water resistance and speaker.

Search This thread

bzlik88

Jul 14, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S10+
sooo i went for a shower with this thing....now the speaker doesnt sound like it should LOL.

what now?

Lol it doesn't have protection against golden showers man. Just water...

XD

Sent from my SM-G900T using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

I would send it back....false advertisement.

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

I would dry it out in rice first. U could just have a drop hanging out on the speaker mesh

PC Jona

Nov 22, 2011
New York
Lol it doesn't have protection against golden showers man. Just water...

XD

---------- Post added at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

I would send it back....false advertisement.

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

I would dry it out in rice first. U could just have a drop hanging out on the speaker mesh

lol golden showers yea it was probably just a small amount of water there

tone8275

May 2, 2011
Suppose to wait 30mins before using external speaker after its been wet. I called in because I felt the same. Now I place it in a towel set to the side for it. Works perfect.

Sent from my C6916 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 PM ----------

And if you take it out in the water, heed the 30min, 3' rule!! You'll get awesome video, and pictures but it'll toast it. I sent mine to Sony, and they sent me a new one with no problem. No charge, think I got lucky though (I placed a good review I wrote months back along w/docs required). Remember to take your SD card; you won't get it back. Great phone. Want the z2 compact. I find the waterproof feature the one most value on the market right now. Sorry for the spill :)

CitrixLemon

Aug 28, 2010
nevermind i shook it and blew into it and it came back. hmmmmm idk maybe ill think twice before i shower with it again

Yeah I'd be careful taking it into the shower with you. One thing that has been problematic with other electronics is the heat in a shower can have unexpected consequences.

tp2215

Oct 2, 2010
Orlando
The phone has water resistance, its not water proof. Personally, I would still try and keep it away from water at all costs. Its only really meant for say like if your stuck in a storm and it gets some rain drops on it or something. I would definately still not go into a shower with it or go swimming with it.

tone8275

May 2, 2011
It's waterproof. I've put this thing to the test. Just have to stick to the 30min, 3' rule (tough when you're having fun). No salt water.

tp2215

Oct 2, 2010
Orlando
It's waterproof. I've put this thing to the test. Just have to stick to the 30min, 3' rule (tough when you're having fun). No salt water.

Actually its not waterproof and was never touted to be. It is certified to be IP67 Water Resistant. Which means that it is dust tight and can be immersed in 1m of water for 30 minutes and it should be ok. Water proof would mean that it would be able to withstand any degree of water. If anybody is interested this page has a pretty good description and chart of what Ingress Protection is and what the numbers mean.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Wate...im-or-is-secretly-afraid-of-the-water_id53205

Have to to say though, its pretty inpressive how far up the S5 is on the chart. It is narrowing in on water proof territory.

tone8275

May 2, 2011
Oooh Ok. I took mine out 4 times, vids & pics. Underwater. 1st 3 times worked like a charm, and we only used it for a short time. When you 1st go under the screen jumps around a bit. It settles after a quick second. The 4th time I took it to a water park, and had it out in the sun for about 5-6 hours. That killed it. Phone still worked, but screen went way dim. Had to use a flashlight to see it. Vids & pics were great though. Down water slides and all. So much fun with this phone. Just can't get too carried away. My bad for the wrong verbiage. I do attest this thing will create memories.

---------- Post added at 12:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 AM ----------

Actually its not waterproof and was never touted to be. It is certified to be IP67 Water Resistant. Which means that it is dust tight and can be immersed in 1m of water for 30 minutes and it should be ok. Water proof would mean that it would be able to withstand any degree of water. If anybody is interested this page has a pretty good description and chart of what Ingress Protection is and what the numbers mean.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Wate...im-or-is-secretly-afraid-of-the-water_id53205

Have to to say though, its pretty inpressive how far up the S5 is on the chart. It is narrowing in on water proof territory.

Oooh Ok. I took mine out 4 times, vids & pics. Underwater. 1st 3 times worked like a charm, and we only used it for a short time. When you 1st go under the screen jumps around a bit. It settles after a quick second. The 4th time I took it to a water park, and had it out in the sun for about 5-6 hours. That killed it. Phone still worked, but screen went way dim. Had to use a flashlight to see it. Vids & pics were great though. Down water slides and all. So much fun with this phone. Just can't get too carried away. My bad for the wrong verbiage. I do attest this thing will create memories.
Sorry for double post; haven't been on here for a while.

louforgiveno

Jun 24, 2010

glxys

Nov 6, 2010
Philadelphia
3ft of water for an hour works perfectly no issues, speaker was funny but 2 mins of a hair dryer with no battery cover or battery and a restart fixed that.....in my opinion that's waterproof. How much more could u possibly need honestly

ratcityrain

Oct 7, 2010
Seattle
I have been wanting to try this so bad, but kinda scared too lol. I have read a lot of people being able to take their phones into a pool or something successfully.

Question, if the back and power cover are sealed correctly, will Samsung warranty the phone if it gets wet and stops working?

fastfed

Feb 13, 2008
I have been wanting to try this so bad, but kinda scared too lol. I have read a lot of people being able to take their phones into a pool or something successfully.

Question, if the back and power cover are sealed correctly, will Samsung warranty the phone if it gets wet and stops working?

How would they know if the back and power cover "were indeed on properly"?? To answer your question, no.. And as long as Samsung keeps making removable batteries (god i hope so) they never will.. All that said, make sure the back is on and power cover is locked in and dunk it!! I do it all the time. Weird but its an awesome feeling lol

ratcityrain

Oct 7, 2010
Seattle
How would they know if the back and power cover "were indeed on properly"?? To answer your question, no.. And as long as Samsung keeps making removable batteries (god i hope so) they never will.. All that said, make sure the back is on and power cover is locked in and dunk it!! I do it all the time. Weird but its an awesome feeling lol

Ya I figured that would be a tough argument with them. When it gets warmer here I will just have to jump into a pool and try it

fastfed

Feb 13, 2008
The phone has water resistance, its not water proof. Personally, I would still try and keep it away from water at all costs. Its only really meant for say like if your stuck in a storm and it gets some rain drops on it or something. I would definately still not go into a shower with it or go swimming with it.

Don't care if it says "water resistant" It's WATER PROOF!
only reason they probably don't say proof is warrant. Bottom line, it's water proof. It can withstand hours underwater with no problem.
Samsung finally made a commercial and shows people completely dousing the phones under water.

I jumped in my pool with mine. there are tons of videos online showing how water "proof" this phone actually is. I think the sony Phone that we all know is water "proof" still only has an IP67 rating