Touchwiz Update bricked my non-rooted Tab (static lines across screen)!

Search This thread

sfox8

Jan 7, 2009
I decided to go ahead with the TW firmware upgrade. Everything seemed to be going fine until I tried to install it and it told me there was an error and I needed to hook it up to Kies first. I had already been using Kies with it on my Macbook for a couple weeks now so I went ahead and plugged it in. Kies recognized it as usual and all the information came up.

So I went on and tried to install again and it said it needed to reboot.

It reboots and comes to the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 screen like normal (right before it starts the galaxy animation). Next thing I know it comes to a screen that looks like the attached images! I immediately unplugged it from Kies and shut it down. Every time I start it back up it does the same thing. I honestly have NO idea what to do. I can't even return it as it's past the 14 day period and I (stupidly) didn't buy Staples' bogus $160 insurance.

I was not rooted before. This was a stock tab that I bought at staples. It had the firmware 4.24 when I bought it, I think.

Please, any help is appreciated. I tried doing firmware recovery in Kies but the pop up comes up in Korean and I have no idea what it says...

Edit: More info. I'm not the only one with this problem. Two other people have posted on AndroidPolice about this. http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/08/04/samsung-galaxy-tab-10-1-wifi-touchwiz-ux-update-is-now-live/

The software is definitely running underneath all that mess but it's literally impossible to see what is going or to touch anything.

Attachments

• IMAG0030.jpg
    IMAG0030.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 175
  • IMAG0031.jpg
    IMAG0031.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

sfox8

Jan 7, 2009
Thanks, I'm checking the thread out now. I probably should have searched more than just Google before posting but I freaked out when it happened.

Amal Kadi

Aug 5, 2011
I'm sorry but I tried reading this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1171089 and couldnt understanding what should I do!
What CWM + my device is not rooted, all I could understand is that the thread contains instructions on how to root your device..
I just want my normal screen back!
Please tell me what to do in simple english :\

Amal Kadi

Aug 5, 2011
And now I did a wipe and the stripes are gone, but the screen is black instead :\ still not working. Please help me!

tonyurquiza

Sep 20, 2010
I'm sorry but I tried reading this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1171089 and couldnt understanding what should I do!
What CWM + my device is not rooted, all I could understand is that the thread contains instructions on how to root your device..
I just want my normal screen back!
Please tell me what to do in simple english :\

haha i had the same problem go look at my threat that was posted above. in thier someone posted instructions on what to do the link you posted contains the download to the things needed heres a basic rundown of what you need to do

install clockwork recovery mod "CWM" to replace your bootloader.
download and install stock 3.1 and you should have your tab back to normal.

my help thread has the instructions to instal CWM

Amal Kadi

Aug 5, 2011
haha i had the same problem go look at my threat that was posted above. in thier someone posted instructions on what to do the link you posted contains the download to the things needed heres a basic rundown of what you need to do

install clockwork recovery mod "CWM" to replace your bootloader.
download and install stock 3.1 and you should have your tab back to normal.

my help thread has the instructions to instal CWM

So I need to follow all the steps for rooting except the last one which is the actual rooting? Great thanx! Do I need to use Kies? My current computer is Mac but I guess I need to download those things to a Windows machine to make it work, right?

Thank you very much :)

cannonballv

Jan 17, 2011
I had the same problem. I upgraded the update on my non-rooted tablet and got the funked up video mess. Per instructions from Samsung support, I hard booted to the recovery menu (power+vol down, then power up, down on download screen) and did the factory wipe. After that I ended up with the black screen. I could tell things were working in the back but couldnt see a thing. I figured I would throw it on the Kies and it saw that there was a factory upgrade so I let the Kies run through it and it works fine now.

Dont know if this will help w/other but it worked for me.

Top Liked Posts