[GUIDE][KitKat][CM11] Updating to 4.4

Search This thread

coolshahabaz

Dec 1, 2012
Bombay
Hi Shabaaz,

I noticed two things with few days of usage.

1. Sometimes when I get a call, screen will not show any activity. It will stay on home screen but it will ring and vibrate. There is no option to receive the call. Notification will only pop when the call will go on missed call. I have to reboot the phone to get it working again.

2. After switching to 2g network I get no coverage. I tried flashing the baseband fix as well and toggle airplane mode. Still there is no 2g network, phone only works on 3g network.

I check okij's known bugs thread but could not find any info regarding the first issue. As I am new to the forum I dont have the right to post in the development thread.
Please let me know if you know about these issues or if this needs to be reported. :)

Okay, first thing first.... That bug you are facing is present from days of cm10 it's nothing new it only happens coz our hardware is not that power full so it's just fine.... Second problem, I don't know much about it since I heard that only from you.... I'll try to dig that out... (^_-) at least hope so:D

D5+/cm11/1.2GHz.
Sent from Tapatalk app

Reactions: Toruk_Macto

Android_74

Nov 17, 2013
Rome
Got CM11 working :eek:.

Strange thing is I was not able to flash the update recovery from stock sbf after rooting with the first given method. So was forced to go to CM10, then flashed recovery->CM11->gapps done :)

That's not strange. The update recovery works only if you flash it from twrp 2.6.0.0 . So it won't work flashing it from the cwm that comes with sndinit. Before we had to: flash sbf -> install sndinit -> flash cm10/cm10.1/cm10.2 -> flash update_recovery.zip -> flash 4.4. Now you can flash a zip called defy_twrp_recovery_2.6.3.0.zip which makes the procedure a loot simply. sbf -> sndinit -> flash the zip -> flash 4.4

Toruk_Macto

Nov 5, 2013
Pune
Okay, first thing first.... That bug you are facing is present from days of cm10 it's nothing new it only happens coz our hardware is not that power full so it's just fine.... Second problem, I don't know much about it since I heard that only from you.... I'll try to dig that out... (^_-) at least hope so:D

D5+/cm11/1.2GHz.
Sent from Tapatalk app

Thank you :eek:

That's not strange. The update recovery works only if you flash it from twrp 2.6.0.0 . So it won't work flashing it from the cwm that comes with sndinit. Before we had to: flash sbf -> install sndinit -> flash cm10/cm10.1/cm10.2 -> flash update_recovery.zip -> flash 4.4. Now you can flash a zip called defy_twrp_recovery_2.6.3.0.zip which makes the procedure a loot simply. sbf -> sndinit -> flash the zip -> flash 4.4

Got it :good:

coolshahabaz

Dec 1, 2012
Bombay
Thanks, your solution not works, but i solved the problem whit this app Defy Baseband SwitcherV4.1 :)

Fine it didn't work for you, since sometimes the system fails to save the Baseband and after restart it get back to Europe TY flashing that file will be an appropriate method and that app you are talking about is already suggested by me HERE but it fails, so this time I suggested the Flash :D

Reactions: Hemanco

weissgarnichts

Dec 14, 2010
Hi.
I had CM11 on my defy+ but the wifi did not work.
So i tried several times to flash CM11 and AOSP again and again but the last time i wipe the system so i deleted the recovery...
:(
Now the motorola-logo comes bot no blue led and no - for sure - not the CM11/AOSP.

The only thing that works is the Bootloader (Hold "Volume UP" and press the Power-Button).

How can i reinstall the recovery or do i first have to flash the defy+ stock rom?

Thanks for any hep...

Hi.
I had CM11 on my defy+ but the wifi did not work.
So i tried several times to flash CM11 and AOSP again and again but the last time i wipe the system so i deleted the recovery...
Now the motorola-logo comes bot no blue led and no - for sure - not the CM11/AOSP.

The only thing that works is the Bootloader (Hold "Volume UP" and press the Power-Button).

How can i reinstall the recovery or do i first have to flash the defy+ stock rom?

Thanks for any hep...

Flash stock sbf-> root it-> 2ndinit-> flash TWRP-> finally the Rom.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk

weissgarnichts

Dec 14, 2010
Flash stock sbf-> root it-> 2ndinit-> flash TWRP-> finally the Rom.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk

Ok. Now I am at the same point as before wiping the system.
CM11 boots but when i want to set it up, it hangs at the wifi-configuration.

It says "activating wifi..." (in german: "wlan wird aktiviert...") but nothing happens.
I used the GApps 4.2.2.
Could this be the problem?

EDIT:
Yes, that was the solution. Now i tried the 4.2.1-GApps and it worked!

EDIT 2:
But i do not have a mobile network. Only Wifi...
Thanks...

Last edited:

coolshahabaz

Dec 1, 2012
Bombay

It says "activating wifi..." (in german: "wlan wird aktiviert...") but nothing happens.
I used the GApps 4.2.2.

EDIT:

EDIT 2:
Thanks...

You mean 4.4.1/4.4.2.....for NW issue just scroll some post before your post.....

D5+/cm11/1.2GHz.
Sent from Tapatalk app

Android_74

Nov 17, 2013
Rome

I used the GApps 4.2.2.

EDIT:

EDIT 2:
Thanks...

Why did you flashed gapps 4.2.2 and 4.2.1?

Last edited:

weissgarnichts

Dec 14, 2010
Cool shahabaz just wrote it.
I meant 4.4.1 and 4.4.2

The first tutorial linked to the 4.4.2 Gapps, but only the 4.4.1 worked with mine defy,+

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5 mit Tapatalk

weissgarnichts

Dec 14, 2010
You mean 4.4.1/4.4.2.....for NW issue just scroll some post before your post.....

D5+/cm11/1.2GHz.
Sent from Tapatalk app

I tried the defy baseband switcher 4.1 but the tool says
"Unable to detect your baseband configuration, it's possibly damaged. Reset to default?"

For sure i did, but nothing changed.

EDIT: It was the SIM. With another it works. Thanks

Last edited:

coolshahabaz

Dec 1, 2012
Bombay
Please read the whole thread before posting....
Already mentioned
"you're not the first to have that problem"

D5+/cm11/1.2GHz.
Sent from Tapatalk app

weissgarnichts

Dec 14, 2010
im from india , though i flash my base band there is no network coverage available !! Do help me asap !! :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Search for "defy baseband switcher". There's a apk-version 4.1 from coolsabasash (a dropboxlink).
There you can change the baseband.

Did not solved my problem, but may be it helps you.

If you don't find the link, write again.

kartrikpal

Oct 10, 2012
Motorola Defy
Xiaomi Redmi 1S
:good:Thank you very much !! I Made it ...:good:

:cowboy:KITKAT on Defy +

NO lags , NO battery log or any problem so far
:cowboy:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-12-23-22-44-45.png
    Screenshot_2013-12-23-22-44-45.png
    201.5 KB · Views: 139
  • Screenshot_2013-12-23-22-45-35.png
    Screenshot_2013-12-23-22-45-35.png
    89.1 KB · Views: 142
  • Screenshot_2013-12-23-22-46-24.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-12-23-22-46-24.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 136

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a GUIDE for all those who are having questions about updating to KiKat

READ TILL THE LAST LINE ALL POSSIBLE FIXES ARE HERE ONLY

THIS WILL BE UPDATED REGULARLY

Link for the thread
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2515036

POST YOUR PROBLEMS HERE AND IF IT DOESN'T GET SOLVED HERE THEN POST IN ABOVE THREAD B'COZ THE DEV THREAD IS GETTING ACCUMULATED BY PROBLEMS ONLY.....AND MANY OF THEM ARE REPEATED ONE SO KINDLY SEARCH FOR YOUR PROBLEM AND THEN POST HERE YOU MAY NOT BE THE FIRST TO HAVE THAT PROBLEM :D

NEW UPDATE METHOD BY @TJKV (Date 15.Dec.13)

(THIS METHOD DOES NOT REQUIRE UPDATE TO CM10)

1. ROOT YOUR DEFY USING FRAMAROOT

2. INSTALL 2ndInit FROM HERE

3. INSTALL THE NEW RECOVERY FROM HERE
    you can skip the above two steps if you already running a custom ROM and follow 3rd and 4th step

4. NOW INSTALL THE KITKAT CM11 DIRECTLY :)

actual post by @TJKV : http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=48501247&postcount=1250

1. This is the obvious thing:D......you must have the build in your PC, best will be place it in your SDcard:good:
    don't worry if you don't have one;) you can get it from here

http://defy.bytekiste.de/

2. Now try to get the GApps since in the thread you won't get the GApps i'm giving the link here only
    get the Gapps from here :

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2012857

3. Now you have both Gapps and the build itself now what?.....
    you need an updated recovery...
    If you are on CM10, CM10.1, CM10.2, you can directly update the recovery, Now you are thinking I'm not on CM10/10.1/10.2 what should I do?:confused:
    Answer: you need to get to CM10 at least.
    here is the link for that also

CM10: http://defy.bytekiste.de/cm10-2ndboot-nightly-defy(+)/

for updating Recovery you'll get the .zip from here:

http://defy.bytekiste.de/cm11-nightly-defy+/update-recovery.zip

ABOVE STEP NO LONGER NEEDED NOW FOLLOW THE STEPS GIVEN AT START OF THE LINK IN GREEN TEXT

4. Now as you have all the tools you need. place all the above .zip file in you Defy/Defy+

# Updating Recovery: Go to recovery Mode in TWRP its better to wait for at least 30Sec after entering in recovery this waiting will ensure that your device won't Reboot when you are working in it. After update, reboot your device it is not necessary but it is okay to have one. DON'T ENTER IN SYSTEM GOTO TO RECOVERY AGIAN

# Installing CM11 : As of now you are in Recovery mode wipe the DATA, CACHE, DALVIK CACHE. Now install the zip as you do normally i.e. finding the zip in SDcard and hitting install zip.

#Installing GApps: After completing installation get on to home in select INSTALL ZIP now select the GApps file from the SDcard.

5. Final Step now again wipe the phone THIS IS ALSO NOT NECESSARY but just for safety.

FIRST BOOT MAY TAKE LONG TIME YOU MAY FEEL THAT IT STUCK ON CM LOGO BUT ITS NOT THE THING SO BE PATIENT TILL YOU GET TO THE HOME SCREEN

NOTE: SOMETIMES IT MAY HAPPEN THAT EVEN AFTER FOLLOWING THE STEP YOU GET ERROR THIS IS BECAUSE YOUR DOWNLOAD FILE IS BROKEN SO BETTER CHECK THE [MD5SUM] YOU CAN CHECK THE MD5SUM FROM ES-FILE EXPLORER

# IN FILE PROPERTIES CLICK ON "CHECKSUM"
    # THIS WILL GIVE YOU A NEW MENU THERE YOU CHECK ON MD5SUM AND HIT CALCULATE
    # NOW CHECK THAT YOUR CHECKSUM IS EQUAL TO THAT OF THE ONE AVAIL ON LINK

KNOWN ISSUES AND THEIR SOLUTIONS/REASONS:

1. "OK GOOGLE" NOT WORKING.
    # THIS IS BECAUSE DEFY/DEF+ DON'T HAVE THE OFFLINE SPEECH RECOGNITION.

TO GET THAT WORKING FOLLOW THIS

2. I AM NOT HAVING NETWORK NOW BUT IT WAS PRESENT ON FIRST BOOT OF CM11.
    # TRY TO TOGGLE THE AIRPLANE MODE. if it doesn't come after that also then flash a file from HERE

3. WHY THE VERY LEFT HOME SCREEN IS NOT THE GOOGLE NOW SCREEN?
    # THE LAUNCHER IS NOT THE ORIGINAL "GOOGLE EXPERIENCE LAUNCHER[GEL]" IT IS A MOD FROM CM.

4. I AM GETTING FORCE CLOSE [FC] WHEN I SWITCH TO ART MODE
    # ART IS NOT YET READY FOR DAILY USAGE SO STICK TO THE DALVIK ONLY
    [ for difference between ART and DALVIK see this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2529528 ]

5. WHERE IS THE DEVELOPER OPTION IN CM11?
    #GOTO ABOUT PHONE AND TAP 7 TIMES ON THE BUILD NUMBER THIS WILL ACTIVATE THE DEV MODE.

6. EXCEPT HOME KEY OTHER KEYS ARE NOT WORKING
    # YOU NEED TO FLASH AGAIN ONLY THIS CAN SOLVE THE PROBLEM BUT IF YOU WANT YOU CAN TRY ONLY WIPING DATA/CACHE.

7. Mx player not working on cm11
    # this is not related to cm11, for the time being mx player is not supported by kitkat. Wait for the mx player update
    MX PLAYER IS NOW UPDATED

8. IS THIS BUILD SUPPORT OTG?
    # YES (NOT BY DEFAULT) BUT ONLY WIRELESS MOUSE AND KEYBOARD ARE WORKING SINCE THEY REQUIRE LESS CURRENT IN SOME CASES USB STICK ARE ALSO RUNNING

GET THE OTG FROM HERE

9. WHY IS YOUTUBE VIDEOS LOOKING CHOPPY?
    #DISABLE YOUTUBE FROM THE HWA THIS WILL FIX IT

CONFIRMATION LINK
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=48564465

##################################################[29- 12 - 2013]##################################################

10. BUILD HAS OTG INBUILT BUT I CAN NOT MOUNT THE FLASH DRIVE
    > ANSWER IS SAME AS THAT OF NO.8

11. BATTERY DRAINS A LOT...
    >PATCH FOR IT BY @Quarx

12. CPU SPY SHOWS NO OR LESS DEEP SLEEP AND MORE USAGE IN 600MHz FREQ.
    >PATCH BY @Blechd0se FOR THAT PROBLEM

13.FM RADIO IS NOT WORKING.
    > INSTALL THE FM PLAYER FROM PREVIOUS BUILD OR GET THIS FM PLAYER FROM PLAY STORE

14. FLASHING THE UPDATE [ALL PATCH UPDATE] CAUSING PROBLEMS WITH REBOOT TO RECOVERY
    > some people having that problem....so if you are confused to flash it or not...I'll suggest NO, apply individual patches.

15. WiFi tethering having some issues.
    >Patch by @struq will fix that here is the patch

############################################2014 Nightlies############################################

Since I missed out with so many nightly update following bugs and workaround are referred form @okij 's buglist

>Setup wizard crashes:
    1) As a workaround, after flashing only the nightly (i.e. without gapps) do the first boot and then flash gapps after the first boot. If updating from a previous nightly, setup wizard isn't executed and so the bug doesn't occur again.
    2) (having gapps already installed) is as follows: When in setup wizard scroll down the status bar, then touch on the date, it will send you to sign on Google, after you sign just reboots and wizard will works just fine. Note: it needs Mobile data to be on by the time you boot your device
    3) remove SetupWizard.apk from the gapps package

>Dialer doesn't go into landscape mode when Defy is in car holder: Use third Party if you need that feature.

>Wifi does not return after long sleep (> $timeout minutes) when configured to sleep when screen is dark: Workaround use WiFi timeout app from Google play store

Enjoy Happy Androiding ;)

I hope this is helpful
    HIT THANKS !:angel:
    Reviving Your DEFY

For those, who screwed the DEFY down, here's my experience.

I've tried to upgrade from CM10 to CM11, but custom recovery was killed by 'update-recovery.zip'.
    Ergo, nu custom ROM could be installed.

Tools You will need:
    1. RSD Lite from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=966537
    2. Stock ROM, preferably rooted one. I've used DFP-231 from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1542956 , CE version (http://sbf.droid-developers.org/umts_jordanplus/DEFYPLUS_U3_4.5.1-134_DFP-231_GR_SIGN_UCADEFYEMARAB1B80AA004.0R_PDS03C_USAJRDNGIBRRTCEE_P022_A022_Service1FF.sbf.gz and rooted SBF from http://www.mediafire.com/?76z12j1at3etf4j ).
    3. SndInitDefy.apk, i've used one from
    4. TWRP zip file, i've used one from http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/91
    5. CyanogenMod 10. I've used Quarx's 2013-10-30 one from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1768702 (http://quarx2k.ru/cm10-2ndboot-nightly-defy(+)/cm-10-20131030-NIGHTLY-mb526.zip)
    6. CyanogenMod 11 and core of Google apps. Just follow the Thread.

So:
    1. wipe everything (data & cache) if You can. I've tried to install older ROM, so my Defy was almost bricked - no boot, black screen.
    2. Flash stock ROM.
    3. Goto stock recovery on reboot, wipe data & cache again. This will should exclude boot loop, in the case you were unable to wipe the phone in the step 1.
    4. Flash rooted SBF. This should give You root access.
    5. Again, wipe data & cache on reboot

This got me Android 2.3.6, system version 45.0.2310.MB526.NonEFIGSRetail.en.EU , baseband version EPU93_U_00.60.03 , kernel version 2.6.32-9-ge281b6e, build number 4.5.1-134_DFP-231

6. Allow to install APKs from unknown sources
    7. Enable USB debugging.
    8. Install SndInitDefy.apk, run it and install. You should grant Superuser access when asked (2 times).
    9. download TWRP recovery from http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/91
    10. Reboot to recovery (hold VOL- on blue LED when rebooting), select "Recovery" -> "Custom recovery" -> install ZIP from SD card". Install TWRP zip file.

11. It's halfway. You may take a break ;)

12. Reboot to recovery, go to "Custom recovery" and you are in the TeamWin Recovery.
    13. Install CM 10 (i've used 2013-10-30) and minimal gapps.
    14. Wipe cache and Dalvik.
    15. Reboot to CM10. You should see CianogenMod rotating logo when LED goes green from blue. The initial boot of CM 10 takes a lot of time. Be prepared. It took me about 3 hours to go to this point ;)
    12. If your TWRP is v. 2.6.3.0, you don't need this step. Reboot to recovery, go to "Custom recovery" and you are in the TeamWin Recovery. Ooops, its step 16. Deja-vu? Install 'http://defy.bytekiste.de/cm11-nightly-defy+/update-recovery.zip' as stated in the Guide.
    17. Install CM11. I've used 20131210-NIGHTLY and core gapps (12_6).
    18. Using the same TWRP boot, wipe cache , Dalvik and data.
    19. Reboot to CM 11. You will note the different CyanogenMod logo rotating, this time clockwise.
    20. IT'S SHOPPING TIME. Google account, programs, contacts, themes, etc.
    21. Search for Bugs.
    Got CM11 working :eek:.

Strange thing is I was not able to flash the update recovery from stock sbf after rooting with the first given method. So was forced to go to CM10, then flashed recovery->CM11->gapps done :)

glad to hear that my post worked for you :)
    Thanks you all. Kitakt works perfectly :)

1. flash DEFYPLUS_U3_4.5.1-134_DFP-2311 (first i try to flash froyo but later kitkat dont work)
    2. flash frameroot
    3. Install 2and init
    4. flash CWM 2.6 via 2nd init
    5.flash cm 11-2011210 via CWM

Now i am isntall gapps but system can not boot :)

try to clear the cache and dalvik..
    Hello!(Noob question !!! )
    I'm really new to this things, I did updated my Defy to CM a couple of times and had no problem. But I have with this one.

I followed all the instructions over and over again, but i get the same problem.

I instal the cm-11-20131229/cm-11-20131120 then i make the update install the GApps Standard 4.4.2 from the link and wipe.
    Reboot and it loads but I have no homescreen and no onscreen butons just the drawer that works perfectly and a couple of errors start to pop, like "Unfortunately,the process com.android.systemui has stopped" and for other Google apps.

I went to the "About Phone" and at "Model number" it says MB526 and as i know Motorola Defy should be MB525.

I'm really sorry to bother, but i tried everything i knew( and that's not very much). I would never ask for help here if i knew any other place to ask.

Thank you for doing this guide and for all those who support the community!

About the Model No. its normal 525 or 526 both have same thing under the hood....(526 is just overclocked).

Standard GAaps are too heavy for defy/defy+ we have about 320Megs os system partiotin that's why we use the CORE GAaps.(17 Megs only)....so now try the core GAaps and it'll be all fine..

D5+/cm11/1.2GHz.
    Sent from Tapatalk app