RAZR HD XT925 Rogers/Fido now receiving Jelly bean!

Search This thread

biKF

Aug 4, 2011
Update Methodology

I am on stock Rogers firmware and it's still not working. I've tried a bunch of different things including using CWM to flash it but it still doesn't work. I get errors.

You can downgrade to the stock ICS rom from Jelly Bean in fastboot by deleting a couple of lines from the .xml file in the .zip file. I forget what they are off the top of my head, but I think they were right at the beginning near the "getvar" line.

I've been updating many phones with CWM before but I just recently bought a Rogers XT925 that I have unlocked and will be using on Koodo. Right now, other than being unlocked it is stock. Am I correct in assuming that I need to use RSD to flash this .ZIP file after putting it in Fastboot mode?

Thanks for the download source!

saloums7

Jul 19, 2012
Montreal
I've been updating many phones with CWM before but I just recently bought a Rogers XT925 that I have unlocked and will be using on Koodo. Right now, other than being unlocked it is stock. Am I correct in assuming that I need to use RSD to flash this .ZIP file after putting it in Fastboot mode?

Thanks for the download source!

You can't flash an OTA with RSD. If you really wanna use RSD you would have to wait for the fastboot files

SickBeast

May 15, 2011
No, I think you have to do it using the stock recovery. I posted instructions in the thread in the android development forum but it gives an error and does not work. I need a guru to help me figure out how to install this.

biKF

Aug 4, 2011
Update method

No, I think you have to do it using the stock recovery. I posted instructions in the thread in the android development forum but it gives an error and does not work. I need a guru to help me figure out how to install this.

This is sort of the reason I asked the question. This thread give links to the update file but not how to do it.

SickBeast

May 15, 2011
http://d-h.st/JNV

You need to be on Rogers stock firmware to apply it. If you're not, grab the fastboot files from sbf.Droidevelopers.org.

If you're on jelly bean already (from another variety like telstra), you might have to wait until the firmware team locates the fastboot files for jelly bean.

Can someone confirm if you can fastboot ICS over JB? if so, what's the process?

Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk 2

This is sort of the reason I asked the question. This thread give links to the update file but not how to do it.
Here are the steps:
1. put the .zip file onto your external sd card
2. boot into recovery by holding volume up and then pressing power, then use volume down until you get to "recovery" and press volume up to select it
3. once the Android with the belly open logo shows, press both Volume Up and Volume Down
4. use Volume Down to navigate 'Update from External Data' and press 'Power' to select it
5. use Volume Down to navigate to the .zip file and press 'Power' to select it

There is something else we have to do thought; we need to alter the .zip file so that it will install correctly. I tried a few things already but nothing is working.

Reactions: Jimmiray007

saloums7

Jul 19, 2012
Montreal
Here are the steps:
1. put the .zip file onto your external sd card
2. boot into recovery by holding volume up and then pressing power, then use volume down until you get to "recovery" and press volume up to select it
3. once the Android with the belly open logo shows, press both Volume Up and Volume Down
4. use Volume Down to navigate 'Update from External Data' and press 'Power' to select it
5. use Volume Down to navigate to the .zip file and press 'Power' to select it

There is something else we have to do thought; we need to alter the .zip file so that it will install correctly. I tried a few things already but nothing is working.

I managed to install it through stock recovery and so far it's working just fine! I'm booting it up as I'm writing this.
The only difference in the way I did it was that instead of keeping the zip on the SD move it to /Cache!

Here are my steps:
1. Download & put ZIP on SD.
2. Using ES File Explorer with Root I moved the file to /cache NOT system/cache.
3. Boot up in recovery using Volume Up and Volume Down, select Recovery.
4. Select "Update from cache" & select your file
5. Give it time :)
6. Enjoy JB!

NOTE: To preserve root you must use OTA Rootkeeper or the Survival mode on SuperSU
Edit: Survival mode didn't preserve root...

Last edited:

davidjames4

Apr 13, 2011
Toronto
I think I'm just going to use this time to back up my phone, wipe it, root it and and put on root keeper and wait the few days for my turn for a nice clean update.

Sent from my XT925 using xda app-developers app

SickBeast

May 15, 2011
I managed to install it through stock recovery and so far it's working just fine! I'm booting it up as I'm writing this.
The only difference in the way I did it was that instead of keeping the zip on the SD move it to /Cache!

Here are my steps:
1. Download & put ZIP on SD.
2. Using ES File Explorer with Root I moved the file to /cache NOT system/cache.
3. Boot up in recovery using Volume Up and Volume Down, select Recovery.
4. Select "Update from cache" & select your file
5. Give it time :)
6. Enjoy JB!

NOTE: To preserve root you must use OTA Rootkeeper or the Survival mode on SuperSU
Edit: Survival mode didn't preserve root...
Thanks for that but even using your method I'm getting an error message and it won't install.

danifunker

Sep 12, 2011
Toronto
www.funkervogt.com
Thanks dani!

This will work over Fido software too, right?

Su

This should work for Fido, you should try it out though.

---------- Post added at 11:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

I think I'm just going to use this time to back up my phone, wipe it, root it and and put on root keeper and wait the few days for my turn for a nice clean update.

Fyi, they did come up with a jelly bean root hack recently. Check the development forum. I don't think you need to apply root before going to JB since you can do it after you update.

SickBeast

May 15, 2011
We really need to figure out how people can install this when they have flashed other ROMs. Even after flashing back to the stock Rogers ROM using RSD Lite I cannot install this update. It's really upsetting. I would have never flashed to a different ROM had I known that you can not go back to stock properly.

---------- Post added at 07:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 PM ----------

how long do you guys think it will be before we have the full ROM that we can flash in RSD Lite?

Sumanji

Apr 1, 2012
Durham, NC
Is there any benefit of flashing the full ROM vs. the update only?

(Obviously apart from being the only option if the update does not work :p)

SickBeast

May 15, 2011
We need someone to post the Fido Jelly Bean update .zip file as the one that we have now only seems to work on Rogers.

saloums7

Jul 19, 2012
Montreal
Nobody so far, with a Rogers phone confirm that he managed sucssefully to install the JB zip upgrade..

I've successfully managed to install the JB zip upgrade. But I lost root using SuperSu's survival mode. I downgraded back to ICS (unlocked BL) and tried again after rooting and protecting root with OTA Rootkeeper and I'm getting the error...

Silly22

Feb 10, 2008
OnePlus 3
LG V30
Hey all,

When I posted the zip file in the thread in the Android Development forum I didn't mention clearly that it was stored in my /cache folder (at the root directory). And that there was also a file called Blur_Version.7.5.492002.XT925.RCI.en.CA.crc in the same folder. I have no idea if the CRC file will affect the update or not. But it was sitting in that /cache folder too.

I have attached the .crc file to this post but you will have to rename from .txt because I can only attach .txt's here. Also notice, that I had renamed the update zip file from Blur_Version.7.5.492002.XT925.RCI.en.CA.zip to Blur_Version.7.5.492002.XT925-98.21.122002.RCI.en.CA.zip, when I uploaded it to Megaupload, to make sure that it was clear this was the 98.21.122002 update. When I downloaded it over-the-air, it was named the former... So you might want to make it match the former.

No idea if any of that will help but perhaps worth trying putting the CRC in the /cache folder too.

Attachments

• Blur_Version.7.5.492002.XT925.RCI.en.CA.crc.txt
    9 bytes · Views: 205
Reactions: SickBeast

saloums7

Jul 19, 2012
Montreal
Can't manage to update after fastbooting back to 4.0.4 I'm getting the error others are getting... Maybe something with the 4.0.4 SBF? idk hoping the SBF for JB shows up soon

SickBeast

May 15, 2011
Hey all,

When I posted the zip file in the thread in the Android Development forum I didn't mention clearly that it was stored in my /cache folder (at the root directory). And that there was also a file called Blur_Version.7.5.492002.XT925.RCI.en.CA.crc in the same folder. I have no idea if the CRC file will affect the update or not. But it was sitting in that /cache folder too.

I have attached the .crc file to this post but you will have to rename from .txt because I can only attach .txt's here. Also notice, that I had renamed the update zip file from Blur_Version.7.5.492002.XT925.RCI.en.CA.zip to Blur_Version.7.5.492002.XT925-98.21.122002.RCI.en.CA.zip, when I uploaded it to Megaupload, to make sure that it was clear this was the 98.21.122002 update. When I downloaded it over-the-air, it was named the former... So you might want to make it match the former.

No idea if any of that will help but perhaps worth trying putting the CRC in the /cache folder too.

Thank you for all that you're doing to help us out, but that still didn't fix it. I re-named the file and added the CRC file and it's still not working.

I'm sure that there is a simple fix. We need to edit a file within the .zip file. Perhaps someone will know more than me about this stuff. What I discovered was that there is a file called "updater_script" within the .zip file in \META-INF\com\google\android. That file contains lines of text that are related to the error we are having. However, even if you delete those 2 lines it still won't install and it gives a different error.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    User Generated Rogers RAZR HD Fastboot XML file

To those with unlocked bootloaders who want to try to get back onto Rogers Stock - Jelly Bean edition.

Again, you need to be unlocked in order for this to work (your warranty is already void)

chgrbt from XDA has provided me with a user generated fastboot file. After a couple of people tried it on here, they weren't successful so I added some extra steps to the flash process.

This is about a 500 download, compressed with 7zip.

http://d-h.st/9xj

Once downloaded, extract the files to a folder, be sure your phone can communicate with the computer in fastboot mode. Then run install.bat or linuxflash.sh in Linux (for Linux you need to chmod 775 on the file).

You CANNOT flash this with RSDLite, you must use the install.bat in the folder in windows, or Linuxflash.sh in Linux.

If you have any failures, try run flash-partition.bat under the Partition folder. This is the original file that was included with the Rogers fastboot provided by the firmware team, and was not patched or updated in the Jelly bean update. Once you've flashed the "partition" partition, try re-running install.bat.

You should be on Rogers JB Stock (with rooted) after this process, but I can't guarantee. Let me know if there are any problems, I hope this works!

If this post helped you please thank me and the one above this one by chgrbt!
    Personally, I'm not blown away with JB compared to ICS. Been on JB for a couple weeks now. The phone was very fluid with ICS, so I'm not seeing a benefit from JB's "butter", also I'm not using any of the software upgrades like Google Now. I'm actually a bit disappointed that I can't easily regain the home screen space when I disable the Google search bar like I did in ICS.

Time will tell but based on what I've seen so far, ICS was fine for me.

Sent from my XT925 using xda premium
    How I Got Back Root...

I lost root too with just voodoo :(

---------- Post added at 05:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:33 AM ----------

Can you provide a quick step by step? Will this work if I already updated to JB with voodoo backup?

Okay, it will be rather simple since I only did a couple of steps:

1. Before I updated to 4.1.2, I downloaded and installed Voodoo Root Keeper. I ran the app which gave me the status of having "SU protected".

2. I received the update message for OTA update. I accepted the various terms and let the update complete. I don't know if it makes a difference, but like the first time I setup the phone, I did not allow the phone to be "configured for the SIM". (I'm on Koodo, so no need from Roger/Fido bloat).

3. I ran Voodoo again after the update, and tried to "Restore Root". The status came back as my phone was not rooted. I verified in Android Terminal and Root Explorer that I did NOT have root access anymore.

4. A quick search with Root Explorer and I found the back (su-backup) at /system/user/we-need-root/su-backup.

5. I Googled a bunch of things and found that Matt's Root Restore script could work. I downloaded it from:

http://www.batakang.com/ftp/DROID_RAZR/RestoreRoot.zip

6. I ran the script from my PC with the phone connected. It looks for the su-backup file in a number of places in the phone and then places it back in the /system/xbin directory which seems to get wiped during the upgrade. Watch the script for a small number required inputs. If the script works, you will need to provide an input on your phone to grant SU access, just like when you were rooted before.

7. This script installs SuperSU on your phone, so currently I have both SuperUser and SuperSU. I have asked the script writer if I can uninstall the old SuperUser app without issue. I will post back with his answer.

Does this help?

Did it work for anyone else?
    Some edits that should be brought to the files before starting ANYTHING!
    Go to the Windows folder, drag out the directory to the same level folder as the fastboot.bat script
    After you'Ve done this, RENAME! the fastboot.bat script Or you will get stuck in a loop since the script refers to fastboot.exe as fastboot, but since there is both fastboot.exe and fastboot.bat it's refering to itself. So just rename it to install.bat and double click and run :)

@Danifunker : Works! But you have to make the changes I mentionned or else nothing's gonna happen it's gonna keep refering to itself and looping at first line. Make those changes and re-up and it's gonna work perfect! (I replaced recovery.img by cwm so I can't do it for you)

I just re-wrote the script so it calls Windows\fastboot, the new URL 7 shouldn't require you to make the changes as mentioned above.

Can you post 2 screenshots of your about screens (one top part, one bottom part)?

Thanks!