No more HTC QWERTYs

Search This thread

CoNsPiRiSiZe

Jul 14, 2010
Roseville
Omfg yyyyy. This will not b forever....trust me. When you get a year later than this they'll make QWERTYs again because f lack of sales to an all touchscreen line up. Don't u think?

Typed by ---- oh wait! I'm schizophrenic!

rorytmeadows

Feb 6, 2008
Charleston, SC metro area
I guess that means I'll be investing my money elsewhere. It's probably a smart decision for their failing business, but Samsung will be there to pick up the slack.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201

yogi2010

Dec 22, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I think enough people are fine with all-touchscreen phones for HTC to do fine.... the article said qwerty sales just aren't cutting it enough for them to continue. In my mind, part of the problem is the keyboards aren't really good enough, but that is just my opinion. For me, I haven't seen a really good keyboard on a device that wasn't branded a Sidekick. But I think more what it is is that the iPhone kinda shaped people's perception, and for some reason people like that form factor. But I also think that some company(s) will step up and realize there is still a market for qwerty phones.

My introduction to smartphones was the old Sidekicks, so to me a smartphone is a mini console or terminal, with keyboard and landscape screen. And I'm gonna keep seeing it that way until there just aren't any more like that..... which perhaps means this might be my last HTC phone!

Blue6IX

May 20, 2011
That's a shame - they really had a happy customer in me.

I should get a galaxy with my next paycheck just to start getting used to the samsung way of things.

Motorolla is kinda in limbo until we find out whether Huwai is going to buy them or not from Google...

...who else does that leave? just off brands or low quality losers like LG - every LG phone i've ever owned was a complete and utter POS failure, and would never buy one of their products again, period.

I like HTC, but I guess they don't like me.

Reactions: Emmanuel U

pimppoet

Oct 3, 2007
soundcloud.com
I think enough people are fine with all-touchscreen phones for HTC to do fine.... the article said qwerty sales just aren't cutting it enough for them to continue. In my mind, part of the problem is the keyboards aren't really good enough, but that is just my opinion. For me, I haven't seen a really good keyboard on a device that wasn't branded a Sidekick. But I think more what it is is that the iPhone kinda shaped people's perception, and for some reason people like that form factor. But I also think that some company(s) will step up and realize there is still a market for qwerty phones.

My introduction to smartphones was the old Sidekicks, so to me a smartphone is a mini console or terminal, with keyboard and landscape screen. And I'm gonna keep seeing it that way until there just aren't any more like that..... which perhaps means this might be my last HTC phone!

excuse me...u forgot the tp2 lol...i dont even recall them releasing a tilting screen android either. Having my phone serve as its own dock would be nice again. I dont care much for the bb style kbs but the dell had some nice looking phones for wp7....it wouldve been nice to run wm or android on one. I think htc & others would do better in qwertys sales if the released higher end device instead of these cheapo lg quality ones. Far as the iphone in away it did but there also been a craze for thin/light phones. Its funny cuz those are normally the same ones complaining about battery life.

Last edited:

monkor

Mar 22, 2012
DC
What a joke...that actually really pisses me off because I woke up this morning with my new POS hummingbird processor powered samsung exhibit 1 4G and tried to draft up an article for my website, failed, and moved to my laptop. I'm a guy who has huge hands, so it's looking more and more like I'll have to scrap HTC and go with an albatross Note. Whoever said that the qwerty phones were failing because of a lack of power behind them, you're absolutely right! How can the smartphone maker not see that correlation...

Fuzi0719

Jul 15, 2009
Palm Springs, CA
Every smartphone I've ever used has had a physical keyboard. My first was the T-Mobile DASH (Win6.x), then a Moto Cliq (the best keyboard but a crappy phone). Next was the MyTouch 3G Slide, also a really nice keyboard. Now, the MT4GS. Though the keyboard on the 4GS isn't as good as the 3GS, I still prefer it over having a phone with no keyboard.

HappyKhicken

Jul 30, 2009
excuse me...u forgot the tp2 lol...i dont even recall them releasing a tilting screen android either. Having my phone serve as its own dock would be nice again. I dont care much for the bb style kbs but the dell had some nice looking phones for wp7....it wouldve been nice to run wm or android on one. I think htc & others would do better in qwertys sales if the released higher end device instead of these cheapo lg quality ones. Far as the iphone in away it did but there also been a craze for thin/light phones. Its funny cuz those are normally the same ones complaining about battery life.

I <3 my Rhodium (TP2). First smartphone I got was the Kaiser (Tilt), then the Rhodium, and now the MT4GS. The TP2 had the best keyboard of the 3 by far.

I must say I am going to miss hardware keyboards, especially from HTC since they're the only phone manufacturer I buy from. I don't think touchscreens will ever be as quick and easy as hardware keyboards are.

yogi2010

Dec 22, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
As an side: duly noted about the tp2 :) I never had one but I do hear lots of people praising that phone and it's keyboard, and not just in this thread. I also agree that for the most part, the companies sacrifice other things when they make a great keyboard.

Last edited:

rorytmeadows

Feb 6, 2008
Charleston, SC metro area
I loved my TM2 as well! The keyboard was great and only replicated on the HTC Pro, released only for Sprint in the US. Honestly, I'd probably be rocking that right now if there was a T-Mobile version in the US.

This is all sad but I'm really hoping that the niche QWERTY line continues in step with the MyTouch, Sidekick, Droid, and Samsung models. No one can ever type fast in home row fashion on a virtual keybaord with great accuracy!

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using XDA Premium App

pcmp

Apr 4, 2008
HTC is walking the same line that Nokia did a couple years ago. Consolidate! Save Resources! Be Mediocre! Lose Market Share! Sell Out to M.... Huawei?

Better know about it now, so I can start looking for another company. Samsung seems good right now. They are big enough to support a qwerty phone for a while.

gtmaster303

Oct 19, 2010
Guys, it's not like keyboards are dying out all together. Only HTC is out of the running.
Besides, we've still got a powerful device to be reckoned with

If we can get merged into the official CM tree, we will be the official most powerful QWERTY they've got. Not to mention we'll get updates for God knows how long :)
If anything this should spur us all on to dev even harder for the device and keep the keyboard legacy alive.

You can trust I will start devving myself as soon as school lets out. Anyone willing to take me on as their apprentice? :)
I know nothing, but I'm quite eager to learn if someone wants to take me under their wing.

_atlien_

May 23, 2010
ATL shawty!
I think this news will have some folks picking up doubleshots off Craigslist. This news and the realization that the phone spec wars have gotten ridiculous. I'm holding on to my doubleshot for good.

jonnycat26

Feb 16, 2008
This seems weird to me, because as far as I can remember, HTC has only released QWERTY phones with T-Mobile and Sprint. Those aren't the carriers to turn to if you want to shift a lot of phones, IMO.

I'm really hoping samsung releases a glide variant of the SGIII. I haven't seen anything about that in the leaks, so I'll likely end up using the DS until it isn't viable anymore and re-examine my options at that point.

Reactions: blackknightavalon

blackknightavalon

Feb 1, 2009
Somewhere in NYC
This seems weird to me, because as far as I can remember, HTC has only released QWERTY phones with T-Mobile and Sprint. Those aren't the carriers to turn to if you want to shift a lot of phones, IMO.

I'm really hoping samsung releases a glide variant of the SGIII. I haven't seen anything about that in the leaks, so I'll likely end up using the DS until it isn't viable anymore and re-examine my options at that point.

Same here. Samsung and Sprint are looking better and better as time goes on.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

its about time. keyboards are so outdated. touchscreen tech has improved over the years to where keyboards are outdated. Htc made the right choice.

When they solve the two problems of:

1 - losing screen real estate to the keyboard, by covering up whatever the screen is displaying by presenting keys to press

2 - the smooth, unbroken surface preventing a differentiation between buttons to press

then i'll be interested.

Until then...
    Just face it. People who like keyboards on smartphones are less then 0.2% of all smart phone users. We are the minority so even if u never buy another htc device becuz of the decision to stop making keyboard smartphones wont even make a small dent in there profits. Thus htc couldnt care any less. The DS was a huge flop for both Htc and Tmo. Only 32% of consumers who own the Doubleshot actually paid cash to buy it. The other 68% got the device thru either warranty exchange when they discontinued the Htc Glacier or thru Asurion Insurance. That is also the main reason why this Device wont get official ICS. It was a short lived device with a small user base.

Even if you didn't make the numbers up, you're still only thinking about this one phone. T-Mobile is just a small user base in itself.

You can blame Steve Jobs for all of this. This asshole thought he could tell people what they wanted and people just ate it up. iPhone didn't need a keyboard so you don't need one. Now you have 99.8% (according to your numbers) ignorant asses just getting whatever they are told to buy (or whatever clever advertising makes them feel like buying).

Hard keyboards are more efficient, plain and simple. People are only getting away without it because they are using retarded English in their text messages:

"dont 4get 2 get bred at store 2nite"

I'm sorry. If you text like that, you need to be punched in the face.

That's a shame - they really had a happy customer in me.

I should get a galaxy with my next paycheck just to start getting used to the samsung way of things.

Motorolla is kinda in limbo until we find out whether Huwai is going to buy them or not from Google...

...who else does that leave? just off brands or low quality losers like LG - every LG phone i've ever owned was a complete and utter POS failure, and would never buy one of their products again, period.

I like HTC, but I guess they don't like me.

Hard keyboards are more efficient, plain and simple. People are only getting away without it because they are using retarded English in their text messages:

"dont 4get 2 get bred at store 2nite"

I'm sorry. If you text like that, you need to be punched in the face.

Thank you - someone gets it.

I've seen, been sent even, emails from corporate higher ups that read like that (maybe not quite that bad - but damn close) and refuse to sacrifice my professionalism because I have to make do with inefficient hardware.

My primary interest in having a smart phone is as a job necessity. I need to be able to send/receive emails on the spot in a rapidly evolving environment. Take pictures of what's happening and receive updated schematics based on what i'm sending back.

Prior my setup was a laptop, portable printer and digital camera.

In this device I have it all in one spot, and don't need a printer.

Without a hardware keyboard, having to drag around a bluetooth keyboard or something will send me right back to other hardware and drive me out of the smartphone market.

Yes, people who send messages like this do need to be punched in the face - I will agree emphatically with this statement.

Social interaction is being reduced to kindergarten level, even from supposed professional people - and I refuse to be a part of it. If that means the end of my participation in places like this due to a lack of hardware worth working on, then so be it.