WARNING: It's now Official - Dial Pad Defunct in Skype Out for Android

Search This thread

Gadgety

May 13, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
I've got a 4G/LTE Note 8.0 N2150. Since getting this I resolved getting a one year unlimited Skype Out call subscription unlimited for my country. This is sold by Microsoft/Skype as a replacement for your phone, except for emergency calls, quote "Make internet calls for free and cheap online calls to phones and mobiles with Skype. Sign up today and discover a whole new world of staying in touch."

What Microsoft won't tell you is the dial pad doesn't work to make selections for extentions on switchboards under Android. This means all your calls to companies, institutions, government etc are defunct and requires paying extra for by using your usual cell phone SIM. Unless they have manned switchboards.

There's no information on this at all when signing up. Since the dial pad works for dialling a phone number, and the marketing is "make cheap online calls to phones" you only have two weeks to discover this and cancel your subscription.

In a one hour "support" call, where they do not up front ask for OS, device, version of Skype, etc, suggesting immature support, I was finally told that "oh, the dial pad doesn't work in Android. Never has." In the call it was blamed on Skype just recently having been acquired by Microsoft. Er, that was three years ago.

Some further investigation shows that this problem went unattended on Windows7 for a whole year 2011-2012, although Microsoft Skype now claims it's been addressed both for Windows and on Macs.

No official plans exist to address this, nor are there any replies by Skype on the forum.

So, Skype is ripe for picking unless Julie Larson-Green takes action.

Last edited: