Unable to Turn Wifi On

Search This thread

hockeyrcks9901

Dec 23, 2008
I'm having an issue that I'm sure is easy to fix but I can't figure it out.

I tried to set up a network manually a while ago and it failed and now when I turn on my wifi from the settings menu I get:

"Turning on..." (next to the toggle)
Then an error message at the bottom of screen:
"Unable to save the network"
"Turning off" (next to the toggle)

Anyone know the fix to this?

Typos and other gibberish courtesy of Swype

merophosis

Dec 5, 2009
I'm having an issue that I'm sure is easy to fix but I can't figure it out.

I tried to set up a network manually a while ago and it failed and now when I turn on my wifi from the settings menu I get:

"Turning on..." (next to the toggle)
Then an error message at the bottom of screen:
"Turning off" (next to the toggle)

Anyone know the fix to this?

Typos and other gibberish courtesy of Swype

I posted replies to the thread below and one other thread (which I can't find right now). I had the same issue and it was caused by Allshare. search for my replies in the thread I replied to. Long story cut short, I had to go back and forth between Allshare and turning wifi on/off and it magically fixed itself.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=748231

hockeyrcks9901

Dec 23, 2008
Okay, I figured out my problem and it wasn't Allshare (I've never used it and tried the fix mentioned above). I'm not sure if it is a Vibrant issue or an Android issue.

I'll list what I did and the solution:

I was trying to connect to a network with a hidden SSID and apparently I typed something wrong so it would not connect. It then must have gotten forced into some kind of loop attempting to connect to that "bad" network. Every time I enabled the Wifi it went through a loop of:

"Turning on..."
"Unable to scan networks"
"Turning off..."

The fix was to go to "/data/wifi/bcm_supp.conf" with Root Explorer and edit the file to remove the information on the "bad" network. I copied some of the file below that shows what the file looked like before and after.

Code:
ctrl_interface=DIR=/data/misc/wifi GROUP=wifi
update_config_1
device_name=Wireless Client
manufacturer=Samsung Electronics
device_type=1-0050F204-1

network={
   ssid="tmobile"
   scan_ssid=1
   key_mgmt=NONE
}

network={
   ssid="tmobile1x"
   scan_ssid=1
   key_mgmt=NONE
}

network={
   ssid="Belkin.3844"
   psk="84316318"
   key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
   pairwide=CCMP
   auth_alg-OPEN
}

network={
   ssid=" UCF_WPA2"
   scan_ssid=1
}

and the fixed code was to just remove the information about the "UCF_WPA2" network.

Code:
ctrl_interface=DIR=/data/misc/wifi GROUP=wifi
update_config_1
device_name=Wireless Client
manufacturer=Samsung Electronics
device_type=1-0050F204-1

network={
   ssid="tmobile"
   scan_ssid=1
   key_mgmt=NONE
}

network={
   ssid="tmobile1x"
   scan_ssid=1
   key_mgmt=NONE
}

network={
   ssid="Belkin.3844"
   psk="84316318"
   key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
   pairwide=CCMP
   auth_alg-OPEN
}

I can now turn Wifi on and off at will and I have no further issues.

merophosis

Dec 5, 2009
Ah. That's definitely some good information! I have noticed some sort of pattern with Allshare and media sharing applications where this happens, not sure why though. This definitely helps a lot though, now we know where to go to remove the entries.

hockeyrcks9901

Dec 23, 2008
Ah. That's definitely some good information! I have noticed some sort of pattern with Allshare and media sharing applications where this happens, not sure why though. This definitely helps a lot though, now we know where to go to remove the entries.

Yep, I had some other network information in there but I didn't post it for security reasons (work SSID and password). But I bet you could remove everything but the t-mobile IDs and it would fix any issues. I just removed the one network that I knew was causing issues. I think it was the space in the SSID field that was causing my issues.

merophosis

Dec 5, 2009
Is it possible to do this fix without rooting?

I don't think so. Unless you tried the other way of attempting to connect and disconnect (if it's Allshare or media-sharing app related) then this is definitely the route to go.

Then again, rooting the Vibrant is REALLY easy and you can always unroot for whatever reason.

jonathan75

Jul 26, 2010
This is driving me nuts. I finally got it rooted but how can I install the Root Explorer to access the data directory if I don't have Wi-Fi? I tried from Windows and I can not find the directory looking at the phone.

I do not have a data plan. Is there a way to install an app from my computer?