Developing CDMA Preferred Network permanent fix

Search This thread

xak944

Jun 9, 2010
North Carolina
Google Pixel 7
I would like to open discussion on developing a permanent fix for the horrible bug with Android 2.1 CDMA devices defaulting to a Preferred Network of GSM. My goal will be to develop a script or app that will either run at boot, via a cronjob, or as an icon/widget on the homescreen that will set the Preferred Network to CDMA.

The "Testing" app (*#*#4636#*#*) looks to be /system/bin/iqd. I have used strace to capture what the process is doing when the Preferred Network is properly set to CDMA, but I could not decipher it (didn't see any I/O on any files, only RAM). I've attached my log in case someone else can make sense of it.

This is the #1 issue on my Evo, and the only thing I have done to notice any change in battery life, and the difference is absolutely huge. Without applying this fix after EVERY reboot, I only get 4 hours max out of my phone. After applying the fix, I get 8-12 hours, which is actually reasonable. This desperately needs a permanent fix, and I can't imagine I am alone here.

Cheers!

Attachments

• iqd-strace.txt
    11.2 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:

rayden1000

Jun 16, 2010
I just checked my phone, it's set to CDMA auto. I am running fully stock, but rooted and unlocked.

Rayden1000

ssjgoku24

Aug 26, 2007
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I just checked as well and this does not seem to be an issue with me. Mine is already set to CDMA(Auto). I have fresh installed and I also checked on my brothers stock Evo.

EliWay

May 19, 2006
Boston, MA
Actually I think everyone is affected by this problem.
Go to *#*#4636#*#* , phone info, and you will see that it says CDMA.

So far so good. Now, hit menu and then choose select radio band. and you will see a force close,don't panic :p now you will be back at the menu, hit phone information again and you will see that now it says GSM! choose cdma and hit back, done.

Now, I'm not sure if that actually does anything for battery life, as the phone doesn't even have a GSM radio. I think its just a pointless HTC bug from the hero days since android did not have native cdma, so HTC had to hack it in.

Last edited:

xak944

Jun 9, 2010
North Carolina
Google Pixel 7
The purpose of this thread is not to determine whether or not you are affected by the bug. There are tons of other threads discussing that. If your "Time without Signal" value is excessively high (usually around 50%), you are affected, and are only getting about half of the potential battery life from your device (for Evos, it makes the device nearly non-functional because it won't last through a day. A friend also confirmed this on his Incredible, and now gets 2 days out of his battery instead of 1).

Let's limit this thread to only those who are affected by the issue and those looking for a solution. Thanks!

Now, has anyone taken a look at my strace log? Or does anyone have any idea where/how the phone's radio values are set? I noticed some references to "ciq-backend," perhaps this is a deamon, service, or command that we could tap into. Any ideas?

Last edited:

xak944

Jun 9, 2010
North Carolina
Google Pixel 7
Now, I'm not sure if that actually does anything for battery life, as the phone doesn't even have a GSM radio.

It absolutely has a huge affect on my battery as well as two of my friends' Evos (two are 0002, one is 0003), although I can't speak for all Evo owners. We all experience the same 4-5 hours battery life without the fix, and 8-12 hours with the fix applied. It's just such a pain in the butt to do it EVERY time the phone reboots. :(

frettfreak

Jan 19, 2010
Apple Valley, CA
well, its not the fix you are looking for, BUT, i have found that it makes changing this after a reboot MUCH easier.

Download an app called simply "network" from the market.

It gets you right into the test menu, and then you can hit select radio band and complete the process from there.

I think this should be something that could be built into roms but not sure... Also.. i am still not sure that by do doing hte select radio and getting the FC, that THIS isnt what is causing use to see it come up as GSM. No proof of that other than just the thought, but it could be like a default that after the FC causes to revert to (but i did notice better batter life after it than before and its something i have dont on every rom every time i reboot since it was discoverd.

Hope the network app helps a little until there is a permanent solution!

rawdikrik

Sep 24, 2008
Arlington
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Thanks for noticing this.

I am having the same issue and i have HORRIBLE battery life. Im getting close to my 30 days and might want to switch this evo in for a newer one, but I dont want to lose root.

If i can get some more battery life out of this... I might just be a little happier.

bbedward

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 6, 2010
Cleveland, OH
I get like 12-15 without the fix and moderate usage and wifi/GPS on all the time (no 4g tho), but I tried changing it and we'll find out if it's any better.

4-5 hours has to be an exaggeration unless it's something to do with 4g :\

Jus10o

Mar 11, 2010
Its a big bug on htc phones and it will say cdma but its really on gsm.. some roms will get a "time without signal" which does drain a ton off battery cuz the phone is looking for a gsm network constantly and in a sense is roaming on cdma. We just dont see anything to do with roaming cuz its suppose to be our defaulted network.

Also we dont have a full gsm radio but we can connect to gsm networks.

Sent from my Hero CDMA using XDA App

J

jigglywiggly

Its a big bug on htc phones and it will say cdma but its really on gsm.. some roms will get a "time without signal" which does drain a ton off battery cuz the phone is looking for a gsm network constantly and in a sense is roaming on cdma. We just dont see anything to do with roaming cuz its suppose to be our defaulted network.

Also we dont have a full gsm radio but we can connect to gsm networks.

Sent from my Hero CDMA using XDA App

We can connect to GSM networks on this phone? I am confused, where have I been lol?

ssjgoku24

Aug 26, 2007
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
No these phones cannot be used on gsm.

Yes I do see that now after I hit the menu and selected the band and it does seem to be an issue. My time without signal is around 45% which is insane considering I've had full bars all day. If we can figure some way to auto set this it would be great.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

aastte83

May 18, 2010
well, its not the fix you are looking for, BUT, i have found that it makes changing this after a reboot MUCH easier.

Download an app called simply "network" from the market.

It gets you right into the test menu, and then you can hit select radio band and complete the process from there.

What option should we use when setting this app? Ive tried to use wcdma only but then I HAVE problems making regular phone calls.

liquidhaste

Jun 2, 2009
Lakeland

So far so good. Now, hit menu and then choose select radio band. and you will see a force close,don't panic :p now you will be back at the menu, hit phone information again and you will see that now it says GSM! choose cdma and hit back, done.

Now, I'm not sure if that actually does anything for battery life, as the phone doesn't even have a GSM radio. I think its just a pointless HTC bug from the hero days since android did not have native cdma, so HTC had to hack it in.

Ok, Im new to this issue. I just read the entire thread but when i hit menu and FC then hit phone information again it still says cdma auto. Is it because im using the froyo rom?

J

jigglywiggly

I am using EvolutionX, I went through the force close and went in again, it says CDMA still. No mention of GSM :)

bobr0949

Apr 3, 2010

Mine has never been GSM. It has always veeb cdma auto