[Q] Recommend ROM/Kernel for W8 Canadian version

Search This thread

harry_fine

Nov 9, 2011
Toronto
Is there anyone here with experience with the 900W8 (the Canadian version) on a customer ROM and kernel combination? I am rooted of course, want to get something that will give me more control, battery life, extra features.

Thanks

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
want to get something that will give me more control, battery life, extra features.

You request is a bit vague.. what extra features are you looking for? Quite a few features require root and some require a custom kernels or recovery. The latter will trip the Knox flag. That doesn't matter to most people, but be aware that some carriers may try to deny warranty claims if you increment your Knox flag.

Towel root is the preferred rooting method for most people. It will work on pre June 6th firmware builds. You neglected to tell us what firmware build you had, but in any event if your firmware is newer than June 6th, you'd need to use the Odin software to write a pre-June 6th stock firmware to your phone first. Then use Towel root to root.

Then probably install a custom ROM that debloats your phone, making it smoother and faster, more power efficient, etc. And adding a lot of extra features and customizations. I like the Phoenix ROM for the S5. But there are a lot of other good ROMs e.g. Alliance, XtreStoLite, et al.

harry_fine

Nov 9, 2011
Toronto
Already have custom recovery and Knox tripped, thats not the issue.

There are so many different varients of S5 just looking for personal success stories for those with the Canadian W8 version to make sure radios wirk, don't brick etc.

You request is a bit vague.. what extra features are you looking for? Quite a few features require root and some require a custom kernels or recovery. The latter will trip the Knox flag. That doesn't matter to most people, but be aware that some carriers may try to deny warranty claims if you increment your Knox flag.

Towel root is the preferred rooting method for most people. It will work on pre June 6th firmware builds. You neglected to tell us what firmware build you had, but in any event if your firmware is newer than June 6th, you'd need to use the Odin software to write a pre-June 6th stock firmware to your phone first. Then use Towel root to root.

Then probably install a custom ROM that debloats your phone, making it smoother and faster, more power efficient, etc. And adding a lot of extra features and customizations. I like the Phoenix ROM for the S5. But there are a lot of other good ROMs e.g. Alliance, XtreStoLite, et al.