Moto X 4.4.3 "Improved Camera Quality" Claims True?

Search This thread

Bionic22

Jun 17, 2013
So can anyone confirm or deny this?

I don't believe I have any images to take a picture of now and compare with side by side.

If anyone has any to provide, please do so. :good:

Reactions: Neogx

aadi007

May 22, 2014
^ Thanks guys..
I have experience with Nexus 5 but have never used a Moto X.
I am not looking for the best camera smartphone but Nexus 5 camera is good enuff for me.... I use my DSLR when I need better performance or quality.
So, its reassuring to know what Moto X camera is at par with N5..
I was confused whether to get a N5 or MotoX ,, I m more inclined towards the Moto :)

devilsdouble

Nov 26, 2013
New Delhi
Hold on, isn't Nexus 5's camera pretty awful? After using the S4 for pretty long I can say it has an okay camera, a very good for a mobile phone's perspective though. S4 is leaps and bounds ahead of N5 right?

I think the Moto X sits in between them?

DBBGBA

Apr 9, 2010
New York
Looks like now we are close to N5. Neither Moto X or N5 are good in the camera department in my opinion, but then again both had to keep costs down not like the S4.
It looks to me like this update claims are valid. It doesn't make the camera a brand new one (for instance the moto x still has trouble with white balance, and two quick pictures of the same subject can have two different color temperatures), but it definitely shows improvements.

SymbioticGenius

Aug 24, 2012
^ Thanks guys..
I have experience with Nexus 5 but have never used a Moto X.
I am not looking for the best camera smartphone but Nexus 5 camera is good enuff for me.... I use my DSLR when I need better performance or quality.
So, its reassuring to know what Moto X camera is at par with N5..
I was confused whether to get a N5 or MotoX ,, I m more inclined towards the Moto :)

Having had both the Nexus5 and MotoX at the same time I have been asked to compare the two many times. The best way to describe them in comparison I've found is this:

The MotoX is a great value phone with minimal lag and amazing features that truly make a smartphone smart.

The Nexus5 is the smallest computer I've ever had with no lag whatsoever, very nice vibrant screen and when necessary it makes phone calls too.

Camera wise, I took multiple pictures with both phones back to back and in low light the Nexus always won. This was a few updates ago and now I only have the MotoX so I can't compare with 4.4.3... but like I said I only have the MotoX.

P.S. with the limited information we have on the X+1 it seems as though we might be getting the best of both worlds. Might be worth the wait.

aadi007

May 22, 2014
Looks like now we are close to N5. Neither Moto X or N5 are good in the camera department in my opinion, but then again both had to keep costs down not like the S4.
It looks to me like this update claims are valid. It doesn't make the camera a brand new one (for instance the moto x still has trouble with white balance, and two quick pictures of the same subject can have two different color temperatures), but it definitely shows improvements.

Don't know about other places but in India, the N5 costs as much as the S4.
Moto X costs around 15-20% less.

About the camera of N5, I find it adequate for the purpose...it's not that good but will serve me fine.
I haven't seen the Moto X..And here in India, Motorola has a unique sales strategy where all their phones are available thru only one online retailer. SO, you can't go to a retail shop and try it.

I am inclined to buy the Moto X as long as the camera is decent .. I mean if it matches N5 in camera, that 'll be fine for me.
As per earlier reviews, it seems N5 camera is better than Moto X. So, I wanted to find out if the Moto X has improved after the updates and it now matches the N5 in camera.

Cheers.

DaRkRhiNe

Mar 18, 2013
Mumbai

About the camera of N5, I find it adequate for the purpose...it's not that good but will serve me fine.
I haven't seen the Moto X..And here in India, Motorola has a unique sales strategy where all their phones are available thru only one online retailer. SO, you can't go to a retail shop and try it.

I am inclined to buy the Moto X as long as the camera is decent .. I mean if it matches N5 in camera, that 'll be fine for me.
As per earlier reviews, it seems N5 camera is better than Moto X. So, I wanted to find out if the Moto X has improved after the updates and it now matches the N5 in camera.

Cheers.

Go for it!! You will not regret. It truly lives up to the word "Smartphone"

Wutang200

Jul 14, 2011
Manchester
The Nexus5 is the smallest computer I've ever had with no lag whatsoever, very nice vibrant screen and when necessary it makes phone calls too.

I disagree about the N5 being able to make phone calls. I went through 11 Nexus 5's due to major issues with call quality. Build quality was poor too as 2 of my replacements had dead pixels. Also the SIM tray on some of them didn't sit flush against the body.

It's the main reason why I replaced it with the Moto X.

Camera wasn't great but neither is the one in the Moto X. They're both average.

SymbioticGenius

Aug 24, 2012
Didn't have any build quality issues on my Nexus and I was day 1 order (most of whom did have issues). If I went through 11 phones for call quality I'd look into a different carrier cause the strength of the Motorola radios might be masking the fact that your carrier sucks.

Your post however did remind me that the screen on the Nexus was incredibly bright and didn't produce an actual black but more of a gray and the speaker was horrid... Still, smallest PC I've ever had and better that most tablets I've seen for my usage

DBBGBA

Apr 9, 2010
New York

Cheers.

Well when it came out the S4 was way more expensive than the N5. I'm not surprised the price went down since the new S5 is out (plus in the US the S4 has a slower processor compared to the N5).

I'm checking right now on Amazon:
Samsung Galaxy S4 unlocked seems to average $425
Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Play edition (from the play store) $649
Nexus 5 straight from Google Play is $349
Moto X unlocked from amazon ~$315 while from the motorola website $400

The camera is decent on the Moto X. I'm a visual artist so I can tell you it's not gonna replace real cameras, but it's great for those family photos, events, outside landscapes. It takes a bit of time for it to adjust the colors to the correct light around you. You can wait a bit and snap a good pic or do it quickly and color correct it later. My roommate took amazing pictures of landscapes in Ecuador and she's technologically inept and knows nothing about waiting for the right picture. So I can assume with sunlight the camera works great.
It doesn't have any of the Samsung or LG gimmicks and auto functions. Which is fine for me since I like to shoot normal pic and edit them later.

I was thorn too because of the camera, but then I decided to get the moto X and I can tell you that there's so much more this phone does for me that I can definitely overlook the camera aspect. Plus I never really use my phone as my main camera, more like a backup in a pinch or to remember things so it worked out quite nicely.

Thepho3nix

Nov 16, 2012
S4.....no way !!!! S4 camera is amazing

But moto x camera update can fight with Nexus 5 camera for sure.

Btw...the moto x flash led is really really really enhanced.
You people are wrong, yet the galaxy s4 uses a 13mpx SONY RS sensor, lacks in low light conditions even further than moto X would, the omnivision sensor placed on moto x it's capable of shooting 2k-4k real videos, I think moto x camera need heavy efforts in development by lenovo in this case, they can achieve wide benefits from the clear pixel technology, some algorithms an improved camera app and a better image processing would put the moto X in the top of g
High end phones with great and no regrets cameras.

Last edited:
Reactions: omias

omias

Jan 3, 2012
You people are wrong, yet the galaxy s4 uses a 13mpx SONY RS sensor, lacks in low light conditions even further than moto X would, the omnivision sensor placed on moto x it's capable of shooting 2k-4k real videos, I think moto x camera need heavy efforts in development by lenovo in this case, they can achieve wide benefits from the clear pixel technology, some algorithms an improved camera app and a better image processing would put the moto X in the top of g
Good info

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So can anyone confirm or deny this?

I don't believe I have any images to take a picture of now and compare with side by side.

If anyone has any to provide, please do so. :good:
    S4.....no way !!!! S4 camera is amazing

But moto x camera update can fight with Nexus 5 camera for sure.

Btw...the moto x flash led is really really really enhanced.
    Thanks, didn't know that. Unlocked the bootloader as soon as I got the phone, lol.

You are talking about the only 4.4.3 which is posted here right? http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=0

It's for T-Mobile, so while booting up it will show that awkward logo of T-Mobile?

Be really careful regarding update which doesn't match your system. JoeKid has written about possible consequences a lot (http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/general/xt1053-4-4-3-ota-update-zip-t2772613/page20). In best case you'll lose your LTE reception if it matters to you. You'll probably get your authentic OTA update 4.4.4 in about 10 days or less.
    Thanks, didn't know that. Unlocked the bootloader as soon as I got the phone, lol.

You are talking about the only 4.4.3 which is posted here right? http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=0

It's for T-Mobile, so while booting up it will show that awkward logo of T-Mobile?
    Negative, you won't get the awkward logo, I though that worked that way but it doesn't. If you lose LTE connectivity, you can actually flash your current baseband/radio.