[WIP] Registry hack to enable ICS settings on Samsung Omnia 7

Search This thread

ghepardo

Jan 11, 2012
Hello,
I own a Samsung Omnia 7 (no carrier locked) and mine is distributed without internet sharing availiable: this option is now shown on my phone.

Of course I tried all the hacks suggested here, but they do not work with this phone. Surfing this and other forums I decided to try to find a solution myself, and I would like to share my findings here, so to get some advices from more-expert-wp7-exploiters and to share, if I find, a solution.

My approach now is to surf the registry looking for the correct keys to change to enable it.

I am using, as source, the provxml (gen2) provided by voluptuary here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=19083920&postcount=1

These are the steps I have in mind:
1- find and enable the show-up of "ICS" option in the settings menu surfing the reg
2- using the information in the above mentioned provxml file, try to use ICS.

Current knowledge (I just started)
- the "phone settings menu" items seem to be ruled by HKEY/Local Machine/Software/Microsoft/Settings: here I find all the descriptions of the items shown in the phone settings menù

I hope someone will cooperate with me, sharing knowledge.

Thanks,

p.s. if this thread is misplaced in this sub-forum, I sincerely apologize and ask to move it in the most appropriate one.

Last edited:

jessenic

Sep 9, 2010
What exactly are you trying to do? I have enabled ICS on my Omnia7 through the registry just fine, though it needed some editing after 8107 update.

Reactions: ghepardo

ghepardo

Jan 11, 2012
What exactly are you trying to do? I have enabled ICS on my Omnia7 through the registry just fine, though it needed some editing after 8107 update.

Hello,
thanks a lot for replying to this post.

I am trying to enable ICS on my Omnia W (not Omnia 7) which never had ICS (the option was not and is not present under my "Settings" page).

Using "WP7 Root Tools v0.9" I applied manually the registry settings found in the provxml (gen2) provided by voluptuary here: http://xdaforums.com/show...20&postcount=1
(I must admit I was not able to add the "boolean" values, such as
Code:
<characteristic type="HotSpot">
        <parm name="Enabled" datatype="boolean" value="true" />
because WP7 Root Tools does allows only for DWORD/String values)

but without success: I was not even able to have the ICS option shown up in the settings page.

Do you have any suggestion ?

voluptuary

Dec 29, 2010
Mukwonago
Hello,

I am trying to enable ICS on my Omnia W (not Omnia 7) which never had ICS (the option was not and is not present under my "Settings" page).

Using "WP7 Root Tools v0.9" I applied manually the registry settings found in the provxml (gen2) provided by voluptuary here: http://xdaforums.com/show...20&postcount=1
Code:

but without success: I was not even able to have the ICS option shown up in the settings page.

The gen2 should work just fine on your Omnia W, I've personally used it on my mother-in-laws Focus Flash (same as Omnia W) and it worked just fine. The values in the provxml are all valid and correct to enable ICS so if you can't get it to work the it is something specific to your device that is going wrong. Basically if you can interop unlock to use Root Tools you can get ICS using my XAP.

AdryJay

Sep 4, 2011
Sorrento
www.adrianoalfaro.com
The gen2 should work just fine on your Omnia W, I've personally used it on my mother-in-laws Focus Flash (same as Omnia W) and it worked just fine. The values in the provxml are all valid and correct to enable ICS so if you can't get it to work the it is something specific to your device that is going wrong. Basically if you can interop unlock to use Root Tools you can get ICS using my XAP.

It should works fine also on Omnia W/Focus Flash with the latest update installed? My friend can't activate ICS on his W with 8107...

I also have the W, but branded VOD-IT that comes with ICS enabled: if I revert back to 7740 and then I debrand and update via Zune to the 8107, will I loose the ICS service?

Thanks... :confused:

voluptuary

Dec 29, 2010
Mukwonago
It should works fine also on Omnia W/Focus Flash with the latest update installed? My friend can't activate ICS on his W with 8107...

I also have the W, but branded VOD-IT that comes with ICS enabled: if I revert back to 7740 and then I debrand and update via Zune to the 8107, will I loose the ICS service?

Thanks... :confused:

Depends on what firmware you have but if you can interop unlock then you can get ICS.

ghepardo

Jan 11, 2012

thanks a lot for taking time to help me.

In fact I am interop unlocked via windowsbreak,which uses the same provxml technique as your files, but when I apply yours, I do not see the "system tweaks" in the diagnosis app,I see only the standard ones plus windowbreak one,this is why I am trying with the manual approach.

I tried also uninstalling diagnosis and repeating the procedure from scratch, but I am stuck at the same point.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks again.

voluptuary

Dec 29, 2010
Mukwonago

In fact I am interop unlocked via windowsbreak,which uses the same provxml technique as your files, but when I apply yours, I do not see the "system tweaks" in the diagnosis app,I see only the standard ones plus windowbreak one,this is why I am trying with the manual approach.

I tried also uninstalling diagnosis and repeating the procedure from scratch, but I am stuck at the same point.

Thanks again.

Did you update your phone after you used WindowsBreak? Cuz if you did that's your problem, you updated your firmware. If not... well then it should work.

ghepardo

Jan 11, 2012
Did you update your phone after you used WindowsBreak? Cuz if you did that's your problem, you updated your firmware. If not... well then it should work.

Yes, I did updated my phone after the windows break, but I am still interop unlocked and I can still see the "windowbreak" inside the "GPS manager" diagnosis menù.

I applied manually all the registry settings in your gen2 provxml file, setting the boolean val as DWORDS (as suggested by drkfngthdragnlrd), but I still cannot see the ICS option in my settings menu.

Any clues ?

Last edited:

voluptuary

Dec 29, 2010
Mukwonago
Yes, I did updated my phone after the windows break, but I am still interop unlocked and I can still see the "windowbreak" inside the "GPS manager" diagnosis menù.

I applied manually all the registry settings in your gen2 provxml file, setting the boolean val as DWORDS (as suggested by drkfngthdragnlrd), but I still cannot see the ICS option in my settings menu.

Any clues ?

Roll back to stock firmware and update the os manually with cab sender

voluptuary

Dec 29, 2010
Mukwonago
I'm in the same situation... If I restore the old firmware, then I enable ICS and finally I update my Windows Phone, the ICS still here? :confused:

And about the update to 8107 with cab sender, it broke future update on Omnia W... :S

ICS should still be there, infact if you update with CAB sender you can op to NOT install the firmware update. Just install the OS update. In order to ensure that you don't break future update you need to be sure to include all the language CAB's for the languages currently on your phone. If you do that you will be fine. Heathcliff74 has tools to help you figure out what CAB's you need to send over in his CAB update thread.

Reactions: AdryJay

AdryJay

Sep 4, 2011
Sorrento
www.adrianoalfaro.com
Sorry, I was wrong when I says that CAB sender brokes Samsung update on Omnia W.

I reverted back to 7720 and then updated to 8107 via Zune: then I've unbranded the phone to recive the Samsung update that returned the famous error 8018001E... So it's an incompatibility of the Samsung update with my (and other VOD-IT) Samsung Omnia W. Sorry for the OT and thanks...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,

Code:

Code:

Change it is DWORD = 1.

Thanks again.

I'm in the same situation... If I restore the old firmware, then I enable ICS and finally I update my Windows Phone, the ICS still here? :confused:

And about the update to 8107 with cab sender, it broke future update on Omnia W... :S

ICS should still be there, infact if you update with CAB sender you can op to NOT install the firmware update. Just install the OS update. In order to ensure that you don't break future update you need to be sure to include all the language CAB's for the languages currently on your phone. If you do that you will be fine. Heathcliff74 has tools to help you figure out what CAB's you need to send over in his CAB update thread.