can be) SIM Unlocked, then you can do the same with Sprint phones to get at least Edge speeds. HSPA and LTE would again depend on the frequencies the sprint phones support, and the target carrier network uses.
    Thank you very much for sharing your steps, you fixed my phone! I was about to eBay this little bugger after spending 30 minutes with Motorola Support via chat. They told me the following statements (I changed the names, but everything else is verbatim). Maybe this was their idea of an April Fool's Day joke:

Lol, the Verizon version is a CDMA/LTE/GSM world phone. It doesn't have AWS bands for UMTS/HSPA but that doesn't matter if you are in areas where they've refarmed PCS to 3G, such as where I live.

I finally got LTE data and UMTS/HSPA voice working flawlessly with 4.4.2 on Tmobile by flashing the Tmobile factory firmware with RSD on my Verizon Dev edition Moto X. Before that I had to disable LTE completely to get data to work, even after fixing the APN. I wouldn't have tried this normally, but I was getting tired of only having HSPA+ data service.

I modified the XML used with RSD to NOT flash the boot loader just in case they were different between the 2 models. I did flash the modem and everything else. Do so at your own risk!!!

Hope this helps someone!

edit: I just went back and read you exchange with Moto support and I can only say :facepalm:.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
    Success in SoCal

I have had similar issues of not connecting to the TMO network when I got my Moto X from Motorola. While under 4.4.0, after playing with some settings I was successful while using the following Settings UNDER Mobilel Network Settings:
    Data enable: √ (checked on)
    Preferred Network Type: LTE/GSM/UMTS (do not use Global)
    Access Point Names (leave it blank) it will be pulled over the air automagically [I will try to enter the APN once I know the LTE APN from TMO]
    Network Operators: (selecte it and it will search for the available Networks, use TMO if you are using TMO's sim or ATT if using ATTm sim)
    Select Network: UMTS only

Obviously, this applies to a Retail Verizon MotoX that comes automatically unlocked. No need to call the carrier.

One very interesting point, while under KitKat 4.4.0, I was able to reach 4G LTE, it would have the logo on the top right corner. I tested the speed (using speedtest.net) and when near to a cell tower, I would achieve speeds in excess of 25Mb!!!! using TMO's network. On the average around Los Angeles, I was getting 8Mb which is good. HOWEVER, once I upgraded to 4.4.2, I ONLY see the H+ signal and my average speeds have come down to 6Mb. I guess something must have happen with the 4.4.2. upgrade.

The voice and text issues, I did not test, since I use GoogleVoice EXCLUSIVELY for all my calls and since said services uses the internet for all functions of calling and texting, I have not had a problem. So it may help in using Google voice to make calls is necessary.

I hope the this info helps. Ciao.
    ~ Z :cowboy:
    I'm a newbie when it comes to flashing ROM's. Do I simply follow the steps here, and make sure to delete two lines (the one with getvar, and the other with motoboot)?

I'm on a Mac, but I've got access to a virtualized copy of Windows 7, Vista, and 8. People mentioned driver issues in Windows 8—do such issues exist in 7 or Vista?

That's correct. I'm not sure about the driver issues you're referring to, but I used a windows 7 machine. A VM should be fine.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
    Question...
    My VZ Moto X has an unlocked bootloader... This doesn't mean I'm free to flash anything though right? The ROM still has to be compatible with the Verizon variant?

My question, now that I'm using a Verizon Phone on T-Mobile is, could I flash a T-Mobile ROM? Or would that brick my device?
    How does that work?

Be absolutely sure you don't downgrade and you will be fine.

We don't normally advise to flash another carriers ROM, because it is too easy to accidentally downgrade.

T mobile is on 4.4.3, so do not flash that if your vzw ROM is already on 4.4.4 or you can/will brick.

You might consider using the "stock flashable tmo ROM" in the android Dev sub forum. That is the only one you can safely flash if you are already on 4.4.4.

The reason it is safe is because it ONLY includes /system and /boot and therefore you are not downgrading the partition table or bootloader.

It must be flashed with twrp recovery. Follow the instructions in the original post of that thread.

It is located here: http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/development/rom-stock-flashable-t-mobile-t2773675

Also, you MUST disable ota updates or you will brick when the next T-Mobile ota update is released. Only applies to the rom linked above.

Always take great care with ota updates once you have changed firmware. My recommendation is to never take ota updates. Instead, wait for a new safe flashable ROM to be released.