[Q] Updating unlocked Vox

Search This thread

col320ce

Dec 20, 2011
I have an unlocked Orange E650 (able to use now in Australia). It still has the stock rom on. I have tried to update it and I cant get the SDA Application unlock to work. If I were to do a factory reset or a windows update via the phone, would this revert it to being locked again?
Thanks ....

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
Depending on how you got the device "unlocked" the options for you may be more or less easy. Please read the post I made for another device there but reply in here for more.

It may be that the SIM unlock (I suspect this - as the Orange devices are usually SIM locked) was done in a very generic way that already has opened some doors for easier upgrade.

Can you tell how the SIM unlock was done? Was it a procedure (like offered at http://www.imei-check.co.uk/e650_unlock.php) or did you just supply your IMEI and got back a code?
In case of the imei-check procedure you already have received a SuperCID and upgrade are very easy once have the old OS application unlocked.

col320ce

Dec 20, 2011
I'm not sure how it was done. I had it done about 3 years ago. At the time I could not work out how to do it myself so I ended up sending the phones to a place to unlock them. I don't know what method they used but I do remember them not finding it that easy to unlock them.

Is there a way I can look on the phone to see how it was done?

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
It is easy - just try to load the cooked ROMs right away - skip the unlock, and jumpSPL stuff. If this works you have received a superCID with SIM unlock.

If this fails you have to go the longer way of
- application unlock old OS
- load Soft SPL or JumpSPL
- load new OS

Sound easier than it is if you have no experience. All steps are described in the relevant ROM threads.

col320ce

Dec 20, 2011
I've tried a few ROMs and not working straight from ROM. It gets to 3% or so and resets the phone and the application says there is a corrupt file.

When I use "SDA_ApplicationUnlock" I get a message "Phone is not unlockable".

Any ideas? Is it safe to do a factory reset or could I lose the unlocked status?

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
I've tried a few ROMs and not working straight from ROM. It gets to 3% or so and resets the phone and the application says there is a corrupt file.
This is normal if the CID (Carrier ID) Check fails - you would be able to upload only Orange ROMs.
This means that the remote access (via PC) to alter data on the device is not allowed per relevant security policy (the RAPI policy). You need to change that from the device itself using a tool that has signed privileges to do this. The only tool which can do it is a signed registry editor. Luckily some guys have wrapped the editor into a macro script which can even be installed via an installation procedure from the PC. I had prepared a tool-kit for my Hurricane Kitchen that includes some more steps that do not work on the Vox. You can however take the tools in the "Prepare Security..." folder also on the Vox. You find the package here. As you have already SDA Unlock, install (run the .exe on the PC) and execute HTC Unlock on the device (from Start -> Accessories). This will alter the RAPI Policy that you can execute SDA Unlock later.
Any ideas? Is it safe to do a factory reset or could I lose the unlocked status?
Hard Rest will put the OS in the default state, so if you had HTC Unlock and SDA Unlock remove the application unlock (have you read my other post I recommended to read?), the SIM Unlock will not change - this is permanent. You would have to repeat the application unlock however as the default OS setting is that application execution is "locked" to signed applications.

Reactions: col320ce

col320ce

Dec 20, 2011
I'm using 'HTCUnlock-CVS' and get the reply "error launching \regedit.exe"

Have I done something wrong?

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
It seems that the Orange guys have taken special care to make your life hard here. Reason for the observed behavior:

Usually the HTC certificates are installed on the HTC devices and any HTC signed application should so run on the device. As you see it does not - it seems that their devices have excluded the HTC default certificates :-(
But we should find a way to get that cracked open...

Microsoft has a security configuration manager tool: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=998 which can handle security policies via the RAPI interface. It may be that it will not work for the same reason as SDA Unlock, but is worth a try. Install that on the PC and execute there when the device is on and connected via AS. When you see that the tool has recognized the connected device and received the security Config, then select Menu->Device->Add Development Certificates. Then select on the left side "Security Off" configuration and then push the "Provision" button. Hope that works.

There is still one more option (Gold Card) - but this is a little more complicated. Two ways to flash then, not sure if both work, but flashing via micro-SD will for sure.

col320ce

Dec 20, 2011
You probably won't be surprised to learn that the Microsoft Security Manager didn't work but was worth a try. It says something like there is a 2 tier thing present.

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
I have seen reports on Modaco.com that claim to have done it this way: http://windows.modaco.com/topic/260617-how-can-i-application-unlock-orange-spv-e650/
A few questions:

• Has the tool connected to the device, so did the right side identify the security setting of it?
  • When selecting the "Securuty off" and then "Provision", what happened?
  • Did you try to install the Development certificates?

---------- Post added at 01:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 PM ----------

Also check out this post at MoDaCo: http://windows.modaco.com/topic/255845-spv-e650-de-brand-fix-pack-05/

It claims to fix the security issue as well.

col320ce

Dec 20, 2011
Security Config Manager shows the same message when I either click 'Provision' or try to add development certificate. (see picture)

I followed the following instructions (similar to one of the links you sent):

Reset phone to factory defaults:

Resetting your phone to factory defaults will DELETE ALL contacts information, calendar etc etc. Make sure you have made a backup of this data before proceeding.

1. Make sure your phone is turned OFF.
2. Press and hold soft1 and soft2 keys. (The menu keys above the 1 and 3 keys)
3. Press and hold the power button for around 1 to 1.5 seconds. Then release the power button. But keep holding the soft1 and soft2 keys.
4. The phone boots and asks to press the Send key to restore to factory defaults. Keep the soft1 and soft2 keys pressed and press the Send key (the key with the green phone icon).

The phone will now reboot and will be now reset to factory defaults. This can take a while, be patient. Wait until the phone has fully restarted before proceeding with the next steps.
Unbranding and unlocking the phone

Now it is time to unlock the phone so it will run unsigned applications (which is needed for the actual firmware flashing)

1. Connect the e650 to your pc via active sync
2. Download MoDaCo_SPV_E650_de_Brand___Fix_Pack.PREP.CAB
3. Download MoDaCo_SPV_E650_de_Brand___Fix_Pack_0.5.CAB
4. Download RemoveSecurity.CAB

5. Copy all three CAB files to your phone.
6. Start explorer on your phone and run and install the MoDaCo_SPV_E650_de_Brand___Fix_Pack.PREP.CAB file
7. Next run and install the MoDaCo_SPV_E650_de_Brand___Fix_Pack_0.5.CAB file.
8. Reboot your phone
9. Once your phone is rebooted run and install RemoveSecurity.CAB
10. Reboot your phone.
11. Download SDA_ApplicationUnlock.zip
12. Run the SDA_ApplicationUnlock.exe inside the zip file. You should get a message that your phone has been unlocked.
13. Reboot your phone

Part 7 takes a long time and I'm not sure if it worked correctly. When I get to Application Unlock (12), I still get the same message that the phone can't be unlocked.

On the other link you sent I could not open http://spvunlock.rd.francetelecom.com/

Interestingly I did have another Orange phone (same s710) that I think was actually slightly newer, and I remember being able to use the application unlock application on it and updade the ROM. That phone however is now dead.

Attachments

• security-off-pic.jpg
    security-off-pic.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 43

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
Sigh...

ok, let us then try the Gold Card Method, you need:

1. a micro sd card, any size (small is welcome), no SDHC (so not >= 4GB). It should be fresh formatted with FAT32
  2. download revskills from http://psas.revskills.de/?q=node/6 and install on pc
  3. run it on pc
  4. connect device via AS, insert formatted SD card
  5. in revskills go to menu -> calculators... -> Gold Card
  6. Select Device Key: Vox
  7. Push "Get CID from WinCE..."
  8. Wait for Serial to change (device will prompt to allow itsutils to run) <- this may be a problem!
  9. Push "Write Goldcard....to WinceSD"
  10. done
Leave the card in the device and start your intended update with any Stock ROM other than Orange, e.g. S710 from HTC. The Gold Card will grant SuperCID during SPL phase but still needs a valid signed ROM, hence cooked ROMs will not work here.

If step 8.) does not work, you can use also use any other device for that as well.

Good Luck!

P.S.: what happened to your other device?!

col320ce

Dec 20, 2011
I'll try it later today.

The other phone fell on the floor and no longer works (can't get any life out of it). I have it still for spare parts.

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
Why did you not drop THIS one?!

To make a Gold Card you need a WinMo device that can execute the itsutils and have the sd card inserted. It can be ANY WinMo device and it can be any version of OS (WM5 and up for sure, not sure about WM2k3 but also this should work).

Maybe you should try some Orange ROMs and see if there are some where the Modaco procedure works ok. I have one "ORANGE_1.35.61.1_4.1.13.60_03.18.90_Ship_phones_software.exe" which I could upload if this is not the one you have already.

---------- Post added at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 AM ----------

The Orange one comes from here:
http://www2.orange.co.uk/servlet/Sa...=Phone&pagename=Business&t=SMEDeviceDownloads

col320ce

Dec 20, 2011
I dont have another WinMo device to use ...

I flashed the latest Orange ROM (which is what was already on the phone anyway) and no change.

If I can I flash an old ROM onto the phone will it potentially change the Orange security problems and allow Application Unlock etc to work? I've had a quick search and have not come up with an older ROM but I will search again if you think it might work.

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
This is a locked situation here. Orange Security settings on the old OS is preventing steps to open the door for updates. I doubt that older OS would be easier to handle - and I don't know of any that could straight away be flashed.

Just the sketch the routes you could go (and have went already some), there are 3 ways to get another OS loaded via the SPL:

1. Get a SuperCID to the device - this will allow any SW update via the original SPL. Not sure if this can be done on the Vox and how. I had one of my Tornado treated by imei-check.uk and they have done the SuperCID with the SIM Unlock. Ask them if this would happen with the E650 as well - costs you 10 GBP. Just like SIM-unlock, the SuperCID is permanent and survives any ROM update.
  2. Get the Gold Card key activated while flashing - you need an application unlocked WinMo device though. Just for a short time, lend it from anyone who has one (really no matter if smartphone, with touchscreen or buy the cheapest on ebay - however you may have more luck with 1.). Let us see how dead is your dropped device:
    • when connecting the charger or PC connected USB, is the charge LED getting on?
    • when switching on (with charged battery) is the LED getting on?
    • Is the LCD white or not lighted at all?
    • open/close the SIM slot (there is a little switch inside) and retry.
    • Are there physical damages like cracked housing, ripped cables, detached USB socket or broken LCD?
    • It is hard to believe that you cannot get any life out of the main PBA just having dropped the device. You may well get it to a state where it could be used to write the Goldcard. You will need to dis-assemble it however if cables would need re-attachment.
  3. Get the old OS application unlocked and load the new OS via patched temporary SPL (jumpSPL). Why not asking Orange for a solution to that problem? Tell them that you cannot load unsigned applications and that you want that restriction removed. They should be able to provide you with a signed cab-file that will do the needed changes - to get you going for the rest of the path.

col320ce

Dec 20, 2011
Broken Phone:

Red light comes on for a few seconds when first plugged in then goes out.
Can't turn it on (nothing happens).
No major physical damage.
I have pulled it apart and checked the cable attachements etc.

Just send an email to Orange.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is normal if the CID (Carrier ID) Check fails - you would be able to upload only Orange ROMs.
    This means that the remote access (via PC) to alter data on the device is not allowed per relevant security policy (the RAPI policy). You need to change that from the device itself using a tool that has signed privileges to do this. The only tool which can do it is a signed registry editor. Luckily some guys have wrapped the editor into a macro script which can even be installed via an installation procedure from the PC. I had prepared a tool-kit for my Hurricane Kitchen that includes some more steps that do not work on the Vox. You can however take the tools in the "Prepare Security..." folder also on the Vox. You find the package here. As you have already SDA Unlock, install (run the .exe on the PC) and execute HTC Unlock on the device (from Start -> Accessories). This will alter the RAPI Policy that you can execute SDA Unlock later.
    Hard Rest will put the OS in the default state, so if you had HTC Unlock and SDA Unlock remove the application unlock (have you read my other post I recommended to read?), the SIM Unlock will not change - this is permanent. You would have to repeat the application unlock however as the default OS setting is that application execution is "locked" to signed applications.
    It seems that the Orange guys have taken special care to make your life hard here. Reason for the observed behavior:

Usually the HTC certificates are installed on the HTC devices and any HTC signed application should so run on the device. As you see it does not - it seems that their devices have excluded the HTC default certificates :-(
    But we should find a way to get that cracked open...

Microsoft has a security configuration manager tool: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=998 which can handle security policies via the RAPI interface. It may be that it will not work for the same reason as SDA Unlock, but is worth a try. Install that on the PC and execute there when the device is on and connected via AS. When you see that the tool has recognized the connected device and received the security Config, then select Menu->Device->Add Development Certificates. Then select on the left side "Security Off" configuration and then push the "Provision" button. Hope that works.

There is still one more option (Gold Card) - but this is a little more complicated. Two ways to flash then, not sure if both work, but flashing via micro-SD will for sure.
    Sigh...

ok, let us then try the Gold Card Method, you need:

1. a micro sd card, any size (small is welcome), no SDHC (so not >= 4GB). It should be fresh formatted with FAT32
    2. download revskills from http://psas.revskills.de/?q=node/6 and install on pc
    3. run it on pc
    4. connect device via AS, insert formatted SD card
    5. in revskills go to menu -> calculators... -> Gold Card
    6. Select Device Key: Vox
    7. Push "Get CID from WinCE..."
    8. Wait for Serial to change (device will prompt to allow itsutils to run) <- this may be a problem!
    9. Push "Write Goldcard....to WinceSD"
    10. done
    Leave the card in the device and start your intended update with any Stock ROM other than Orange, e.g. S710 from HTC. The Gold Card will grant SuperCID during SPL phase but still needs a valid signed ROM, hence cooked ROMs will not work here.

If step 8.) does not work, you can use also use any other device for that as well.

Good Luck!

P.S.: what happened to your other device?!
    Why did you not drop THIS one?!

To make a Gold Card you need a WinMo device that can execute the itsutils and have the sd card inserted. It can be ANY WinMo device and it can be any version of OS (WM5 and up for sure, not sure about WM2k3 but also this should work).

Maybe you should try some Orange ROMs and see if there are some where the Modaco procedure works ok. I have one "ORANGE_1.35.61.1_4.1.13.60_03.18.90_Ship_phones_software.exe" which I could upload if this is not the one you have already.

---------- Post added at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 AM ----------

The Orange one comes from here:
    http://www2.orange.co.uk/servlet/Sa...=Phone&pagename=Business&t=SMEDeviceDownloads
    This is a locked situation here. Orange Security settings on the old OS is preventing steps to open the door for updates. I doubt that older OS would be easier to handle - and I don't know of any that could straight away be flashed.

Just the sketch the routes you could go (and have went already some), there are 3 ways to get another OS loaded via the SPL:

1. Get a SuperCID to the device - this will allow any SW update via the original SPL. Not sure if this can be done on the Vox and how. I had one of my Tornado treated by imei-check.uk and they have done the SuperCID with the SIM Unlock. Ask them if this would happen with the E650 as well - costs you 10 GBP. Just like SIM-unlock, the SuperCID is permanent and survives any ROM update.
    2. Get the Gold Card key activated while flashing - you need an application unlocked WinMo device though. Just for a short time, lend it from anyone who has one (really no matter if smartphone, with touchscreen or buy the cheapest on ebay - however you may have more luck with 1.). Let us see how dead is your dropped device:
      • when connecting the charger or PC connected USB, is the charge LED getting on?
      • when switching on (with charged battery) is the LED getting on?
      • Is the LCD white or not lighted at all?
      • open/close the SIM slot (there is a little switch inside) and retry.
      • Are there physical damages like cracked housing, ripped cables, detached USB socket or broken LCD?
      • It is hard to believe that you cannot get any life out of the main PBA just having dropped the device. You may well get it to a state where it could be used to write the Goldcard. You will need to dis-assemble it however if cables would need re-attachment.
    3. Get the old OS application unlocked and load the new OS via patched temporary SPL (jumpSPL). Why not asking Orange for a solution to that problem? Tell them that you cannot load unsigned applications and that you want that restriction removed. They should be able to provide you with a signed cab-file that will do the needed changes - to get you going for the rest of the path.