Solution to the HD2's crappy keyboard!(updated 10/3/2010!now with working xt9 button)

Search This thread
Ive managed to edit some of the xml files for the built in keyboard and i have to say that it works so much better now.

the idea to make the keyboard work better was inspired by how the buttons were spaced on the iphone. i noticed that they were spaced farther apart compared to the hd2 so i painstakingly edited every buttons' "virtual" position and this has resulted in a keyboard that is much more responsive(the lags seem to have lessened considerably) and accuracy in typing is now at par with an iphone.

i never use xt9 so i just removed it(in the 1st three attachments)w/c also resulted in reduced mis pressing it when trying to press an "A".

i also moved the dpad arrows(also in the 1st three attachments) to the top making the period, comma and spacebar easier to press without mistakes.

the backspace button has been enlarged for better ergonomics.

to lycox, thanks for letting me use your skin. heres the link to the original skin's thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=709916

thanks also goes to p107r0 for leading me in the right direction.

this wouldnt have been possible without XmlGui so big thank yous to programatix.

Instructions: download the attached rar files.unrar and copy all files inside the folder directly to the windows directory of your HD2(you will need a 3rd party file explorer like resco to overwrite the existing files). soft reset. thats it...

i strongly suggest to backup all the files to be replaced just in case something goes awry.

do this at your own risk.please dont blame me if your phone suddenly gets bricked. mine worked perfectly after replacing all files.

please leave a comment after youve tried it.

this is only for portrait mode. i didnt touch landscape coz i dont use it...

if theres anyone kind enough to make a cab file out of this please do.

EDIT: if you need xt9 use the Orig KB Edited attachment

Update: i made a version 2 of the mod with the spaces between the buttons even farther apart. some people might find this more comfortable but the mod sometimes results in "no presses". and by the way i succesfully skinned the spacebar and shift key thanks to dinik and p107r0.use the attached sipmap.dll in the fallout keyboard rar file but its far from perfect.eg:the .com button has disappeared.i have to look into this a bit more to fix it...
if you want the original gtx skin just replace the fallout png files with the ones from the edited kb rar file.

EDIT 2: i added an original version with the arrows at the bottom and the xt9 working.

EDIT 3: i know its a bit confusing but to shed some light on all the attached files heres an explanation.

the first one(Edited KB.rar) is exactly like Edit KB by boogiecornejo.cab except in cab form.

the third(FAllout KB.rar) is like the first two except that its semi skinned with a fallout theme.

the last(Orig KB Edited10-3-2010) contains the files needed to replace in the windows folder to get the functionality of my mod using whatever keyboard you already have(assuming its a normal layout eg: with the directional arrows at the bottom) in your device.

i hope that shed some light on whatever questions there are about the files...

Last edited:
Reactions: phoneXx

shthpnz

Dec 8, 2007
Madurodam
Thanks!
I abandoned the original due to the many typo's. My first impression of your modded version is very positive.

Regards,

Dunc001

Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 6, 2010
Hiding out south of the border...
How do you switch from alpha to numeric keys (can see how to get back but how do you get to it in the first place)? Does it still use XT9 and error correction as per original even though you've removed the XT9 button?

How do you switch from alpha to numeric keys (can see how to get back but how do you get to it in the first place)? Does it still use XT9 and error correction as per original even though you've removed the XT9 button?

hello dunc!to switch from alpha to numeric just press the @ button.

xt9 is completely disabled and im not really sure how to turn it on without having to go back to the drawing board. editing the xml file is to say the least "tedious" but if a lot of people would request it back i might, as i said, "go back to the drawing board" :)

its actually a miracle of sorts that this mod worked coz im not really into developing anything on these forums. this is actually my first real contribution to the community despite having been around for the last 6 or 7 years...

wakers

Jan 17, 2010
www.rushcycles.co.uk
I would like to give it ago but i do use the XT9 function all the time, at the moment i've gone back to the old style phone keypad rather than a qwerty keyboard as it seems to be less laggy and the buttons are far larger (i got fat fingers)

Good work on this though i'm surprised no one else has done something before wish i knew where to start :)

ClementNg23

Jan 20, 2010
Sydney
lol congrats on this release.
to me it is difinately looking very impressive.
+1 to go on the xda portal

oh would difinately try it out once it has got some decent skins cause it currently looks.... kinda like a little bit like spiking my eye. along would my screwed up today screen I just dont want anything else added into the phone....
will report back once I reflashed and installed the keyboard.

congrats, good luck, and keep up this master piece

cheers

If i install the cab and don't like it, will it restore back to the original keyboard ?

i actually dont know so i suggest you download both the cab and rar files.open up the rar and see what files are there then backup the original ones of your hd2. install the cab file and if you dont like it then just put back the original ones into your windows/ folder.

hope that helped...

lol congrats on this release.
to me it is difinately looking very impressive.
+1 to go on the xda portal

oh would difinately try it out once it has got some decent skins cause it currently looks.... kinda like a little bit like spiking my eye. along would my screwed up today screen I just dont want anything else added into the phone....
will report back once I reflashed and installed the keyboard.

congrats, good luck, and keep up this master piece

cheers

hahaha! i know!i tried making a fallout style skin but the letters are kinda muddied so bye to that but rest assured one of these days a good looking skin will certainly pop up.

btw does anyone know which files to replace to change the spacebar and shift button?

alesscam

i actually dont know so i suggest you download both the cab and rar files.open up the rar and see what files are there then backup the original ones of your hd2. install the cab file and if you dont like it then just put back the original ones into your windows/ folder.

hope that helped...

for restore an original KB
simply unistall my cab ;)

bluxero

Mar 13, 2010
Nashua
I've got the same issue. None of the keys match up even though the pop-up of each key press is correct.

EDIT: It looks like it was just an issue with XT9. XT9 must be turned off before using this layout. Just go into any of the other keyboard layouts, select ABC instead of XT9, switch back to Full QWERTY keyboard, and everything works like its supposed to do.

Thank you Boogiecornejo for making HD2 keyboard finally functional. I went from an iPhone to the HD2 and I always missed how well the keyboard worked. Great Work!!

Last edited:
I've got the same issue. None of the keys match up even though the pop-up of each key press is correct.

EDIT: It looks like it was just an issue with XT9. XT9 must be turned off before using this layout. Just go into any of the other keyboard layouts, select ABC instead of XT9, switch back to Full QWERTY keyboard, and everything works like its supposed to do.

Thank you Boogiecornejo for making HD2 keyboard finally functional. I went from an iPhone to the HD2 and I always missed how well the keyboard worked. Great Work!!

youre very welcome!

i concur with bluxero, you cant use this layout with xt9.

so now im so hyped about this that i gave skinning the keyboard another try and heres the result...

i pretty much like it coz i use the fallout theme but i cant seem to skin the space bar and the shift key. any help pls....

Attachments

• Screenshot3.jpg
    Screenshot3.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,197
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ive managed to edit some of the xml files for the built in keyboard and i have to say that it works so much better now.

the idea to make the keyboard work better was inspired by how the buttons were spaced on the iphone. i noticed that they were spaced farther apart compared to the hd2 so i painstakingly edited every buttons' "virtual" position and this has resulted in a keyboard that is much more responsive(the lags seem to have lessened considerably) and accuracy in typing is now at par with an iphone.

i never use xt9 so i just removed it(in the 1st three attachments)w/c also resulted in reduced mis pressing it when trying to press an "A".

i also moved the dpad arrows(also in the 1st three attachments) to the top making the period, comma and spacebar easier to press without mistakes.

the backspace button has been enlarged for better ergonomics.

to lycox, thanks for letting me use your skin. heres the link to the original skin's thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=709916

thanks also goes to p107r0 for leading me in the right direction.

this wouldnt have been possible without XmlGui so big thank yous to programatix.

Instructions: download the attached rar files.unrar and copy all files inside the folder directly to the windows directory of your HD2(you will need a 3rd party file explorer like resco to overwrite the existing files). soft reset. thats it...

i strongly suggest to backup all the files to be replaced just in case something goes awry.

do this at your own risk.please dont blame me if your phone suddenly gets bricked. mine worked perfectly after replacing all files.

please leave a comment after youve tried it.

this is only for portrait mode. i didnt touch landscape coz i dont use it...

if theres anyone kind enough to make a cab file out of this please do.

EDIT: if you need xt9 use the Orig KB Edited attachment

Update: i made a version 2 of the mod with the spaces between the buttons even farther apart. some people might find this more comfortable but the mod sometimes results in "no presses". and by the way i succesfully skinned the spacebar and shift key thanks to dinik and p107r0.use the attached sipmap.dll in the fallout keyboard rar file but its far from perfect.eg:the .com button has disappeared.i have to look into this a bit more to fix it...
    if you want the original gtx skin just replace the fallout png files with the ones from the edited kb rar file.

EDIT 2: i added an original version with the arrows at the bottom and the xt9 working.

EDIT 3: i know its a bit confusing but to shed some light on all the attached files heres an explanation.

the first one(Edited KB.rar) is exactly like Edit KB by boogiecornejo.cab except in cab form.

the third(FAllout KB.rar) is like the first two except that its semi skinned with a fallout theme.

the last(Orig KB Edited10-3-2010) contains the files needed to replace in the windows folder to get the functionality of my mod using whatever keyboard you already have(assuming its a normal layout eg: with the directional arrows at the bottom) in your device.

i hope that shed some light on whatever questions there are about the files...