[PRJ] Announce: Wing Linux 0.4pre4 Released

Search This thread

darkstar62

Sep 20, 2008
All,

Wing Linux version 0.4pre4 (development) has been released to our project page at:

http://wing-linux.sf.net

Wing Linux is a project devoted to Linux and Android on OMAP850-based devices. Currently, our project has support for the following devices:

• HTC Artemis (preliminary)
  • HTC Elf / Elfin
  • HTC Excalibur
  • HTC Gene
  • HTC Herald
  • HTC Opal
  • HTC Pharos
  • HTC Prophet
  • HTC Wizard

Other devices may work too -- Give it a try!

We have Android 1.5 (Cupcake) and Angstrom 2007.12 running on these devices, with keyboard / buttons, backlights, bluetooth, GSM/GPRS working in various states on all devices. The best supported devices are the Wizard and the Herald, but others work well too. See detailed device status at:

http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/wing-linux/wiki/Devices

Features from 0.4pre3 include:

• Provisioning patch added so Android can receive calls on first boot
  • New AT&T APN support
  • New board support for HTC Opal, Pharos, and Excalibur
  • Fixed reset_ts functionality so it doesn't loop forever
  • Video rotation on keyboard slide fixed for Wizard and many others
  • New keybindings for Elf and Elfin
  • Fixed SD card mounting in Android
  • Added new fake battery driver so no more /sys_dev cludge is needed to boot Android
  • Lots of miscellaneous bug fixes

- darkstar62

P

pongothemagnificent

Trying it out on my tornado, im going to try the excalibur config this time :p, wish me luck xD.

P

pongothemagnificent

IT WORK'T =D, im on android, but all the buttons are mess up,anyways il join wing-linux tomorrow so we can sort this out :p

cornelha

Dec 14, 2007
Cape Town
boots 1st time on my Wizard. Brilliant work thank you so much. Cant wait to see what happens next with this project

coebergh

Jan 19, 2009
So is this just a cab file that you can install on your SD card or is it a whole new OS? And if it's a cab, can you uninstall it too? Want to see how it works on omnia but dont wanna mess up my phone :p

d3sm0nd

Dec 28, 2007
Sofia
Why porting Linux/Android to so old devices? What's the point? On the other side nobody is working to port Android to HTC Topaz/Rhodium.

darkstar62

Sep 20, 2008
So is this just a cab file that you can install on your SD card or is it a whole new OS? And if it's a cab, can you uninstall it too? Want to see how it works on omnia but dont wanna mess up my phone :p

It installs as an add-on to your existing programs, no replacement at all. So you can uninstall it if you like. When you start it, Windows is replaced in memory by Linux until you reboot again. Then, you're back in Windows.

Why porting Linux/Android to so old devices? What's the point? On the other side nobody is working to port Android to HTC Topaz/Rhodium.

Well, mainly because we have these old devices, and very few people have the Topaz/Rhodium. Also, it's fun!

- d

Ather

Retired Senior Moderator
May 26, 2007
old is gold...

Edit : will try this on my Wizard, eventhough i have a G1, still fun to play on teh wizard :D